If we can no longer share on DDP then...

Booknut

<font color=green>I couldn't figure out why people
would someone explain to me how they plan to enforce this? :confused3

I mean, if I go to a restaurant and we say we are only eating 1 full meal (app/main course/dess) how can they make you eat 2? If I eat the appetizer and DH eats the main course and we share dessert, are we going to have waiters standing over us or removing cutlery??!! The whole thing seems ludicrous to me. How can you make people 'not share' at a normal restaurant? What's it to them who eats what? They don't lose out if we choose to share one meal at Sci Fi and another meal at California Grill, its our meals, we're not ripping them off!

I really am very confused about this because DH and I like the DDP but its way too much food to have in a week so being able to split it up a bit makes it easier. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if we're forced to give up 1TS each time we sit down in a restaurant.

Has anyone here had to use a TS they hadn't wanted to use?

i thought the idea wasn't that you couldn't share, but that they would still deduct 2 credits?

cami
x

barrett7890 said:
i thought the idea wasn't that you couldn't share, but that they would still deduct 2 credits?

cami
x

It's the same thing. You shouldn't be forced to use a TS credit if you don't want to (when nonbuffet, non entertainment dining). I think its perfectly reasonable for someone that has used multiple TS credits at HoopDeDoo or signiture restaruants to share their ADULT TS credit with another adult or a child at another meal.

Many restaurants (I am not talking just Disney) require that each person at the table must order or they tack on a "seating" fee. They will not make you eat the food, but they are saying they will deduct the credits as if you ate the food.

Just a questions. If you only eat one meal at each place then why buy the DDP. It would seem you would end up with 1 person's worth of unused credits when you leave.

If you really refer to eat this way then maybe the DDP is not your best option.

mickeyfan2 said:
Just a questions. If you only eat one meal at each place then why buy the DDP. It would seem you would end up with 1 person's worth of unused credits when you leave.

If you really refer to eat this way then maybe the DDP is not your best option.

Well, if you buy the dining plan but prefer to eat at the signature restaurants for instance, which take 2TS, you can do this if you share at the smaller restaurants a few times.

If you want to eat at signature places most of the time then you are going to have to just pay OOP for the 1 cresit meals. Seeing the DDP saves massive amounts of $$$ this shouldn't be a problem. I don't blame Disney for this new non sharing deal.

DaisyD said:
If you want to eat at signature places most of the time then you are going to have to just pay OOP for the 1 cresit meals. Seeing the DDP saves massive amounts of $$$ this shouldn't be a problem. I don't blame Disney for this new non sharing deal.

Then all diners, even outside of the plan, should not be allowed to share and should have minimum order requirements. They don't do that b/c it seems very un-Disney. It definately seems easier, though, to go all in or all out of the DDP. It still seems odd to me that if you go to TS restaurant with young kids that hardly eat, that you must order them a full meal. If we accept that the adults can't share and order some things OOP, then the table has 2 appets, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. It seems reasonable with that amount of food NOT to order anything for the kids and let them share with a parent. If this is not allowed on the DDP then it should not be allowed for cash customers either.

If folks don't like being subject to rules (especially rules that are subject to change without notice, and rules that are often left up to local management and staff to interpret on their own) they should elect not to take advantage of the Dining Plan. Fairness is served by your ability to simply pay OOP for everything.

ReallyFunMom said:
Then all diners, even outside of the plan, should not be allowed to share and should have minimum order requirements. They don't do that b/c it seems very un-Disney. It definately seems easier, though, to go all in or all out of the DDP. It still seems odd to me that if you go to TS restaurant with young kids that hardly eat, that you must order them a full meal. If we accept that the adults can't share and order some things OOP, then the table has 2 appets, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. It seems reasonable with that amount of food NOT to order anything for the kids and let them share with a parent. If this is not allowed on the DDP then it should not be allowed for cash customers either.

I don't think sharing should be allowed at any TS service restaurant. Many that we dine at will charge a $10 sharing fee so maybe that might be in order here too. My DD doesn't eat much at all so for TS we get a child's meal and let her graze off that. It costs me a measly $6 and if she doesn't finish it I don't care. The last thing I'm getting a small eater is an appetizer too. For the dining plan no one has to get an appetizer, entree, and dessert. It is allowable but not mandatory. If you are a small eater then just leave off the appetizer for yourself and the dessert too if needed. Just because it comes with all that food doesn't mean one has to use it up. That is why we don't get the DDP even if it is free. We don't like to gorge ourselves.

ReallyFunMom said:
But you are assuming that the OOP person would order 2 appets, 2 adult entrees and 2 desserts for two adults and two kids. I think they would more likely order 2 adult entrees and 2 kid entrees. All would be full and all would have ordered.

mickeyfan2 said:
But you are assuming that the OOP person would order 2 appets, 2 adult entrees and 2 desserts for two adults and two kids. I think they would more likely order 2 adult entrees and 2 kid entrees. All would be full and all would have ordered.

Exactly. We are OOP folks. Our typical meal out for two adults and one child goes like this: We get one appetizer to split between us. We cannot eat more then that and we actually like to save room for the meal! We all get our own entree. More then likely DD and I will get dessert but my mom, who goes with us to WDW, skips dessert because she is too full from her entree and a bit if appetizer. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that everyone can each get their own appetizer, entree, and dessert and actually eat it all! There is either a huge amount of waste or gluttony going on. LOL!

WDW likes to keep visitors happy, but I think if they implement a non-sharing rule, a lot of people will be unhappy. I think it is crazy to not allow sharing, on the DDP or otherwise. I also think that making people use 2 TS credits for a shared meal is a bit much. I completely agree that child meals should not be used for adults meals, but the sharing thing seems a little strict to me.

akalittleeva said:
WDW likes to keep visitors happy, but I think if they implement a non-sharing rule, a lot of people will be unhappy. I think it is crazy to not allow sharing, on the DDP or otherwise. I also think that making people use 2 TS credits for a shared meal is a bit much. I completely agree that child meals should not be used for adults meals, but the sharing thing seems a little strict to me.

Disney is a business. To keep people happy Disney has given you two choices. Get on the DDP or not. Everyone gets a choice and everyone is happy.

I completely agree that child meals should not be used for adults meals, but the sharing thing seems a little strict to me.
I agree, but until they can fund and implement a project to change the information systems, I don't see how else they can effectively accomplish the objective of restricting folks to what they actually paid for.

I can't see a "no-sharing" rule, but I can see a "plate sharing" charge. The plate sharing is usually only applied to an "entree" that is shared, not to appetizers and desserts. Not sure how it would work if you only ordered appetizers or desserts? I've seen plate sharing charges ranging from $5-$10, and usually only in more expensive/exclusive restaurants.

I hope that Disney doesn't implement this, but it's a more realistic possibility than having dining establishments mandating that people can't share food in their restaurant!

bicker said:
I agree, but until they can fund and implement a project to change the information systems, I don't see how else they can effectively accomplish the objective of restricting folks to what they actually paid for.

Unfortunate, but true - and I don't think they will have that done by November. :sad2:

It isn't clear to me that they've even made a business case for the changes yet. They may have determined that they can more profitably deal with this situation by restricting sharing, with no actual capital outlay.

I can see a plate sharing charge if you are asking them to divide everything up. If you are having one person eat the appet and dessert and the other have the entree and soda, I don't see the need for a charge. The bill rings up for the waiter as it did OOP when we just ate that way out of preference. When I order and entree, usually that's it. But sometimes I have a more indugent dinner with appet, dessert and wine that IS my meal. It always totals more than DH simple entree and water (he usually likes plain chicken dishes or pasta). In the OOP world I never thought of it as sharing.

If the programmers working out the child credit thing will solve this, I hope they are working on it now. I still think there is nothing wrong with the adults splitting a TS credit, the kids each using their TS credit, for 3TS used for a family of 4 and some OOP charges for drinks. Then, heading to ESPN to use 1 TS adult credit for appet, entree and dessert for adults to share as they please, and OOP for kids meals and drinks. Using kids credits for adults was gaining through a loophole, Disney taking away sharing is unduly restrictive IMHO. Rules can change but it should be in the brochure so that it affects both the users and the future sales of DDP.

barrett7890 said:

cami
x

But then why don't the rules state that every person on the plan has to eat a TS meal every single day. It doesn't. It says the credits are activated as soon as I check into my resort and can be used at any time, in any combination, during my stay.

I can't imagine my family of 5 (with one child) going into an EPCOT restaurant, ordering 3 adult meals (one I will share with my DD10) and a childs meal for my DS6, and being told by the server, "I don't care if you're not hungry, ma'm. You have to order an appt., main course and dessert!" I just don't see it happening.

We plan on doing this a few times so that we can use 10 TS's to do HHDR. We're not cheating anyone. I'm not getting more food. I'm using a childs credit everytime we eat so that it is the ADULT'S meal that we are splitting. Why would they care if I use 7 TS's one day, and none the next, or however? The rules even state that they don't care.

Does someone really think I am cheating Disney doing this? :confused3

Sorry, but I am not understanding. Have they already come out wit a no sharing policy or not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter