If we can no longer share on DDP then...

grgich said:
I can't see a "no-sharing" rule, but I can see a "plate sharing" charge. The plate sharing is usually only applied to an "entree" that is shared, not to appetizers and desserts. Not sure how it would work if you only ordered appetizers or desserts? I've seen plate sharing charges ranging from $5-$10, and usually only in more expensive/exclusive restaurants.

Exactly, it's usually only in exlusive restaurants. Mama Melrose's is about the same price as an Olive Garden (at least up here). I can't tell you how many times I have shared with my DD13 or my DD10. They even plate it in the kitchen on seperate plates without me asking. They don't even charge us extra for the salad that they know both of us are going to eat, although, given, my DD's don't eat a lot. If I told them that I didn't think we were allowed to share a dinner, they would laugh me out of the building!

Now, at Citricos, that's a different story. It's an "exclusive" restaurant. It's kind of fancy and more expensive. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did(edited, I had put didn't) charge a plate sharing fee. In fact, I would be shocked if they didn't. It's not your typical family restaurant with a $14 plate of spag. on the menu.

cgbsilver@hotmail.co said:
Sorry, but I am not understanding. Have they already come out wit a no sharing policy or not?
I was wondering the same thing. I see a lot of ?'s about this but it usually ends up with everybody saying that they HAVE been allowed to share. Has something changed recently?

I agree. A plate charge is usually only in very fancy restaurants. I don't think Disney is saying that you can't share. They are saying to use a child credit on a child's meal and that you can't transfer the credits to a non-ddp person. However, they do not mention sharing. I think people are saying things without actually having that info..If Disney started to do that, you would create more lying. People could say, that child is not my child, they are a niece and they are not on the ddp so I can pay oop. This is not my DH, it is a friend and so on. I am going w/ free dining. I will use my Adult credits for the "adults" and my child credits on my "child", however, if I choose to, I will share when it is necessary.

The DDP will lose its appeal if diners are not allowed to share. Disney knows that it is too much food and people, whether they pay or receive the DDP as a free promotion, everyone is looking at the $38 bottom line. To force people to order or be charged a TS credit would be IMHO a PR nightmare for the folks at Disney.

mytwotinks said:
I was wondering the same thing. I see a lot of ?'s about this but it usually ends up with everybody saying that they HAVE been allowed to share. Has something changed recently?

Recent phone and email inquires seem to vary. Why don't you try emailing thru the the "contact us" part of the website asking very specifically, including the restaurant where you want to share, about what you want to do and why it seems reasonable. See what response you get. If they say sharing is allowed, I would print that out and take it with you. They may say things have changed and it doesn't work for you but if the brochure hasn't changed by the time you go and you have the email, you may get lucky. I'm actually thinking they will just tell you no sharing, everyone uses a TS credit.

I am tired of this really. So I am writting and asking directly. I really do not use the kids meal for adults but what we do is since dd7 and dd3 are not big eaters we order a meal to share between them and use the extra credits for maybe an additional character meal. I see nothing wrong with this, but I will ask Disney just to be sure, however I know that the moral police which is always lurking will judge no matter what they tell me.

I am tired of this really. So I am writting and asking directly.
A very good idea. I spoke with a CM myself regarding this last Friday evening.

I really do not use the kids meal for adults but what we do is since dd7 and dd3 are not big eaters we order a meal to share between them and use the extra credits for maybe an additional character meal. I see nothing wrong with this,
Neither do I, but from what I have been reading and what I was told by a CM Disney doesn't want to allow this to happen. :confused3

I will ask Disney just to be sure, however I know that the moral police which is always lurking will judge no matter what they tell me.
I am anxious to read the response that you get from them.
Believe me, I am FAR from the morality police on the DIS ::yes::. I can only share with you what I have been told by a Disney CM doing dining reservations. As we all know, you can hear 10 different things from 10 different CMs. I am only tell you what *I* was told...

I'm hoping to get some facts from people on the ground on whether sharing is being allowed instead of "He said...She said...". From what I have read on this board, you could speak to 10 different CMs and get 10 different interpretations.

Sorry about copying from the last post. i honestly hadn't read it before writing mine. :blush:

pperfectmom said:
Sorry about copying from the last post. i honestly hadn't read it before writing mine. :blush:

Plagery! Plagery!!! :p ;)

pperfectmom said:
I'm hoping to get some facts from people on the ground on whether sharing is being allowed instead of "He said...She said...". From what I have read on this board, you could speak to 10 different CMs and get 10 different interpretations.

Sorry about copying from the last post. I honestly hadn't read it before writing mine. :blush:

It seems that CMs on the ground can have different interpretations, too. And the DDP is subject to change without notice, so I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer, things could change at any time. Look at what happened with the snack credits - one day you are very limited in your choices, the next day you can get practically anything under $4 - no advance warning was given for that. Although, that was definitely a change for the better. You could be in the middle of your visit and be allowed to share one day and the next day no sharing could be implemented across the board. Not saying that it will happen, but it could.

Mom of Sleepy said:
But then why don't the rules state that every person on the plan has to eat a TS meal every single day.
Because that would preclude the ability to ever patronize Signature restaurants.

Does someone really think I am cheating Disney doing this? :confused3
Sometimes that doesn't matter. Sometimes they have to enforce certain things because that helps prevent other people from doing other things.

I wrote in another thread:

There are a couple of simple implementations I wouldn't be surprised to see that would help curb some of the more extreme uses of the plan, but can still accomodate most guests appropriately.

1: If the party size is the same as or less than the number of guests on the card, everyone in the party pays with the plan, or everyone in the party pays OOP, charging a number of credits equal to the # of meals ordered.

2: A modest, but non-trivial plate splitting charge. This is not that unusual---many quality restaurants do this, and Blue Bayou at Disneyland does, now too. Something on the order of $5. The reasoning behind this is: it takes additional effort to plate one entree twice, and most of these places (including, I believe, Blue Bayou) will plate each of the 1/2 entrees with its own set of side items. This would always be charged as a cash cost (like an alcoholic drink), unless the guest specifically asks to have a credit deducted for it.

3: Everyone at the table is either ordering a meal, or paying a split plate charge.

This wouldn't be *that* much of a hardship for people using the plan in the way that Disney most likely expected---if they want an extra TS meal (or, say, a signature meal) they can choose to pay for their least expensive meal out of pocket, for not much more money than just banking enough kids meals to cover it. People on the plan could still treat their guests who join them for a meal. People who are very light eaters would pay only slightly more than they do now, but it would reflect the additional service load. And, the plan can still be used almost as flexibly as it is now.

No matter what happens, it seems that *someone* at WDW has decided that the plan's currently flexibility is being used to its fullest extent by enough people that they want to put a stop to it somehow. The alternative to reducing that flexibility will be to increase the price of the plan across the board. Based on all the heat coming from folks at CRO about no sharing, no splitting bills, etc., it sure looks to me as though one or the other is inevitable.

I suppose the dollar-credit idea (or something similar) might also come to pass, but as bicker and others have pointed out, it's harder to market that plan as a rip-roarin' deal, and it's harder to make sure that guests have unused credits at the end of the game, which is clearly Disney's intention.

mytwotinks said:
Yes. There have been several guests who have reported being unable to share their credits with (adult) guests (not on the plan) at their table, while paying OOP for their children (on the plan). What I haven't seen is any reports of guests being prevented from sharing food once ordered. That's not the issue, as far as I understand it.

akalittleeva said:
It seems that CMs on the ground can have different interpretations, too. And the DDP is subject to change without notice, so I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer, things could change at any time. Look at what happened with the snack credits - one day you are very limited in your choices, the next day you can get practically anything under $4 - no advance warning was given for that. Although, that was definitely a change for the better. You could be in the middle of your visit and be allowed to share one day and the next day no sharing could be implemented across the board. Not saying that it will happen, but it could.

You are right. But isn't that the overplanners worse nightmare :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

You are right. But isn't that the overplanners worse nightmare :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

::yes:: :laughing: That's why I'm working on plan B! :scratchin :surfweb: If nothing else, this whole issue has given me more to plan! :teeth: ;)

bicker said:
Yes. There have been several guests who have reported being unable to share their credits with (adult) guests (not on the plan) at their table, while paying OOP for their children (on the plan). What I haven't seen is any reports of guests being prevented from sharing food once ordered. That's not the issue, as far as I understand it.

This reply isn't directed specifically to you but we're all making this very complicated. If Disney wants to stop sharing all they have to do is increase the number of restaurants that serve all you care to eat. Serve salad family style. Serve a dessert sampler. Give free seconds. They really don't have to do much to make this whole discussion moot.

I'm surprised Disney doesn't go to a price fixed menu (with some upcharges) at CG to eliminate people who order "light" and make a reservation hour before Wishes.

Personally I think everyone is getting freaked out over nothing..I believe that in non buffet type places you will be able to share. The only way sharing would be wrong is if childs credits came into play to be used for an adult meal..

bicker said:

I think this is a totally different scenario than what most are concerned about which is the ability to share with others IN your party.

I can understand not being allowed to do what you have described above ... share your meals with those NOT on the DDP. This is an example of ordering meals for more Adults than are listed on your card. I remember a post of this nature within the last few days.

But ... If you have a table of 4A 1C and choose to order 3A meals to share ... I don't recall ANY posts saying this has not been allowed.

WDWO

wdwobsessed said:
I think this is a totally different scenario than what most are concerned about which is the ability to share with others IN your party.

I can understand not being allowed to do what you have described above ... share your meals with those NOT on the DDP. This is an example of ordering meals for more Adults than are listed on your card. I remember a post of this nature within the last few days.

But ... If you have a table of 4A 1C and choose to order 3A meals to share ... I don't recall ANY posts saying this has not been allowed.

WDWO

I think so too. I think you can go under your allowed entitlements, but you can not go over them. You would not be allowed to order 5 adult meals from the plan you mentioned. Which was happening especially at CS where the child was not available for the CM to see.

My DH just lost 30 lbs and is hoping to lose another 40. I have lost 10 and have another 20 to go. My DD13 is a culinary adventure every day. Yesterday, she ate nothing, and today she gorges. My DD7 is actually the only one who will eat her entire TS portion and then ask for some of mine (because children's portions are smaller).

So, for TS, I am planning on sharing the meals simply because there is too much food. I thought we could get 1 Adult and 1 child and order another entree OOP or order 2 Adults and all share. This is still my plan when we go in August and if it is a problem, I will never use DDP again.

CS is another story. My DD7 will not touch the childrens' meals and I plan to order 2 combo meals for the 4 of us. That should be more than enough. I can't see how anyone can monitor usage like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter