"If I Were Not Upon The Sea" is no more on Disney Ships

We caught it on the Dream in 2012 when DW and I finally ventured to the adult area on the last night of a 5n cruise (I know I know...)

But we missed it on the Wonder this past Feb. I thought it was a Dream only thing at the time. We did had a great time at the Wonder and ventured to the adult areas every night.

The skit is incredibly popular, despite how old it is. On the WBPC it was standing room only, packed in like sardines, with many, many people turned away for lack of space. Shows that bring in that kind of crowd despite their age are not removed simply because they are old. Humorless people (clearly in the minority based solely on attendance) ruined it for the rest of us. Sigh. Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Funny. Every time. I know exactly how it ends and I still giggled every time!

The skit is incredibly popular, despite how old it is. On the WBPC it was standing room only, packed in like sardines, with many, many people turned away for lack of space. Shows that bring in that kind of crowd despite their age are not removed simply because they are old. Humorless people (clearly in the minority based solely on attendance) ruined it for the rest of us. Sigh.

I have to agree with this. The skit was different every time you saw it because the cruise staff was different. We saw it with Rachel, Christiaan, and Clayton as the CDs. Each version had its own nuances that stood out. :rotfl:

Apologies for bumping this up again, but my wife and I are leaving this month on our second Disney cruise since they stopped performing this, and it still makes me sad that we won't be able to see it. It was always the highlight at the end of our cruise, a time that is otherwise very depressing.

I understand the comment from folks who didn't like it, but just like the other entertainment on board, nobody made you watch it. I know Disney feels compelled to protect their wholesome image, and I respect that greatly. But it was fun and so personal to experience these last moments with our cruise staff in this way.

It just makes me sad and nostalgic, so I wanted to post. For now, time to watch all the YouTube videos!

We were also sad to see this show end. Here are a couple pictures from the Magic June 2012.

We have seen it since it started on the Magic years and years ago. Always a good show and in the beginning it was not even listed in the Navigator. The Cruise Staff would just perform it very late the last night in the club. It developed quite a following along the way.

MJ

I understand the comment from folks who didn't like it, but just like the other entertainment on board, nobody made you watch it. I know Disney feels compelled to protect their wholesome image, and I respect that greatly. But it was fun and so personal to experience these last moments with our cruise staff in this way.
Last year on our April Cruise this was NOT done ... they had a "Last Night Game Show" ... well if Disney wanted to protect their image, they didn't really want this replacement --- we actually had female guests take off their tops to "win a point" for their "team" ... yea that "game" got way out of hand ....

They really should bring back "If I Were Not Upon The Sea" .... it was "clean" "Disney Dirty" fun. And since you got to know you cruise staff over the course of your cruise ... and you saw them through the Disney CM lens ... and then to see them like THIS ... well it was a lot of fun.

"Crew Cut" David (not Dave from NY), Clayton and Christian stand out as awesome "Ballerinas" - but every crew member that participated added to the "side splitting" enjoyment of the skit.

Fear not...the show does continue on! Sadly, however, it's only offered on cruises longer than 7 nights (according to Disney Cruise staff). We last saw the show on the 14-night Transatlantic in September, 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter