"If I Were Not Upon The Sea" is no more on Disney Ships

I think mermaid has a religious issue with it. Walked out of Princess and the Frog because of the devil stuff

Yes, its strictly a personal choice thing. My older parents walked right out of the show. We almost did and then it changed tones. But we obviously aren't the only ones to complain about it, as the Entertainment CMs mentioned.

FYI: Match Your Mate was only done on the first night of this last cruise.

Last night was something called Battle of the Sexes instead.

:( They didn't have this on either of our last two cruises and I was looking forward to it in January! So disappointed it's gone.

We will miss it! We enjoyed it. Saw it on several Disney cruises and we were looking forward to seeing it again. Sad, if people are offended could they not just leave? Were they being held hostage? Was the door locked?

We will miss it! We enjoyed it. Saw it on several Disney cruises and we were looking forward to seeing it again. Sad, if people are offended could they not just leave? Were they being held hostage? Was the door locked?

That's why I think it was just an 'out with the old'. Clearly, this has been making the rounds for a VERY long time...

Ghostly dancers are offensive? We like this show a lot. I've missed anything offensive, I'd agree there's definite cheekiness. I'm trying to recall the ghostly dancers tweaking or something?!:scratchin

I didn't like the underworld thing either. I just don't like evil and hell being glorified. It has nothing to do with the dancing. I won't take my kids to see it again, but I don't think they should stop doing the show. It's just not for us.

It's a shame that some people have no sense of humor.

Disney should do away with advertising anything that is directed toward appealing to adults.

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

It's a shame that some people have no sense of humor.

Disney should do away with advertising anything that is directed toward appealing to adults.

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

Oh, but don't forget all those people with "mature" 16 and 17 year olds who insist that they should be able to go to adult areas...

What's next? Guess DCL will have to stop those souvenir commercials because of what it implies. :rolleyes1

It may be old, but I've laughed every time I've seen it. Same sit, but different performers. It was not shown for a while (it wasn't on our Fantasy cruise in September 2012, but they brought it back and we saw it this past September on the Fantasy. And as has already been mentioned, Match Your Mate and the scavenger hunt are equally risqué.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

The skit is incredibly popular, despite how old it is. On the WBPC it was standing room only, packed in like sardines, with many, many people turned away for lack of space. Shows that bring in that kind of crowd despite their age are not removed simply because they are old. Humorless people (clearly in the minority based solely on attendance) ruined it for the rest of us. Sigh.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Love this skit. On our WBTA in 2010 they performed it the last night in the Walt theater so we didn't have to worry about seating! Many of the late adult shows were done there since there were so many adults on the cruise.

Seriously, I don't see why "adult" shows should be family shows. Not saying they need to be raunchy but a little risque is okay with me. One of the reasons I love the quest show and the match your mate show. It's adult entertainment.

FYI: Match Your Mate was only done on the first night of this last cruise.

Last night was something called Battle of the Sexes instead.

Match Your Mate is only done once per cruise...always has been.

I personally think if they were going to stop doing a show based on it's "sensitive" nature, Match Your Mate should have gone long before "If I Were Not Upon the Sea".

We just got off the Disney Fantasy and the Cruise Entertainment Staff "Pub Night" Sketch (aka "If I Were Not Upon The Sea") was on the mobile app schedule and then disappeared from it on the last day of our cruise. It was also not on our Navigator for the final night.

We asked a few of the Entertainment staff that we ran into on the final night and they all confirmed that it wasn't happening (but that they had done it just the week before). We were also told that it's no longer being performed on *any* Disney Cruise Line ship (effective this week).

We were told that it had been dropped for a few reasons. If you've ever seen the sketch, you know that the humor is from a different era, not politically correct, and fairly adult. It also didn't originate on DCL and it is done on other cruise lines.

We were also told that something original and DCL-specific will hopefully be created in the near future.

We're going to miss this though--we loved it when we saw it on the Disney Wonder earlier this year.

Here's a version of the sketch for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z7obqq_iF4

Thanks for the video - most (maybe all) of the cruise staff in this skit were on the WBPC cruise this past May. Thanks for the Memories!!

Just watched it on youtube. Loved it. So sad we will miss in when we leave on the Fantasy next week.

Match Your Mate is only done once per cruise...always has been.

I personally think if they were going to stop doing a show based on it's "sensitive" nature, Match Your Mate should have gone long before "If I Were Not Upon the Sea".

Match Your Mate was done on both the first and last night of our Alaska Cruise on the Wonder this past May. It was also listed as happening twice on Navigators I saw from over the summer.

Match Your Mate is only done once per cruise...always has been. I personally think if they were going to stop doing a show based on it's "sensitive" nature, Match Your Mate should have gone long before "If I Were Not Upon the Sea".
when I did a back-2-back on Fantasy both weeks match your mate was two nights, and no if I were upon the seas.

Can't believe they did this! The show is performed in the ADULT AREAS, of course the content will be slightly more mature. Honestly the show would receive a PG rating. It's not that "trashy".
And yet Disney still wonders why they can't get more adult only couples onboard....

Yeah, I'm actually contemplating our future with DCL as an adult, childless couple.

We love Bingo, the alcohol tastings, various trivia, Name That Tune, live music on the piano, and games like Match Your Mate and Pop! And of course, things like "If I Were Not Upon the Sea."

This past cruise, it seemed like very little was happening after 11pm and there wasn't as much going on for adults on the Fantasy as there was on our Alaska cruise on the Wonder earlier this year.

For all the emphasis they put on dancing each night, The Tube looked shockingly empty whenever the DJ was spinning. The movie theater is awesome, but if you go to the movies regularly, chances are you've already seen most of the Disney films being shown.

Meanwhile, I see all the teen and child activities on the Navigators and wish I could participate in some of that stuff (like "Rock Band" playtime, learning Magic tricks, etc).

Did there used to be more adult activities? I think some of it would be easy if they really wanted to add them.

Saw a version of that skit on NCL cruise 25 years ago...it's an oldie but a goodie! We really enjoyed on DCL too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter