• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I wish WWOHP was in WDW

It's so funny you should mention this....

I am not a super nit-picky person, and really, I don't even normally notice such things! A lot of detail I'm supposed to notice often has to be pointed out to me for me even to see it. But for some reason the pathetic plants in the FJ queue really bothered me! I kept thinking, they spent all this money on this amazing "world" and couldn't spend a little extra on some nicer plants?? They really were pathetic.

Anyway, I agree it would be nicer if the WWOHP was at Disney just for convenience sake, but honestly, I must have said 10 times while there last week that the ticket price I paid was worth it for just that section of the park. :-) I enjoyed it SO much. We spent hours there and almost no time in the rest of the park. Can't wait to go back some day.

I'm trying to remember what plants you guys are talking about and drawing a blank. Do you mean the plants in the greenhouse section? If so, they are supposed to be brown and wilted looking such as the mandrakes and devil's snare. They had a similar looking set up at the greenhouse space at the Harry Potter Exhibition with brown dead looking plants. Unless there is other plants I am missing in the queue which is a big posssiblity as I'm not really into plant life.

That's strange because I have the oppostite of what you have experienced. I have always found the staff to be very knowledgable about the books. They have to be. My friend just applied for a positition in the WWoHP and you have to go to "Hogwarts Classes" and pass your NEWTS to be hired. There are several tests to take on everything Potter related before you are even allowed to work in the area. I have had very indepth and fun conversations with many of the staff there, and even put through some very tough Potter trivia in line at Ollivanders by the girl working there. I've also never had a rude TM at FJ.

One of my favorite parts about going to the WWoHP is the staff. They have always made each trip more special and a truly magical time. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

We thought the TMs - from the resorts to the parks - were incredible!

I will add that I've had only positive encounters with CMs as well. :)

I'm trying to remember what plants you guys are talking about and drawing a blank. Do you mean the plants in the greenhouse section? If so, they are supposed to be brown and wilted looking such as the mandrakes and devil's snare. They had a similar looking set up at the greenhouse space at the Harry Potter Exhibition with brown dead looking plants. Unless there is other plants I am missing in the queue which is a big posssiblity as I'm not really into plant life.

This is my thought as well. I was there less than 2 months after opening and this is how they looked. So, they were still very new, then. I assumed it was like a lot of things in Disney - made to look old on purpose. :confused3

We also have APs for both WDW and US/IOA and agree with Feralpeg that they are both great in their own respects. Bottom line is WDW and US/IOA cater to different demographics.

Just a comment for those who said US/IOA tickets cost more than WDW, I give you this:

1 day ticket for Disney - $90.53 (non park hopper)
1 day ticket for US or IOA - $92.68

2 day ticket for Disney - $178.92 (non park hopper)
2 day ticket for Disney - $237.50 (with park hopping)

2 day ticket for US/IOA - $146.98 (includes park hopping)

:confused3

I don't think anyone has said that Universal tickets are more expensive than Disney tickets. I think you are misunderstand the complaint here. What we are saying is that to add in a day or 2 to a Disney trip is very expensive compared to just going to Disney for an extra day or 2. The reason is "the more you stay the less you pay." So instead of paying for an extra day or 2 in Disney (which would cost maybe 10-20 dollars) you'll have to pay 100-200 dollars just to go to USO. This would be assuming you're just one person (imagine a family of 6 like I have to pay for.)

So yea, nobody is arguing that it is more money to just go to Universal for 2 days compared to going to Disney for 2 days... it's only being compared when you're there on an extended vacation for a week or more. (Maybe someone can explain this better than I have :rotfl2: )

It's so funny you should mention this....

I am not a super nit-picky person, and really, I don't even normally notice such things! A lot of detail I'm supposed to notice often has to be pointed out to me for me even to see it. But for some reason the pathetic plants in the FJ queue really bothered me! I kept thinking, they spent all this money on this amazing "world" and couldn't spend a little extra on some nicer plants?? They really were pathetic.

Anyway, I agree it would be nicer if the WWOHP was at Disney just for convenience sake, but honestly, I must have said 10 times while there last week that the ticket price I paid was worth it for just that section of the park. :-) I enjoyed it SO much. We spent hours there and almost no time in the rest of the park. Can't wait to go back some day.

I went there when it first opened and I don't remember dead plants....

Are you talking about the pitcher plants that are hanging above? That would be a shame if they died :sad2:

I'm sure they will change up the senario if they can't keep the plants alive.

The ones I noticed were all the ones hanging from the ceiling in the greenhouse. I don't think they were supposed to be mandrakes. They were round pots with long vine-y plants hanging out. They were real plants (as far as I could tell), and the pots weren't full - just one little tuft on one side of the pot maybe with some vines hanging down - they all looked so pathetic. They looked untended and like they'd been there for years with no one taking care of them.

I don't know. If it's supposed to look like that, then I don't get it? I don't remember anything in Harry Potter where the plants looked like that (but don't forget, I don't normally notice those kinds of details!) I'll have to look more closely when I watch the movies again.....

Oh, there was one detail I did notice all on my own :) While standing line for Ollivander's, we were by the Quidditch shop where they had the box with the Beaters and Quaffle that jumped around like they wanted to get out. But I did notice there was no snitch? Why not do you suppose?

The ones I noticed were all the ones hanging from the ceiling in the greenhouse. I don't think they were supposed to be mandrakes. They were round pots with long vine-y plants hanging out. They were real plants (as far as I could tell), and the pots weren't full - just one little tuft on one side of the pot maybe with some vines hanging down - they all looked so pathetic. They looked untended and like they'd been there for years with no one taking care of them.

I don't know. If it's supposed to look like that, then I don't get it? I don't remember anything in Harry Potter where the plants looked like that (but don't forget, I don't normally notice those kinds of details!) I'll have to look more closely when I watch the movies again.....

Those plants looked exactly like that right after opening so I'm thinking they were made that way. I have also seen the same dead vines at the exhibition. I figure they are just meant to give it an old "castle" look or something, not sure.:confused3

I do know some of the dead vines are meant to represent Devil's Snare(which dies in sunlight) as it was described in the VIP tour thing we took of the WWoHP back in July and some of the brown plants are meant to represent root plants used for potions. I never really gave much thought to the plants though.

ETA-just saw your question on the snitch. It's there, if you look in the center of the box under the bludger there is a small compartment with a metal cover. The snitch is under there(you can see the gold under the metal). This is where the snitch is kept in the quidditch kit used in the first flim. In that film, Oliver Wood opens the metal cover and removes the snitch.

Same experience.

As for TMs not understanding a four year old....yes, well, I've found that many people don't understand any given four year old.

yes I stated that they still didn't know after I clarified for her....

I wish i had a good experience with TMs but I didn't and they were just so out of it to me I hope they had to take a class but it sure didn't seem like it, the only person seemingly knowledgeable was the guy at Ollivanders.

and as for the plants if they wanted them to look purposefully dead then they should've made them bigger or something they just looked like universal dropped the ball and didn't hire anyone to tend to them ... honestly that was my only decor complaint.

My wife is a big HP fan, I'm a big Marvel fan from the sixties. So you'd think that we'd love Univeral. Not the case.... Yeah, my wife loves the Potter park, not the ride, (she doesn't do many rides), but the presentation. The Marvel area is OK, but just too noisy! But the rest of the park? Nah, nothing to get excited about. The overall presentation just isn't to Disney standards. It's too loud, too hot (Disney does better with creating and maintaining shaded areas), too bright - much more in your face. That's OK if that's your style, but it's not ours.

I do love that US has to pay licensing to Disney. How long that will last, I don't know, but I would expect that once the contract expires, Marvel will move over to DW.

I do love that US has to pay licensing to Disney. How long that will last, I don't know, but I would expect that once the contract expires, Marvel will move over to DW.

No set date. US gets to keep, and pay for, the rights to whatever characters they use now until they want to give them up or forever, which ever comes first. :goodvibes

ETA: .... or until Disney makes them an offer they can't refuse.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot

The original plans for the park showed indecision over what the park's purpose was to be: some Imagineers wanted it to represent the cutting edge of technology, while others wanted it to showcase international cultures and customs. At one point a model of the futuristic park was pushed together against a model of the international park, and EPCOT Center was born—a theme park with the flavor of a World's Fair.

I had also read that they could have made it two parks with two gates.

Same experience.

The one thing I wish they hadn't listened to JK about is the physical space in the shops.

I totally agree with this, it's just really hard to get around when the park is crowded.

Overall though, the WWOHP is totally awesome and well done. And FJ is IMHO the best ride, period.

Speaking of kid stuff, has anyone else made it back to the Ball Factory? Gotta either dodge the water or follow the footprints for the dry path, but it's lots of fun once you're back there!

Our family has been to this several times, and absolutely love it! :worship: we probably spent 2 hours there the first time we were there.

I'd rather see WWOHP over Avatar.
I hate paying to go to US just to see HP. It's such a waste.

I agree!!! I am glad to see i am not the only one that thinks the avatar thing is STUPID! Blah! But HP...i would LOVE to go...but i would rather be at disney :) I have been to USIOA the year it opened and it was nice...but like i said rather be at disney :)

I have yet to see wwohp and I would love to, but I just can't bring myself to pay the money just to see it, I don't want to see any other part of Universal but wwohp, and to me that isn't worth the money.

I'm OK with WWOHP being at US and having a contrast to WDW but it does cause added expense.

Forbidden Journey just plain rocks my socks! Maybe the Fantasyland update will bring something that will contend? The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train?

I don't want to see any other part of Universal but wwohp, and to me that isn't worth the money.

As someone who was just there, and pretty much spent all my time in the HP section, I can say it was TOTALLY worth the money, just for that part of the park! I said while we were there I would gladly pay full park price just for the HP part. :-) I meant it more as a wish for them to build an entire HP park, but if we ever go again, I would go back to Universal again just for the WWOHP. :-)

As someone who was just there, and pretty much spent all my time in the HP section, I can say it was TOTALLY worth the money, just for that part of the park! I said while we were there I would gladly pay full park price just for the HP part. :-) I meant it more as a wish for them to build an entire HP park, but if we ever go again, I would go back to Universal again just for the WWOHP. :-)

Have to agree with you.. WWOHP was the highlight of our last trip.
In fact, we really like Universal overall. It's not Disney, but it's fun and had something for all of us. It was a nice change and we'll be heading back for a few days on our next trip as well.

WWOHP blew my mind. The atmosphere of the books is wonderfully realized in the shops, rides, and the whole area in general... Florida heat aside. ;)

I haven't been paying attention to WDW news the last couple of months, so this is the first I've heard of Avatar Land. I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea. I wish they had gone with a Star Wars land instead-- Cantina Character Dining, no blasters, NO BLASTERS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter