I"ve never seen so many threads on sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frantasmic said:
What's amazing is that
some of you apparently think that Disney and its Imagineers can make an incredibly
lifelike Cpt. Jack Sparrow and other amazing attractions but not come up with a system
to separate C/A credits.

So, the logic here is that Disney could have separated Adult and Child credits, but they didn't, so we, the Dining Public, MUST assume that they want Adults to use child credits despite the fact that they added the provision specifically in the new Dining Plan brochure AND they charge less for Child credits AND they state that children must eat from the children's menu, if provided?

No, no and no. That's not the logic. I could care less if Disney wants or doesn't want this to happen. If they want it to stop then they must separate the credits. Again, it maybe a technicality but you can't have a rule stating one thing about credits, and then provide people who purchase DDP something different. What if you purchased a refillable mug knowing the rule that it must be used at your resort and just for that stay. Then when you get your mug it has bold printing on it saying you may use this mug at any resort now or in the future. Well you know what, that mug rule just went out the window because you were provided by Disney a mug stating the something very different. Same thing with DDP until they separate the credits.

minnie61650 said:
It happened to us last year when we checked in at the end of the free dining plan. DH and I were checking in .The CM asked us to bring all the members of our party to the front desk for check in. DD,DSIL and our granson age 3 at the time were in the gift shop so we went and got them.

Funny you should bring this up now and not as your original example. I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone saying this was an issue last year. Seem like this would have made a hot thread if it was happening last year.

bstnsprts said:
Again, it maybe a technicality but you can't have a rule stating one thing about credits, and then provide people who purchase DDP something different.
Sorry, that is simply not accurate. The DDP literature has ALWAYS said they could change the plan at any time. Here's the exact language from the brochure: "Operating hours, menus, entertainment, characters, Disney Dining Plan locations, components and terms are subject to change without notice."

Also, they have made the intent more clear and put us all on notice with the new language saying:
"Q. Can adults use child meal entitlements?
A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9."

It's very difficult for me to misunderstand either one of those statements.

You can't use child credits for adult meals, period. Go ahead and try if you like, but I think you're going to be embarrassed.

bstnsprts said:
Funny you should bring this up now and not as your original example. I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone saying this was an issue last year. Seem like this would have made a hot thread if it was happening last year.

I was thinking along the same lines. It seems to me that during Free Dining last year threads about the evils of sharing were non-existent. In fact, if I remember correctly there were plenty of threads from people returning from Free Dining stating that CM's were encouraging Free Diners to pay OOP for their children's meals and save the credits. :confused3

JimMIA said:
You can't use child credits for adult meals, period. Go ahead and try if you like, but I think you're going to be embarrassed.

My problem with this statement is that the CM's don't have any way of knowing which TS credits are already used on your account since they are all pooled together. If, for example, I took 2 children to CRT without DH I would use up 2 Adult TS and 4 Child TS (since it's a 2 credit meal). If DH only had CS that day then eventually we would run out of Child TS before we would run out of Adult TS. By your theory, even though we have 2 Adult TS credits left, we would be refused (embarassed no less!) service because CM's would see 2 credits left and would assume us to be "cheating the system". I think there are too many different dining scenarios and not enough measures in place to keep track of Adult vs. Child credits for anyone to be making definitive statements like that.

zookeeper said:
I was thinking along the same lines. It seems to me that during Free Dining last year threads about the evils of sharing were non-existent. In fact, if I remember correctly there were plenty of threads from people returning from Free Dining stating that CM's were encouraging Free Diners to pay OOP for their children's meals and save the credits. :confused3
You may be right about last year, but the landscape has obviously changed...as you can see from the language in the brochure.

For our May '06 trip, we were told by Disney dining that all members of our party, including our 4 year old, would have to be physically present on checkin. They told me the same thing when I added DDP to our upcoming Nov trip.

Sure enough, when we arrived in May, the CM told me we'd need everybody there when we got to the DDP part and I had to go round them up. Both the DDP rep and the OKW CM said, without me asking, that the procedure was a new one "designed to cut down on the cheating"...their words, not mine.

It all boils down to whether you're an honorable person or not. If you are, then you won't seek to exploit situations where rules aren't being vigorously enforced. If you're not, then you will seek to work the system to your advantage, ignoring any rule you feel you can get away with.

bstnsprts said:

I posted that in a reply a few weeks ago.

[DSIL and Alex were away (to be honest they were in the rest room) but I do not care to announce that on a public forum because I consider saying that someone was using the rest room is TMI on a public forum so if you want to you can say I lied because in post I said watching cartons and in the other I said gift shop].

And I am not really why the CM wanted all to see all of us but he did.

Here is thread see post#15

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=13135512#post13135512

minnie61650 said:
Last October 3rd, at the tail end of free dining we were checking in--DH and I for our room and DD for her connecting room. DSIL and our grandson were watching the cartoons in the Lobby at All Star Music.
The CM asked my DD to have them come to the front desk so he could also check DSIL's ID and see Alex (our grandson) before he would issue their keys.

zookeeper said:
My problem with this statement is that the CM's don't have any way of knowing which TS credits are already used on your account since they are all pooled together. If, for example, I took 2 children to CRT without DH I would use up 2 Adult TS and 4 Child TS (since it's a 2 credit meal). If DH only had CS that day then eventually we would run out of Child TS before we would run out of Adult TS. By your theory, even though we have 2 Adult TS credits left, we would be refused (embarassed no less!) service because CM's would see 2 credits left and would assume us to be "cheating the system". I think there are too many different dining scenarios and not enough measures in place to keep track of Adult vs. Child credits for anyone to be making definitive statements like that.
I agree 100% with your example. You could very well run into that, even though you would be using the plan exactly as it should be used, with clearly no intent to take advantage of anything. In fact, I think there might have already been a report of something similar coming up and causing a big controversy in one of the restaurants.

It's silly, it's a classic screw-up by WDW, and they'll have that fixed soon. I'm sure it's an academic discussion for our family because I expect them to have the A/C segregation in place before we go in Nov.

bicker said:
It all boils down to whether you're an honorable person or not. If you are, then you won't seek to exploit situations where rules aren't being vigorously enforced. If you're not, then you will seek to work the system to your advantage, ignoring any rule you feel you can get away with.

If I only had a dime for every time this is posted. You don't share my point of view, your dishonorable. You don't agree with me, your dishonorable. You see things a different way, your dishonorable. I don't have a counter point, your dishonorable. We look at things differently, your dishonorable. I say white, you say black, your dishonorable. I say tomato, you say tamoto, your dishonorable.

bstnsprts said:
If I only had a dime for every time this is posted. You don't share my point of view, your dishonorable. You don't agree with me, your dishonorable. You see things a different way, your dishonorable. I don't have a counter point, your dishonorable. We look at things differently, your dishonorable. I say white, you say black, your dishonorable. I say tomato, you say tamoto, your dishonorable.

Is this kinda like?
Some choose to litter, some dont. Some ride solo in the Carpool lane, some dont. Some lie about kids ages at the theater, some dont. Some park in handicapped stalls, some dont. Some sit in their assinged seats at the ball game, some sit where ever they choose. Some take 20 items into the 10 items or less express line, some dont.

Some dont look at any of the above as being dishonorable, some do.

Anewman said:
Is this kinda like?
Some choose to litter, some dont. Some ride solo in the Carpool lane, some dont. Some lie about kids ages at the theater, some dont. Some park in handicapped stalls, some dont. Some sit in their assinged seats at the ball game, some sit where ever they choose. Some take 20 items into the 10 items or less express line, some dont.

Some dont look at any of the above as being dishonorable, some do.

Good thing it's a slow work day. We've hit new heights of morality. It is now dishonorable to seat in another seat at a baseball game. And that nun that was in line ahead of me with a few extra items, what a dishonorable you know what. I guess I need help. Could someone start a thread, like the snack thread, that list everything that is dishonorable.

This discussion isn't about morality, it's about people making a choice to use or not to use what Disney has given them. Nobody is stealing the pooled credits, Disney provides them this way. This is what allot of people are missing. I wonder how many of the people who think that this is so wrong, were trying to take advantage of Disney's glitch in it's hotel reservation systems last year. I believe the talk then was is Disney going to honor my rate, not am I dishonorable for taking it. Most of the time big business has the upper hand, when they make a mistake in favor of the consumer, the consumer should take advantage.

JimMIA said:
You may be right about last year, but the landscape has obviously changed...as you can see from the language in the brochure.

For our May '06 trip, we were told by Disney dining that all members of our party, including our 4 year old, would have to be physically present on checkin. They told me the same thing when I added DDP to our upcoming Nov trip.

Sure enough, when we arrived in May, the CM told me we'd need everybody there when we got to the DDP part and I had to go round them up. Both the DDP rep and the OKW CM said, without me asking, that the procedure was a new one "designed to cut down on the cheating"...their words, not mine.

I'm sure they will be making changes and I won't at all be surprised when they ask to see everyone in our party at check-in.I have no intention of going outside the rules in the brochure, but I think part of the blame for the whole DDP conspiracy/fiasco must be put on Disney's shoulders. They didn't create a system that distinguishes between Adult/Child credits and they didn't (and still don't) seem to have a consistent set of rules that CM's are following which increases guest frustration especially when they get different rules within a single trip.

bstnsprts said:
Could someone start a thread, like the snack thread, that list everything that is dishonorable.

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Now that would be SOME thread! I bet it would reach multiple pages in record time! Oh wait, is it moral to bet on thread lengths??? :rolleyes:

It would seem that if Disney wanted to really control the use of the meals. They would attach to each room key the number of credits assigned to that person. Everyone would need to be present to get their room/dining plan key. If someone is checking in later, they would receive their key and credits at that time.

When you go to the restaurant you would have to turn in all of the keys. Example there are 4 of us going, if we go to a restaurant, each person is treated separately, even at the same table. So we order 4 meals, we have to turn in 4 cards and each one has a credit deducted.

If they really want to make sure we aren't sharing credits with those not on the dining plan, they can always set up the finger scans at hotel check-in and at all the restaurants.

bstnsprts said:
This discussion isn't about morality, it's about people making a choice to use or not to use what Disney has given them. Nobody is stealing the pooled credits, Disney provides them this way. This is what allot of people are missing. I wonder how many of the people who think that this is so wrong, were trying to take advantage of Disney's glitch in it's hotel reservation systems last year. I believe the talk then was is Disney going to honor my rate, not am I dishonorable for taking it. Most of the time big business has the upper hand, when they make a mistake in favor of the consumer, the consumer should take advantage.

Don't even bother. I've stopped trying to convince the morality police around here. It's just amazing to me that IRL I'm considered to be an honest, giving, kind person while here I am "dishonorable." Go figure.

zookeeper said:

Just setting the record straight since it my quote that bstnsprts quoted and then you in return quoted in reply. There were a few posts posted earlier which will help explain what I was saying.

bstnsprts said:
Reality check time. Like it or not Disney still does not have child or adult credits on DDP. Spelling it out clearly would mean providing guests with separated credits. Yes the brochure says you can't buy adult meals with child meal credits, big problem with that is guests are not given child and adult credits, still only pooled credits. Disney needs to back up it's rule by providing and tracking both child and adult credits. Until then people will be free to use the credits anyway they choose.

To which I replied:
minnie61650 said:
Using your augment that Disney's rules need to be enforced by Disney I guess ...

A.) They should put cameras in every guest room to make sure people don't have more people sleeping in their room than is the legal limit.
B.) Disney should make every parent bring a birth certificate for children under 3.
C.) Disney should sell refillable mugs with LOS barcodes.
Etc., etc., etc.

Yep. According to you if Disney makes a rule. Then Disney should enforce that rule.

Not following rules can really inconvenience those that follow them.

Explain your Disney should be the enforcer to the mother of the 2 year old who is arriving in the morning for free dining but has to wait until grandma arrives at 10 PM to check into their room.

Yep. You got it! Disney now has to require everyone in the party to check into the room together. Disney has to count the people before the keys can be given out.
Why?
Because some people who wanted to "game the system" thought up this really cool way to get more dining credits during free dining last year.
They just made up some pretend children and added them to their room ressies.
Then they took those extra child's credits and used them for adult meals at signature restaurants. Wow they were the "smart ones !" It was Disney's fault! If Disney did not want that to happen then they would have thought a way to stop it!

Well, now they have a way to stop it and it will inconvenience many honest people whose groups will not be arriving at the same time during the free dining promotion. Now those people have to wait until all the members of their group are there. They all have to get in line and be counted. One parent can't take the little ones and watch them while the other one checks in.
Now Disney has to be the enforcer and that means all party members have to check in and be counted.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.
To which he replied:
bstnsprts said:
A. They could check if they wanted to.

B. They could check if they wanted to.

C. They could enforce if they wanted to.

DDP. Is not an enforcement issue because you can't enforce something that does not exist. Disney does not as of yet provide seperate adult and child credits.

See me on the last one when anyone is actually denied checking in without their whole party. I doubt it will happen.
To which I replied:
minnie61650 said:
It happened to us last year when we checked in at the end of the free dining plan. DH and I were checking in .The CM asked us to bring all the members of our party to the front desk for check in. DD,DSIL and our grandson age 3 at the time were in the gift shop so we went and got them.

I do care that others are being hurt because of some who are inconsiderate
and think that rules only count if there is a stiff enforcement of them.

To which he replied:
bstnsprts said:

To which you replied:
zookeeper said:

No wonder you are confused if you just came in the tail end of our conversation.

I was not talking about sharing meals. I was talking about some who made up pretend children.and added them to their room ressies so they could get more meal credits for the non existing children.

I have no problem with nor have I ever had a problem families who are on the dining sharing meals with other family members who are also on the dining plan.

But I do have a problem with others being inconvenienced because some decide to make up phantom children so they boost the number of meal credits for themselves. It is an example of how "gaming the system" has cost those whose parties are not arriving at Disney the same time during free dining. They will not be able to check into their rooms, get their park tickets or their free DDP until all of the members are there and ready to check in.

That is all I was trying to say.

zookeeper said:
I'm sure they will be making changes and I won't at all be surprised when they ask to see everyone in our party at check-in.I have no intention of going outside the rules in the brochure, but I think part of the blame for the whole DDP conspiracy/fiasco must be put on Disney's shoulders. They didn't create a system that distinguishes between Adult/Child credits and they didn't (and still don't) seem to have a consistent set of rules that CM's are following which increases guest frustration especially when they get different rules within a single trip.
I think you're right about much of it being Disney's bad, as I said earlier. I think it's really a little worse than the current confusion. I think this is actually Chapter 3 or 4 in a rolling fiasco that goes back to the old meal ticket system. They tried to fix that with room keys, and they've just hit one set of unanticipated problems after another...which so far, they've addressed slowly and clumsily. About the time they get it figured out, they'll scuttle it for some new nightmare.

Personally, we use DDP straight-up and we love it.

As far as "consistency," I try never to use that word in the same sentence with the word "Disney!"

bstnsprts said:
It is now dishonorable to seat in another seat at a baseball game.
If that seat belongs to someone else????
What would be wrong with sitting in the seat that was assigned?

Nevermind I understand now...

bstnsprts said:
...when they make a mistake in favor of the consumer, the consumer should take advantage.

It is all crystal clear now.

zookeeper said:
:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Now that would be SOME thread! I bet it would reach multiple pages in record time! Oh wait, is it moral to bet on thread lengths??? :rolleyes:

Okay let me say upfront, I am NOT volunteering to start up that sticky :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter