I unexpectedly met Oliver and made a fool of myself....ugh

I was not expecting it at all and that is why I was so surprised. I had no idea they were there. I really would have loved to have met Pete Werner and give him a hug too and tell him how much I love, appreciate and enjoy all that he has created. Oliver mentioned he was in his room at AKL and would be down to the lobby soon but I did not see him. Love the whole Dis team!

Very cool story. I probably would have been the same, I don't do well when I'm taken by surprise!

I have been watching the Dis Unplugged for years and every trip I think it would be cool to run into someone form the show. In the back of my mind I am looking around for someone during my normal walk around the parks having fun. My family and I were at Epcot on show day, it was the day that they made Oliver go into the UK store and ask for stuff, and my wife told me that she recognized someone we passed. I took off and found Oliver about a minute later. He was with someone but I had a bout of temporary rudeness and did not introduce myself so I am not sure who he was with although I am sure it was hid significant other. He was very pleasant during our quick meeting and was nice enough to take a selfie with me.
I finally ran into a show member at the park. I was so happy!
IMG_0339.JPG

So I have been watching the Disunplugged podcast for a couple of years now. I really enjoy the content because I love WDW, and also enjoy the personalities of the entire team. It's almost like when you watch a favorite TV show or Soap Opera...you feel like you get to know these people. Anyway, we were visiting WDW the first week of December. One morning, our family group of 6 were having breakfast at Boma. We had just finished a fabulous breakfast and were about to give my brother in law, sister in law, and niece a tour of AKL (we were staying at Beach Club). As the 6 of us got on the elevator, I was about to press the lobby floor button and the doors were closing, I suddenly saw a man approaching with luggage. I put my arms in front of the door and asked if he would like to come in. When I looked up...it was Oliver. So funny! I instantly recognized his face but for some reason I went into a mental block and weird frenzy where I couldn't think. Perhaps because I was not expecting to see a DisUnplugged team member while on vacation. I was so beyond surprised to see him....and my family tells me that my facial expression was priceless because my jaw dropped as if I were seeing the ghost of Walt Disney himself (nobody in my family watches Disunplugged so they had no idea who the heck he was or what was going on). I blurted out "I know you" and said something like "your my Disney podcast buddy but I can't think of your name"....I KNEW HIS NAME....I KNOW ALL OF THEIR NAMES...I just had a moment of temporary insanity....LOL! He was so sweet. He got on the elevator and all I know is I road the elevator up and down a few times with him not even realizing that my family had gotten off! My husband tells me that as they stood outside the elevator door, in the lobby, the doors opened and closed several times but I did not appear! (We had many good laughs about this later). Oliver was so very gracious and kind. I think I hugged him 3 times and took a selfie with him. I'm sorry I was so silly....but it certainly made for a fun and funny WDW memory. Thank you Oliver.
I love the part that you both stayed on the elevator for a few rounds lol

This is adorable! I am smiling reading this thread. Glad you had a great experience. Better elevator ride than ToT! (but I don't ride that anyway, lol)

I've been listening to the podcast for many, many years and once I ran into John and Kevin at Epcot! I was so excited and they were on their way out.. I walked up to Kevin and said "hi! I'm Marci (we had exchanged a few private messages but I'm pretty sure he didn't know me anyway lol) and I love the podcast. Kevin was super nice and explained to me that John wasn't feeling well and they were on their way out of the park. I said no problem! Of course, I hope he's feeling better soon and that was it. They were great (and why wouldn't they be?). On my most recent trip I saw Ryno with some of his friends walking into Epcot (seems Epcot is where I see everyone)... I was so excited and was going to go say hi but I was watching three young kids under the age of 5 and didn't want to take that traveling circus with me to see him.. so I didn't approach him. It's so funny cause we see these people every week, sometimes multiple times a week, in our homes and feel like they REALLY are our friends. It's such a strange thing!

I've been listening to the podcast for many, many years and once I ran into John and Kevin at Epcot! I was so excited and they were on their way out.. I walked up to Kevin and said "hi! I'm Marci (we had exchanged a few private messages but I'm pretty sure he didn't know me anyway lol) and I love the podcast. Kevin was super nice and explained to me that John wasn't feeling well and they were on their way out of the park. I said no problem! Of course, I hope he's feeling better soon and that was it. They were great (and why wouldn't they be?). On my most recent trip I saw Ryno with some of his friends walking into Epcot (seems Epcot is where I see everyone)... I was so excited and was going to go say hi but I was watching three young kids under the age of 5 and didn't want to take that traveling circus with me to see him.. so I didn't approach him. It's so funny cause we see these people every week, sometimes multiple times a week, in our homes and feel like they REALLY are our friends. It's such a strange thing!
'Zactly - I feel they are all just friends that I haven't met (yet) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter