I Told You Driving Was Bad For Your Health! *2/2* NEW TRIP REPORT LINK P102

K&T's yard is almost as pretty as Longwood Gardens
Definitely. :thumbsup2

and golf course and adult video shop
You really were taking pictures of everything, weren't you? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

When I went inside to use the facilities I couldn't help but take a picture of this, because there are somedays when I definitely need one.
Don't we all...

My reaction when I had my camera set to take about 15 consecutive pictures
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Well, at least you'll be sure to get at least one good picture!

Well what do you know? We got passed by a Disney Cruise line bus.
How depressing...

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally found signs for MCO and gas.

Crisis averted.
I'm glad you finally found a gas station and the airport. Although I don't think I'd be too terribly upset if I missed a flight and got stuck on vacation for an extra day or 2. :rolleyes1

I promised you some Christmas at Longwood pictures and you're going to get them. Denny and I visited on the last night that our pass was good. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to see the Christmas display> It was freezing and there was snow on the ground. We were supposed to go with friends, but they bailed, so we went by ourselves and had a great time.
Very beautiful and Christmassy. I'm always impressed by trees that have lights all over the trunk and the branches. It looks amazing, but that has got to take a lot of work.

Some of the outside displays were closed due to the unusually cold weather.
Really??? Wow... and that was before all this polar vortex stuff. :rotfl2::rotfl:

So was this because what Christmas shop is complete without a Halloween display?
Kind of a poor man's version of the Nightmare Before Christmas??? :confused3 Always on the look out for that Disney tie in. :rotfl:

Sounds like a great trip planned for February! And after the winter we've been having I'm sure it'll be a very welcome change in scenery!

Beautiful pictures of Longwood Gardens! Loved them!

What great pictures, love Longwood, best Christmas decorations I've seen in a long time.

Your trip over to Daytona was really cool, love the beachy stuff like the little bungalows & eating places on piers. Your friends yard was very nice, I want to live in Florida to have a jungle yard!

I just learned about those water bags while at a friends house in Kentucky this summer. She told me the bags kept the Mosquitos away. I don't know the principal behind the water bags or if they even work.

We have "Fish Camps" around here, and at least here it has nothing in particular to do with fishing or camping. It is just a name that lets you know it is your bare bones, no frills type rustic eating establishment that specializes in serving fish. Where you ate is exactly what I mean, with wooden picnic tables, maybe rolls of paper towels instead of napkins, paper serving trays, etc. I spent some time in the Boston area a few years ago and went to a similar place where they served lobster "in the raw." Same type of place.

Looking forward to your wrap up!

A couple of the "Fish Camps" I have been in are casual but ours around here are not always that casual. Some have has long Biergarten type family style tables, some nicer and even real dishes.

Lots and Lots of fried fish, that is a given.:)

Your Longwood pictures are fantastic. I am sure the table display was stunning but those apples look pretty cool too.

OMG - Getting back to the airport. :scared1: I would have been crazy and probably gotten myself more lost in my craziness.

So glad that it all ended well. Well as good as going home can end. ;)

The lighthouse was cool- I really need to do more of that sort of thing. The last lighthouse I visited was probably 30 years ago. :eek:

I would've been freaking out being lost and counting the ticking minutes away. thank goodness you made it ok.

It was a really weird feeling because we never get lost around Orland and then we go and have this twilight zone experience. I am glad we were going in the right direction, but there were a few moments there when I thought we might be in trouble.

Love the Christmas pictures. The fisheye attachment is fun isn't it. Only good to use for a few pictures, but still fun to do a few different things than the normal stuff. I don't think I have even used it since our Williamsburg trip, but I plan to bring it to disney this year too.

Thanks.

Yes - it is fun. I enjoyed fooling around with it. I wish it didn't leave that circle which is so obvious, but I'm glad I was paying attention when you got yours. It was definitely worth the $.

I had never heard of Rebooth till the other day when some co-workers were talking about it and now I can say I have seen pictures of it too!

Coincidence or what? It's a very popular location beach but I don't think it has nationwide name recognition. I enjoy it most in the off season because it gets REALLY crowded in the summer.

I can see why you would have been ready to get home. You still had some important things to do and I'm sure that you were ready to get them started.

There's always a part of you that wants to stay on permanent vacation, but the realistic pragmatic part of you knows when it's time to go!

We have fishing camps here too! Yep, places that you go to fish and camp. I guess that's why Louisiana is called the Sportsmans' Paradise. The picture of the tiny bungalo reminds me on a tiny little house here in our town. It very similar in size and every time that I drive by it, I wonder who lives in that little bitty thing.

That is the smallest house ever. I wonder what's inside. Do you think its all just one little room and a bathroom or do you think there might be more room? I seriously have my doubts.

The plastic bags filled with water and a penny are to keep flies away. Something about the light reflecting on the water and copper keeps them away. I've seen them at restaurants with outside seating and at all of the concession stands when the local fair rolls around.

So it's flies? I thought it might be all bugs. How does it work? Does the light reflection work to scare the bees away?

Wow! The gardens with the Christmas decorations are absolutely beautiful! Again, the wreath is one of my favorites. I like things that look a little "different" and all of those flowers sticking out here and there appeal to me.

Like I said before, Longwood is seriously top notch. I always enjoy all the wreaths. I love how they use all those plants to create something so beautiful.
I really enjoyed having a pass there this past year!

It would have been a bit stressful being lost and trying to meet a flight time. Well, not a bit - maybe a lot. ::yes::

The Christmas displays are very pretty. Glad you went on without your friends and got to see it all. It does look cold, though.

I have read that the theory behind the pennies in the bags is that it creates a prism effect which drives the flies crazy. Who knows? I haven't interviewed any flies to see what they really think about it. :scratchin

After two days of no internet, I am too far behind on your TR and EVERYONE else's. So my comments will be brief...please forgive me.

First, I just want to tell you again how excited I am that I get to see you and Denny again. And Mark is super excited to meet you too (I'll work on those Eeyore ears for you).

Do you know in all of our stays in Daytona Beach (at least 7), we have never visited the Ponce Inlet Museum? We will have to rectify that the next time we go.

I love ALL of your pictures of Longwood...the Fall and Christmas. They are simply beautiful flowers and you caught them perfectly.

The restaurant you stopped at before you headed to MCO looks really fun. I think I missed it...was that on Smyrna Beach?

Philadelphia...not my favorite place right now after all Mark's troubles getting there. He finally got there this morning and hope he has no issues getting home tomorrow night.

I can't wait for the recap.

I think I will skip the tour of that town. LOL
The location for lunch is nice on the water.
Food looked good.
Little rough getting to the airport but glad you made it.
Gorgeous pics of Longwood.
Great updates and pics.

Ok, seeing your photos of the side of A1A made me feel a little nostalgic. I lived south of there along A1A for many years, and that whole road has such unique and interesting sights.
I'm glad you had an enjoyable lunch. Beachside restaurants can be quite tasty, and they are the perfect spot to eat at before heading back home.

Love all your Christmas photographs! I think the snow on the ground made for some very pretty pictures, but I can also understand how someone who has to actually live with the snow might not enjoy even seeing it in photos. :rotfl:
It's good you were able to get in a quick tour of Longwoods before your pass expired; it looks like it'd be a fantastic place to visit to get yourself in the holiday mood.

Today was the vacation day every one dreads. The day when you have to say good-bye to sunny Florida and head home. *sigh*

:crazy2: It especially hurts given the current temperatures.

and golf course and adult video shop

:eek: One-stop shopping?

Anyone up for some shopping in the Hospice Resale Shop? I didn't think so.

Hey, check out this nice sweater...

I don't recall the name of the restaurant. It was definitely a local place, but sometimes (as I'm sure Captain Oblivious will attest to) the local places are the best places.

Sometimes? There's nothing better than finding a great dive!:thumbsup2

My reaction when I had my camera set to take about 15 consecutive pictures

Thanks for not posting all of them. :rotfl:

All I know is that this cute town did NOT have a gas station

:headache:

There was some momentary panic because now it was after 3pm, our flight left at 5pm, and we still had no frickin' clue where we were. Even my phone was super helpful.

Well, at least you know how far it is to Miami. That seems like the only option at this point.:thumbsup2

And found ourselves on the wrong end of the monorail - that would be the departure end.

:sad1:

BWI is a lot cheaper, so I think its become my air line of choice. Even on my girls trip in May I am flying in and out of BWI.

BWI is a nicer airport, too.

I promised you some Christmas at Longwood pictures and you're going to get them.

Gorgeous pictures!

I also love the beach in the offseason. It's really great having the place to yourself.

The Longwood Gardens are beautiful! Wow, I miss Christmas. :laughing:

Phew! Thank God y'all didn't miss your flight after you got lost!

Great Updates Mary Ellen, those scallops looked wonderful !! I had to cuckle at Th Taco Store , above was a Cat ad !!! Mmmm what were the Tacos made of !!!:rotfl2:Poor you and the search for Gas and MCO !! Glad you made it in time !! Loved the pix of the Christmas decorations at Longwood !!!

K&T's yard IS gorgeous!

Thanks for giving us a duck update.

I love your pictures from the drive along A1A

Cat grooming? Who is the poor sucker who has to lick the cats?

and we drove so far out of our way to find one that we got totally lost.

So I put MCO into the GPS so we could find our way back to the highway....or so I thought. But when we finally found our way back to the highway nothing…and I mean NOTHING …..looked familiar. That's when I was certain I must have put Sanford into the GPS. There was some momentary panic because now it was after 3pm, our flight left at 5pm, and we still had no frickin' clue where we were. Even my phone was super helpful.

Yet another reason why driving is bad for your health!

Loved your pictures from Longwood Gardens. The ones of the greenhouses looked like snowglobes.

This picture is awesome!

Those Christmas pics are amazing! So beautiful!

Thank you! Longwood does an amazing Christmas display and this year was awesome because hardly anyone was out that night.

The beach looks really relaxing with no one there!

I love the beach during off season. It really is very serene and its funs to take pictures there in the winter.

Glad you made the plane.....that was cutting it close!

Jill in CO[/QUOTE]

I know. I felt totally lost. It was the worst feeling ever! :sad2:

Mary Ellen, what a great trip!

It really was a great trip! I didn't have the highest expectations so that made it that much better.

So glad you found the airport. I would have had a panic attack for sure.

Oh trust me - there was panicking going on, that's for sure! :rotfl2:

Can't wait for the next one. :thumbsup2

Coming soon!

I am going to try that!!!!

I was thinking the same thing! :thumbsup2

Hahaha! No, thankfully not! That was Pop. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: Well, I guess bugs can get in any resort, but it is a little disturbing to find a bug in any shower. It's just plain YUCK!

I'll be back to read the last update tomorrow!

:thumbsup2

I really wish I could have visited the Longwood Gardens on our East Coast trip last Summer. It was so rainy though, I would have missed a lot of the outside setup.

The outside gardens are really beautiful, so it would have been a shame to miss that in the rain. But the do such a great job with the indoor gardens and so much thought goes into the planning for every season.

I bet you were absolutely freaking out on your trip back to the airport!

Yup - pretty much. I was so scared we had gotten turned around and were on our way to Sandford airport. :faint:

That fish eye lens is so cool! Such a neat perspective on things.

I wish I could afford a real one, but it is a fun attachment to play with. I'm glad I got it. It gives me another toy to play with. :thumbsup2

Can't wait for the recap!:cool1:

I'm going to start working on it this weekend. I love doing recaps, even though they are quite a lot of work. Still worth it.

Wow what great updates and photos!

Crazy photos driving through town on your last day. Hospice thrift store? ew.

but you have such a great eye for those shots that even the little bungalows and shacks look eye catching and colorful.

OMG for not being able to find your way back to MCO. oh that car would have been most unpleasant had it been Joe and I. eek!! Glad you finally made it. Sad as it is to end vacation, you really did have a lot to get home for. You needed another vacation right after LOL

Longwood Gardens was beautiful -- both trips! I can't believe how empty it was when you went there. I've only ever been once, with my sister & 3 friends, Katie in a stroller & my niece & nephew ewre little tykes. it was so crowded for Christmas that it was scary. literally. but your trip was enough to make me want to go back again.

The fish eye lens photos are pretty cool. How nice to be able to head over to Rehoboth spur of the moment.

the Halloween items decorated for Christmas ... very "nightmare before Christmas" ish.

looking forward to your highlights of the trip ME!

what a contrast between your um, interesting, set of pictures on the way to lunch (A Hospice resale shop??????????) and then the spectacular Longwood Gardens.

:rotfl: You're right - there is quite a contrast. There really much that was photogenic on the way to New Smryna Beach. Believe me, I tried to find something photogenic, but it just didn't happen.

I would have been very stressed about being lost and running late to MCO and Jeff would have been most un-fun to be around in that scenario. Very glad it worked out ok.

Denny was getting mad at more. He really wasn't that stressed otherwise, but he usually stays very calm. It was just so weird. It was like once he got off on that random exit we went into the twilight zone. I'm very glad we got there on time, too, although I could have stayed another day. :rotfl:

I always thought Fish Camp sounded funny. Will they kick you out if you just want to camp and don't fish (or gut or clean them either?) :rotfl:

The question is - would you WANT to go there and not fish. I'm thinking that would have to be the ONLY reason you would stay there. I'm sure the accommodations are not the most modern. :lmao:

Lunch sounded wonderful. How is it that the return trip to the airport seems to always be anxiety filled?

Lunch was fun. It was a nice way to close out our trip.

And…I don't know. It started out with us having plenty of time and it went completely downhill from there. :faint:

Beautiful Christmas pictures of Longwood. The colors in them are fantastic!

Thank you! Longwood does such a great Christmas display and since it was FREEZING out we pretty much had the place to ourselves. That made it SO much easier to take pictures.

Yea for a day trip to Rehoboth. We used to go to Dewey Beach every summer. I bet it's really quiet during the winter!

Christine

It's very quiet down there, however, it is becoming more and more of a year round town. NY EVE is pretty hoping down there. I really enjoy going to the Delaware beaches during the off season. It's pleasant just to walk around and enjoy the sights.

Sorry to see your TR is wrapping up, but you are certainly going out with a bang! Those pictures of Longwood are so beautiful and the snow really adds to the feeling of Christmas. Amazing decorations! :goodvibes

So glad you like the pictures. I love Longwood and their Christmas display is always so top notch. They really do a beautiful job with all the decorations and details.

We have "Fish Camps" around here, and at least here it has nothing in particular to do with fishing or camping. It is just a name that lets you know it is your bare bones, no frills type rustic eating establishment that specializes in serving fish. Where you ate is exactly what I mean, with wooden picnic tables, maybe rolls of paper towels instead of napkins, paper serving trays, etc. I spent some time in the Boston area a few years ago and went to a similar place where they served lobster "in the raw." Same type of place.

So a fish camp can actually be a restaurant? Not a place to camp? Hmmmm. I asked T was they were and that was her answer. The restaurant we ate at was definitely bare bones, but it was fun. I enjoy places like that for a change.

So what is lobster in the "raw"? It's cooked, right? Just served in a no-frills style?

Looking forward to your wrap up!

I am going to work on it this weekend. I hope I don't get carried away with the pictures. Hopefully I will just hit the highlights!

The pictures of the Christmas decorations are just beautiful. They would make some gorgeous Christmas cards :)

Thank you! Hmmmm - I never thought about Christmas cards, but that would definitely work. Thanks for the great idea!

What a great trip! And fun with pictures along the road at the end.
I would have been flipping out lost on the way to the airport!

Absolutely gorgeous pictures of Christmas at Longwood! WOW!! I agree - your pictures would make great Christmas cards!!

Looking forward to your final thoughts!

Ahhh I can't believe we're at go-home day! But I know there's more to come. :thumbsup2

Yes there is - a whole new TR is coming up! :thumbsup2 I've got to get the going right after my last update!

Some of those signs on the way to lunch are too funny. Hospice resale? What the what?

I know. I have never heard of a hospice resale shop, but I can see where it might fill a need. It just struck me as unusual. How about medical supply resale shop? :confused3

Lunch looks good, local joints are usually the best for sure. :thumbsup2

K&T know the best places, so it was fun to enjoy that last meal with them!

Glad you got turned the right way round and made it to the airport & got gas on time.

I think we were going the right way the whole time, but when we got off on the exit we kept going until we literally got on at a new exit/entrance further down the road. It was just weird.

Those Christmas at Longwood AND Rehoboth Beach pics are stunning! I really need a place like that to go to at Christmas time.

I feel really fortunate that Longwood is so close to our home. It's an absolutely wonderful place and I really enjoyed visiting it a bunch of times over the last year.

I have one of those fisheye attachments too, fun to play with but definitely not for quality. Maybe someday if I win the lottery I'll buy a real fisheye lens!

I noticed that the quality is definitely sacrificed, but you really can't tell until you upload the pics. Still, for $16 it was worth the purchase. I will use it a little bit in Florida just for fun! And, yes, if I won the lottery I would get every lens imaginable and a new camera! :rotfl:

Definitely. :thumbsup2

You really were taking pictures of everything, weren't you? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Why yes, yes I was. :rotfl2:

Don't we all...

And somedays more than others. :rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Well, at least you'll be sure to get at least one good picture!

And even then it was a challenge. But we tried and we got our group shot! :thumbsup2

How depressing...

Well, we could have just followed the bus to the port. But that wouldn't have gotten us on that cruise, would it? :(

I'm glad you finally found a gas station and the airport. Although I don't think I'd be too terribly upset if I missed a flight and got stuck on vacation for an extra day or 2. :rolleyes1

I wouldn't have been all that upset either. It's never happened to me, but I think I could roll with having another day in Disney.

Very beautiful and Christmassy. I'm always impressed by trees that have lights all over the trunk and the branches. It looks amazing, but that has got to take a lot of work.

I think it takes them 3 days to do the conservatory, but I noticed that the tree lights were up well in advance of the Christmas display. I think they use a ton of volunteers there. In fact, I was talking to one when I visited in the spring. I guess almost anyone can volunteer and then you end up with a pass. If it was a little closer that would be a cool thing to do.

Really??? Wow... and that was before all this polar vortex stuff. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Yup. Oh wait - may that was the FIRST polar vortex. :confused3 All I can tell you is that it was SO COLD, but so worth the visit.

Kind of a poor man's version of the Nightmare Before Christmas??? :confused3 Always on the look out for that Disney tie in. :rotfl:

Always! :thumbsup2 pixie dust:

Sounds like a great trip planned for February! And after the winter we've been having I'm sure it'll be a very welcome change in scenery!

You can say that again. At first I felt a little guilty for planning a winter trip, but now I don't at all. This winter has been rough. I knew we were due for a bad one. It's not the snow that bothers me, but the cold and being stuck inside. BRRRRR!

Beautiful pictures of Longwood Gardens! Loved them!

Thank you!

What great pictures, love Longwood, best Christmas decorations I've seen in a long time.

Thank you! Longwood's display was really great this year. Some years its very similar, but I think they really changed it up this year. I loved it.

Your trip over to Daytona was really cool, love the beachy stuff like the little bungalows & eating places on piers. Your friends yard was very nice, I want to live in Florida to have a jungle yard!

I always enjoy going over to Daytona. It's really a nice area and certainly never crowded, at least where we end up going.

:rotfl: They really do have a bit of a jungle yard, but its perfect. It must be great to be able to grow all those tropical plants. Love it!

I just learned about those water bags while at a friends house in Kentucky this summer. She told me the bags kept the Mosquitos away. I don't know the principal behind the water bags or if they even work.

I am surprised I have never heard of the water bags before. I mean - it seems like such a simple thing, so why was this the first time I ever saw it. Maybe because it does look a little tacky. Tacky, but effective.

A couple of the "Fish Camps" I have been in are casual but ours around here are not always that casual. Some have has long Biergarten type family style tables, some nicer and even real dishes.

Lots and Lots of fried fish, that is a given.:)

Real dishes? Woooo! :rotfl2: But that does sound cool. I like that family style dining idea. That would be fun. Hey - if I could fish all day and then have someone clean my fish and fry it up, well, I might be on board for that!

Your Longwood pictures are fantastic. I am sure the table display was stunning but those apples look pretty cool too.

The apples was a really neat idea. Simple, yet pretty cool and very different from anything they have ever done before. They went from really fancy last year to really simple this year. It was nicely done.

OMG - Getting back to the airport. :scared1: I would have been crazy and probably gotten myself more lost in my craziness.

So glad that it all ended well. Well as good as going home can end. ;)

OMG - If I had been driving that's exactly what would have happened. :rotfl2: Thank goodness Denny always keeps a level head. Not me - panic ALL the way! :laughing:

The lighthouse was cool- I really need to do more of that sort of thing. The last lighthouse I visited was probably 30 years ago. :eek:

I'm so glad we visited the lighthouse and the museum display. It was really done so well and such an enjoyable tourist attraction. Highly recommended by this traveler.

It would have been a bit stressful being lost and trying to meet a flight time. Well, not a bit - maybe a lot. ::yes::

IT was just so weird. We were right on track and then suddenly it was like - where the $@)) are we? Not something I care to repeat anytime soon, that's for sure!

The Christmas displays are very pretty. Glad you went on without your friends and got to see it all. It does look cold, though.

If we hadn't had that annual pass I am certain we wouldn't have gone. And the funny thing is - I knew all along they were going to bail. I am so glad we went. Usually Longwood is PACKED, but we had the place to ourselves and it was wonderful. Definitely a great evening.

I have read that the theory behind the pennies in the bags is that it creates a prism effect which drives the flies crazy. Who knows? I haven't interviewed any flies to see what they really think about it. :scratchin

:rotfl2: And don't put that high on your priority list either - interviewing flies, that is. It might end in frustration. :rotfl2:

After two days of no internet, I am too far behind on your TR and EVERYONE else's. So my comments will be brief...please forgive me.

Ugh - nothing worse than no internet. That would drive me crazy! At least you had it at work, but still. :faint:

First, I just want to tell you again how excited I am that I get to see you and Denny again. And Mark is super excited to meet you too (I'll work on those Eeyore ears for you).

We are super excited! I can't believe we were both planning to be at MK the same day. That's so cool. Totally looking forward to meeting Mark and seeing you again. :thumbsup2 to the Eeyore ears!

Do you know in all of our stays in Daytona Beach (at least 7), we have never visited the Ponce Inlet Museum? We will have to rectify that the next time we go.

Are you going to Daytona this time? I remember last year you had to visit Daytona on Mark's business trip (and what a fiasco that ended up being). Anyway - definitely check it out the next time you are in the area. It's worth the $5.

I love ALL of your pictures of Longwood...the Fall and Christmas. They are simply beautiful flowers and you caught them perfectly.

Thank you! I love Longwood and I really enjoyed using that pass over the past year. I hope we get another one at some point this year. Definitely the next time we go we will pick up another year pass.

The restaurant you stopped at before you headed to MCO looks really fun. I think I missed it...was that on Smyrna Beach?

Yup - that was New Smyrna Beach. We never really got into the town, which would have been fun to see.

Philadelphia...not my favorite place right now after all Mark's troubles getting there. He finally got there this morning and hope he has no issues getting home tomorrow night.

The Philadelphia airport is notorious for running behind schedule. Throw in the weather factor and - Forget about it! I hope the remainder of his travels were uneventful and he got out of the city for Brotherly love right on time.

I can't wait for the recap.

I'm going to start writing it up this weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter