I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently at 5/24 because I got the Amex Gold in June. My first billing cycle hasn't ended yet and I've met the MSR. I'm thinking about applying for a Chase Business card before the Amex reports. I really need Chase points and will be able to make the MSR with an insurance payment and my son's housing for fall (fraternity can be paid with a card). Any downside to doing this?
nope, good luck! I just applied for one yesterday, instant approval.

That stinks. Don’t give up though. Does HA have any partners that fly the route you need? You can position yourself to another airport that has a route you can fly HA with your points. Yes it’s more of a hassle but better than losing the points for a special trip. Find a route where you can use your HA miles to Hawaii. Come in a day early and have a pre trip adventure.

A few years ago I had planned to use my BA miles to fly to London out of Miami. Award availability in first or business was non existent when it came time for me to book and award flights were released. I found a route with award space from New York and booked NY to London with my BA miles. We flew in the evening before our fight, spent the day sightseeing and having fun in New York and flew out to London in the evening. In the end it turned out to be one of my better travel snafu stories. Then again that was the same trip where my return flight was canceled and we wound up taking a 6.5 hour Uber from Scotland to London. 😂
It looks like we could also fly up to NY to take the same flight. We were just there last month, but wouldn't be the worst thing to go back. I did DM Hawaiian on Twitter and they said they are checking with management to see what they can do. We'll see, I'm sure it will all work out, just hit me the wrong way when I first saw the email.

I remember the uber story! Such an adventure. My husband said at least they didn't cancel the day of (which our trip last month to NYC had a cancelation that stressed us out, but turned out OK)

Kroger fuel won't code as a gas station for CF, correct?

It appears it will - here's what the Chase website says:

MERCHANT LIST​

Examples of gas stations​

• 7-Eleven
  • Amoco
  • Andeavor
  • Arco
  • BJ’s Wholesale Fuel
  • BP
  • Casey’s General Store
  • Cenex
  • Chevron
  • Circle K
  • Citgo
  • City Market Fuel
  • Conoco
  • Costco Wholesale Fuel
  • Cumberland Farms
  • Dillons Fuel
  • ExxonMobil / Mobil
  • Fred Meyer Fuel
  • Fry’s Food & Drug Fuel
  • Giant Eagle Fuel / GetGo
  • Gulf Oil
  • H.E. Butt / H-E-B Fuel
  • Holiday Stations
  • Hy-Vee Fuel
  • Ingles Gas Express
  • Irving Oil
  • King Soopers Fuel
  • Kroger Fuel
  • Kum & Go
  • Kwik Star
  • Kwik Trip
  • Loaf 'N Jug
  • Love’s Travel Stops + Country Stores
  • Lukoil / AZS Lukoil
  • Marathon
  • Maverik
  • Meijer Fuel
  • Murphy USA
  • Petroleum Wholesale
  • Phillips 66
  • QuikTrip
  • RaceTrac
  • Raceway
  • Rutter’s Farm Stores
  • Safeway Fuel
  • Sam’s Club Fuel
  • Sheetz
  • Shell
  • Sinclair Oil
  • Smith’s Food & Drug Fuel
  • Speedway
  • Stewart’s Shops
  • Stop & Shop Fuel
  • Sunoco
  • Texaco
  • Thorntons Inc
  • Turkey Hill Convenience
  • United Dairy Farmers
  • Valero
  • Walmart Fuel
  • Wawa Gasoline

I’d decided that we would be canceling ours when the AF hits this year. The dining credit is just more nails into that coffin.

I value UR points over Disney points. We will use a CSR for taxes on the cruise but generally pay the whole thing with Disney GCs purchased at 5x. The Wish MV was paid for with Disney GCs and all of our charges onboard will be paid for with Disney GCs. I’m looking forward to exploring the new ship, Pirate night and some adult libations.

That stinks. Don’t give up though. Does HA have any partners that fly the route you need? You can position yourself to another airport that has a route you can fly HA with your points. Yes it’s more of a hassle but better than losing the points for a special trip. Find a route where you can use your HA miles to Hawaii. Come in a day early and have a pre trip adventure.

A few years ago I had planned to use my BA miles to fly to London out of Miami. Award availability in first or business was non existent when it came time for me to book and award flights were released. I found a route with award space from New York and booked NY to London with my BA miles. We flew in the evening before our fight, spent the day sightseeing and having fun in New York and flew out to London in the evening. In the end it turned out to be one of my better travel snafu stories. Then again that was the same trip where my return flight was canceled and we wound up taking a 6.5 hour Uber from Scotland to London. 😂
We've been watching videos we have 3 booked this year (for the wish) eventually my dw and i will give it away 😂 meanwhile my kid gets one guess a day. TBH im shocked she hasn't guessed it yet she has named the other 2 boats we have gone on though... Just not the wish even with the YouTube videos. 26 days to go! But who's counting.

We've been watching videos we have 3 booked this year (for the wish) eventually my dw and i will give it away 😂 meanwhile my kid gets one guess a day. TBH im shocked she hasn't guessed it yet she has named the other 2 boats we have gone on though... Just not the wish even with the YouTube videos. 26 days to go! But who's counting.
I'm dying to go on the Wish, but I don't like short cruises (I'm tightly wound and it takes me four days to begin to relax:)

This... @darnheather should be getting new cards for each Tuition Payment (or 2 cards per each Tuition payment).

Are you paying the $10,000 at one time or can you pay like $5000 at one time and $5000 in 3 months (to try and space out Chase Cards if going that way)

You have a lot of options for cards and can get some good SUB's. Do you have a Player 2 or just you getting cards?

I am on my last year of college tuition for my 2 kids. I always got a new card or cards B4 Tuition was due. Got a lot of Chase UR's that way (College did not take AMEX). So, make sure to see what cards the college will accept and then go from there.

I think the Chase CSP/CSR Double Dip would be good for 1 payment. Maybe Cap One Venture X for another partial payment or Chase Ink Biz Cards. Or SW Cards or United Biz. So many possibilities.

I can make two payments of $5000 each but I'm not sure if there is a penalty/surcharge. So far I've been covered by the GI bill and not made any payments. No 2nd player.

Thank you so much for your help. Can I apply and use the CSP then cancel it, do the same for the CSR and then do it all again each time I make payments? Also, how do I keep track of my points when I cancel cards?

1. DTW and GRR. Could also fly Chicago for international flights if it makes more sense than DTW
2. Europe mostly
3. Preferred? Its the one with the lower annual fee
Thanks!

I think I'd first send your DH a "support link" (aka "prefer" minus the p because the mods are weird about the "r" word :rolleyes:) to your DH from your CSP for him to obtain a CSP-that way you earn a bonus and he'll earn the SUB which is 60K right now for $4K spend (not the highest, historically but not bad). If he's approved you'll earn 15K so together that's 75,000 Ultimate Rewards which are good for Southwest (domestic flights) as well as transfer to Flying Blue/KLM (which can get you to Europe from DTW) or United (flights from ORD). I'd then consider the freedom unlimited for the 1.5 multiplier for the remaining spend-right now the MSR is $500 for $200 back (or 20000 Ultimate Rewards plus the $1000 spend so another 1500 URs which then can be transferred via your CSP-chase sapphire preferred) to either Flying Blue or United (or Marriott, Hyatt, etc...) when you need them. That's the first $5K spent. Obviously I'm looking long term at stockpiling URs for Europe flights-those usually open 11-12 months ahead of time AND don't expire if you keep them as Ultimate Rewards and don't transfer to the frequent flier programs.

It can take a lot of miles/points to get to Europe with an entire family so collecting slowly and keeping them for that purpose takes some discipline. The above play should earn your DH 64,000 (SUB + 4000 from spend), 36,500 for you (SUB+spend+ 15000 from the preferral). So once y'all combine that should be 100,500 URs. Economy saver awards from ORD-MUC (or other locations in Europe) begin at around 30-33k/pp/one way (but can be as much as 70K for nonstop) so you're looking at almost getting there for 4 with that haul. Flying Blue is a little less predictable but I've found 2 A 2K 1 way from DTW to CDG for 52, 500 flying blue miles next July so depending on your dates 100,500 URs could get you a RT to Europe.

Anyway, those are my thoughts...fortunately you're going to have several tuition payments to make so can tweak as necessary, although please keep Chase's 5/24 in mind because that is definitely a rate limiting rule!

Last edited:
Picked Tux up from the vet earlier this afternoon with instructions to not let him do anything really. Pretty much all rules broken within 5 min :rotfl:I think he's going to end up being confined to his leash for the week, at least for some of the time to keep him from jumping on and off the chair. Which I didn't want him to learn but once he realized he could get up he knew he could jump down. We have a ramp for the couch.

He also kindly helped more with my msr since he had both his baby and adult canine so they had to pull the two baby teeth too.

You're right. When skimming through the headlines on DoC it says 3 months, but when you view the post it says 6. Proof that I'm not crazy:

View attachment 683031
I think if I put all my spend on this card I could do it in 6 months. In 3 months, I would have to resort to some MS. I'm not sure though... still waiting to pull the trigger.

Thanks, just applied and was approved. Low credit limit of $3000. Hopefully I can move some credit from other business cards.
I have found it very easy to shift credit around on Chase business cards by SM. Just asked to move all the CL from one of DH's cards to another and close it, but they left $500 on the card they closed. Fine by me. They also tried to call him, but since it was a toll free number he didn't recognize, he didn't answer. They did the move and close anyway!

Heading to London tomorrow. Looks like our Dulles to Heathrow flight should go OK. Travel makes me very nervous right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter