I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok just caught up that being said I would go chase unlimited first and do that then as others suggested close the SW cards get the bigger bonus for next year and push that out. at least with the cu you would get 1.5x and you can transfer that to the southwest. I'm not sure if chase unlimited gives you pay yourself back but you could also get a Chase sapphire reserve/preferred depending on your travel spend and do that sign-up bonus also the thing is for that bit tuition purchase you would only be getting 1 vs 1.5 and for that much $ it makes a big difference in points imo.

I am leaning towards starting with the chase unlimited. Since the chase sapphire preferred we currently have is in my name, I am assuming I should open the chase freedom in my name as well for ease of tranferring points?
Are you sure you don't want to consider Chase business cards? Even if you just sell some of your old stuff, that counts. If you're open to that, then I'd get the Chase Ink Cash (firstname, lastname, SSN as the biz info) instead of the personal Unlimited if you have easy access to Staples or Office Depot/Office Max. You could be getting 5xUR for purchases at those stores (including gift cards there, that's why people like the no-purchase-fee VGC deals and Disney gcs at Staples). If the school payment portal accepts a VGC for payment, then that's a win. I wish my kid's school would take CCs! I'm stuck with using Plastiq to send checks and hoping to eek a small positive margin.

Yes, it is easier to transfer points in your own name from one account to another.

We heard back from the college and the masters program payment plans do not charge a convenience fee for credit cards.

We chose the deferred payment plan to allow the least amount of time between the charge and reimbursement from his company. Since each class is about 8 weeks long, we will be charged about $5000 every 2 months for the next 20 months or so.

I do not want to mess with business cards, so I will stick to just personal ones. I would like to take advantage of some sign on bonuses, but also dont want to go crazy opening up a bunch of new cards. Our current mix of cards is split between my dh and i.

Southwest (2 cards): husband
Disney visa: me
Chase sapphire: me
Delta amex gold: husband

So ideally we would refer each other for certain cards to get both referral and sign on bonuses. We primarily fly delta and southwest because our main large airport is a delta hub, and our closest regional airport has good southwest options. We currently plan on traveling domestically for the next few years, but would like to do some international trips (likely ABD and DCL) after that (waiting for kids to get a bit older). I feel pretty confident in my domestic flight rewards system, but figuring out long haul international flights is daunting!

Basically, I would love to get a crapton of miles stocked up for our future years of travel both domestic and international. What cards would you recommend with this information?
I'm going to suggest earning flexible points for international flights and if you want international then that is likely Chase/ American Express/Citi/Cap1. That said, can you please clarify the following questions (and apologies if previously answered-my mind doesn't retain as well as it used to, lol)?

1) What airports do you normally use?
2) When you say international, what parts of the world are you thinking? I know Southwest flies out of the country (Caribbean/Central America/Mexico) but not to other continents. When I think international my first thought is Europe but if yours is Mexico, then that's a different story.
3) Which Chase Sapphire do you have?

I have 4 Chase Biz cards. I am going to close my SW Biz card this month once the annual fee posts. Will also close one of my CIC cards (I have 2 CIC and 1 CIU.)
How long should I wait to apply for another Chase ink? I also have some pretty high credit limits on my personal accounts. Should I lower those too? I am probably getting close to the limit
You don’t need to wait after closing Biz cards. More important is when your last Chase application was. Most recommend waiting 3 months between applications. Required that you have to wait 30 days after last Chase app (personal or Biz) for a new Biz app.

Only my husband has southwest and delta cards, so would you recommend i open new ones in my name and keep his active? I am thinking of getting either one of those for a referral/sign up bonus, then using the chase freedom unlimited for 1.5% back on the rest. We also have $600/wk in daycare costs that I should be putting on the freedom! Why didnt i do this sooner….🤦🏻‍♀️
Perfect! Keep his open to refer you. Then next year(or the following year) close his, refer him!

Is there a compelling reason to keep a Bonvoy Brilliant now that the $300 credit is turning into monthly $25 dining credits? Just wondering if I'm overlooking something that might make it worthwhile to not cancel (other than a retention fee of course).
Personally, I don't see any compelling reason. I downgraded to the regular Amex Bonvoy for the 35K FNC (now that it can be topped off, it's pretty handy), a couple years ago (?) hoping to get some nice upgrade offer...which never materialized. But it's useful for when those Amex offers on Marriott properties rolls around. And an easy way to keep your Marriott points alive...

ok just caught up that being said I would go chase unlimited first and do that then as others suggested close the SW cards get the bigger bonus for next year and push that out. at least with the cu you would get 1.5x and you can transfer that to the southwest. I'm not sure if chase unlimited gives you pay yourself back but you could also get a Chase sapphire reserve/preferred depending on your travel spend and do that sign-up bonus also the thing is for that bit tuition purchase you would only be getting 1 vs 1.5 and for that much $ it makes a big difference in points imo.

I am leaning towards starting with the chase unlimited. Since the chase sapphire preferred we currently have is in my name, I am assuming I should open the chase freedom in my name as well for ease of tranferring points?
yeah thats what id do

Do I need to wait for the month to close on my SW card for the anniversary points to post to my RR account? If so how long does it take from the month close to the points being available in my RR account? Also I don't see the anniversary points pending. Is that normal? My AF posted on July 1 and the month closes on July 26 and I don't want to miss out on getting the fee credited.

Yes, it's about a day and a half, but the point of it is more the sight seeing than the transportation. You just sleep during the night time (dark hours). We've never done anything like it, so not sure that we'd love it, but there are quite a few blog posts about people who really love it.

On Southwest, the returning flights are around $700 if we fly back on Monday and about $425 on Tuesday. We do have the companion pass and lots of points, but still...!! If we did the Tuesday return, we wouldn't be taking Friday off. It would be possible to fly into LAX late so we could work Friday and take off Tuesday, but that would mean a very short night of sleep before starting the ride. I'm afraid I would probably sleep through the first part of it lol!
ahh, I wish I had that much time. when I looked it was 700 to go to Seattle from here and 1k up front for last weekend hopefully the price of oil going down changed that.

I'm going to suggest earning flexible points for international flights and if you want international then that is likely Chase/ American Express/Citi/Cap1. That said, can you please clarify the following questions (and apologies if previously answered-my mind doesn't retain as well as it used to, lol)?

1) What airports do you normally use?
2) When you say international, what parts of the world are you thinking? I know Southwest flies out of the country (Caribbean/Central America/Mexico) but not to other continents. When I think international my first thought is Europe but if yours is Mexico, then that's a different story.
3) Which Chase Sapphire do you have?
1. DTW and GRR. Could also fly Chicago for international flights if it makes more sense than DTW
2. Europe mostly
3. Preferred? Its the one with the lower annual fee

Do I need to wait for the month to close on my SW card for the anniversary points to post to my RR account? If so how long does it take from the month close to the points being available in my RR account? Also I don't see the anniversary points pending. Is that normal? My AF posted on July 1 and the month closes on July 26 and I don't want to miss out on getting the fee credited.
Yes the anniversary points usually post a day or so after the statement close date …but the AF will be due after 7/26 so you have time to get it refunded

Ughhh I paid $72 to transfer 120,000 MRs to Hawaiian Airlines so I could book direct flights to Hawaii. Just did that on Tuesday. Today I get an email they are no longer servicing that route and my flight is canceled. I booked this whole trip around that flight. Now I have no flight and I wasted all those points! That's what I get for thinking I could celebrate my 40th birthday with a nice trip.

il_1588xN.3798083956_huo3.jpg

i prefer these...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1202038430/credit-cards-categories-stickers-labels

:]
those are so cute! I'm waaaaay too cheap for that tho...... my inelegant sharpies scrawls across each card just make spending more fun!(insert laugh emoji here) If I don't write on each one,I will forget the proper categories. I'm 'only' carrying 3 basic cards atm,and I still need my sharpie notes on each one.

Chase offers.... how long till they show up on statement? I had a great one I used last week on my flex (10% back at Cumberland Farms which I used to fill the gas tank and combine with 5x)

Chase offers.... how long till they show up on statement? I had a great one I used last week on my flex (10% back at Cumberland Farms which I used to fill the gas tank and combine with 5x)
On mine it usually takes a week or more to post…since Monday was a holiday it may take a bit longer than usual

I'm currently at 5/24 because I got the Amex Gold in June. My first billing cycle hasn't ended yet and I've met the MSR. I'm thinking about applying for a Chase Business card before the Amex reports. I really need Chase points and will be able to make the MSR with an insurance payment and my son's housing for fall (fraternity can be paid with a card). Any downside to doing this?

CSR insurance data point: booked a flight using UR points from my CSR. Return flight from London was delayed so I missed my connection in Dulles. United wanted me to stay overnight and take a flight at noon the next day but dd was scheduled to work and I wanted to sleep in my own bed. Rented a car and drove home and returned the car the next day. The only challenge was they wanted evidence that the flight was booked with points from my CSR and I couldn't get my points history back to October and Chase wasn't much help. My receipt showed the flight was booked with UR points, but not from which account the points came from. I ended up submitting my October CSR statement showing my redeemed points exceeded the points the flight cost and they accepted that. Maybe in the future I need to print of the redemption history since it doesn't go back that far. Anyway, about six weeks later I got an email saying the claim was approved. It was only $113, but I swear I'm going broke a gallon of gas and an 8-pack of gatorade at a time right now so I'll take it!

Is there a compelling reason to keep a Bonvoy Brilliant now that the $300 credit is turning into monthly $25 dining credits? Just wondering if I'm overlooking something that might make it worthwhile to not cancel (other than a retention fee of course).

I’d decided that we would be canceling ours when the AF hits this year. The dining credit is just more nails into that coffin.

I figured this is the place to ask I usually use my CSR for Disney cruises I have a few this year I was curious at what point is it better to use the Disney card for the trip? we almost always get a massage but is the 30$ or whatever it is worth it for the point difference? Also looking forward to sipping on a bourbon while getting a haircut 😃

I value UR points over Disney points. We will use a CSR for taxes on the cruise but generally pay the whole thing with Disney GCs purchased at 5x. The Wish MV was paid for with Disney GCs and all of our charges onboard will be paid for with Disney GCs. I’m looking forward to exploring the new ship, Pirate night and some adult libations.

Ughhh I paid $72 to transfer 120,000 MRs to Hawaiian Airlines so I could book direct flights to Hawaii. Just did that on Tuesday. Today I get an email they are no longer servicing that route and my flight is canceled. I booked this whole trip around that flight. Now I have no flight and I wasted all those points! That's what I get for thinking I could celebrate my 40th birthday with a nice trip.

That stinks. Don’t give up though. Does HA have any partners that fly the route you need? You can position yourself to another airport that has a route you can fly HA with your points. Yes it’s more of a hassle but better than losing the points for a special trip. Find a route where you can use your HA miles to Hawaii. Come in a day early and have a pre trip adventure.

A few years ago I had planned to use my BA miles to fly to London out of Miami. Award availability in first or business was non existent when it came time for me to book and award flights were released. I found a route with award space from New York and booked NY to London with my BA miles. We flew in the evening before our fight, spent the day sightseeing and having fun in New York and flew out to London in the evening. In the end it turned out to be one of my better travel snafu stories. Then again that was the same trip where my return flight was canceled and we wound up taking a 6.5 hour Uber from Scotland to London. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter