I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit Mix is 15% of the score. Some people see a very meaningful drop in their scores when their last installment loan is paid off, I saw a 30 point drop when I paid off one car before the new loan had reported. Rather than a car loan you can do what is called a Share Secure Loan with some credit unions, I've used Navy Federal in the past but there are others. You take out a loan guaranteed with your savings account, pay 90% of it back immediately and pay a few dollars a month for the next five years. That gives you an installment loan on your report and costs less than $50 total for the five years in interest. I would wait and see how much your score is affected and decide if it's worth it to you.

Thanks for posting this again. I believe you posted about it in the past and I could never find it again. We are in that position where we have no installment loans; we've paid off all mortgages and car loans. I really don't know if we took a credit hit, but our scores are between 780-800. We've never been turned down for credit, but are scores aren't as high as many report here. So I probably won't do anything at this point, but it's good to know it's an option.

I know this is OT but I can't really find a good answer so asking here... Have a trip coming up in June and want to place a grocery delivery for water and some other items... I've used PrimeNow in the past, looks like its been renamed to Prime Fresh as I can't view any of my past orders... I have Prime and Walmart+, any pros/cons to them now-a-days? I've used W+ at home here and its hit or miss... Can either deliver to bell services? Are there Disney fees now? Southwest messed with our flights there so instead of getting a park day we'll be arriving around 7 so I can just stand up front and wait for them I suppose.

We have the free Instacart membership through some of the Chase cards. So we've used Target or Aldi or Publix through Instacart and have had it delivered to bell services. I believe there is a $6 charge from Disney (which I think reports are hit or miss if they charge it). But it's easy peasy not to have to worry about being there to receive a delivery and they'll refrigerate. It's nice to have fresh fruit, make toast, etc.

We have the free Instacart membership through some of the Chase cards. So we've used Target or Aldi or Publix through Instacart and have had it delivered to bell services. I believe there is a $6 charge from Disney (which I think reports are hit or miss if they charge it). But it's easy peasy not to have to worry about being there to receive a delivery and they'll refrigerate. It's nice to have fresh fruit, make toast, etc.
speaking free instacart membership via DoC be sure to cancel the free Chase one it expires in a day or so....

My dad just called. Hyatt said they had to "activate" his acct. They did that and it still didn't work because the name on his Chase acct is his full first name and the name on his Hyatt acct is the shortened version of his name (first 3 letters). So they gave him this big long explanation about submitting a bunch of paperwork to consumer affairs to get his name changed in his Hyatt acct. He hung up called back and they said, just open a new acct with a different email. So he did that, went back to Chase, and now it is saying the transfer is "temporarily unavailable." So he's giving up for tonight and will try again in the morning. I feel bad because something crazy like this has happened all 3 times we have tried to use his points. Hopefully, it will work out.
Funny you should say that about feeling bad. I convinced my sister to do some points stuff (not Hyatt) and she had every problem in the book. I did the exact same transactions on my accounts and it took minutes, whereas it was hours and calls for her, no fault of her own. I think sometimes that can just be how it goes, but it's kinda junky when you are trying to help someone into the hobby.

I do think that identical names is a known issue for a lot of transfers, so that might be something to try to keep in mind if you create any loyalty accounts for him in the future.

I don't have any experience with Plastiq - but I am thinking I might be able to use Gift of College giftcards via a 529 to pay my DD tuition. I can get the $500 cards for $5.95 at local gas stations - and can usually buy those with a card offering 5x pts, or worst case 4x pts. Am also paying off DS student loans with them.

I'm sure this plan has some risks I haven't thought of - but it seems good to me ATM.
Thanks for the idea. I wish I had stores around me that sold the $500 GoC gc - Toys R Us used to but they went out of business. No grocery or gas station sells them where I live. But I've done what you're suggesting, applying those GoC gc to the 529 in the past, but stopped once I couldn't buy them anymore (while they're available online, it's not worth the fee to me). At the beginning of 2022 my state put a 10K cap on 529 contributions, so I will max that out, but it's less than what tuition will be.

Plastiq charges a 2.85% fee to mail a check, so I'll have to do the math to see if it's worth it to reach a SUB or FNC or something like that. I'm continuing to MS but run into limits and the extent of my patience running to WM (no FD or DG near me) since they've gotten more suspicious (I have certain cashiers I try to avoid). Prepaids are a no-go on Plastiq, and PPK died too.

I looked into Enzo, but it looks like that's not going to be worth it. I read about Bilt providing a routing and acct number for ACH pulls but apparently it blocks any payment that's not for rent.

Dd's Surpass card arrived, paid property tax installment for May and MSR has been met! FNC and 130k HH points coming her way (which will be quickly transferred to my account)! Yay! More HH points are always welcome!

To put into churning perspective, the points & FNC just from this card could get me 2 nights at the WA Maldives, which is around $1,800.00 / night or the Conrad Maldives which is around $800-$1,000 / night. This SUB offered tremendous value and if I wasn't at 4/24 until December I would've jumped on it. Hopefully they run it again next year!

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea. I wish I had stores around me that sold the $500 GoC gc - Toys R Us used to but they went out of business. No grocery or gas station sells them where I live. But I've done what you're suggesting, applying those GoC gc to the 529 in the past, but stopped once I couldn't buy them anymore (while they're available online, it's not worth the fee to me). At the beginning of 2022 my state put a 10K cap on 529 contributions, so I will max that out, but it's less than what tuition will be.
You're CO springs area, am I remembering right? I've just barely started looking at 529s, though I saw they will match $1k per year the first 5 years, and give $100 for opening the account

Funny you should say that about feeling bad. I convinced my sister to do some points stuff (not Hyatt) and she had every problem in the book. I did the exact same transactions on my accounts and it took minutes, whereas it was hours and calls for her, no fault of her own. I think sometimes that can just be how it goes, but it's kinda junky when you are trying to help someone into the hobby.

I do think that identical names is a known issue for a lot of transfers, so that might be something to try to keep in mind if you create any loyalty accounts for him in the future.
I will definitely keep the name issue in mind. Believe it or not, he had more trouble today. Got his points transferred and then had more trouble when my BIL tried to help him. A couple more phone calls and he was finally able to get the rooms booked. So the process probably took 2-3 hrs to book 2 rooms. Again, I feel bad but he's pretty laid back and took in stride. Hopefully now it will be smooth sailing.

Just wanted to confirm if DH and I each have a Schwab Platinum card, can we cash out to a joint Schwab checking/brokerage account, or do we have to have separate checking accounts also?

Yes, I did add myself to DH's CSR for 2 reasons - need a card in my name for the primary rental car insurance, and the priority pass lounge access (we frequently travel separately). It is a $75 annual charge but since his card was over 2 years old it did not add to my x/24 count.
This is very interesting. So if I have an older credit card, and I add an AU now, what shows up on their credit report? And is it the same for all credit cards?

Yes, I did add myself to DH's CSR for 2 reasons - need a card in my name for the primary rental car insurance, and the priority pass lounge access (we frequently travel separately). It is a $75 annual charge but since his card was over 2 years old it did not add to my x/24 count.
A related question would be this, can I get under x/24 if I were removed as an AU on spouse's recent card?

This is very interesting. So if I have an older credit card, and I add an AU now, what shows up on their credit report? And is it the same for all credit cards?

A related question would be this, can I get under x/24 if I were removed as an AU on spouse's recent card?
I am not an expert on this. I read on this thread that it would be dated back to the original opening date on my credit history. I did not check, but I was able to get a Chase business card a month later and the CSR AU would have put me at 5/24 if it had counted. I think I have read that if someone is removed you have to contact the credit bureau about it?

First, don't have DH add you as an AU, it will add to your 5/24 and count as a new card. Plus CSR charges for AU. If you need a card, you (he) can log in to his account and find the area to replace card. It will ask you if card is lost or damaged. If you choose Damaged, they will send a new card with the same number. Voila, a card for you to use. (If you choose Lost they will cancel his current account number and issue a new account number, you don't want that.)
Does this also work for other cards, like Amex Platinum or USBank Altitude Reserve?

I've mentioned how much we liked the Shaka app for guiding us in Hawaii. Looks like, according to this blogger, it's available for Utah parks as well and the bundles are 50% off right now.
Thank you for posting. I just bought the Utah series for our summer trip for $15. It sounds perfect for our family. I'm the one that does tons of research and figures out where to go but then the rest of them want me to tell them all about where we are so I've found that audio tours keep everyone engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter