I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, @hsmamato2 - credit score - having an installment loan such as a car payment or a house payment is sometimes a boon to keeping your credit score 'up there' if you are able to make all payments and make them on time.

Same goes for having credit cards or credit card debt to a degree - make your payments on time and it will help keep your score up there. However, utilizing ALL your credit on a credit card and then making minimum payments is not a good thing.

When my ex and I were first married we bought a small home at age 22, using a VA mortgage. After about 5 minutes in the house we needed a fridge. Off to Sears we went and were denied credit for a $600 fridge! We were shocked as we had just qualified to buy a house. Next day I went to the local bank, sat down for a bit with a loan officer and got a signature loan for the money. Bought a fridge else where and I still remember the details and payments through the bank - $50 a month for 13 months.

This helped our credit as it was an installment loan.

And Sears started sending us credit card apps. Have I mentioned that I tend to hold grudges against companies sometimes? Never bothered Sears again with my needs.....silly, I know....

So I just tried applying for a CIU and got the need more time. When I called the number, it says no applications on file….
I think that's pretty common, both the "need more time" and the system not finding an application. Do check your emails because it seems lately people have been getting the "need more time" message and then within minutes get an approval email.

I think that's pretty common, both the "need more time" and the system not finding an application. Do check your emails because it seems lately people have been getting the "need more time" message and then within minutes get an approval email.
I’ve been watching for an email. Will a business card show up in my personal chase account? I’ve been looking there too lol

I’ve been watching for an email. Will a business card show up in my personal chase account? I’ve been looking there too lol
No a business card will not show up in your personal chase log in
Somewhere on Reddit people have listed a different business card number to call…

And, @hsmamato2 - credit score - having an installment loan such as a car payment or a house payment is sometimes a boon to keeping your credit score 'up there' if you are able to make all payments and make them on time.

Same goes for having credit cards or credit card debt to a degree - make your payments on time and it will help keep your score up there. However, utilizing ALL your credit on a credit card and then making minimum payments is not a good thing.

When my ex and I were first married we bought a small home at age 22, using a VA mortgage. After about 5 minutes in the house we needed a fridge. Off to Sears we went and were denied credit for a $600 fridge! We were shocked as we had just qualified to buy a house. Next day I went to the local bank, sat down for a bit with a loan officer and got a signature loan for the money. Bought a fridge else where and I still remember the details and payments through the bank - $50 a month for 13 months.

And Sears started sending us credit card apps. Have I mentioned that I tend to hold grudges against companies sometimes? Never bothered Sears again with my needs.....silly, I know....
Years and years ago, DH and I bought something at Sears (I can’t remember now what it was - I’m sure an appliance or maybe a lawn mower or something like that). We got approved for a Sears account....with a $100 limit 🙄. And we were both lawyers at the time and making not an insubstantial amount of money!

i think it was you who wrote the report? ha who was it why am i drawing a blank im on this thread every few days

Nope, not me. Never seriously looked into ANA since I didn't think I could get 4 in biz or first. Though I guess according to the podcast, 2 in biz and 2 in first would be possible.

I've done 4 in biz for JAL 3 times now (2 canceled 😩). Have done it with BA Avios and AA. BA costs more and has a redeposit fee for cancellations, but releases earlier. ANA is the best deal though, hope it works out for you!

Years and years ago, DH and I bought something at Sears (I can’t remember now what it was - I’m sure an appliance or maybe a lawn mower or something like that). We got approved for a Sears account....with a $100 limit 🙄. And we were both lawyers at the time and making not an insubstantial amount of money!

Lol, my first card was Sears, don't remember the limit, haven't had it for years. However, the next card I got was a now Macy's card, was May Company I believe? Anyway, had a $500 limit, it's still my oldest card, have had it around 30 years. A few years ago they bumped my limit down to $250 even though I have a combined 60K+ limit on Chase & Amex. Cracks me up and I rarely use the card but keep it open because of the credit history.

Lol, my first card was Sears, don't remember the limit, haven't had it for years. However, the next card I got was a now Macy's card, was May Company I believe? Anyway, had a $500 limit, it's still my oldest card, have had it around 30 years. A few years ago they bumped my limit down to $250 even though I have a combined 60K+ limit on Chase & Amex. Cracks me up and I rarely use the card but keep it open because of the credit history.
My first was Pier One Imports, I got it so I could buy a double pappasan chair, which I never sat on LOL. I think my limit was $300

My mother in law called or wrote a credit card company back in the day threatening discrimination. In laws were newly married and hadn't had any credit cards and both applied. Father in law was approved with a decent limit while being unemployed. Mother in law who was making all the money at the time was denied.... after her call/letter she got approved.

My mother in law called or wrote a credit card company back in the day threatening discrimination. In laws were newly married and hadn't had any credit cards and both applied. Father in law was approved with a decent limit while being unemployed. Mother in law who was making all the money at the time was denied.... after her call/letter she got approved.
That stuff still happens today. Total BS. Our oldest cc is from 1988 before we married. DH had no credit history, no cc, so I applied and added him as AU. My mom was furious, what if we broke up he would ruin my credit. He's still here 34 years later so I guess it's ok.

That stuff still happens today. Total BS. Our oldest cc is from 1988 before we married. DH had no credit history, no cc, so I applied and added him as AU. My mom was furious, what if we broke up he would ruin my credit. He's still here 34 years later so I guess it's ok.
Definitely. Zack always gets way bigger credit lines than me. Now our credit files are pretty similar, scores, etc. But starting this hobby our only difference was he opened his discover card less than 6mths before me... easily double the credit lines. Even when I was putting more income sometimes before we got married 🙄

Macy's has closed and reopened my card three times. I use it very rarely and it's now closed. I bought something there last summer and I used my standard line, 'I used to have an account. Don't know where the card is as I haven't used it in years.' They then look me up. The time last year I was given 25% off probably because I looked so pathetic trying to shop for an outfit and the person felt bad for me. I declined reopening the account, which they will do each time.

Definitely. Zack always gets way bigger credit lines than me. Now our credit files are pretty similar, scores, etc. But starting this hobby our only difference was he opened his discover card less than 6mths before me... easily double the credit lines. Even when I was putting more income sometimes before we got married 🙄
Not always-even when DH made 4X what I did, with very few CCS but a good history (820s), Amex for whatever reason would limit his CLs about 20% of mine. So in some cases there must be an X factor (or they think I'm male :laughing: ).

IDK about loans..... we had paid off our car about 7 years ago- paid off mortgage last fall.... I looked today,my score has dropped 4 points (I'm also spending a lot less than previous too) IMHO nothing to worry over.(still well over 800)

Well, that's good to know. A 4 point drop isn't an issue at all, IMHO. I thought it would be much larger than that.

I've never gotten in a wreck where my car was totaled except once, i pay off stuff in cash too i don't think it hurts you once you are above 800 3-4 points doesn't really change your tier 1 credit IMO. I personally am trying to get rid of my mortgage also i want to free up cash flow for more investment/saving/retirement and points for trips ofc.

Yeah, if it's only 4 points I don't really care at all. We could easily pay it off at this point, but didn't want to take a big hit in the credit score and also we figure it's not bad for cash flow purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter