• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just have to share ...

Wow - that looks great. We just redid our basement bathroom this weekend with the Mickey cartoon strip border and the glicee that DVC sent us.

Kathy

Love the art, Doc!
I think my wife and I may be catching the Disney art bug.. We just purchased the limited edition (999 of them) Haunted Mansion giclee at The Art of Disney. :smokin:

MG

Love the art, Doc!
I think my wife and I may be catching the Disney art bug.. We just purchased the limited edition (999 of them) Haunted Mansion giclee at The Art of Disney. :smokin:

MG

I saw that one two weeks ago. My son and I both were go back on forth on wether to buy it. We are going to be back in 44 days, so we may pick it up then!

I saw that one two weeks ago. My son and I both were go back on forth on wether to buy it. We are going to be back in 44 days, so we may pick it up then!
I wouldn't wait too long. A couple hundred were sold already. They let you pick your number, and the more meaningful numbers are going fast. My wife and I did a lot of research, and we picked 983 (month/year of Yale Gracey's death). :scared1:

MG

Love the art, Doc!

MG

OK, I've read more, but I thought you cornered the market on the prints and bought 999 of them.:rotfl:

OK, I've read more, but I thought you cornered the market on the prints and bought 999 of them.:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
No, but we did try for print #999, but it was taken.
The numbers that I *THINK* are gone:
All the single digits
125 (Walt's birthday)
983 - MINE! (Gracey's death date)

MG

Doc, Just beautiful! We have attended those Art Auctions... dangerous for us. Ours didn't come to us framed. I have a Tink room in my office. I still remember watching Peter Pan for the very first time...

We started collecting cels back in 1979 and have obtained them from a number of sources including at WDW, eBay and a number of animation art galleries. It has really been fun finding the cels ... but we're running out of places to hang them!

We have at least one from each of the classic animations and some production drawings (the pencil artwork traced to make the cels) from several features and also some of the early Mickey cartoons - even one from Plane Crazy. A few years ago our local Art Museum did an exhibit from our collection. It was great fun sharing those pieces.

I'll see if I can post a few more of our favorites.

It's great to see how many other DVC members also display their enjoyment of Disney in their private lives. In Indianapolis, there is a collector named Steve Ison who has THE definitive collection of Snow White artwork - better than what is found in the Disney archives. He had an exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 1995 and Disney even participated by providing video equipment to show where each piece of art was featued in the movie. Several of the original animators also came to the opening and spoke of their involvement in making the film. Steve even got to meet Adriana Caselloti, the "voice" of Snow White and greeted her with a small basket containing an apple! He needed space in his home to display his sizeable collection and ended up building a replica of the Dwarf's cottage in his back yard - complete with security system and environmental controls - to house his artwork. His collection is displayed in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - An Art in it's Making" released by Hyperion in 1994/1995 - Well worth trying to find. I got to meet Steve at a book signing held at "The Art of Disney" back in 1995.

Doc, I love the art work. Especially the one hanging over your bed.

We have a Disney house, too with sericels, plates, snow globes, etc. For my birthday this year, DH bought me the new ink and paint one, "A Pirates Life for Me". :love:

Doc, you're my hero...I can only dream of buying production cels! Love the pics!

I will admit to being addicted and purchasing many of the WDW Animation Gallery hand painted cels over the last several years. They need to quit sending those cute postcards announcing the newest ones for sale. It gets me every time.

I will admit to being addicted and purchasing many of the WDW Animation Gallery hand painted cels over the last several years. They need to quit sending those cute postcards announcing the newest ones for sale. It gets me every time.

Count us in on the hand painted cels too. (Did you get the new one in the mail today with Ariel on it?) We have a few of them hung but are planning to turn one of our upstair rooms in to a Disney room and hang most of our cels there. DH is working on custom framing them himself.

Great art Doc!! Thanks for sharing. It looks wonderful. What a great headboard for your bed. Is it custom made?

Doc, I really like the lighting and built-ins in you all's bedroom. The artwork looks perfect there! I saw the Mickey cup in the bathroom, felt like I was on a hidden Mickey hunt. :goodvibes Thanks for sharing!

LOL! Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, the headboard and cabinetry in the BR were all made for the room when we renovated. We've lived in the house for 30 years now and overhauled the interior about 10 years ago.

There are a TON of hidden Mickeys all over the place. There are quite a few in the photos, but not really obvious without more closeup detail. Most are pretty subtle - some are blatant! :)

Here are a few more of our production cels from all over the house.

This is wall space in our family room, next to the computer desk. The bottom row is the Mad Hatter (Alice in Wonderland) and also Jaq from Cinderella.
9488familywall.jpg

Our only cel from Snow White - it has a courvousier background production.
9488Doc.jpg

The cel is an obscure underwater scene from Pinocchio, but it is signed by Walt. Next to it is a cel of the Fairy Godmother.
9488Waltsig.jpg

Two cels from Peter Pan - one of Peter and Wendy - when they arrive at Neverland and one of Capt. Hook - signed by animator Frank Thomas.
9488Pan.jpg

Cels of Maleficent and the three fairies/Briar Rose from Sleeping Beauty and one of Mowgli.
9488MalMowgli.jpg

A cel from a little known Christmas story animation- 1978's The Small One and Benny the cab from Roger Rabbit.
9488Smallone.jpg

Dumbo and Timothy sleeping in the tree while the crow looks on.
9488dumbo.jpg

Various Disney dogs - Lady, Tramp, Nana, Lucky and other dalmation pups.
9488P10100051.JPG

Our front entry.
9488Entry.jpg

Entry cels ... the "Disneyland" dissolve with Tinkerbell from the original TV series.
9488tink.jpg

Jiminy Cricket from TV - signed by both Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - two of Walt's "Nine Old Men" original animators.
9488cricket.jpg

Pinocchio and Figaro with a Courvoisier presentation.
9488pinocchio.jpg

Bambi and Thumper - another Courvoisier presentation.
9488bambi.jpg

Jiminy Cricket- with Courvoisier presentation (1940)
9488jiminy.jpg

Bernard, The Colonel and Copper.
9488Stairwall.jpg

This map is from my first trip to Disneyland in 1958. It hung on my wall for years as a kid and still does!
94881958map.jpg

Our favorite cel - a Courvoisier presentation from Fantasia.
9488sorcmick1.jpg

It's really fun finding the frame in each movie where each cel was used. Each one represents 1/24th of a second of animation. Disney used 24 frames per second to provide a more life-like animation. Cels were handpainted thru The Little Mermaid (we have one of Ariel and Triton). All Disney animations since then have been computer colored - thus no cels exist of subsequent features- although there are some from TV productions.

Holy smokes... That's truly quite a collection. I called my wife over to take a look, and she was impressed as well.
Doc, I have no idea what your collection is worth, but I hope you have it insured! :smokin:

MG

Awesome! I especially love "Propinquity" , I wish I could do the same with my bedroom.
Thanks for the pictures, they are just what I needed today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter