• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just don't get it?? MYW dining and children

Yeah, this is great. I just walked through a scenario with a TA where the difference at the Yacht Club during Mousfest 2005 (December 1-4, 2005) for three adults came to exactly $35 (and I mean to the penny) per adult per day, versus not booking the plan. And we got far enough into the process to where the actual amount would have been billed to my CC. So, at least in some circumstances on the Internet, I think the rate is anywhere from $34.72 to $35 per adult per night.

I'd still like to know the situations in which tax may apply. My guess here is that it has something to do with sales tax in certain states, or sales tax on web purchases. Just a hunch.

Finally, the Disney TA site doesn't say anything one way or the other about the taxes, as far as I can tell. The PDF brochures don't even mention the $35.

Len

We booked the WL for 7 nights with a TA and it come out to 35/adult and 10/ kid exactly. On the other hand when I was checking out prices on the web site It never came out exactly right. Also early on (Jan/Feb) when checking ticket prices and hotel room only rates the amount for the packages seemed to vary a bit at different times. Now the pricing on the room and tickets seem to come up consistently but the meal plan does not.

Having said that it has never come up over $35 for an adult or $10 per kid. Also the rates on the web site when doing packages seems to include taxes as well so my guess is that the dinning plan price includes taxes and the variation in pricing on the web site is a problem with the way the web site works. For example I just priced out a one night stay at All Stars for one person and the meal plan added $35 to the cost. I changed it to 7 days and the per day cost of the meal plan became $34.98.

I have not heard of anyone that has actually booked the package with the dinning plan being charged more than $35 per adult and $10 per child or had any additional sales tax added to the cost. It appears that at most it comes up a bit less on the web site at times. Given the problems I had with the site in January and February on pricing out just room and ticket packages and just general problems with the site reported in the forums I would not be surprised if the issue was simply a technical problem with the web site. It would appear that most people would be safe using the $35 / adult and $10 / child rates to evaluate if the plan works for them or not.

Your site IS right though about the plan being "credits" that do not differentiate btwn adult and child? Have to make sure bc this thread has different answers. YES or NO are the following statements true:

1. If you elect to use a credit for your 9 year old at a counterservice you DON't have to order him the kiddie food. You only have to use the kid's menu when you use a credit at sit down restaurants.

2. At sit down meals, you can pay for the kiddo seperate and use his credit elswhere for an adult.

This is how we understand the plan, but some people have returned from WDW insisting there are "child" and "adult" credits. I am CONFUSED!

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Cleo, I'am with ya,lol! IF you have say 5 adult counterservice credits and 3 kid counter service credits. How can you order all 8 meals as Adult counter service meals??? It just doesn't seem like it would work out.....

Lewisc said:
I Emailed Mary who said her information is correct. I then went on the Disney website and got a price on a vacation package at the Allstars with and without dining. Dining increased the price by almost $40/adult/day. The resort tax was applied to the meal plan.

I'm not sure if Disney is making a mistake or if the resort tax on the meal plan is buried somewhere else on your bill.

I'm in the process of testing this and have a TA checking on this as well. When the new MYW packages were first rolled out, Disney was definitely charging the full resort tax (11.5% at most resorts, 13% at All Stars) on the dining plan.

I always thought it was crazy for Disney to charge resort tax on dining, but frankly that's pretty typical of the screwy math one often finds on Walt Disney Travel Company packages. The numbers on their packages never seem to add up exactly right, and it's often due to some strange tax calculation or odd application of certain discounts, etc. (These always seem to benefit Disney, by the way.) For instance, I recall one discounted package where tax was charged based on the UNDISCOUNTED price of certain components!

I call it "Mickey Mouse math"...

Anyway, it's possible WDTC has corrected the taxes in this case, or it's possible the taxes are still being added in some cases (possibly certain hotels or package types) and not in others. With WDTC, anything is possible.

Pricing is not in the control of TA's, by the way -- they just get an invoice from Disney, which is responsible for the calculations.

I'll update my site once I have a better idea what's going on with the taxes on the dining packages.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Re: Dining pricing for the packages- I booked the MYW package with resort, tix, and Dining. I took the total cost and subtracted resort cost, ticket cost and came up with the $35/$10 per day- no tax added. The only hitch in my calculations is that there is a $10.42 difference that I can't account for. The components as I add them up come to $1816.39, but the quote from my TA (which is the same as when I get a quote directly from the Disney website) is $1826.81. This amount couldn't be tax, it doesn't add up to enough. So, as far as tax goes, I am not being charged for the Dining portion of the package. Lodging- 11.5%, tickets- 6.5%, dining- 0, Mickey Mouse math-$10.42!

MomofKatie said:
Mickey Mouse math-$10.42!

That $10.42 would bug the hell out of me. Even if it was a minus. It's the not-knowing where they got it!!!???? I've lost count of the variations in quotes I got from Disneyworld.com over the last 3 months. The latest being for my DH and 2 sons' theme park tickets - total came to 733 - that was at the final stage where you input your CC number - I very nearly hit 'purchase' and then I thought no, I'll ask my TA at Small World Vacations cause she's so experienced at booking tickets and she's all-round wonderful anyway. So I told her to go ahead and order them and, lo and behold, she emailed me saying it had cost 699 (and double-checked it). So I guess Disney were just gonna take the 34 dollars to go and buy ice-cream??? LOL

I'm kinda in a state of semi-shock that a company as HUGE as Disney gets away with making variations in pricing like that. Can you imagine having to audit Disney's books at the end of the year? Aaaarrrgh! lol :crazy: As for the Disney UK site - oh my god, it's appalling - it seems totally arbitrary. Strange happenings!

Yeah, it bugs me, too! Isn't there some kind of hospitality fee at the resort? Or maybe it is the cost of the "free" luggage tags you get with the package. :confused3 I don't know- but the Disney quote has been consistant each time I try- it is always the same amount, down to the penny.

You never know- I might not be multiplying my tax right or something. It's hard to remember the rates for the different components. Pop is 11.5%, right? and the tix are 6.5%? If that is the case, I did the math right. Oh, well- we'll have to just not buy some souvenier to make up for it!

The other day I priced out a package on Expedia & they added $5.00 pp for the Magical Express!

Just wanted to follow up and say that after extensive testing, I am finding the dining plan charge is consistently $35 adult, $10 child (well, within a few cents either way, due to the usual "Mickey Mouse math") and no tax.

That's good news! I've updated my site to reflect this.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

CLEO Z said:
Your site IS right though about the plan being "credits" that do not differentiate btwn adult and child? Have to make sure bc this thread has different answers. YES or NO are the following statements true:

1. If you elect to use a credit for your 9 year old at a counterservice you DON't have to order him the kiddie food. You only have to use the kid's menu when you use a credit at sit down restaurants.

2. At sit down meals, you can pay for the kiddo seperate and use his credit elswhere for an adult.

This is how we understand the plan, but some people have returned from WDW insisting there are "child" and "adult" credits. I am CONFUSED!

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Cleo,

I just got back from Pop Century yesterday and had the Dining Plan for 2 adults and 2 kids.

When you get your cards from the hotel, you have credits, depending on the # of nights and # of people. In our case, we had 24 sit down credits, 24 counter service credits and 24 snack credits.

There is no distinction between child and adult, they are just credits.

When you use the plan, the cashier/server will only ask how many meals are on the plan ie 1, 2, 3, or 4 and that # of credits will be removed.

Question #1 - all you have to do is order from the menu, get what you want for your 9 yr old, either from the adult or kids menu, and the cashier will take off the # of credits.

You can choose an appetizer from the main menu since many of the kids menus do not have appetizers, and then order from the main menu for you and from the kids menu for the 9 yr old.

Question # 2 - Yes you can pay for the kids portion separately and use those credits somewhere else. My wife and I did this at Coral Reef, paying for the kids meals with cash, and using their credits for our meals (2 credit signature rest.)

Hope this helps

Mark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter