• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just don't get it?? MYW dining and children

We booked the MYW + Dining through DU and were charged $900 for 4Adults(DH, Me, DD14, DS11) and 1Child (DS8) for 6 nights, no tax added to the dining portion. For us I think the dining is a very good deal.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo princess: :earsboy: :earsboy:

WDWBetsy said:
(I could go eat all of the meals while my DH was taking a nap if I really wanted to -
:rotfl:

I don't know why but this just cracked me up. Maybe I'll try that! Thanks for the laugh.

teribell said:

I don't know why but this just cracked me up. Maybe I'll try that! Thanks for the laugh.

:3dglasses I have a vivid imagination. :3dglasses

Don't have any kids yet, but I can just imagine me having older teenagers who go off on their own and use up a bunch of meals/snacks without telling me. Technically this could happen, especially since everyone in our party with a key card has access to the pooled meals. All my planned PSs would be ruined! ha.

When I booked the dining plan, I was told the $35/adult, $10/child includes tax and tip.
My dd11 is so excited to be able to order off the adult menu this trip--I know it wil become an issue with ds7, who is limited to the children's menu.
I'm looking forward to all the dining subterfuge. Just when I thought I had Disney figured out... HA! :confused3

Wow! I'd consider that resort tax information a *significant* factor and very probably put a lot of people off buying the dining plan. We decided against the plan and are now using an AP so it's no longer relevant (though I would dearly *love* to eat all I want without worrying about costs adding up). *But* I did seriously consider it for a few weeks and I recall reading the Touring Plan website and thinking, hmmmm, the tax adds too much so that more or less made up my mind once and for all. If the info *was* true (which clearly it isn't because enough people here have stated that they got the flat rate of 35/10) it would have cost us 13.24 in taxes per day x 12 days = 159 dollars. That's a very significant amount when budgeting for a holiday. Enough to put me and plenty others off the idea. I'm going to send them an email about this.

Sorry for causing worry for you good people. I truly thought that info was correct. Happy eating!!!

gigi1313 said:
as far as dining options... it does stipulate that child must order children's menu when available, but there is nothing to stop me/kids from sitting at a table watching the parade while dh goes to the counter and orders two adult meals, switching places with me and me ordering two adult meals ten minutes later... or better yet, ordering one adult meal (and extra bun!) for the kids to split, thereby saving one counter credit to be used at a later date... is there?

The Brochure states that Dining plan participants under 10 must order from the kids' menu where available AT TABLE SERVICE RESTAURANTS. There is no rule for counter svc places. It would be too hard to enforce, what with Mom or Dad ordering for the whole party- how would the CMs know who they are ordering which meals for? So, anyone can order any meal they want.

As far as sharing meals, you ARE able to do that, sure! We plan on splitting a few CS meals, and having a CS b'fast with some extra credits.

DisneyDotty said:
When I booked the dining plan, I was told the $35/adult, $10/child includes tax and tip.
My dd11 is so excited to be able to order off the adult menu this trip--I know it wil become an issue with ds7, who is limited to the children's menu.
I'm looking forward to all the dining subterfuge. Just when I thought I had Disney figured out... HA! :confused3

not sure your dd 11 is going to be happy... it was explained to me that although the dining package is for 10 and up, the restaurants treat 11 and under as kids, and therefore while paying adult price, the 10/11s are expected to order kids' meals...

Hmm. We're paying for dining packages for both kids--ages 7 and 11. The 7yo's package is $10/day, which is why he must order off the kids' menu. The 11 yo's is $35, which is what my dh and I are paying, too. I'm going by the assumption that she pays as an adult and therefore orders as an adult. Anyone have any more info on this? No way are we spending $35/day for kids' meals! :confused3

I spoke to a CM the other day as I had the same question and was told that the dining plan is special (she contacted guest services) and that children 10 and older can order off the adult menu regardless the restuarants age limits -only children 9-3 have to order off the children's menu as per the plan's description.

As has been stated over and over, your 10 and 11 year olds are paying the ADULT price for the Dining plan. They order from the ADULT menus unless they really, really want something from the kids' menu. In other words, 10 AND UP CAN ORDER WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!

If it has been explained to you in any other way, it was explained wrong!! Put it this way- WHY would Disney alienate lots of families by making them pay adult prices for their 10-11 year olds and then not let them take advantage of adult menus? Just doesn't make sense!

Come on, Disney wants to make money, but they aren't going to shaft anyone to do it!

OK, here's my question. I've heard a number of you say that if you pay for your child's sit down meal instead of using credits, you could use those saved credits for additional adult sit downs. That sounds great.

For me, I'm taking my DW, DS (age 7) and DD (age 4). But, my two parents are now joining us and have gotten the exact same package as we did.

I've recently decided to change my PS from Biergarten to Le Cellier because my father does not like German food. If I save some of my kids' sit down credits, can I use my credits to buy my parents a sit down meal? Don't know if I can make this work for all of us or not?

Thanks for any advice...

dpinchot said:
OK, here's my question. I've heard a number of you say that if you pay for your child's sit down meal instead of using credits, you could use those saved credits for additional adult sit downs. That sounds great.

For me, I'm taking my DW, DS (age 7) and DD (age 4). But, my two parents are now joining us and have gotten the exact same package as we did.

I've recently decided to change my PS from Biergarten to Le Cellier because my father does not like German food. If I save some of my kids' sit down credits, can I use my credits to buy my parents a sit down meal? Don't know if I can make this work for all of us or not?

Thanks for any advice...

From what I have read, yes you can do that. DH, and I are planning to do that at Narcoosees. DDs will be going to the Neverland Club, and their dinner is covered with that fee. We are using their sit-down credits for our sig. dinner.

Makes it very affordable. From what I've read it's a loophole that Disney hasn't thought of, or doesn't care about. I find it hard to believe that they don't know that is what people are doing. Some have posted that they think it will change, but I hope to use that trick for our trip next month. :p

lilyprincess said:
I just made a ps for Hollywood and Vine for May and the cm also said that Fantasmic package was not available through the dining plan. Do you think it was just your waitress that allowed you to use the dining credits? I'm just wondering if I should call back and change my Ps to include the Fantasmic package and just chance it( as far as being able to use the credits). I really don't want to pay out of pocket because then I'm left with extra table service meals as this is one of our last days. Please help me to decide!
I originally was booked for Fantasmic using the regular credit card guarantee, when I switched over to the MYW Dining Plan the Operator indicated that they wouldn't accept the plan. I called back twice hoping they would-no go. When we ate at Fantasmic, the CM suggested to use the plan instead of the credit card. Not sure if we lucked out or not. Good luck.

DisOrBust said:
Thanks Keisha!!
You stated it showed how many Adult counter service and kid counter service credits you had left right? So.. how could he order a regular counter service..did it get taken away then from the adult counter service pool???

TIA!Sue
Each time we ordered counter serve, we were deducted 2 Adult & 1 Child, even though we ordered 3 adult meals. As stated earlier, we had to abide during sit-down meals though.

Thanks to all the folks who sent us email on this. We'll go back and correct this page.

Len Testa

I just noticed that the mousesavers link posted earlier in this thread also shows the incorrect tax info. I already closed the browser window it was in and I'm too lazy to go email them about it right now though! :guilty:

jenr812 said:
I just noticed that the mousesavers link posted earlier in this thread also shows the incorrect tax info. I already closed the browser window it was in and I'm too lazy to go email them about it right now though! :guilty:

I Emailed Mary who said her information is correct. I then went on the Disney website and got a price on a vacation package at the Allstars with and without dining. Dining increased the price by almost $40/adult/day. The resort tax was applied to the meal plan.

I'm not sure if Disney is making a mistake or if the resort tax on the meal plan is buried somewhere else on your bill.

If you get a price for a hotel room on the web, tax isn't included. When a store advertises a price for a tv set local sales tax is never included. I think some TA's may just be quoted the basic price and others may be quoting the bottom line price including tax.

Forget what TA's, or even Disney, tells you in advance. What about people who've come back. Is the charge $35 or was the resort tax added to the charge.

LewisC, I did the exact same thing, and got a price at ASp of less than $35 per day for the plan ($34.72/adult/day), tax included. In fact, the cost never actually got to $35/day, no matter which resort I entered. What dates did you enter? Mine were June 1-8, 2005, two adults, base tickets, no children.

I spoke with a couple of TA friends who indicate quotes from Disney are coming back at $35/day, tax included, so I don't think we're yet at the bottom of the discussion around the actual cost. We're going to hold off asking Disney until we can compile more details. If anyone's got an actual bill from one of the resorts with the cost of the dining plan shown, please drop me a line: len@touringplans.com.

Len

lentesta said:
LewisC, I did the exact same thing, and got a price at ASp of less than $35 per day for the plan ($34.72/adult/day), tax included. In fact, the cost never actually got to $35/day, no matter which resort I entered. What dates did you enter? Mine were June 1-8, 2005, two adults, base tickets, no children.

I spoke with a couple of TA friends who indicate quotes from Disney are coming back at $35/day, tax included, so I don't think we're yet at the bottom of the discussion around the actual cost. We're going to hold off asking Disney until we can compile more details. If anyone's got an actual bill from one of the resorts with the cost of the dining plan shown, please drop me a line: len@touringplans.com.

Len

I did 2 adults, 7 nights. I think I picked a week in September. I also used base tickets.

Your dates do show $34.98. Doesn't make much sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter