• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just don't get it?? MYW dining and children

WDWBetsy said:
Lewisc is correct. I have read and re-read the brochure. The Disney dining brochure clearly states that:

Upon check-in, all meals from the package are combined into one central account for maximum flexibility. Any Guest in the party may use the meals from this central account at any time during their package stay until all meals are gone.

While the brochure also states children ages 3 to 9 must order from the children's menu where available, guests can pay out-of-pocket for their children's meals and then use those remaining meals toward adult meals - since they are in the central account. Previous posts show that DISers are in fact being able to do this. Search for the posts and you'll see.

Example: Prior to ordering, you just tell your server that you're on the dining plan and will be using 2 adult meals and paying separately for 2 children. It's not a case where you have to show each person's ID/key card. Just one. You will be presented with two receipts at the end of the meal, one for the dining plan (which also shows your remaining meal credits), and the other for the out-of-pocket children's meals (and any other items not included on the plan).

As for the counter service meals, one adult can go up to the counter and order for everyone - if a child wants an adult meal, there is no way that the CM would know to have them order from the children's menu.

Again - all meals are combined into one account and any guest may use the meals (I could go eat all of the meals while my DH was taking a nap if I really wanted to - or he could order a dinner on the plan and I could order an appetizer separately and save that meal toward a signature meal). Disney has clearly written this "loophole" into the brochure/plan and promoted it as "flexibility" - I personally don't think anyone is cheating the system when all meals are pooled by the plan's definition. It's no different than going out to eat with your niece & nephew who are in a different room (and not on the plan) and paying separately for them.

Yep...I talked to CRO Castmember extensively about this before ordering the MYW with dining. We did use some of our table seating for for HDD but they said everything is pooled so there is no way for the dining establishments to know what is a "kids" credit vs an "adult" credit...they are simply all "credits" for either a counter, table or snack. I personally think its a great deal.

I used the plan in February (2 Adults & 1 Child).

All "credits" are pooled and reflected on the card for each member of your party. For example we stayed 5 nights, so we had 10 Adult & 5 Child Counter-Serve and 10 Adult & 5 Child Sit Down credits and 15 snacks/drinks.

Only 1 person's card needed to be presented when ordering the meals. Each time you use a credit, you receive a receipt showing what's left on your package.

FYI, YES, my child could order anything he wanted off of the counter-serve menus. At no time did he order a Child's meal.

However, it was strictly enforced that he order off the Child's menu at the sit down locations. He could not "upcharge" to an Adult meal, either.

Lastly, we were able to use the credits for the Fantasmic Package. Although we were told this was impossible when we booked the package, the waitress graciously suggested it when we were paying our bill.

Thanks Keisha!!
You stated it showed how many Adult counter service and kid counter service credits you had left right? So.. how could he order a regular counter service..did it get taken away then from the adult counter service pool???

TIA!Sue

Lewisc said:
Deb--I agree if you're paying adult pricing and your 11 year old prefers to eat from the children's menu the plan doesn't make sense. Really no different than an adult that prefers to skip dessert or appetizers.

This is why we will never buy any dining plans anywhere...I have yet to find an appetizer besides chips or any dessert that we can eat on our special diets, so it ends up not being worth the price at all. Plus we drink only water (we don't have soda) so it would cost us far more to get the plan.

keishashadow said:
I used the plan in February (2 Adults & 1 Child).

All "credits" are pooled and reflected on the card for each member of your party. For example we stayed 5 nights, so we had 10 Adult & 5 Child Counter-Serve and 10 Adult & 5 Child Sit Down credits and 15 snacks/drinks.

Only 1 person's card needed to be presented when ordering the meals. Each time you use a credit, you receive a receipt showing what's left on your package.

FYI, YES, my child could order anything he wanted off of the counter-serve menus. At no time did he order a Child's meal.

However, it was strictly enforced that he order off the Child's menu at the sit down locations. He could not "upcharge" to an Adult meal, either.

Lastly, we were able to use the credits for the Fantasmic Package. Although we were told this was impossible when we booked the package, the waitress graciously suggested it when we were paying our bill.
I just made a ps for Hollywood and Vine for May and the cm also said that Fantasmic package was not available through the dining plan. Do you think it was just your waitress that allowed you to use the dining credits? I'm just wondering if I should call back and change my Ps to include the Fantasmic package and just chance it( as far as being able to use the credits). I really don't want to pay out of pocket because then I'm left with extra table service meals as this is one of our last days. Please help me to decide!

Children under age 3 eat free at buffets. You would pay for their meals otherwise, or WDW allows them to eat off the family's plates free of charge.

We booked 2 rooms (connecting) for 6 of us, 2 kids + 2 adults + 1 tween (adult priced) + 1 toddler. I (one of the adults) have an AP, so we could not do the Dining Plan. UNLESS (and this is the true question, lol) can I get the dining plan for ONE of our 2 rooms on the ressie? I already bought their tickets, but never considered THAT possibility. I don't mind at all, paying for my meals (and my toddler would eat with me). It would still help the others so much, if they could add the dining package to the other room (adult, 11, 6, 5). Does it have to be eveyrone on the reservation, or everyone in the room?

Beth

taximomfor4 said:
We booked 2 rooms (connecting) for 6 of us, 2 kids + 2 adults + 1 tween (adult priced) + 1 toddler. I (one of the adults) have an AP, so we could not do the Dining Plan. UNLESS (and this is the true question, lol) can I get the dining plan for ONE of our 2 rooms on the ressie? I already bought their tickets, but never considered THAT possibility. I don't mind at all, paying for my meals (and my toddler would eat with me). It would still help the others so much, if they could add the dining package to the other room (adult, 11, 6, 5). Does it have to be eveyrone on the reservation, or everyone in the room?

Beth

I believe you would have to split the reservation up. One room with MYW tickets + dining (no AP rate - just rack), and the other with your AP with no dining (not sure if you have the AP rate or not). If you've already bought their tickets, you could buy a one day MYW ticket for everyone in the room w/dining since the package w/tickets is required, but I don't know if that would be cost-efficient for you.

The way I am booked now, I have 2 rms for 3 nights at rack rate, followed by 2 rms for 3 nights at AP rate. I do already have the tickets. So I cannot add the Dining, I would have to buy tickets again? (at least 1-day ones?) So I'd keep oldest dd (11) and toddler with me, then buy 1-day tickets for DH, DD6, and DS5 so I can add dining to theirs for the first 3-day (rack rate) ressie? With the price of 1-day tickets, that would cost like $260 for 3 nights dining package, right? Averages out to about $87/day. Ouch. Take the 2nd room off the AP discount (adding another $135, and add dining to those nights also for $245, averaging out to about $85/day for the 3 of them?)

Argggh, never mind. Wish I would have realized it sooner, because then I wouldn't have bought their tickets in advance already! Without purchasing the extra day admissions for them all, it would be like $75/day instead, but with the meal splitting, that would be not so bad, lol. Oh well, next I'll research more carefully first. Sort of stinks that my AP is messing us up that bad!

Beth

Here is a great website that explains the plan:
http://www.touringplans.com/MYWDining.html
Its from the Unoffical Guide people so you can trust it. It also has interesting price comparisons, strategies, and even a "credits" worksheet. It also explains that YES THE CREDITS ARE POOLED and you can pay for the kiddos seperately. The disney brochure site is also helpful.

We are going in July. If Disney decides to correct the loop hole they better not do it retroactively. We got the plan with this kid option in mind - The adults are going to the California Grill!

taximomfor4,

You could consider buying the DDE membership instead. 20% off most sit-down restaurants and I see you're staying at ASMu - the food court there is one of the few counter service places covered.

I can't really follow the figures and the kids and the rooms and the ages etc. :rotfl: but I do think, when weighing it all up, the DDE might be a great deal because with one membership (costing AP holders 50 dollars) you can use the discount for up to 10 people. Your DH will get a separate card, which is handy if you're not always eating together. Remember too that the MYW dining plan costs 35 ad / 10 ch *PLUS* 13% tax at the All Star Movies resorts. So for your DH and the 2 kids it would be $39.55 + $11.30 + $11.30 = $62.15 per day, not 55 per day (you're charged at the resort rate tax). I guess it could be a good deal cause you could do a lot of meal-splitting in order not to have to pay a whole lot extra for you and your DD11.

Good luck in your decision-making. It's all a minefield!! :crazy:

DebIreland said:
taximomfor4,

Remember too that the MYW dining plan costs 35 ad / 10 ch *PLUS* 13% tax at the All Star Movies resorts. So for your DH and the 2 kids it would be $39.55 + $11.30 + $11.30 = $62.15 per day, not 55 per day (you're charged at the resort rate tax).

Good luck in your decision-making. It's all a minefield!! :crazy:

Is there a way to check that? I believe they can only charge you the meal tax??

kimmbagley said:
Is there a way to check that? I believe they can only charge you the meal tax??

Hiya,
If you check out the touring plans website (from the authors of the Unofficial Guide to WDW) they explain all about the MYW dining plan.
Specifically, under the first heading 'Overview' he mentions about the resort tax "....... For guests ages 10 and up, the price is around $39.03 per adult, per night, and $11.15 per child ages 3-9, with 11.5% tax included."

At the end of the page under the heading 'Miscellaneous Notes' he explains "The plan costs $39.55 for adults and $11.30 for children staying at the All Star Resorts, as the county they're in uses a higher tax rate of 13%. Oddly, the plan is taxed at the resort rate of 11.5 to 13%, while food in the restaurants is charged at 6.5%."

It's absurd!

DebIreland said:
I completely agree that it's unfair. It put me off going for the dining package. My eldest son will be 11 and I'd have to pay 35 dollars (plus tax) for him, whereas he's eligible for the kids menu in so many restaurants when paying separately. He'd go for the items on the kids menu nearly every time e.g. chicken strips. It's ridiculous classing a 10 or 11 year old as an adult.

For what it's worth I don't think they should be classed as adults for theme park tickets either. Perhaps an intermediary 'junior' classification and price might be fair but 'adult'? No!

in the MYW package brochures, there is a "Junior" price for children 10-17... it is significantly discounted below the adult rate, but the dining portion is equal to the adult...

as far as dining options... it does stipulate that child must order children's menu when available, but there is nothing to stop me/kids from sitting at a table watching the parade while dh goes to the counter and orders two adult meals, switching places with me and me ordering two adult meals ten minutes later... or better yet, ordering one adult meal (and extra bun!) for the kids to split, thereby saving one counter credit to be used at a later date... is there?

It was explained to me that the dining plan was a flat rate of $35 for adults and $10 for children with tax already included. I even checked this (just for curiosity) on the WDW site. If you book a hotel and ticket package, and see the price, then add the MYW with dining, it comes to almost exactly $35/$10 (really it was about .45 less). Does anyone believe this also?

DebIreland said:
Hiya,
If you check out the touring plans website (from the authors of the Unofficial Guide to WDW) they explain all about the MYW dining plan.
Specifically, under the first heading 'Overview' he mentions about the resort tax "....... For guests ages 10 and up, the price is around $39.03 per adult, per night, and $11.15 per child ages 3-9, with 11.5% tax included."

At the end of the page under the heading 'Miscellaneous Notes' he explains "The plan costs $39.55 for adults and $11.30 for children staying at the All Star Resorts, as the county they're in uses a higher tax rate of 13%. Oddly, the plan is taxed at the resort rate of 11.5 to 13%, while food in the restaurants is charged at 6.5%."

It's absurd!

And to add to the mystery, when I called to add the dining plan to my MYW package a few days ago I was charged $280 for four days for two adults (actually one adult and one 13 year old). That would be ($35 x 2) x 4 = $280. No tax. Could it be because I'm in Canada?

new kid at heart said:
It was explained to me that the dining plan was a flat rate of $35 for adults and $10 for children with tax already included. I even checked this (just for curiosity) on the WDW site. If you book a hotel and ticket package, and see the price, then add the MYW with dining, it comes to almost exactly $35/$10 (really it was about .45 less). Does anyone believe this also?

Thats how ours was quoted and thats what our paperwork from the TA says. Im not sure about the $39.55 and the $11.03 prices. :confused3

I have contacted to Unofficial Guide through their website about this tax confusion, but have not received anything back from them. My rate for when I added the MYW plus dining was ($90x8) $720 for 2 adults and 2 kids for 8 nights. As said in my previous reply, if you check WDW's website, it works out without tax as well. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be charged some additional fee when I get to the resort. ;)

gigi1313 said:
in the MYW package brochures, there is a "Junior" price for children 10-17... it is significantly discounted below the adult rate, but the dining portion is equal to the adult...

Probably the rate is if the junior is the third or fourth guest in a room. The room portion of the package is priced for double occupancy so there wouldn't be any extra charge for the kids. You're paying for the passes and meals but not the room.

The unofficial guide site has incorrect information on the tax on the dinning packages. When we purchased our package the price was $35 per adult and $10 per kid. No additional taxes were added. I do not know where they got thier information but I would guess that they just assumed it would be taxed at the resort rate. It appears that is Disney is including the sales tax in the price they qoute for packages with the dinning package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter