I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

Moving on now to the food, the next thing I ordered was from the Appetizer section of the menu...

Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese served warm with Raspberry Sauce and Toasted French Bread

This was the first time that I had this and I thought it was quite tasty. A little too rich and filling to eat all by myself though so I was happy to have people to share this with.

Next up, the Entrees...

IMHO there are few who can make fried chicken better than Aunt Liz so of course I ordered...

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken served with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Gravy, and Collard Greens with Bacon

I love the chicken, I like the Mashed Potatoes, and I can tolerate the Collard Greens because of the bacon. ;)

I was too full to order dessert, but I did take a photo of the menu...

Because it looked so yummy, I also snapped a photo of a dessert that I think was ordered by Paula...

50's Boston Cream Parfait - Layers of Chocolate Fudge, Vanilla Cream, and Pound Cake topped with Whipped Cream

You'll have to read Paula's dining report to find out if this tasted as good as it looked though.

I think that Hunter was the only one still wearing his birthday button so he was the recipient of a special birthday treat.

Here is the birthday boy with his cupcake, complete with candle...

Then it was time to pay our five separate checks and we further tried the patience of our dear Cousin Cindy by presenting her with four Tables in Wonderland cards. :laughing:

Poor Cousin Cindy. You know what they say...she can choose her friends but unfortunately she can't choose her relatives. ;)

And speaking of her relatives, here we all are...

...the whole motley crew, even Michael this time.

Just like our last visit to Prime Time Cafe in December...

Same crew but minus Michael, Marissa, & Beth, and plus Rachel (rachel09985), Em (JustEmmy), and Vicki (GoofySon'sMom)

- Photo credit to Brenda -

...this was again so much fun! The fact that the food is good too is of course an added bonus. As of now it seems that my next visit to Prime Time will be a solo lunch, which I'm a little bummed about. So anyone going there between Oct. 21 - Nov. 4 and have room for another family member? I promise I will share my milk shake. :lmao:

Following our lunch, we continued our fun on the Great Movie Ride...

Doesn't Hunter look like he's having a blast?... :laughing:

I was really happy when we stopped in the Western movie room instead of the usual Gangster room...

I've ridden the GMR many, many times but I think this was only the second time that I've seen this happen. This movie ride experience was also a bit different than usual in that it included smell-o-vision! :eek: At the time, Michael and Hunter were pleading for a cease fire, but after reading this ARTICLE it seems that we all owe a debt of gratitude to our unknown benefactor. ;)

Our next stop was "Incredibly" fun...

...even though Michael was on the losing end of this arm wrestling match. ;)

But no need to feel sorry for him, because he won the affections of the pretty girl anyway...

Next up: A Visit to the Boardwalk Bakery

Another super fun meal! I'm so looking forward to 50s Prime Time. I love seeing all the photos with the decor/theme-ing.

Your 50s lunch looks like so much fun and delicious. May have to try the fried chicken next time as it is so hard to find done right.

Think I will pass on the smell o vision movie ride though even if it would add something to the desperately in need do refurb ride. So sad when flatulence wins out over the worlds creepiest Sigourney Wever.

Everything looks yummy at 50's Prime Time. I have never been there, except at the bar to get hot chocolate spiked with Rumpleminz one Christmastime.

When do you plan to get to WDW? Our plan is to go the DHS on Monday. I might take you up on lunch there. The milkshake looks awesome. I just can't imagine what a PBJ milkshake would taste like.

Since the Brown Derby Lounge outside opened up, I have a hard time eating anywhere else in the Studios. That is one yummy place with great mixed drink tastings.

What a great report! 50's diner is one of our favourites and a must-do every trip! The Fried herb & Garlic Cheese Appetizer is AMAZING (but you're right, it's definitely a shareable treat!)

It's so great to see so many great DIS Trip Reporters together in one pic - it's like the Academy Awards of DISers ;)

50's Prime Time is so much fun! And if we were going to be there at the same time in October, you could totally join us! No need to share your milkshake though as I'd probably have one of my own. ;)

...this was again so much fun! The fact that the food is good too is of course an added bonus. As of now it seems that my next visit to Prime Time will be a solo lunch, which I'm a little bummed about. So anyone going there between Oct. 21 - Nov. 4 and have room for another family member? I promise I will share my milk shake. :lmao:

DH and I will be at the WL from Oct 22nd to 27th. ;) I haven't been able to talk my husband into going back to Prime-time, but if you have any plans to go to Trail's End or Territory Lounge, just let us know. :)

ETA: We also have lunch scheduled for Liberty Tree Tavern. I can't miss the Ooey Goey Toffee Cake. :)

Great 50's PT review Barb :goodvibes
We haven't visited for years, in fact the last time we ate there was like 20 years ago!
We also got the Western scene in GMR on our December trip and to say I was excited was an understatement!

Just back from our Disneyland & Universal trip so catching up. We took our extremely picky eating 14 yr old twin grandsons along for this trip ... so no great dining for us this trip. Yeah a few good meals but nothing to write home about lol
Love love the picture of you and little Emme at DHS that's the best picture of you, just beautiful and Emme is adorable of course!
I would gladly share a shake with you but just going to miss you as we arrive on the 9th of Nov. Your appetizer looks yummy but fried cheese and grapes is a win win for me so I'll have to try it for sure. You had a great cousin and fabulous dining companions ... What a fun trip all around : )

Haven't been to 50's since they removed the beloved stack sandwich from the lunch menu. But your fried cheese appetizer has me thinking we need to go back.

Another super fun meal! I'm so looking forward to 50s Prime Time. I love seeing all the photos with the decor/theme-ing.

After three great meals here in a row, PTC has become one of my WDW favorites. Hope you have a great experience there too! :thumbsup2

Your 50s lunch looks like so much fun and delicious. May have to try the fried chicken next time as it is so hard to find done right.

Think I will pass on the smell o vision movie ride though even if it would add something to the desperately in need do refurb ride. So sad when flatulence wins out over the worlds creepiest Sigourney Wever.

Yes, I definitely recommend the fried chicken. I used to always get the meatloaf there for some reason, even though I thought it was just okay. Then I tried the pot roast and liked it much better. But once I tried the chicken...ding,ding, ding "I FOUND THE WINNER!" :thumbsup2

Everything looks yummy at 50's Prime Time. I have never been there, except at the bar to get hot chocolate spiked with Rumpleminz one Christmastime.

When do you plan to get to WDW? Our plan is to go the DHS on Monday. I might take you up on lunch there. The milkshake looks awesome. I just can't imagine what a PBJ milkshake would taste like.

Since the Brown Derby Lounge outside opened up, I have a hard time eating anywhere else in the Studios. That is one yummy place with great mixed drink tastings.

They had spiked hot chocolate at the Tune-in Lounge?!?! Darn, how did miss that one??? :laughing:

I actually didn't think I would like the PB& J milk shake before I tasted it. Boy, was I ever wrong!!! ;)

What a great report! 50's diner is one of our favourites and a must-do every trip! The Fried herb & Garlic Cheese Appetizer is AMAZING (but you're right, it's definitely a shareable treat!)

It's so great to see so many great DIS Trip Reporters together in one pic - it's like the Academy Awards of DISers ;)

Thank you so much for your kind words. :blush: I felt very, very lucky to be with such a great group of people during both of my trips. :goodvibes

50's Prime Time is so much fun! And if we were going to be there at the same time in October, you could totally join us! No need to share your milkshake though as I'd probably have one of my own. ;)

Sadly, I think I will just miss you this time Carol. :worried: I don't arrive until 10/21. But perhaps next time??? :)

DH and I will be at the WL from Oct 22nd to 27th. ;) I haven't been able to talk my husband into going back to Prime-time, but if you have any plans to go to Trail's End or Territory Lounge, just let us know. :)

ETA: We also have lunch scheduled for Liberty Tree Tavern. I can't miss the Ooey Goey Toffee Cake. :)

I'm thinking about trying TE for breakfast sometime during the portion of my trip that I'm staying at WL, which as of now is 10/23 - 10/27. I was leaning toward the morning of 10/26. As for Territory Lounge, there is a possibility I might be there for a drink and snack on 10/26. If neither of these work out though, I hope you at least stop me to say hi if you see me around the lodge. :thumbsup2

Great 50's PT review Barb :goodvibes
We haven't visited for years, in fact the last time we ate there was like 20 years ago!
We also got the Western scene in GMR on our December trip and to say I was excited was an understatement!

Yay for the Western scene!!! It was so nice to have something different. :thumbsup2

Love the pt 50 's! I can only imagine how much fun you all had.

Yes, I'm kind of spoiled now since the last two times there I've been with a very fun group of people. I know it won't be the same next time when I'm solo but at least I'll have a delicious PB & J shake to keep me company. :laughing:

And btw Lori, how's it going with the new baby? :)

Just back from our Disneyland & Universal trip so catching up. We took our extremely picky eating 14 yr old twin grandsons along for this trip ... so no great dining for us this trip. Yeah a few good meals but nothing to write home about lol
Love love the picture of you and little Emme at DHS that's the best picture of you, just beautiful and Emme is adorable of course!
I would gladly share a shake with you but just going to miss you as we arrive on the 9th of Nov. Your appetizer looks yummy but fried cheese and grapes is a win win for me so I'll have to try it for sure. You had a great cousin and fabulous dining companions ... What a fun trip all around : )

Welcome back! Hope you had a great trip. And darn...I'll miss you by just 5 days!! :(

Haven't been to 50's since they removed the beloved stack sandwich from the lunch menu. But your fried cheese appetizer has me thinking we need to go back.

The fried cheese was really good. Probably not something I will get next time since I will be solo, but will definitely have it again sometime. :thumbsup2

Sorry for the delay on my final reviews. It's been a busy week with researching, choosing, and booking the F & W events for my October trip. I also spent some time at our county fair.

Every year I look forward to having a funnel cake topped with powdered sugar...

So messy, yet sooo delicious! :thumbsup2

Anyway, I'll try to get my Boardwalk Bakery review posted tomorrow. Until then, good night and sweet Disney dreams! :cloud9:

I parted ways with the rest of the group with the intention of going back to my room to rest up a bit before our dinner. However, my sweet tooth starting aching and would not allow me to rest until I had satisfied it. ;) Since I was still at DHS, I decided to take a look inside Sweet Spells. It was very busy at the time so I didn't take any photos of the display case. I purchased a few Frozen-themed treats to take home, but didn't see anything that I wanted there.

So I left DHS and headed back to the Boardwalk. Since I had not been inside Seashore Sweets (located next to Flying Fish Cafe) for several years, I decided to check it out first. What I found there was very similar to what I had just seen at Sweet Spells.

Still not finding what I wanted, my quest continued on down the boardwalk to the bakery...

The sign says, "Come on in!" Well, who am I to disobey??" ;)

The Boardwalk Bakery is a great place to find a delicious cupcake. Today they had Strawberry, Lemon Blueberry, and Oreo.

Not feeling like a cupcake, my search continued. These salads looked really good...

Especially this one that was covered with what looked like goat cheese...

However, my sweet tooth was not impressed and told me to keep moving on... :rolleyes:

Oh, look at the not-so-hidden Mickey in the fruit tart...

But it was the item next to the fruit tart that really caught my eye...

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!! :thumbsup2

Earlier in my trip I had taste tested the Napoleon from Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie...

Even though they had claimed to have improved this recently, making it more like their Napoleon from the old Boulangerie Patisserie...

The old Boulangerie Patisserie Napoleon

...to me this was a fail. :sad2: The filling tasted like a very "eggy" custard and the icing on top was sickly sweet. Blech! Most of this went into the garbage.

But during my last trip I was thrilled to find that a Napoleon that is very similar to the old Boulangerie Patisserie one can be found at the Boardwalk Bakery.

And here it is in all its glory...

The filling of this one is light and creamy and the powdered sugar on top adds just the right amount of sweetness. Oh, and the chocolate dipped strawberry half is a nice bonus! :thumbsup2

So IMO the Boardwalk's Napoleon kicks the French Napoleon's butt and is the clear winner of my Napoleon challenge. Has anyone else tasted both? I'd love to hear your opinion, even if it is different than my own. ;)

Next up: Dinner at Shula's

OMG the pictures from boardwalk bakery are making me so hungry right now. That lemon and blueberry cupcake looks divine, as does your Napoleon. Not sure how you could even choose from all the great choices. We are staying at boardwalk next trip and I know having the bakery that close is not gonna be good for the waistline.

Oh my goodness that is what I remember the Napoleon looks like. Yummy!!!! I want one NOW. I'm not sure I can wait for our November trip but I suppose I don't have any choice. Thanks for sharing this discovery. You are the best!!!!!

Sadly, I think I will just miss you this time Carol. :worried: I don't arrive until 10/21. But perhaps next time??? :)

Unfortunately we leave on 10/13 so I'm definitely hoping for next time! :goodvibes

Your Boardwalk Bakery Napoleon definitely looks like the winner between the two. However, I'd be hard pressed to pick between the chocolate peanut butter bar cake and the lemon meringue tart. Both would be whispering sweet nothings to me. ;)

Ohhh and Ahhh over the bakery case but I think you choose wisely : ) love a good napoleon and that looks wonderful! Quick question ... Have you ever tried the tiramisu from boardwalk bakery?

I can't wait for your Shula's review. We are having our anniversary dinner there in September. So please tell me it is beyond awesome! ;)

Great updates Barb! Love your 50s Prime Time review. We have it booked for the first time ever for our September trip. Looking forward to finally trying it. The problem is, everything looks good! I can't decide what to order! I might have to go with your choice and try the fried chicken. It definitely looks amazing.

I just read all 30 pages - Barb, I enjoyed reading your report. I liked the pictures of the Garden Suites at Boardwalk - we stayed there for a few days on the way home from our honeymoon cruise (me: We can't fly over Orlando without stopping, and that way, we'll bookmark the honeymoon with Disney - DL on the way out, WDW on the way home), and they upgraded us to one the garden suites. I liked just looking out the windows.

We haven't been back since 2008, and we loved Yachtsman Steakhouse, I hope we have a better meal than you all did.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter