I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

First I must apologize for the long delay in posting my wrap-up. The jabead family has been "on the move" for the last two weeks. We moved our youngest to college for the first time, while his older sister returned home after her summer-long internship in Chicago...but just four days later we moved her to college for the last time, as she is a senior. Add to this that we recently sold our home in town and moved permanently to our farm house last week/weekend and what do you have? NO DIS TIME!!! :(

But now it's time to get this dining report signed, sealed, and delivered. So without further delay, here are my favorite table service meals of this trip beginning with BREAKFAST:

Of my three TS breakfasts, my least favorite was at the Yacht Club's...

I ordered something from the A la Carte section of the menu here...

Tailored Omelet - Choice of Meats, Vegetables, and Cheese served with Savory Hash Browns and a Biscuit

There was nothing remarkable about this breakfast, nothing bad nor nothing great. If I ever return, I will try something else...like the Lemon-Ricotta Hotcakes, Citrus-scented French Toast, or the Dark Chocolate Waffles.

But on the positive side, my other two TS breakfasts were very good. The close runner-up to my favorite breakfast was at the Grand Floridian's...

I've been to the Grand Floridian Café four times for breakfast and all four times I have gotten the...

Vanilla-Laced French Toast - Brioche Bread dipped in Vanilla flavored batter, served with your choice of bacon or sausage

And this choice has never failed me. I will definitely be returning here on my next trip and probably every trip after that as long as they continue to serve the delicious Vanilla-Laced French Toast.

Coming out on top in the breakfast category once again was the Polynesian's...

And here is the reason that Kona Café continues to be my favorite breakfast at Disney World...

Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes served with Macadamia Nut Butter, Pineapple Sauce, and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage (which is what I chose).

Though these pancakes and the GFC French Toast are equally delicious, because the pancakes are more unique I give Kona Café the slight edge for the top spot in the Breakfast category. You can definitely expect to see Kona Café and these pancakes making an appearance in my next dining report.

Now moving on to the Lunch Category, starting with my least favorite at Downtown Disney's...

I went to Raglan Road for their Sunday Brunch and ordered this from their special Brunch menu...

Eggs En Cocotte - Farm fresh eggs baked with spinach, mushrooms and Dubliner cheddar cheese served with toast soldiers

While the flavor of this was good, the soupy texture was totally unexpected and therefore a bit off-putting. However, this lunch (brunch) was far from a total failure since it ended with this much-loved dessert...

Ger’s Bread & Butter Pudding

I think that I will give Sunday Brunch at Raglan Road another try in October, but will go with another entrée from their Brunch menu...or I might just go with their tried and true Fish & Chips. :thumbsup2

My other six lunches were all good, but three of them stand out above the rest. My second Runner-up for Favorite Lunch of this trip was at Magic Kingdom's...

There are two things at Liberty Tree Tavern which make it a Must-do Lunch for me. The first being the...

Colony Salad with Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, Craisins Dried Cranberries and Grilled Chicken tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette

...and the second is this delicious dessert.

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake - Vanilla Cake with a Gooey Toffee Filling, Caramel Sauce, and Vanilla Ice Cream

The only reason that my Liberty Tree lunch came in third this time is because the service was not the best. In October I will have the honor of dining here with Joh (wilmabride) and her family and I am very much looking forward to it. :goodvibes

The First Runner-up spot on my Favorite Lunch list goes to Hollywood Studios'...

This was a last-minute addition to my dining schedule and I was pleasantly surprised that it ended up being one of my favorites. I started here with the appetizer portion of their Signature...

Cobb Salad made with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives, and Cobb dressing.

I was torn between three entrees on their Lunch menu, but finally decided on...

The Original Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp, topped with Prosciutto Brittle and Parmigiano-Reggiano

Both my salad and entrée were very good. I also really like that the HBD now offers a mini-dessert trio...

Here were my three choices...

From left to right: Brown Derby Original! Mini Grapefruit Cake, Banana Toffee Cake on Cocoa Crunch and Strawberry Banana Pearls, and Amaretto Flan topped with Opalys White Chocolate Whip and an Almond Cookie,

My favorite of these was the Banana Toffee Cake, as it was really good. I didn't care for the Grapefruit Cake but I was very happy that I finally got to try it and cross it off my Bucket List.

The Winner in the Lunch Category was another DHS restaurant...

While the food here is simple, it is very tasty. My Prime Time favorites are the...

Peanut Butter and Jelly Milk Shake

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken served with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Gravy, and Collard Greens with Bacon

But part of the draw here is the fun atmosphere, which was greatly accentuated by my dining companions. And this brings me to my current dilemma. Because my October trip will focus on Epcot and the Food & Wine Festival, I will probably only be having one lunch at DHS. So do I dine solo at Prime Time or go with my first runner-up, the Hollywood Brown Derby? Decisions, decisions. :scratchin

As for dinner, my seven dinners of this trip were:

California Grill - Dinner #1
Jiko
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Artist Point
California Grill - Dinner #2
Flying Fish Cafe
Shula's

Any guesses which one of these was my least favorite and which were my top 3? I will leave you guessing for a bit while I write the final installment of my wrap-up, which hopefully I will get posted tomorrow. Good night! :wave2:

Love your trip report style and wow you had amazing food : ) My guess is Artist Point as your favorite ... Can't wait and see which one it is!

Great wrap up Barb
Exciting to see the results of the best dinners category!

Thanks Linda! Best dinner coming up momentarily! :thumbsup2

Delightful! Love the pics, thank you!

Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

Love your trip report style and wow you had amazing food : ) My guess is Artist Point as your favorite ... Can't wait and see which one it is!

Thanks! And Artist Point is a very good guess. ;)

Ok, let's wrap this up with dinner, both the good and the bad. Fortunately I had only one bad dinner experience on this trip and it was at the Yacht Club's...

This dinner seemed jinxed from the very beginning. Coming from the Wilderness Lodge, we had to transfer buses at Magic Kingdom in the pouring rain. This combined with a leaky bus roof which continued to drip rain on us, meant we arrived at the Yacht Club soaking wet. This put a "damper" on our evening, but it was only the beginning of what turned out to be my worst dinner of the trip. Though our dinner started well, with the delicious YSH onion rolls...

...it was pretty much all downhill from there. :(

My filet, which was ordered medium well with our server confirming that it would have a slightly pink center, turned out to be well done with not even a hint of pink.

8 oz. Black Angus Filet Mignon with Cabernet Wine Sauce and Mashed Potatoes

An overcooked steak was actually a minor problem compared to the entrees served to most of my dining companions. Sadly our server was absent for a long time following the delivery of our entrees so we were unable to express our dissatisfaction to him. So with poor service and unsatisfactory food...

YACHTSMAN STEAKHOUSE

Though my last two dinners at YSH have been less than stellar, with poor service both times and issues with the food this time, I will probably be returning there in October. During my March 2013 trip, YSH was my family's favorite dinner. With that in mind, I want to give it one more chance to redeem itself .

Ok, that was the bad but now for the very good top 3 dinners of this trip, starting with my Second Runner-up, the Boardwalk's...

I'm sure there are some of you that are surprised with this choice, given the "Bread Drama" that took place at this dinner. However, other than the tasteless bread and the issues which it caused with our server, the rest of the food here was wonderful.

Flying Fish' Signature Appetizer Duo - Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake and Caesar Salad

Artisanal Cheese Plate

Complimentary Platter of Prosciutto and Melon from the Chef

Idaho Potato-wrapped Red Snapper (1/2 of the Signature Entree Duo which I shared with Brenda)

Peanut Butter Freeze with Kahlúa, Baileys Irish Cream, Crème de Banana, Dark Crème de Cacao, and Peanut Butter

I would have to say that if we had had a different server (such as our second server, who was great!), this dinner would have been in strong contention for my favorite meal of this trip. I am definitely looking forward to having dinner here in October, this time with Linda (Linda67) and her DH.

I'm also looking forward to returning in October to my First Runner-up choice, the Wilderness Lodge's...

This beautiful restaurant has such a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Add to this, delicious food and great service and you have all the makings for a superb dinner. :thumbsup2

Smokey Portobello Soup with roasted shiitakes, chive oil, and topped with sourdough croutons

Cedar Plank-roasted King Salmon with Fregola Pasta, English Spring Peas, Peppadew Peppers, Cipollini Onions, Pea Nage, and Sun Dried Tomato and Cabernet Aioli

I had dinner at Artist Point on my one night stay at the CL of the hotel, so I skipped dessert in order to try the desserts offered in the lounge. If I had had the Artist Point Cobbler though, this dinner could have very well been my favorite of the trip.

So what was MY FAVORITE DINNER?

It seems that I saved the best for last because my final dinner of the trip turned out to be my favorite.

IMO Shula's serves the best French Onion Soup on Disney World property...

And my filet was perfectly cooked (ordered medium this time ;)) and very tasty once I tried it with a different sauce other than the Bearnaise that it normally comes with.

8 oz. Filet Mignon served with Béarnaise sauce

Last but not least, dessert...

Chocolate soufflé served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and creme anglaise

Great food and service (with the exception of little bit of "attitude" from our server regarding our request for separate checks) plus wonderful company made this dinner a perfect ending for my trip.

And that's a wrap!

Thanks so much reading, it's been a pleasure to have you along. Hopefully you will join me for my next dining report. My October trip will again be a solo adventure and will be my longest WDW vacation since 2001 (Oct. 21 - Nov. 4). I'll be staying at at least 3 and possibly 4 different resorts (AKL, WL, BWV, and possibly one night at the BC) depending on where/when I can get an AP rate. Without having anyone along to complain about having to pack up and move to another resort, I am footloose and fancy free. :laughing: So look for my next dining report to begin sometime around mid-October with some of my pre-trip dining plans...which will for the most part all be subject to change. ;)

Thanks for the taking the time to take us along with you on your dining adventures! I'll be on board when you start your October report!

Awesome wrap-up Barb! I definitely thought YS would be your least favourite TS but I too thought AP would get the nod as best. Shula's obviously hit it out of the park. :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to reading your October DR, have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

Great wrap up Barb! Always fun to read.

And I'm so bummed that we usually go to WDW the later part of October but this year we are going the first part to do F&W, a cruise, then F&W again. So, in normal years we could have met! Maybe someday.

But I can't wait for your next trip and read all about your dining adventures. Until then. . . .Happy Fall! :goodvibes

I don't think I've chimed in yet, but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your DR! It makes me want to attempt one for my upcoming October trip!

Great highlight posts! I'm sorry to see two of my favorites (Captain's Grille and Raglan) at the bottom, but based on your dishes it's definitely understandable.

On another note, I'm glad that Artist Point finished in the top 3, and the Weakest Link reference was hilarious. :thumbsup2

Yay! So happy to hear that you are going to the F & W Festival. Hopefully you will be doing some live reports??? ::yes:: I only wish that you were going to be there at the same time as me. Looks like we will miss each other by a few weeks. :worried:
Not sure about doing updates yet - the live thread is winding down, and I'm not sure if I'll have enough substance for a new thread. Will try to come up with something though. Sorry we're missing each other!

Shoot ... Oh so close picking artist point but glad your last dinner at Shula's was your favorite since that makes for such a nice ending to your fabulous vacation : ) Looking forward to your F&W reviews in the fall/winter and thank you for a fun informative read

I truly enjoyed reading your wonderful journey through beautiful resorts, restaurants and your time with friends!! Your pictures are beautiful!!

Happy VERY belated birthday!! I'm looking forward to your October trip adventures! We will be there in October also and I'm looking forward to having some fun eating around the world at F&W!!

Thank you for sharing your birthday adventure!

As always thank you for sharing!! Looking forward to October.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I loved your reviews! I will be there at the same time so hopefully we will run into each other at some point :) my dates are oct. 24-28!:goodvibes

Thanks for the taking the time to take us along with you on your dining adventures! I'll be on board when you start your October report!

Thank you Fran for taking the time to read along! :)

Awesome wrap-up Barb! I definitely thought YS would be your least favourite TS but I too thought AP would get the nod as best. Shula's obviously hit it out of the park. :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to reading your October DR, have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

It was a very close call Carol, but I think the great company that I had at Shula's tipped the scales in its favor. ;)

I think you might actually be at WDW right now, if so then I hope you are having a great time!

Awesome report as always Barb! Cannot wait to hear all about your October trip!

Although I haven't had the time to spend here on the DIS, I was able to follow you on Instagram during your recent trip. Thank you for posting all the great pics there, I really enjoyed them Jeri. :thumbsup2 Now I need to get over to your dining report for all the details.

Great wrap up Barb! Always fun to read.

And I'm so bummed that we usually go to WDW the later part of October but this year we are going the first part to do F&W, a cruise, then F&W again. So, in normal years we could have met! Maybe someday.

But I can't wait for your next trip and read all about your dining adventures. Until then. . . .Happy Fall! :goodvibes

Thanks Chris! I think you too might currently be at WDW or cruising??? Hope you are having a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

2 wonderful wrap-ups, I absolutely loved reading every word.

Thanks so much for following along Tania!

I don't think I've chimed in yet, but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your DR! It makes me want to attempt one for my upcoming October trip!

Thanks for chiming in and I hope you will do a dining report. Count me in if you do! :thumbsup2 Also, it looks like we might be at WDW around the same time (I arrive on 10/21) so if you should happen to see me please say hi. :wave2:

Great highlight posts! I'm sorry to see two of my favorites (Captain's Grille and Raglan) at the bottom, but based on your dishes it's definitely understandable.

On another note, I'm glad that Artist Point finished in the top 3, and the Weakest Link reference was hilarious. :thumbsup2

Not sure about doing updates yet - the live thread is winding down, and I'm not sure if I'll have enough substance for a new thread. Will try to come up with something though. Sorry we're missing each other!

If I remember correctly, your trip to the World is coming up very soon. I hope you have a great time at the F & W festival. Will you be posting live updates on Instagram by chance? If so, please text or email me with your Instagram name. Since mine is jabead there too, I tried DonaldDoleWhip but no luck. :laughing:

Shoot ... Oh so close picking artist point but glad your last dinner at Shula's was your favorite since that makes for such a nice ending to your fabulous vacation : ) Looking forward to your F&W reviews in the fall/winter and thank you for a fun informative read

I suspect that if I had dined with Brenda, Michael, Paula, Hunter and Beth at Artist Point then that dinner would have topped my favorites list. ;) Anyway, thanks so much for reading along! :goodvibes

I truly enjoyed reading your wonderful journey through beautiful resorts, restaurants and your time with friends!! Your pictures are beautiful!!

Happy VERY belated birthday!! I'm looking forward to your October trip adventures! We will be there in October also and I'm looking forward to having some fun eating around the world at F&W!!

Thank you for sharing your birthday adventure!

Thanks so much for your very kind words. :blush: If our October trips should coincide and you see me in the parks/resorts/restaurants, please do say hi! ::yes::

As always thank you for sharing!! Looking forward to October.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks Lori! I saw on Facebook that you and your family were at Disneyland recently and met up with Brenda. It was fun to see a photo of Alexander. :goodvibes

I loved your reviews! I will be there at the same time so hopefully we will run into each other at some point :) my dates are oct. 24-28!:goodvibes

Thanks Shelby! It would be great to meet you so I hope our paths do cross. :)

Sorry it has taken me so long to post these replies. I'm hoping to begin the next dining report for my upcoming trip (Oct. 21 - Nov. 4) in a week or two so please stay tuned for that. Until then, thanks again everyone and happy trip planning! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter