I Have A Question About Cancellation

100%Disney

<font color=9999FF>On the lookout for a good sushi
It looks as though I am going to have to cancel my December trip. I really want to reschedule for next Christmas. Would they let me transfer my deposit to a date that far away, or would I just lose the $200?

think so but not sure. don't you have to pay a fee to even transfer because you are less than the 45 days?

You can modify your dates out they will keep the deposit on there. Depending on how close you are to your dates, you may get hit with a document fee but that's only about $15.

They may charge you the change fee of $50, but I don't think they will. That's typically charged when your price goes down within 45 days.

Prepare for a $65 fee just to be safe, but it's better than losing $200 entirely.

think so but not sure. don't you have to pay a fee to even transfer because you are less than the 45 days?

We were just at WDW Oct 27th-Nov 4th. I had an AP pkg (room with DDP) booked at CBR. About two weeks before we were to leave a coworker offered me a fantastic deal for a one bedroom villa at Westgate Town Center, just one mile from the WDW gates. She was going to lose her time and had already banked all she could, so offered it to me for just $400.00 for the week. I figured even if we had to pay WDW a penalty, it would still be worth it for the extra space and the money saved. When I called, the CM let me move the trip I had scheduled with them to mid May. She said I would only have to pay some $50.00 change fee, but it has never been charged and the rebooked trip is showing the full amount I had previously paid, so it wasn't deducted from that either.:confused3

OT: I have since decided I'd rather stay offsite again and booked a one bedroom villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek through a third party. I have not yet canceled my WDW reservation for May though. When I do so, I'm afraid they may charge the change fee then, even though I am more than 45 days out for that trip.

I had to cancel the whole thing and pay the $200 penalty. They wouldn't refund the remaining money and just let me transfer the deposit to next year. It's ok though, I just needed to get most of the money back.

I had to cancel the whole thing and pay the $200 penalty. They wouldn't refund the remaining money and just let me transfer the deposit to next year. It's ok though, I just needed to get most of the money back.

They wouldn't cancel and transfer, but if you just called and changed your dates (keeping the same reservation numb) the money paid would have stayed.

If you change your dates, they will not charge you a fee if the price of the package goes UP (they waive the fee). If the price of the package goes DOWN, there's a $50 change fee. If you cancel outright, yes, they charge the $200.

No, they wouldn't let me change my dates and just apply the deposit to the new dates, refunding the remainder. I had paid in full. I would have to leave all the money on the new reservation and I couldn't afford to do that.

No, they wouldn't let me change my dates and just apply the deposit to the new dates, refunding the remainder. I had paid in full. I would have to leave all the money on the new reservation and I couldn't afford to do that.

As much as that wasn't what you wanted to hear, it makes sense. If you just changed the dates on your current reservation, then any money you had already paid toward that reservaton would continue to stay on that reservaton. To only have a deposit applied would require a new reservation and cancelling your old one - which brings the $200 penalty into play. Sorry you didn't have a better outcome to your situation.

That's one reason I book room only reservations. I like the fact that I can cancel up to a week ahead and get my deposit back, and I like the fact that I don't have to pay for the room until I check in. But I have also booked packages a few times when they were a better deal than RO and I did worry up until a couple weeks out that something might happen to cause the trip to be cancelled (I suppose I could have purchased trip insurance, but it covers so many things that wouldn't apply in my case that it just seems like a waste of money for me).

As much as that wasn't what you wanted to hear, it makes sense. If you just changed the dates on your current reservation, then any money you had already paid toward that reservaton would continue to stay on that reservaton. To only have a deposit applied would require a new reservation and cancelling your old one - which brings the $200 penalty into play. Sorry you didn't have a better outcome to your situation.

That's one reason I book room only reservations. I like the fact that I can cancel up to a week ahead and get my deposit back, and I like the fact that I don't have to pay for the room until I check in. But I have also booked packages a few times when they were a better deal than RO and I did worry up until a couple weeks out that something might happen to cause the trip to be cancelled (I suppose I could have purchased trip insurance, but it covers so many things that wouldn't apply in my case that it just seems like a waste of money for me).

I would do room only as well, but I had free dining and that made it worth a package deal to me. I pretty much knew I'd be out the deposit, much better than the entire amount. Cancelling couldn't be helped, at this time, and I hope we will be able to go next December instead, but vacation is a luxury and we just couldn't justify the expense. Thanks for all the replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter