I Can't, I'm Not Wearing a Princess Dress! - New TR link!!!!

Catching up on your report. I was at Disney last week so I'm dealing with post Disney depression.
I hope you had a great trip!

1. 19,472
2. Leaky Cauldron
3. The Conference
4. Simpsons
5. 2
6. MIB
7. Pictures with a selfie stick
8. 2
9. The Hulk was down
Got em!

Awesome update. Sounds like you had a good time with the DISdads and got to see some fireworks too :thumbsup2. I about died at your wife's garage door falling on her car :rotfl2:, that's totally something I would say. Looking forward to hearing about your day at Universal.
It was a lot of fun. I'm glad I got to see the fireworks, but I'm also really disappointed that I missed out on an hour or so hanging out with the disdads. I really had a lot of fun with them!

It was a relief to finally find out that the garage door situation wasn't as bad as it originally sounded.

1. 24,632
2. Landscape of favors
3. DW having car troubles
4. Minions
5. 3
6. Escape from Gringotts
7. Excessive fake screaming
8. 2
9. Hulk being down :sad1:
Got em!

This looks like an awesome place, especially for Indiana Jones fans. I heard there are even a couple Star Wars "Easter eggs" in there. Great tip about the to go drinks, too.
It really is... and yeah a couple of Star Wars references too. There are a lot of neat Easter Eggs to look for around the place.

I only tried sake once. It was quite potent, at least for me. I may not try it again.
:rotfl2: I didn't really think it seemed that bad. Although I really didn't drink very much of it.

1. 19,730
2. Leaky Cauldron
3. something related to your conference
4. "Thing" shirts from Seuss Landing
5. twice
6. Escape from Gringotts
7. screaming
8. 2
9. The Hulk coaster was dismantled
Got em!

(I know you are doing another update soon. I hope these are not too late for you :blush:)
Not at all. I've been busy and I've still got a lot of work to do on the next update.

I was hoping I had that reputation. Apparently I didn't.
Well, you do tend to reply promptly. I don't pay enough attention to consider it a reputation though.

The runDisney races have a beer truck in the finisher area.
So you get the medals and the beer. Although you have to pay for the beer.
There are some races out there that give you a free beer at the end. So those are even better.
Or I could just pay the entry fee, take a cab to the end and sit there and enjoy the beer while all the other suckers are running.

So if, like me, you're someone who counts how many drinks they've had (and sticks to a strict limit), you'll probably be fine.
If you're normal ... it's one of those "you're not gonna realize you're drunk until something goes wrong" things.
Got it.
In other words, if you're responsible, no problem. :thumbsup2

The number of points doesn't matter. All that matters is that I'm ahead of everyone except one person.
b1e5b6c94adca68130485ddbcfd9e401.jpg

Hulk Smashed????

I woke up at around 6:30 Saturday morning. Universal Studios had early entry this morning with Islands of Adventure opening at 9. I wanted to get to get there by 8:15 at the latest to line up by the turnstiles since I’ve heard that they occasionally open the gates before the posted time.

I was getting ready to go get some breakfast when I got a call from DW. She was getting online to print boarding passes for their flight Sunday morning when she noticed that DD’s middle name was wrong on the ticket. She has a hyphenated middle name and since that is what it says on her birth certificate, we wanted to make sure it matched. Even though we didn’t need to have ID for her to fly, we wanted to be sure the ticket matched any database that the TSA might be checking tickets against. I tried to get online to see if I could modify the ticket and I was unable to do anything. So I ended up calling Delta and chatting with them for a while. They checked everything out and said that their ticketing system won’t recognize hyphens but we should be good to go.

I don’t remember if it had a hyphen on her ticket when we flew to California last year or not, but I know we didn’t have any problems on that trip.

Anyway, I had been planning to grab some breakfast from Everything Pop, but it was getting late enough that I felt like I should be getting on the road so that I’d be at Universal plenty early.

When I arrived at the entrance to Citywalk, they had 4 metal detectors set up. I proceeded to empty my pockets, walked through and it went off. They pulled me to the side and wanded me. Apparently my belt buckle had set it off.

This began my frustration with Universal Studios and their #@#$ metal detectors. Look, I understand the need for security. I get it. But I think they’ve got them cranked up to find somebody trying to sneak in with a paper clip in their pocket.

I’ve had this belt for a long time. I’ve worn it through metal detectors at entrances to a lot of government buildings. I’m sure I’ve forgotten to take it off a time or 2 at the airport as well. I never had a problem with it setting off metal detectors.

Spoiler: It also didn’t set off the metal detectors at Disney World.

They finally let me through and I was on my way into CityWalk.

20160109_081355.jpg

I stopped on the way in and grabbed a cinnamon roll and a bottle of water from the Cinnabon in CityWalk and I took them with me to eat while I was waiting on IoA to open.

I arrived there at 8:30 and there were already a few lines formed. I joined one about 15 back from the turnstiles. I hadn’t been there long when more TMs came out and opened more lines. I scooted over to a new line and I ended up being 4th in line. As more and more TMs came out to man their stations, I felt like the park would open at any time! Finally at about 8:55 they opened the gates. Well, maybe I could have tried to give Everything Pop another chance. Oh well, we were still in 5 minutes early.

First up was a visit to Hogsmeade to ride the Forbidden Journey. This was my second time to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter there. The first time, I thought all the theming was cool, but I didn’t really know what anything was. A few weeks before my trip, I saw ABC Family running a marathon of the movies so I DVRed them and managed to watch all 8 movies right before my trip. I was excited to get back to the Wizarding World and see it all again now that I might understand more of what I was seeing.

It was a hazy morning, and it really made the entire area look even more amazing.

20160109_085719.jpg

20160109_085713.jpg

20160109_091411_1.jpg

I entered the castle and walked through the queue. Many of the things I was impressed with the first time, I found more impressive this time since I actually knew what they were!

We all walked slowly through the castle seeing all the detail, but the line literally never stopped moving until we turned the corner past the sorting hat. In no time at all I was on Forbidden Journey.

Now some of you might remember me saying that I’m not a big fan of this ride. I realize the Kuka arm technology is supposed to be special and impressive. And this ride is supposed to be one of the best things ever. I rode it once and I wasn’t impressed. Part of it could be that I can get some motion sickness from certain motion simulator rides and the broom sequences on this one hit me pretty hard. I remember that I was pretty much begging for the ride to end by the second broom sequence.

Well, I made sure to take my Dramamine this morning. Actually, I started taking it the day before to build it up in my system. I had breakfast so I wasn’t going in with an empty stomach. I’d planned everything out to make sure I was ready to ride and I felt pretty good about it.

I got on and gave Forbidden Journey another chance, excited to see how great this ride is now that it actually makes sense to me.

I really hate to say it, but I’m still not impressed by it.

The broom sequences still got to me. They were maybe not quite as bad as I remembered from the first time, but I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to go through another by the end of the ride. The Kuka arm technology that gets so much credit just seems overrated to me. I mean, yes, it is impressive how it moves and works. I can’t argue that.

But really, it’s a dark ride with a larger range of motion and motion simulator scenes that shake the crap out of you. And those Dementors look like something my 6 year old could have made in his Kindergarten art class. It just doesn’t do much for me.

I know a lot of people love this one. And I hate to bash it. It is a good ride. I’m sure I’ll ride it again. But once a trip is more than enough for me.

After I left Hogwarts, I decided to head over to US and try to ride Gringotts before it got too crazy. But since I was park hopping, I might as well ride the train!

I got in line for the HOGWARTS Express (@SarahDisney). I can’t believe that queue. You walk down one of the longest ramps ever… which was wet. I just about busted my… yeah. But then after you finish walking down the ramp, you climb stairs back up to the platform.

Anyway, by the time I finished my 15 mile hike to get there, a train was pulling in. There was hardly anyone waiting to board, so they apparently felt the need to cram us all into 2 rooms in one of the cars and leave the rest of them empty.

I really liked the train ride. It was neat how you could see things going on out the window and see silhouettes and hear conversation of Hermione, Ron and Harry in the hallway outside. I thought it was a great touch to bring everything together and definitely worth getting the 2 park ticket to experience it.

When we arrived at Kings Cross Station, I headed out to look for Gringotts. I decided that I needed to use the restroom first so I headed for the restrooms that sit between the Harry Potter area and the Fear Factor theater. This was my first time walking past the entrance to Diagon Alley. I finished up and headed back to find Escape from Gringotts. I noticed the dude in the window (help me out Potter fans) at 12 Grimmauld Place. I wanted to try to get a picture of him, but I clearly didn’t stick around long enough to see the curtain open again.

20160109_100032_1.jpg

I saw the Knight Bus, but didn’t really want to stand in line to interact there.

20160109_100024.jpg

I continued walking around looking for Gringotts and I saw a hallway that people were walking out of… ok, that’s the exit to the train station, right? I kept walking until I was no longer in London.

Well, what the hell???

I got my phone out and was looking at the park map on the app. Well, it’s gotta be right here somewhere.

I turned around and walked back. Again, I saw this opening in a wall. No, this can’t be it… this must be an exit, I haven’t seen anyone go in there and I’ve only seen people come out. I walked on down looking for… well, looking for anything until I ended up back in front of the restrooms again. I finally determined that I’m an idiot and it must be that cut out in the brick wall that I thought was some kind of an exit. I walked back and I was soon in Diagon Alley.

I went in and I really think Diagon Alley is even more impressive than Hogwarts. I love all the shops and how incredibly detailed all the theming is. I quickly found Gringotts once I was in there… I mean it is pretty hard to miss a fire breathing dragon on top of a building!

20160109_093318.jpg

The wait was posted at 45 minutes. I chose, instead, to get in the single rider line. I missed out on some of the queue elements, but I at least got to walk through the side of the bank lobby and see the goblin bank tellers at their stations.

It ended up only being about a 10 minute wait though, which more than made up for missing out on some of the queue elements. I was soon loaded in with a family that included a little girl who was maybe about 4 or 5. As soon as we took off, she freaked out!

We got through the first drop and a short segment of the ride. We had just rounded a corner when the ride came to a halt. They played some kind of an announcement, but we couldn’t hear it because they still had the sounds in the ride playing at full blast. At least it helped drown out this poor little girl who was crying hysterically and just wanted off the ride. We sat there for about 10 minutes. I had already started looking around trying to figure out how they’re going to get to us to evacuate the ride, but thankfully another announcement came on (I’m assuming to announce that the ride would be starting up) and then we were on our way.

All in all, I liked the ride. Although I really wish it was more roller coaster and animatronics and much, much less park you in front of a screen and shake you around. Despite watching the movies, making an effort and really wanting to fall in love with the Harry Potter attractions, I just really wasn’t feeling it.

I headed out and decided that instead of taking time to explore Diagon Alley now, I’d come back later. I wanted to move on while crowds were still somewhat low. I headed back to the Hogwarts Express and rode over to Hogsmeade.

This is where I first encountered “the Minions.” The Minions were a family who didn’t speak English as a first language. It was a multi-generational group of probably 20+ people wearing Minions shirts. I had the pleasure of being behind them in the queue. They weren’t horrible, but they felt the need to stop and take selfies approximately 5000 times on the way in. I’m just glad they missed the photo op at the entrance to platform 9 ¾. I can only imagine how long that would have taken to take individual pictures of everyone doing that and then more pictures in pairs or groups.

Thankfully I wasn’t in the same car as any of them, but when we exited the train there was no missing them. They were blocking the entire exit ramp taking pictures next to the engine. Other guests and TMs tried telling them they could get the same picture outside of the train station, but they were having none of it. Eventually, a crack in their armor formed and people started moving through their blockade and out the exit.

My next stop was Dragon Challenge. I’ve ridden this coaster before it was re-themed to Harry Potter. The last time I was here, it was closed that day so I was looking forward to riding it again with the “new” theming. The posted wait was only 10 minutes and there was a TM standing out in front with a megaphone basically saying if you enter the line with anything at all in your pocket, you’ll be sent back out.

Universal is so kind that they provide lockers for everyone to stash their valuables outside of the rides. However, they designed these areas when the only requirement was that you couldn’t take a bag in line with you. People like me who wore shorts with a pocket that you could zip were fine. Well now that everyone who has a wallet, keys, a cell phone or just anything at all has to use those lockers... Let’s just say inadequate doesn’t even begin to describe it. They don’t have enough lockers and nowhere near enough space to get people in and out of there.

It took me 15 minutes just to get to a locker for a queue that was essentially a walk on. I can’t even imagine how horrible it would be when the park gets busy.

I entered the queue and went through one of the metal detectors. Of course it goes off… I get pulled to the side to get wanded. I’m trying to tell him it is my frickin’ belt buckle, but the TM is accusing me of having something in my pocket. As this is going on, here come the Minions going right past me. It was at this point that I was starting to get fed up with Universal Studios.

I used to love going to Universal. I spent a week at Universal with friends about 10 years ago. We didn’t go to the Disney parks at all(although we visited DTD, the Boardwalk and Wide World of Sports), but we went to US or IoA every day and had a blast. I couldn’t even begin to count the number of times I rode Hulk, Dragon Challenge or the Mummy that week.

But their change to rides that rely so heavily on motion simulator technology and practically being strip searched to ride one of my favorite roller coasters wasn’t sitting well with me. I was starting to wish I had chosen to do something else with my day.

I went on in and I chose the Hungarian Horntail coaster. It was literally a walk on once I finally convinced the rent a cop with a wand that it was my belt buckle and not something in my pocket or tucked behind my waistband. The TM at the loading platform assigned me to a row. I was placed in a row at the middle of the train. The Minions were already in there and were assigned in a few rows toward the back. Apparently, they decided that wasn’t what they wanted and about 8 of them left their assigned spots and got in line for the row in front of mine.

The TM tried to explain that they wouldn’t get to ride together if they all wait in the same row, but he quickly just gave up and assigned other guests to fill in the rows that they had vacated.

It was a fun ride, as it usually is. The theming change there is noticeable, although it doesn’t really impact the ride from what I remember it being before. My plan was originally to just jump back in line and ride the other side as well. But I was feeling frustrated and things seemed to be taking a little longer than I had expected up to this point. I had other rides I wanted to get in and only a limited amount of time to do it so I decided to move on.

I probably spent another 10 minutes or so at the exit trying to get back to my locker and get my things. That’s just a guess though. Kind of hard to tell time when your phone is locked in a locker.

On my way out of Hogsmeade, I stopped by the restroom. I noticed you could hear Moaning Myrtle in there. I appreciated this detail that they included in the park. I thought it was a nice touch and it was definitely something I wouldn’t have picked up on if I hadn’t watched the movies.

I just kept having these contrasting feelings. I’d get fed up and frustrated with the way Universal operates… and then I’d discover some new detail that would really just impress me. As much as I’m bashing Universal on some of these things, their attention to detail is just incredible, and regardless of how I feel about their stupid metal detectors, it is definitely worth checking it all out at least once.

20160109_105138.jpg

I headed on over to the Jurassic Park area. I really love this part of the park and always enjoy the ride. I took a little time to check out the new Raptor Encounter (I didn’t wait in line, I just observed others doing it from the walkway) and I went into the Discovery Center to explore for a little bit.

20160109_105606.jpg

20160109_105623.jpg

I had purchased the Express Pass and this was the first ride that I actually felt the need to use it on, so I did. I entered the line and I was in a boat in a matter of minutes. There were also a few others assigned to my row as well. They were all girls maybe in their late teens or early twenties who apparently must be related to the wicked witch of the West. Based on the way they were acting I have to think that any contact with water must be fatal to them. They had ponchos on and were trying to use the lap bar hold the bottom of them down and form a water tight seal.

Yes… think a couple of girls who are maybe 5’4” at the most trying to pin the lap bar as tight as possible as they can against their legs.

And they’re using the same lap bar as a guy who is 6’3”.

They slammed it down on my leg 3 or 4 times before I braced my leg under it and just held it up. The lap bar was locked, obviously, but there were just a few inches of wiggle room that was just in between clicks, I guess. I can understand them doing it once, but the fact that they kept trying to push it down was just grinding on me. I was already frustrated after Dragon Challenge and the locker ordeal and following that up with this was just about to get on my last nerve.

When we got to the T-Rex, they tried once again to arrange the bottom of their ponchos underneath the bar and push it down snugly over the ponchos. I relaxed my leg and let it come down. At this point they were huddled over the top of the bar and it was basically cutting off the circulation in my legs.

I really can’t explain it, but just before we started down the hill something happened and my leg must have spasmed a little bit. It caused the bar to abruptly come back up a few inches and they were sitting upright for the splash. Oops. Sorry about that. :rolleyes1

I left the Jurassic era and checked out what I could see of the new Skull Island area as I passed.

20160109_111323.jpg

It really looks like it will be a nice addition to the park. I’m sure it will have some high tech video screens and shake you around pretty good when it opens.

I headed for Spiderman and I was finally starting to appreciate the fact that I paid for the Express Pass. The wait was posted at 45 minutes. I gave them my pass and I waited maybe 10 minutes to ride. I paid close attention to the Single Rider line as it went through a room with the Express Pass line shortly before boarding and I definitely moved through there a whole lot faster than the Single Riders.

I had finished everything I wanted to do in IoA so I considered riding the Hogwarts Express back to US. But I just had to go see one thing. I knew the Hulk was closed for a refurb. I’d already come to terms that I couldn’t ride it and I was pretty disappointed. But I noticed that I couldn’t see the track from anywhere in the park so I thought I’d get closer and see the extent of the construction.

Holy crap! There’s nothing there, except for the station and the initial launch tube. The rest of the track is gone!

20160109_114250.jpg

The last time I rode it in 2012, I don’t remember it being really rough or anything. I knew it was undergoing an extensive refurb, but to tear down the whole track??? I’m kind of concerned by this. I hope they stick with basically the same layout for the coaster. If they add one of their patented video screen/motion features to this one I might be done with Universal for good.

I walked on out through the front of the park and headed for Universal Studios. It was already after 11. I was starting to feel hungry, but there were still a lot of rides to get to!

The Contest – again, I’ve plugged points and step counts into a spreadsheet as I read through your posts. I’m not re-posting everyone’s guesses, but if you think I’ve missed some points let me know!

1. We’ll leave the step count open until the day is complete.

2. I had breakfast at Cinnabon. And I didn’t get there yet but I had second breakfast at Lard Lad. (5 pts)

3. I had to deal with a problem with DD’s airline ticket. (20 pts) Awarded 10 – 20 for references to travel or airline problems for DW and DD.

4. The Minions (5 pts)

5. I walked past Diagon Alley once on the way to the restroom and then twice while actually looking for it. 5 points if you guessed 2 or 3.

6. Escape from Gringotts broke down (5 pts)

7. They slammed the lap bar into my leg. Repeatedly! (10 pts)

8. I rode Hogwarts Express between the parks twice (5 pts)

9. Seeing the Hulk completely gutted and essentially razed to the ground made me sad. (20 points)

Bonus Points:

FantasiaMagic – For taking a “subtle” hint

Vrajewski10513 – Cinnabon (first breakfast)

Natebenma – Cinnabon (first breakfast), extra Beach Club research

Pkondz – For licking frozen flagpoles

Captain_Oblivious – Because I totally should have creeper photobombed the Minions

SarahDisney – Calling me out on the Hogwarts Express

Totals for this round:

Gracefulskinny 50

pkondz 50

vrajewski10513 50

Captain_Oblivious 45

Chillitsanne 45

Natebenma 45

SarahDisney 40

Franandaj 40

ashw100 40

jandlinz 35

cindianne 320 35

Terra Nova Guy 35

amazingact21 35

6travel 30

FantasiaMagic 30

ursalita 30

Dugette 25

SoccerDogWithEars 25

Overall Leaderboard:

jandlinz 106

Gracefulskinny 93

SarahDisney 89

Captain_Oblivious 85

pkondz 81

chillitsanne 76

franandaj 72

vrajewski10513 72

cindianne 320 65

6travel 61

Terra Nova Guy 49

FantasiaMagic 47

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes 46

Dugette 45

amazingact21 45

natebenma 45

SoccerDogWithEars 44

ashw100 40

ursalita 30

Questions for the next update:

1. How many steps did I have today? If you answered before the last update, I have it down already. Only answer again if you want to change your answer.

2. Which character meet fascinated me? (10 points)

3. I indicated that I had kind of a second breakfast at Lard Lad. Which of these did I get: The Big Pink, D’oh-nuts or Apple Fritter? (5 points)

4. What was my favorite shop in Diagon Alley? (10 points)

5. What was my last ride before leaving the park? (20 points)

6. I wanted to stop for a hurricane at a favorite bar of mine on the way out of CityWalk. I failed to research that it wouldn’t open until a couple of hours after I had to leave. Can you guess where I was trying to go? (20 points)

7. Was my hotel ready when I arrived to check in? (5 points)

8. Did I take pictures of the room? (10 points)

9. Our hotel was attached to the Convention Center by a skywalk. What was the distance in tenths and hundredths of a mile from the hotel lobby to the registration desk in the Convention Center? – points awarded based on how close guesses are

I want to thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Some of you know what is going on, and while I still don’t want to share everything on a public forum, I’ll share a little bit. We have discovered a problem with the baby. It isn’t anything that can be dealt with now. As far as being in womb goes, DW and the baby are fine, but the baby is going to need some extra care when born. Right now all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

I was getting ready to go get some breakfast when I got a call from DW. She was getting online to print boarding passes for their flight Sunday morning when she noticed that DD’s middle name was wrong on the ticket. She has a hyphenated middle name and since that is what it says on her birth certificate, we wanted to make sure it matched. Even though we didn’t need to have ID for her to fly, we wanted to be sure the ticket matched any database that the TSA might be checking tickets against. I tried to get online to see if I could modify the ticket and I was unable to do anything. So I ended up calling Delta and chatting with them for a while. They checked everything out and said that their ticketing system won’t recognize hyphens but we should be good to go.

That's not a big deal at all.
I use my full name (first and middle) when I fly, and my boarding pass will sometimes have it as one name, whereas my IDs all have it as two separate names. It's not a problem. As long as its the same parts of the name, I don't think a hyphen or a space or whatnot will make a difference.

When I arrived at the entrance to Citywalk, they had 4 metal detectors set up. I proceeded to empty my pockets, walked through and it went off. They pulled me to the side and wanded me. Apparently my belt buckle had set it off.

That's like my worst nightmare. I mean, really? A belt buckle? That's what sets off your metal detector?
There are probably people who wear jewelry that's more dangerous than a belt buckle. But the belt buckle is what sets it off.
This seems kinda stupid.

Same. I wore my belt through the medal detector at Disney and didn't set it off. So clearly Disney metal detectors are less crazy than the ones at Universal.

I love this picture.
I mean, I love Hogsmeade in general, but this picture really reminds me of how beautiful it truly is.

I entered the castle and walked through the queue. Many of the things I was impressed with the first time, I found more impressive this time since I actually knew what they were!

Yay! So I guess it's a good thing you watched the movies.

The broom sequences still got to me. They were maybe not quite as bad as I remembered from the first time, but I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to go through another by the end of the ride. The Kuka arm technology that gets so much credit just seems overrated to me. I mean, yes, it is impressive how it moves and works. I can’t argue that.

So ... this makes me sad. The broom sequences are my favorite part.
But I can see how if you're not enjoying those parts and you don't have the emotional connection to Harry Potter than some people (like me) may have, it might not be so fun. Especially if you have some motion sensitivity. I guess it's not for everyone.

I know a lot of people love this one. And I hate to bash it. It is a good ride. I’m sure I’ll ride it again. But once a trip is more than enough for me.

I get this. I don't agree (at least for myself ... I'd ride it a million times if I could), but I understand it. Everyone has some rides that they don't feel a need to do more than once per trip.

I got in line for the HOGWARTS Express (@SarahDisney).

I won't apologize for being a Potter fanatic.

I really liked the train ride. It was neat how you could see things going on out the window and see silhouettes and hear conversation of Hermione, Ron and Harry in the hallway outside. I thought it was a great touch to bring everything together and definitely worth getting the 2 park ticket to experience it.

Oh, you just made me really excited to do it. And sad that I have no idea when I will make it to Universal. But mostly excited.

I noticed the dude in the window (help me out Potter fans) at 12 Grimmauld Place. I wanted to try to get a picture of him, but I clearly didn’t stick around long enough to see the curtain open again.

Having never been there, I don't know who's supposed to be in the window. There are a few options ... it could be Sirius Black (although he's dead), it could be Kreacher the house-elf ... I'd need a picture to tell you. So ... fail, Andy. Fail.

I turned around and walked back. Again, I saw this opening in a wall. No, this can’t be it… this must be an exit, I haven’t seen anyone go in there and I’ve only seen people come out. I walked on down looking for… well, looking for anything until I ended up back in front of the restrooms again. I finally determined that I’m an idiot and it must be that cut out in the brick wall that I thought was some kind of an exit. I walked back and I was soon in Diagon Alley.

The wall behind the Leaky Cauldron opens and you go in the entrance in the wall. Seriously, first movie. Come on, Andy, you're killing me here!

I went in and I really think Diagon Alley is even more impressive than Hogwarts.

Man, I really need to go there!!!

We got through the first drop and a short segment of the ride. We had just rounded a corner when the ride came to a halt. They played some kind of an announcement, but we couldn’t hear it because they still had the sounds in the ride playing at full blast. At least it helped drown out this poor little girl who was crying hysterically and just wanted off the ride. We sat there for about 10 minutes. I had already started looking around trying to figure out how they’re going to get to us to evacuate the ride, but thankfully another announcement came on (I’m assuming to announce that the ride would be starting up) and then we were on our way.

Apparently this ride breaks down pretty frequently. From what I hear, your experience is not at all uncommon.
Go figure.

Despite watching the movies, making an effort and really wanting to fall in love with the Harry Potter attractions, I just really wasn’t feeling it.

I think it's a lot easier to love the attractions if you loved the movies independent of the parks. If you watched the movies just because you were going to the parks (as you did), I could see why you may not have the same love of the area.

This is where I first encountered “the Minions.” The Minions were a family who didn’t speak English as a first language. It was a multi-generational group of probably 20+ people wearing Minions shirts. I had the pleasure of being behind them in the queue. They weren’t horrible, but they felt the need to stop and take selfies approximately 5000 times on the way in. I’m just glad they missed the photo op at the entrance to platform 9 ¾. I can only imagine how long that would have taken to take individual pictures of everyone doing that and then more pictures in pairs or groups.

These sound like fun people. Really.
I'm all for family trips, but ... people, not every combination of family members needs to be in every picture!

It took me 15 minutes just to get to a locker for a queue that was essentially a walk on. I can’t even imagine how horrible it would be when the park gets busy.

We encountered the lockers twice: Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge. Both times we had a backpack. Both times we had to wait 5-10 minutes to get a locker.
But this was pre-metal detectors, so people were still going through with things in their pockets. The system was designed for the old way, not the metal detecor era.

Kind of hard to tell time when your phone is locked in a locker.

When did people stop wearing watches?
Seriously, I've noticed this. When I want to know what time it is, I look at my watch. I'm apparently the only one.

I just kept having these contrasting feelings. I’d get fed up and frustrated with the way Universal operates… and then I’d discover some new detail that would really just impress me. As much as I’m bashing Universal on some of these things, their attention to detail is just incredible, and regardless of how I feel about their stupid metal detectors, it is definitely worth checking it all out at least once.

I think this is how some people feel about Disney too. Everything has its pluses and minuses. But it's worth trying to see if you like it enough to overcome the negatives.

They were all girls maybe in their late teens or early twenties who apparently must be related to the wicked witch of the West. Based on the way they were acting I have to think that any contact with water must be fatal to them.

As someone who's only a little bit older than that ... yes. Contact with water is fatal.
Unless you're washing your hair.

Yes… think a couple of girls who are maybe 5’4” at the most trying to pin the lap bar as tight as possible as they can against their legs.

As someone who has lap bar issues ... I think theme park people need to learn to organize rows by height. When there's a shared lap bar, you can't have people with drastically different heights. It just doesn't work.
Or maybe we can make you tall people wait on a different line...

I really can’t explain it, but just before we started down the hill something happened and my leg must have spasmed a little bit. It caused the bar to abruptly come back up a few inches and they were sitting upright for the splash. Oops. Sorry about that. :rolleyes1

Are you? Are you sorry about it?
Or do you think they got what they deserved?

Holy crap! There’s nothing there, except for the station and the initial launch tube. The rest of the track is gone!

They're completely rebuilding the track. I don't remember whether the layout will change or if they're putting in a new track with the same layout. I actually have heard a lot about what's going on with the refurb, but I've since forgotten most of it. At my age you can't be expected to remember such things.

SarahDisney – Calling me out on the Hogwarts Express

It's always nice when being a Potter nerd gets me something.

Overall Leaderboard:

jandlinz 106

Gracefulskinny 93

SarahDisney 89

I know you don't think it counts, but I'm happy with top 3.
I just have to up my game if I want to stay in the top 3.

Hmm ... I'm going to go with Transformers.

3. I indicated that I had kind of a second breakfast at Lard Lad. Which of these did I get: The Big Pink, D’oh-nuts or Apple Fritter? (5 points)

This is a hard one for me because I despise the Simpsons. But I'm gonna go with D’oh-nuts.

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
Because who doesn't love a good joke shop.

The Simpsons Ride

6. I wanted to stop for a hurricane at a favorite bar of mine on the way out of CityWalk. I failed to research that it wouldn’t open until a couple of hours after I had to leave. Can you guess where I was trying to go? (20 points)

Pat O'Brien's. Because I think Hurricane is a New Orleans drink and I think that's a New Orleans bar.

Nope.

No, because it wasn't ready yet.

9. Our hotel was attached to the Convention Center by a skywalk. What was the distance in tenths and hundredths of a mile from the hotel lobby to the registration desk in the Convention Center? – points awarded based on how close guesses are

0.75 miles. Because half a mile is too short of a walk and a full mile is too long.

I want to thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Some of you know what is going on, and while I still don’t want to share everything on a public forum, I’ll share a little bit. We have discovered a problem with the baby. It isn’t anything that can be dealt with now. As far as being in womb goes, DW and the baby are fine, but the baby is going to need some extra care when born. Right now all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

Oh man, I was hoping it wasn't something like this. I hope everything works out okay and when the time comes, the baby can get the care it needs.

2. Which character meet fascinated me? (10 points) Transformers

3. I indicated that I had kind of a second breakfast at Lard Lad. Which of these did I get: The Big Pink, D’oh-nuts or Apple Fritter? (5 points) Apple Fritter

4. What was my favorite shop in Diagon Alley? (10 points) Ollivanders

5. What was my last ride before leaving the park? (20 points) The Mummy

Pat O'Brien's (sidenote- we had dinner here last time we were at CityWalk- never knew it existed before then!)

7. Was my hotel ready when I arrived to check in? (5 points) Yes!

8. Did I take pictures of the room? (10 points) Yes!

9. Our hotel was attached to the Convention Center by a skywalk. What was the distance in tenths and hundredths of a mile from the hotel lobby to the registration desk in the Convention Center? – points awarded based on how close guesses are 0.4 miles

That is awesome!

I'm doing my best to stay in the game but I have never been to US so this is really hard.

2. Transformers

3. Apple Fritter

4. One that sells stuff

7. No

8. No

9. .56

That's not a big deal at all.
I use my full name (first and middle) when I fly, and my boarding pass will sometimes have it as one name, whereas my IDs all have it as two separate names. It's not a problem. As long as its the same parts of the name, I don't think a hyphen or a space or whatnot will make a difference.
She was concerned about it and I just wanted to make sure to double check so that we could eliminate all potential variables that could cause her any problems.

That's like my worst nightmare. I mean, really? A belt buckle? That's what sets off your metal detector?
There are probably people who wear jewelry that's more dangerous than a belt buckle. But the belt buckle is what sets it off.
This seems kinda stupid.
Oh yeah... it was a little over the top. They'd wand me it's like they still thought I was sneaking something in behind it. I understand the need for security, but really?

Same. I wore my belt through the medal detector at Disney and didn't set it off. So clearly Disney metal detectors are less crazy than the ones at Universal.
::yes::

I love this picture.
I mean, I love Hogsmeade in general, but this picture really reminds me of how beautiful it truly is.
I should have taken more pictures of it. With the foggy haze around everything, it made it all look just that more authentic with all the snow on the roofs.

Yay! So I guess it's a good thing you watched the movies.

So ... this makes me sad. The broom sequences are my favorite part.
But I can see how if you're not enjoying those parts and you don't have the emotional connection to Harry Potter than some people (like me) may have, it might not be so fun. Especially if you have some motion sensitivity. I guess it's not for everyone.
I did enjoy them to a point. I just don't know what it is... I think the screen is concave for these scenes? That must be the element of it that really screws with me on this ride because it definitely effects me more than most other simulator type attractions.

I get this. I don't agree (at least for myself ... I'd ride it a million times if I could), but I understand it. Everyone has some rides that they don't feel a need to do more than once per trip.
The first time I rode it, I was more impressed with the detail in the queue. I have to say that I still feel that way. The queue is spectacular! I love walking through the dark arts room seeing the portraits, but it feels to me like they put more detail into the queue than the ride itself. I mean really... the giant spiders and dementors aren't exactly the most impressive AA's I've ever seen on a ride.

I won't apologize for being a Potter fanatic.
And I wouldn't expect you to!

Oh, you just made me really excited to do it. And sad that I have no idea when I will make it to Universal. But mostly excited.
I'm sure you'll love it!

Having never been there, I don't know who's supposed to be in the window. There are a few options ... it could be Sirius Black (although he's dead), it could be Kreacher the house-elf ... I'd need a picture to tell you. So ... fail, Andy. Fail.
I'm really not sure. I just kind of caught a glimpse as the curtain closed, but I know others on the Dis have seen it and likely know more. Could have been Kreacher, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sirius Black.

The wall behind the Leaky Cauldron opens and you go in the entrance in the wall. Seriously, first movie. Come on, Andy, you're killing me here!
I might have phrased it wrong, but the Leaky Cauldron is actually "in" Diagon Alley at Universal. It is tucked back behind the London façade and you enter through a non-descript opening to get there.

Man, I really need to go there!!!
::yes:: It was really cool. Especially Knockturn Alley. I was shocked that they were allowed to make it that dark out of safety concerns!

Apparently this ride breaks down pretty frequently. From what I hear, your experience is not at all uncommon.
Go figure.
::yes:: I've heard the same.

I think it's a lot easier to love the attractions if you loved the movies independent of the parks. If you watched the movies just because you were going to the parks (as you did), I could see why you may not have the same love of the area.
I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, that is true. But I didn't hate the movies. I actually really liked the last couple of them. So I felt like I got the whole appeal of it all. The rides just didn't quite do it for me as much as Diagon Alley and the queue through Hogwarts. You'll see later that another movie franchise that I really do enjoy had an attraction that kind of got a similar reaction.

These sound like fun people. Really.
I'm all for family trips, but ... people, not every combination of family members needs to be in every picture!
No kidding.

We encountered the lockers twice: Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge. Both times we had a backpack. Both times we had to wait 5-10 minutes to get a locker.
But this was pre-metal detectors, so people were still going through with things in their pockets. The system was designed for the old way, not the metal detecor era.
Yeah... they just don't even come close to having the capacity to handle the volume that they're running through the locker areas now. There was even a roped off queue set up to get in there... yet for the most part it was ignored and the locker area was a shoulder to shoulder free for all. They had 4 TM's standing at the entrance to tell you to go to the lockers and empty your pockets, yet they couldn't spare a TM to try to maintain order and get people into and out of the locker area efficiently. Clearly, this ticked me off.

When did people stop wearing watches?
Seriously, I've noticed this. When I want to know what time it is, I look at my watch. I'm apparently the only one.
I actually do. But I don't tend to wear one when I'm going to theme parks or really doing something where I'm active. In fact, my watch has a stainless steel band. I don't know what they'd have done if I went through the queue with it on my wrist.

I think this is how some people feel about Disney too. Everything has its pluses and minuses. But it's worth trying to see if you like it enough to overcome the negatives.
Absolutely.

As someone who's only a little bit older than that ... yes. Contact with water is fatal.
Unless you're washing your hair.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As someone who has lap bar issues ... I think theme park people need to learn to organize rows by height. When there's a shared lap bar, you can't have people with drastically different heights. It just doesn't work.
Or maybe we can make you tall people wait on a different line...
Or maybe just not have a lap bar that goes across all 4 seats in the row.

Are you? Are you sorry about it?
Or do you think they got what they deserved?
No comment. :rolleyes1

They're completely rebuilding the track. I don't remember whether the layout will change or if they're putting in a new track with the same layout. I actually have heard a lot about what's going on with the refurb, but I've since forgotten most of it. At my age you can't be expected to remember such things.
I've heard some about it... but I took a lot of it to be rumors. The entire removal of all the track is a pretty extreme refurb.

It's always nice when being a Potter nerd gets me something.
:rotfl2::rotfl:

I know you don't think it counts, but I'm happy with top 3.
I just have to up my game if I want to stay in the top 3.
:thumbsup2 Hey, you're doing great. But I've got to give you crap about it.

Hmm ... I'm going to go with Transformers.

This is a hard one for me because I despise the Simpsons. But I'm gonna go with D’oh-nuts.

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
Because who doesn't love a good joke shop.

The Simpsons Ride

Pat O'Brien's. Because I think Hurricane is a New Orleans drink and I think that's a New Orleans bar.

No, because it wasn't ready yet.

0.75 miles. Because half a mile is too short of a walk and a full mile is too long.
Got em!

Oh man, I was hoping it wasn't something like this. I hope everything works out okay and when the time comes, the baby can get the care it needs.
Thank you

@cindianne320 - Couldn't quote, but I got your answers too!

The first time I rode it, I was more impressed with the detail in the queue. I have to say that I still feel that way. The queue is spectacular!

The queue is amazing, that's an inarguable fact. I'm a big fan of Disney and Disney queues, but this queue beats anything they have at Disney, hands down.

I might have phrased it wrong, but the Leaky Cauldron is actually "in" Diagon Alley at Universal. It is tucked back behind the London façade and you enter through a non-descript opening to get there.

In the actual Harry Potter universe, the Leaky Cauldron is in London, and the entrance to Diagon Alley is behind the Leaky Cauldron. From what I understand, it's kinda reversed at Universal Studios. There's some explanation for it, but I can't remember what it is.
But the whole point is that you're not supposed to be able to see Diagon Alley from London. That's why it's so well hidden.

I actually do. But I don't tend to wear one when I'm going to theme parks or really doing something where I'm active. In fact, my watch has a stainless steel band. I don't know what they'd have done if I went through the queue with it on my wrist.

I sometimes go through the airport metal detectors with my watch on, so I can't imagine it being a big problem.
But then again ... my watch has a plastic band and very little metal. And we've already established that the Universal metal detectors are crazy.

I've heard some about it... but I took a lot of it to be rumors. The entire removal of all the track is a pretty extreme refurb.

I'm actually really curious to see what happens to it. I know they're getting new ride vehicles, so I'm really wondering how much this ride is going to change. It may be an entirely different ride when it reopens.

:thumbsup2 Hey, you're doing great. But I've got to give you crap about it.

Understandable.

They checked everything out and said that their ticketing system won’t recognize hyphens but we should be good to go.

I don’t remember if it had a hyphen on her ticket when we flew to California last year or not, but I know we didn’t have any problems on that trip.

Congratulations. Your daughter is now on a terrorist watch list.

This began my frustration with Universal Studios and their #@#$ metal detectors. Look, I understand the need for security. I get it. But I think they’ve got them cranked up to find somebody trying to sneak in with a paper clip in their pocket.

Excuse me, sir, I am going to need to remove that filling from your teeth. Open wide. (grabs pliers)

I stopped on the way in and grabbed a cinnamon roll and a bottle of water from the Cinnabon in CityWalk and I took them with me to eat while I was waiting on IoA to open.

But you said Lard Lad later. Are you sure it wasn't the same place?

It was a hazy morning, and it really made the entire area look even more amazing.

That really does add to the theme, doesn't it?:thumbsup2

But really, it’s a dark ride with a larger range of motion and motion simulator scenes that shake the crap out of you. And those Dementors look like something my 6 year old could have made in his Kindergarten art class. It just doesn’t do much for me.

So...keep expectations in check, I guess?

But then after you finish walking down the ramp, you climb stairs back up to the platform.

Wait, what?

There was hardly anyone waiting to board, so they apparently felt the need to cram us all into 2 rooms in one of the cars and leave the rest of them empty.

Wait, what?

I noticed the dude in the window (help me out Potter fans) at 12 Grimmauld Place. I wanted to try to get a picture of him, but I clearly didn’t stick around long enough to see the curtain open again.

Ok, I've seen the movies, and I'm drawing a blank on this. Maybe I should have paid more attention.

I finally determined that I’m an idiot

Finally? We could have helped you figure that out.

I walked back and I was soon in Diagon Alley.

Well, at least you didn't stoop to asking for directions. Go ahead and keep the Man Card, but we're watching you.

I mean it is pretty hard to miss a fire breathing dragon on top of a building!

:rolleyes1

I was soon loaded in with a family that included a little girl who was maybe about 4 or 5. As soon as we took off, she freaked out!

Hooray! Sounds magical.

At least it helped drown out this poor little girl who was crying hysterically and just wanted off the ride. We sat there for about 10 minutes.

Yep, pixie dust all around. Maybe you got sprinkled with Dark Arts dust instead.

Although I really wish it was more roller coaster and animatronics and much, much less park you in front of a screen and shake you around.

Well, as long as it's only one ride like that, you can probably tough it out. So overall how intense is Gringotts? I will need to prepare for how my kids will react someday.

Despite watching the movies, making an effort and really wanting to fall in love with the Harry Potter attractions, I just really wasn’t feeling it.

I think Star Wars is for us what Harry Potter is for the next generation. We can appreciate the storytelling but we weren't in that pre-teen sweet spot where it just feels like a new world.

They weren’t horrible, but they felt the need to stop and take selfies approximately 5000 times on the way in.

Just shoot me now. Here's our wide foreheads and nose hairs with a blurry part of a train in the background!

They were blocking the entire exit ramp taking pictures next to the engine. Other guests and TMs tried telling them they could get the same picture outside of the train station, but they were having none of it.

Time for a cropdusting, methinks.

The posted wait was only 10 minutes and there was a TM standing out in front with a megaphone basically saying if you enter the line with anything at all in your pocket, you’ll be sent back out.

What about this lint?:confused3

People like me who wore shorts with a pocket that you could zip were fine. Well now that everyone who has a wallet, keys, a cell phone or just anything at all has to use those lockers... Let’s just say inadequate doesn’t even begin to describe it. They don’t have enough lockers and nowhere near enough space to get people in and out of there.

This just sounds insane. Is every ride like that?

I’m trying to tell him it is my frickin’ belt buckle, but the TM is accusing me of having something in my pocket

Oh, I guess there's also this hand grenade. My bad.

But their change to rides that rely so heavily on motion simulator technology and practically being strip searched to ride one of my favorite roller coasters wasn’t sitting well with me. I was starting to wish I had chosen to do something else with my day.

Uh oh. You're not making me want to visit. And I know my daughter is going to force me to go.

Well, there's that, at least. The theming does look pretty amazing.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I’m sure it will have some high tech video screens and shake you around pretty good when it opens.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Just a wild guess?

I headed for Spiderman and I was finally starting to appreciate the fact that I paid for the Express Pass.

Oh, good! A ride with high-tech video screens that shakes you around pretty good.

Wow, that is quite the "refurb".

If they add one of their patented video screen/motion features to this one I might be done with Universal for good.

:sad2: Who needs a track, anyway?

1. How many steps did I have today? If you answered before the last update, I have it down already. Only answer again if you want to change your answer.

I can't even remember what I answered, so I guess I might as well keep it.

I'm starting to feel handicapped here because I have no idea what characters are at Universal, the names of the shops, etc. They have a Transformers ride, right? I'll say Transformers.

D'oh-nuts, just because I love me some Homer.

You really are going to make me Google this, aren't you? Be right back.

(googling...)

Sounds like Weasley's Wizard Wheezes has all the practical joke stuff, so that seems like a winner.

The Mummy. Or something with a high-tech video screen that shakes you around pretty good.

Aw, come on! I just closed the Google window!

(googling...)

Well, obviously it's Pat O'Brien's. I mean, duh. Everybody knows that.

Uh...sure, I guess.

No. Because you're a guy.

0.56 miles.

We have discovered a problem with the baby. It isn’t anything that can be dealt with now. As far as being in womb goes, DW and the baby are fine, but the baby is going to need some extra care when born. Right now all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

Just praying that things will improve in the womb, and that you will have the best of care.

Wow, those metal detectors do sound very frustrating. Like so many people wear belts - men and women - I can't imagine how many people had issues when there...it's good you went at a pretty non-crowded time.
Which is why Disney is better!:rotfl::thumbsup2;););)
Yum, cinnamon rolls!:goodvibes
First up was a visit to Hogsmeade to ride the Forbidden Journey. This was my second time to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter there. The first time, I thought all the theming was cool, but I didn’t really know what anything was. A few weeks before my trip, I saw ABC Family running a marathon of the movies so I DVRed them and managed to watch all 8 movies right before my trip. I was excited to get back to the Wizarding World and see it all again now that I might understand more of what I was seeing.
That is a great idea! I have only been to Universal once, for like a 1/2 day and it was like 11 years ago, but I really want to go back. Between your TR with pictures, and others I have seen the whole Harry Potter part really looks cool. I have never really read the books/seen the movies, so I would probably want to do the same to fully understand what I'm seeing.
I got on and gave Forbidden Journey another chance, excited to see how great this ride is now that it actually makes sense to me.

Sorry you weren't feeling in - I guess it's one of those rides that are personal preference.

The train ride does sound awesome! Even though they make you pay more to experience it - I would totally get the 2 park ticket to be able to do it!! Sorry you were a little squished though.
Universal is so kind that they provide lockers for everyone to stash their valuables outside of the rides. However, they designed these areas when the only requirement was that you couldn’t take a bag in line with you. People like me who wore shorts with a pocket that you could zip were fine. Well now that everyone who has a wallet, keys, a cell phone or just anything at all has to use those lockers... Let’s just say inadequate doesn’t even begin to describe it. They don’t have enough lockers and nowhere near enough space to get people in and out of there.
I have heard about the locker thing, that sounds so annoying. Like I get they don't want things flying out of pockets, but if you have zippers I don't see the problem! Disney lets you bring pretty much anything on a ride:rotfl:
I entered the queue and went through one of the metal detectors. Of course it goes off… I get pulled to the side to get wanded. I’m trying to tell him it is my frickin’ belt buckle, but the TM is accusing me of having something in my pocket. As this is going on, here come the Minions going right past me. It was at this point that I was starting to get fed up with Universal Studios.
WOW, I would be fed up too...and those darn Minions...wow with those bright yellow shirts, I bet you were able to spot them from a mile away:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

20160109_105138.jpg
Yeah, details like that castle make it seem worth it. It looks so lifelike! The Universal "Imagineers" really did do a good job.

They slammed it down on my leg 3 or 4 times before I braced my leg under it and just held it up. The lap bar was locked, obviously, but there were just a few inches of wiggle room that was just in between clicks, I guess. I can understand them doing it once, but the fact that they kept trying to push it down was just grinding on me. I was already frustrated after Dragon Challenge and the locker ordeal and following that up with this was just about to get on my last nerve.
Oh my gosh I would be really frustrated too...:confused3 I apologize for people my age...we can be very annoying:sad2:

I'm actually doing better at this game then I thought I was!:woohoo::rotfl2:
Well, I'm going to guess it's not the Minions:laughing:...
Spiderman? Or some type of superhero?
The Big Pink.
The chocolate shop where you can get the chocolate frog??
Spiderman?
Pat O'Brien's? :rolleyes1
No.
No.
.567 of a mile.
Andy, I am really sorry. I will keep you and your DW in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh wow! :thumbsup2

end of the ride. The Kuka arm technology that gets so much credit just seems overrated to me. I mean, yes, it is impressive how it moves and works. I can’t argue that.

And this is what it comes down to for me really why I just can't bring myself to spend time or money on universal.

I noticed the dude in the window (help me out Potter fans) at 12 Grimmauld Place.
The House elf in the window is called Kreacher.

finally determined that I’m an idiot and it must be that cut out in the brick wall that I thought was some kind of an exit. I walked back and I was soon in Diagon Alley.
:rotfl::rotfl2:

I really can't blame you. I'm a big potter fan and I can't bring myself to bother to go see any of the potter stuff because $150 per person just for me to walk around and see things and not even be able to ride just doesn't make any sense.

The Minions were a family who didn’t speak English as a first language.
uh oh....

It was a multi-generational group of probably 20+ people wearing Minions shirts.
oh boy!

They weren’t horrible, but they felt the need to stop and take selfies approximately 5000 times on the way in.
:headache:

I’m just glad they missed the photo op at the entrance to platform 9 ¾. I can only imagine how long that would have taken to take individual pictures of everyone doing that and then more pictures in pairs or groups.
:rotfl2::rolleyes2

I entered the queue and went through one of the metal detectors.
wait WHAT?!? WHY?!?! This is seriously excessive! :sad2: no thank you.

As this is going on, here come the Minions going right past me.
Noooooooo!!!!!

But their change to rides that rely so heavily on motion simulator technology and practically being strip searched to ride one of my favorite roller coasters wasn’t sitting well with me.
What a waste.

I was starting to wish I had chosen to do something else with my day.
How unfortunate.

On my way out of Hogsmeade, I stopped by the restroom. I noticed you could hear Moaning Myrtle in there.
Okay that is a nice touch. Not enough to make me want to drop $150 on a single ticket nice but still... nice.

it was definitely something I wouldn’t have picked up on if I hadn’t watched the movies.
:rotfl2: What would your thoughts had been if you had heard a girl crying in the dudes restroom? :rotfl:

regardless of how I feel about their stupid metal detectors, it is definitely worth checking it all out at least once.
Meh.... Not when I wouldn't ever be able to ride anything without serious motion sickness issues.

They were all girls maybe in their late teens or early twenties who apparently must be related to the wicked witch of the West. Based on the way they were acting I have to think that any contact with water must be fatal to them. They had ponchos on and were trying to use the lap bar hold the bottom of them down and form a water tight seal.

:faint: Yuck!

They slammed it down on my leg 3 or 4 times before I braced my leg under it and just held it up.
And you didn't give them dirty looks or say anything?:confused3

When we got to the T-Rex, they tried once again to arrange the bottom of their ponchos underneath the bar and push it down snugly over the ponchos. I relaxed my leg and let it come down. At this point they were huddled over the top of the bar and it was basically cutting off the circulation in my legs.
:eek: Obnoxious! and I am surprised you still didn't say anything!

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:
giphy.gif

I’m sure it will have some high tech video screens and shake you around pretty good when it opens.

20160109_114250.jpg
:eek: That's a bit more than a referb!

I knew it was undergoing an extensive refurb
Maybe its just a removal.

If they add one of their patented video screen/motion features to this one I might be done with Universal for good.
:sad2: are you sure it WILL reopen? I thought I heard a rumor somewhere that Universal's contract on Marvel stuff is coming up and they aren't renewing it and are changing it to something else. I however am so not a universal person so I couldn't tell you how accurate that rumor is.

Gracefulskinny 50
:thumbsup2

Gracefulskinny 93
:cheer2: I'm still near the top! :thumbsup2 (for now! :rotfl:)

Transformers

D'oh-nuts

Weasly Wizard Weaslys

Men in black because hopefully you rode the one decent ride in either park.

margaritaville? :confused3 I have no clue about the places on Citywalk. :rotfl:

Nope

yes

I'm glad its not quite as bad as I was thinking it was, but sorry you are dealing with challenges none the less. :hug:

The queue is amazing, that's an inarguable fact. I'm a big fan of Disney and Disney queues, but this queue beats anything they have at Disney, hands down.

In the actual Harry Potter universe, the Leaky Cauldron is in London, and the entrance to Diagon Alley is behind the Leaky Cauldron. From what I understand, it's kinda reversed at Universal Studios. There's some explanation for it, but I can't remember what it is.
But the whole point is that you're not supposed to be able to see Diagon Alley from London. That's why it's so well hidden.
I think the reason the Leaky Cauldron is inside Diagon Alley here is because they wanted to keep the whole non-descript London look to the whole façade on that side of the park.

I'm actually really curious to see what happens to it. I know they're getting new ride vehicles, so I'm really wondering how much this ride is going to change. It may be an entirely different ride when it reopens.
This is what scares me. That was one of my favorite roller coasters anywhere.

Congratulations. Your daughter is now on a terrorist watch list.
If you knew her, that wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Excuse me, sir, I am going to need to remove that filling from your teeth. Open wide. (grabs pliers)
It was pretty much that bad.

But you said Lard Lad later. Are you sure it wasn't the same place?
Well, Lard Lad is a small shop. I'm guessing there's a good possibility that it all comes from the same oven.

That really does add to the theme, doesn't it?:thumbsup2

So...keep expectations in check, I guess?
::yes:: I mean, it wasn't awful. You ride Winnie the Pooh and you see painted plywood sets. This was definitely several notches better. But for all the technology that went into the Kuka arm and their video simulator technology, and the way people rave about this ride it just felt like they were skimping on the AA elements.

Wait, what?
Seemed crazy. The only thing that makes sense about it is that the queue for the ride winds around in the bottom floor beneath the loading platform. So I guess it is a space saving strategy?

All I can say is that wait would suck if the queue was full. :faint:

Wait, what?
Yeah, this one just made no sense.

We could split you into 6 cars and everyone can pretty much sit right next to a window... or we can cram 8 people each into 2 cars.

Ok, I've seen the movies, and I'm drawing a blank on this. Maybe I should have paid more attention.
I googled it. It is Kreacher.

Finally? We could have helped you figure that out.
Yeah, but you'd have to consider the source material there.

Well, at least you didn't stoop to asking for directions. Go ahead and keep the Man Card, but we're watching you.
Directions? Who does that?

Hooray! Sounds magical.
I've been there. I could feel their pain. She was happy and seemed fine with getting on the ride. But once we went down a hill and entered a dark room that all changed. As a parent, I know it was brutal just sitting there really unable to do anything.

Yep, pixie dust all around. Maybe you got sprinkled with Dark Arts dust instead.
:rotfl:

Well, as long as it's only one ride like that, you can probably tough it out. So overall how intense is Gringotts? I will need to prepare for how my kids will react someday.
It really isn't all that intense. It is a roller coaster with segments that turn it into a motion simulator. It is kind of like a hybrid of the Mummy and Spiderman. It is an interesting ride when it is working. My biggest complaint was just all the motion simulator scenes. They could have easily told the story, and in my opinion, had a better ride if it was just rollercoaster where you ride through scenes showing destruction and carnage rather than stopping in front of a scene depicting destruction and carnage while it tries to make you feel like you're moving when you're actually sitting still.

I think Star Wars is for us what Harry Potter is for the next generation. We can appreciate the storytelling but we weren't in that pre-teen sweet spot where it just feels like a new world.
Good comparison.

Just shoot me now. Here's our wide foreheads and nose hairs with a blurry part of a train in the background!

Time for a cropdusting, methinks.

What about this lint?:confused3
I was about to ask if it would help if I just take my pants off.

This just sounds insane. Is every ride like that?
Not every ride, thankfully. Dragon Challenge and Rip Ride Rockit have metal detectors now. I assume Hulk will also when it re-opens. The rest of the rides with lockers still just require you to leave any bags or items that you can't put in a pocket.

Oh, I guess there's also this hand grenade. My bad.
I'm telling you... if I had one...

Uh oh. You're not making me want to visit. And I know my daughter is going to force me to go.
It's worth checking out. At least I think it is. I mean they just raised the price of a 1 day 2 park ticket to $150. Honestly, I can't see how they can price themselves on the same level (or a little higher) than Disney when it is such a one dimensional park. I mean it is really kind of a waste to go there with younger children. Or basically anyone outside the age range of 10 - 30.

Well, there's that, at least. The theming does look pretty amazing.
::yes:: That is the thing. When they did the Harry Potter attractions, and to a lesser extent Springfield, they really hit a home run. Clearly that is why Disney upped it's game in Fantasyland with the attention to detail and I'm excited to see how far they take it in Star Wars land.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Just a wild guess?
It's a calculated guess...

Oh, good! A ride with high-tech video screens that shakes you around pretty good.
:thumbsup2 At least this one doesn't bother me too much.

I actually probably could have skipped it and not really cared. And that was the biggest problem I found that day. I felt that way about way too many of the rides they have.

Wow, that is quite the "refurb".

:sad2: Who needs a track, anyway?
Where we're going, we don't need tracks!

I'm starting to feel handicapped here because I have no idea what characters are at Universal, the names of the shops, etc. They have a Transformers ride, right? I'll say Transformers.

D'oh-nuts, just because I love me some Homer.

You really are going to make me Google this, aren't you? Be right back.

(googling...)

Sounds like Weasley's Wizard Wheezes has all the practical joke stuff, so that seems like a winner.

The Mummy. Or something with a high-tech video screen that shakes you around pretty good.

Aw, come on! I just closed the Google window!

(googling...)

Well, obviously it's Pat O'Brien's. I mean, duh. Everybody knows that.

Uh...sure, I guess.

No. Because you're a guy.

0.56 miles.
Got em!

Just praying that things will improve in the womb, and that you will have the best of care.
Thanks.

Wow, those metal detectors do sound very frustrating. Like so many people wear belts - men and women - I can't imagine how many people had issues when there...it's good you went at a pretty non-crowded time.
::yes:: I understand the safety concerns, but it just really felt like overkill.

Which is why Disney is better!:rotfl::thumbsup2;););)

Yum, cinnamon rolls!:goodvibes
I always appreciate a good cinnamon roll.

That is a great idea! I have only been to Universal once, for like a 1/2 day and it was like 11 years ago, but I really want to go back. Between your TR with pictures, and others I have seen the whole Harry Potter part really looks cool. I have never really read the books/seen the movies, so I would probably want to do the same to fully understand what I'm seeing.
The first time I saw the Wizarding World, I thought it looked cool... but I had no idea what any of it was. I decided that I wanted to learn some of the background before this trip and it really helped tie it all together and explain some things. But you can really appreciate the detail without knowing anything about it.

Sorry you weren't feeling in - I guess it's one of those rides that are personal preference.
::yes:: It just didn't quite do it for me. I think I'd have liked it better if it was a restaurant where you walked through the queue to enter the castle to eat in their big dining hall instead of there being a ride there.

The train ride does sound awesome! Even though they make you pay more to experience it - I would totally get the 2 park ticket to be able to do it!! Sorry you were a little squished though.
They know what they're doing to sell tickets. And now they just raised that 2 park 1 day ticket to $150. They're kind of making the decision to not take the time to jump over there on the next trip even easier.

I have heard about the locker thing, that sounds so annoying. Like I get they don't want things flying out of pockets, but if you have zippers I don't see the problem! Disney lets you bring pretty much anything on a ride:rotfl:
It is a stark contrast to what Disney allows. I'm with you, I understand the safety concerns, but it really is overkill. I typically wear cargo shorts if I'm going to a park and don't have to carry a bag for the kids, just so that I can stash anything I'll need in the pockets and not have to worry about losing anything. In all my life, I've never lost anything on a rollercoaster. And I've ridden a lot of them.

WOW, I would be fed up too...and those darn Minions...wow with those bright yellow shirts, I bet you were able to spot them from a mile away:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
The nice thing about their shirts is that it was like seeing a tour group at Disney World. You could see them coming and avoid them, which I managed to do for the rest of the day.

Yeah, details like that castle make it seem worth it. It looks so lifelike! The Universal "Imagineers" really did do a good job.
::yes:: They really hit a home run with it.

Oh my gosh I would be really frustrated too...:confused3 I apologize for people my age...we can be very annoying:sad2:
I was just trying to paint a picture of the situation. But I certainly wouldn't cast all people around that age into that generalization. There are plenty who are more considerate than that.

I'm actually doing better at this game then I thought I was!:woohoo::rotfl2:
It's about 92% luck. And since I'm inconsistent on points, it just takes having some good guesses on an update that is worth more points.

Well, I'm going to guess it's not the Minions:laughing:...
Spiderman? Or some type of superhero?

The Big Pink.

The chocolate shop where you can get the chocolate frog??

Spiderman?

Pat O'Brien's? :rolleyes1

.567 of a mile.
Got em!

Andy, I am really sorry. I will keep you and your DW in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

::yes:: I was kind of glad it was such a hazy morning. Getting there at RD before it was crowded and seeing that... you could almost imagine that the snow was real and you were there.

And this is what it comes down to for me really why I just can't bring myself to spend time or money on universal.
I can't argue with that...

The House elf in the window is called Kreacher.

I really can't blame you. I'm a big potter fan and I can't bring myself to bother to go see any of the potter stuff because $150 per person just for me to walk around and see things and not even be able to ride just doesn't make any sense.
Again... I can't argue with this logic. The rides, as a whole, just aren't family friendly. Especially if anyone in your family has motion issues.

wait WHAT?!? WHY?!?! This is seriously excessive! :sad2: no thank you.
I get their safety concerns. But yeah, this is just crazy. :faint:

Noooooooo!!!!!
Metal detector beeps... pulse rises. TM harassing me about stuff in pockets... face turning red. Minions walk by... steam literally starts rolling out of my ears.

What a waste.
The stress and frustration was just sucking a lot of the fun out of it all.

How unfortunate.
In hindsight, I'm glad I did go. I enjoyed my time there and this hour or so in the morning was the definite low point of the day. But it really made a strong impact on my feelings about Universal.

Okay that is a nice touch. Not enough to make me want to drop $150 on a single ticket nice but still... nice.
:rotfl:

:rotfl2: What would your thoughts had been if you had heard a girl crying in the dudes restroom? :rotfl:
:eek: Well... I don't know. I've never really thought about it that way!

Meh.... Not when I wouldn't ever be able to ride anything without serious motion sickness issues.
Good point.

And you didn't give them dirty looks or say anything?:confused3
Oh, if looks could kill. And there's a reason they had to try multiple times. My leg kept getting in their way.

:eek: Obnoxious! and I am surprised you still didn't say anything!
No need. I'd already decided that no matter how obnoxious they were, I can do it better. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

:eek: That's a bit more than a referb!

Maybe its just a removal.
I certainly hope not!

:sad2: are you sure it WILL reopen? I thought I heard a rumor somewhere that Universal's contract on Marvel stuff is coming up and they aren't renewing it and are changing it to something else. I however am so not a universal person so I couldn't tell you how accurate that rumor is.
I think it will. My understanding is that Universal has the rights east of the Mississippi to any of the characters they already have in their park. Basically they can't add new characters, and if they remove them or let their attractions go into disrepair, they lose them.

There is always the possibility that Disney could work out a deal with Universal to obtain those rights. And it actually might make sense to do it now. Hulk is down for a major refurb, so a re-theming wouldn't be a major change to do right now.

But really, I'm pretty sure Hulk will return. I just hope it is essentially the same ride it used to be.

:cheer2: I'm still near the top! :thumbsup2 (for now! :rotfl:)
Nice job!

Transformers

D'oh-nuts

Weasly Wizard Weaslys

Men in black because hopefully you rode the one decent ride in either park.

margaritaville? :confused3 I have no clue about the places on Citywalk. :rotfl:

Got em!

I'm glad its not quite as bad as I was thinking it was, but sorry you are dealing with challenges none the less. :hug:
Thanks.

Better to be safe than sorry. The one time you weren't to worry about something like that would be the time they question you guys out on it.

Cinnabon:love:

We all walked slowly through the castle seeing all the detail, but the line literally never stopped moving until we turned the corner past the sorting hat. In no time at all I was on Forbidden Journey.

Now some of you might remember me saying that I’m not a big fan of this ride. I realize the Kuka arm technology is supposed to be special and impressive. And this ride is supposed to be one of the best things ever. I rode it once and I wasn’t impressed. Part of it could be that I can get some motion sickness from certain motion simulator rides and the broom sequences on this one hit me pretty hard. I remember that I was pretty much begging for the ride to end by the second broom sequence.

Well, I made sure to take my Dramamine this morning. Actually, I started taking it the day before to build it up in my system. I had breakfast so I wasn’t going in with an empty stomach. I’d planned everything out to make sure I was ready to ride and I felt pretty good about it.

I tend to get motion sickness on this ride as well. I think the only one worse for me at UOR is the Simpson's Ride (and MS:Orange at WDW :scared:) The main reason I go for the ride is to walk through Hogwarts. There may come a time in the near future where riding isnt worth the after effects, and I'll opt for a castle tour instead!

The broom sequences still got to me.
Definitely the worst part.

I got in line for the HOGWARTS Express (@SarahDisney). I can’t believe that queue. You walk down one of the longest ramps ever… which was wet. I just about busted my… yeah. But then after you finish walking down the ramp, you climb stairs back up to the platform.

Anyway, by the time I finished my 15 mile hike to get there, a train was pulling in. There was hardly anyone waiting to board, so they apparently felt the need to cram us all into 2 rooms in one of the cars and leave the rest of them empty.
Suprisingly this is the one attraction where the line seems SHORTER when you are stuck in line lol it definitley is a hike to get to the platform!

I noticed the dude in the window (help me out Potter fans) at 12 Grimmauld Place.
KREACHER!

I saw the Knight Bus, but didn’t really want to stand in line to interact there.
I definitely suggest doing this interaction next time you make your way over to UOR, Stan was probably one of my favorite at Universal!

I went in and I really think Diagon Alley is even more impressive than Hogwarts. I love all the shops and how incredibly detailed all the theming is. I quickly found Gringotts once I was in there… I mean it is pretty hard to miss a fire breathing dragon on top of a building!
I give the win to Diagon Alley because you actually get to go INTO the shops, use your wand, etc.. Hogwarts is quite the sight to see but it feels like youre walking through a museum.

All in all, I liked the ride. Although I really wish it was more roller coaster and animatronics and much, much less park you in front of a screen and shake you around. Despite watching the movies, making an effort and really wanting to fall in love with the Harry Potter attractions, I just really wasn’t feeling it.
Agreed. It definitely had that Univeral trademark on it. It's kind of disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of the rides at Universal, but alot of them are eerily similiar to eachother, just with a different story line.

Thankfully I wasn’t in the same car as any of them, but when we exited the train there was no missing them. They were blocking the entire exit ramp taking pictures next to the engine. Other guests and TMs tried telling them they could get the same picture outside of the train station, but they were having none of it. Eventually, a crack in their armor formed and people started moving through their blockade and out the exit.
This is when I would have walked right by them. I see this alot in Hogwarts as well.. I have no issue with people taking pictures in there. Take a million if you'd like.. But, dont hold up the line to do so. And definitely dont get angry when people start walking past you.

I try to put my stuff in a locker area AWAY from the ride lockers. It means a couple extra minutes you'll be without your stuff, but it also saves the aggravation of the ride locker area.

I went on in and I chose the Hungarian Horntail coaster. It was literally a walk on once I finally convinced the rent a cop with a wand that it was my belt buckle and not something in my pocket or tucked behind my waistband. The TM at the loading platform assigned me to a row. I was placed in a row at the middle of the train. The Minions were already in there and were assigned in a few rows toward the back. Apparently, they decided that wasn’t what they wanted and about 8 of them left their assigned spots and got in line for the row in front of mine.
That just makes no sense. Oh well, their problem I guess.

On my way out of Hogsmeade, I stopped by the restroom. I noticed you could hear Moaning Myrtle in there. I appreciated this detail that they included in the park. I thought it was a nice touch and it was definitely something I wouldn’t have picked up on if I hadn’t watched the movies.
This is a pretty awesome detail. You'll pick up on even MORE if you get around to reading the books!:thumbsup2

:rotfl2:So much for those ponchos!

I left the Jurassic era and checked out what I could see of the new Skull Island area as I passed.

20160109_111323.jpg

It really looks like it will be a nice addition to the park. I’m sure it will have some high tech video screens and shake you around pretty good when it opens.
I cant wait!!! really hoping it stays on schedule and is open for our trip in September. I was never at Universal for the original Kong ride, so this is definitely on my to-do list!

The last time I rode it in 2012, I don’t remember it being really rough or anything. I knew it was undergoing an extensive refurb, but to tear down the whole track??? I’m kind of concerned by this. I hope they stick with basically the same layout for the coaster. If they add one of their patented video screen/motion features to this one I might be done with Universal for good.
Idk how they would be able to do that. I really hope they don't. I heard the new coaster will be similar, but longer in duration.

I'll keep my answer the same

I would say the raptor encounter, but I see you already by-passed tha tone. So, maybe Bumble Bee?

D'oh-nuts

MY favorite is Borgin & Burkes, but thats technically Knockturn Alley. I'll guess the Magical Menagerie.

Transformers

Pat O'Briens

Nope.

Nope, you didnt have time because your room took so long to be ready.

God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Whatever the issues may be I'll keep you in my prayers, and remember that with love you and your DW can handle whatever is thrown at you!

So I've been hoping for the past couple days to sit down and give a proper reply here, but it just isn't happening. Most days I'm finding the only time I have for DIS replies is on my phone, so I'm going to have to make this brief.

I did want to thank you for telling it like it is about US/IOA. We are spending two nights at the Lowe's Royal Pacific Hotel in order to see the new Harry Potter stuff, and I had been debating as to whether or not to get a one day or two day pass. Your report has made that decision for me. We're just going to go the one day and then head over to Disney as soon as we check out of the hotel. All I really want to do is ride Gringott's and the Hogwarts Express and then check out the shops and go through the queue of Forbidden Journey. I don't want to risk riding it again even with Dramamine.

I'm sorry you encountered so many annoyances. That's pretty stupid to pair a 6ft + guy with tiny girls if you all weren't in the same party when you are sharing a lap bar. That family sounded really annoying with all the selfies and having to take pictures of everyone in every combination.

So did I get points for saying Lard Lad donuts even if you haven't eaten there yet? :hyper:

Don't remember what I said, but I'll stick with it.

. Which character meet fascinated me? (10 points)

Transformers

You gotta get the Big Pink! I'm putting that on my list for April and when I showed it to Fran, she said, "Let's get a dozen!"

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

Men in Black

Pat O'Briens

No

No

Man, I love Cinnabon. Although strangely I have never gone to the one at Citywalk. There isn't one where I live, which is probably a good thing since I can see me putting on a lot of cinnamon bun weight...
I've ridden Forbidden Journey on three different trips. The first time I was really impressed. But it's definitely been wearing off. It should be impressive, but I'm kind of like you, I think. Once a trip is OK, but not more. It's strange because I can re-ride much "simpler" ride like Pirates or Haunted Mansion without getting bored.
It's already been answered, but yeah, it's Kreacher, Sirius Black's house elf. I am still mad that I forgot to show my DD that. I had read that he was in the window but totally forgot about it.
I finally determined that I’m an idiot and it must be that cut out in the brick wall that I thought was some kind of an exit. I walked back and I was soon in Diagon Alley.
I must have looked similarly confused when I walked past it because I had a TM ask if I was looking for Diagon Alley. Although it's kind of hidden, I guess that's really the point and they really kept it feeling authentic when you compare it to the scene in the first movie.
I went in and I really think Diagon Alley is even more impressive than Hogwarts. I love all the shops and how incredibly detailed all the theming is.
Agreed. I spent more time just walking around Diagon Alley. Knockturn Alley was interesting, too.
We got through the first drop and a short segment of the ride. We had just rounded a corner when the ride came to a halt. They played some kind of an announcement, but we couldn’t hear it because they still had the sounds in the ride playing at full blast. At least it helped drown out this poor little girl who was crying hysterically and just wanted off the ride. We sat there for about 10 minutes.
It seems like Gringotts breaks down a lot. I never did get to ride it. I tried twice. I broke down while I was in the queue (outside) both times. Still didn't see the goblin bank.
Questions for the next update:

1. already answered
2. I'll say one of the Transformers. Optimus Prime? I think to be fascinating, it probably needs to be a character you can interact with.
3. D'Oh-nuts
4. Borgin and Burkes (dark wizard shop in Knockturn Alley)
5. The Mummy
6. I'll go with the masses and say Pat O'Briens
7. Yes
8. Yes (bucking the trend...)
9. 0.73 miles

I appreciate your openness. A trouble during pregnancy is truly heart-wrenching. Before my DD was born, we had some concern about her health due to an illness my wife contracted during pregnancy. She was fine in the end. I know it's probably not the same as what you're going through, but I can imagine how difficult it can be. I hope everything turns out OK in the end.

GREAT Chapter Title!

I am so glad you binged the movies before your trip. It really does help in appreciating the details in the Harry Potter lands.

pixiedust:

I got in line for the HOGWARTS Express (@SarahDisney). I can’t believe that queue. You walk down one of the longest ramps ever… which was wet. I just about busted my… yeah.

That walkway is RIDIKULUS! The first time we rode the Hogwarts Express I commented that we have already walked most of the way to London!

But then after you finish walking down the ramp, you climb stairs back up to the platform.

Did you notice the same issue in the Gringott's ride? You take the elevator down to the bottom level, get out and then have to take the spiral stairs to the loading area. Couldn't they have stopped the elevator a couple of floors earlier?

There was hardly anyone waiting to board, so they apparently felt the need to cram us all into 2 rooms in one of the cars and leave the rest of them empty.

On our first Hogwarts Express trip, it was just the 4 of us in the trolley cabin. it was wonderful. But on all of our other trips, we had to share with obnoxious people (other than my family members)

:crowded:

I didn't see if anyone answered, but Kreacher-Sirius Black's house elf who now belongs to Harry.

(Yes, I WAS the annoying Hermione Granger type in school)

You should have told the TM "If you're going to wand me, at least use a proper magical wand!"

:wizard:

:laughing:

I believe the course will remain essentially the same, but the track will be extended for a ride that is a little longer. That's good, right?

I agree that the metal detector/locker situation is annoying. We had 3 trips to US before they installed them and I could ride everything without using the lockers by wearing my handy-dandy fanny pack. The August trip was the first time we had to use the lockers. The most annoying thing is that an entire bay of lockers is controlled by one touch screen, so if you have idiots trying to use the screen in your bay, and they can't get it to work, it holds you up and there is nothing you can do about it.

:headache:

Keep, but I'm sure I have too few steps.

Transformers

D'oh-nuts

If you made it to Knockturn Alley, the one in there with all the curiosities. Borgin & Burkes. We totally missed KA on our Feb trip even though we visited Diagon Alley several times. Made sure to find it in August.

Mummy

Lone Palm. Because although it is 5 O'clock Somewhere, apparently not at Margaritaville. Isn't that ironic?

:beach:

Yes.

I want to answer "No", but I can't. You are compelled and obligated to take pictures of the room!

Once again, your family is in my thoughts often.

:grouphug:

Last edited:
I just realized in my haste to get my contest answers in I neglected to adress your family situation. I hope that with your extra care everything with the new baby comes out for the best. My sister had challenges with her last two pregnancies and I can only imagine how difficult that must be. I hope everything works out for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter