• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

I live how it is not bad costumer service when they accommodate people in the campsites but people on hotel room too bad app sad that makes sense ...

Because they have cabins/sites booked for those nights and Disney is just moving them.

I am sure that if someone does not have a cabin/site booked for Thursday night they are not being moved and will be expected to check out in the morning as planned.

How often does hurricane happen in WDW/Florida? When was the last time hurricane pass through WDW?
Very rare. It was the mid 90s when disney closed a park for the first time from a hurricane. it's only been closed 4 days for weather in the last 45 years (might be 5).. (3 of those days was in 2004 when 3 hurricanes came very close to each other and while disney was cleaned up fast, the rest of the area was not and castmembers had trouble getting to work and it wasn't safe to operate with less staff.)

More commonly is maybe the edge of the winds or the storm is tropical or less when it gets to central florida. Andrew is actually the largest hurricane that might hit the coast of central florida ever. but it's hitting the coast but it's a wide storm so disney property that is more in the middle of the state is going to feel the winds, just not the strongest in the center unless it turns and heads more inland.

After this hurricane, how likely is it it'll happen again in early November? Knowing my husband (he is not going, just my son and I), he'll bug me to cancel once he hears about the hurricane....when he heard about the riot at the nightclub few month ago, he bugged me to cancel my November trip but I told him it wasn't happening!

november is considered the end of hurricane season. very unlikely but there is weeks notice that a storm might come (tropical storm nicole is actually already on the radar but mostly likely going to hit more north if it says a strong storm). Hurricanes and Tropical Storms start far away and they move very slow which is why there is so much uncertainty. It's not gonig to sneak up on you and to give your husband a ray of hope, when it's going to impact disney in some way, like airlines that make it free to reschedule or you get a full refund so you'll save money by waiting until it's time to leave to cancel (and your airline would probably offer the same).

The problem with hurricanes and bad storms is traveling to and from disney. it can be a challenge and unsafe and lots of times planes stop flying in/out of the area.

The only resort operations officially being closed are the resort Spas. They will all close at 12:00 noon on Thursday and most likely remain closed until Saturday.

There are also teams of character performers who, if necessary, will be stationed at the resorts to provide "enhancements" during the storm.

So I am trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to cancel our whole trip. I think I am leaning towards driving from Ohio to Augusta, GA Thursday and stay a couple of nights with my family. Then arrive at Disney on Saturday instead of Friday like originally planned. This means I will be missing a MNSSHP Friday night and our day at sea world on Saturday. Has anyone had any experience with sea world refunding tickets for something like this? I cant get through to a customer service person to ask.

I read on another website that they're also holding back rooms because WDW might have to house passengers from two of the Disney cruise ships. The website said that they're not taking not taking any new reservations at all to leave rooms available for those who have to move.
Disney was less than helpful this afternoon when I tried to book a room assuming my cruise would be cancelled.

We are planning on leaving sat am from Atlanta - driving . This morning , I was thinking we should be ok but now really questioning that plan . More worried about the safety of driving than if the parks will be open when we get there . Going to wait until tomorrow to see the projections. Though my dad used to say no matter what the odds are it either happens or it doesn't.

I find this statement confusing. People who are under large trees in tents are being moved to hotel rooms so they are alive the next day.. What are they not doing for hotel people?

Extending their stays because of travel issues.

If this current stomtrack keeps up, I would expect either a delayed opening or just outright closure on Friday.

WDW News Today

Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park will be closed on Thursday, October 6th.

My sister and her husband live in Cape Canaveral and will be coming to my house to ride out the storm. They just finished remodeling their home last month, so the timing of this storm could not be worse. I have plans to go visit THEM (hotel at Cocoa Beach) in about 13 days. I am not sure if my hotel will still be there by the weekend . . . a few years back I went through a similar issue, and only a handful of rooms were OK for occupancy and after I got back home, they ended up closing the hotel for several months to rebuild. I am in Lake County, so west of WDW. Hoping it won't be too bad here . . .I live on a hill, so flooding should not be an issue, and the house has solid concrete walls. I just worry about the roof more than anything else. Everyone stay safe!

So I am trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to cancel our whole trip. I think I am leaning towards driving from Ohio to Augusta, GA Thursday and stay a couple of nights with my family. Then arrive at Disney on Saturday instead of Friday like originally planned. This means I will be missing a MNSSHP Friday night and our day at sea world on Saturday. Has anyone had any experience with sea world refunding tickets for something like this? I cant get through to a customer service person to ask.
@HopperFan posted this info and SeaWorld is closed on Friday and will be open on Saturday
Hurricane Matthew Update Thread - Park Closures

CuCBQ6-W8AAML8s.png

@HopperFan posted this info and SeaWorld is closed on Friday and will be open on Saturday
Hurricane Matthew Update Thread - Park Closures
I saw that post thanks! My question was whether anyone had any luck getting sea world tickets refunded. I know they are open on saturday but if I drive on saturday then I wouldn't be their till later in the afternoon and probably would only be able to do sea world for a couple hours which I'd rather not do. I actually finally got through to sea world and they are refunding me for the tickets. Thank you though

I saw that post thanks! My question was whether anyone had any luck getting sea world tickets refunded. I know they are open on saturday but if I drive on saturday then I wouldn't be their till later in the afternoon and probably would only be able to do sea world for a couple hours which I'd rather not do. I actually finally got through to sea world and they are refunding me for the tickets. Thank you though

"Peace of Mind" Hurricane Policy
In the event a named tropical storm or hurricane approaches Orlando, Tampa, or a guest's hometown, the parks will reschedule or refund any vacation package and/or individual park tickets booked through SeaWorld Vacations, Busch Gardens Vacations, DiscoveryCove.com, SeaWorld.com, Aquatica.com, BuschGardens.com, or the call center. The parks will not apply any cancellation or change fees for this service. For additional SeaWorld information call 1-888-800-5447.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter