Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Bush Gardens probably wouldn't close, they are on the West Coast and not getting anything that Orlando is or even Winter Haven where Legoland is. Not really a fair comparison to place Bush Gardens there. In fact some from the Orlando area evacuated to the Bush Gardens area.
Figured but I couldn't help but point that out

After reading all the posts about food shortages, and Disney only offering a boxed lunch to get guests through 24 hours of hurricane, if we ever go to WDW during hurricane season, I'm adding extra provisions to our advance Garden Grocer order. Although being from SE Texas, I would've been the first person at the food court stocking up. I'm that person.
At Poly they had the normal menu AND the box lunches. They were friendly and helpful are Captain Cook's - the CM packed mine up and put it in a bag for me to trek back to the room with.

Still just lots of wind and rain here. Our street is covered in tree branches but not too bad. I think in about 3-4 hours the worst will be over. By this evening the wind and rain should be done and damage can be assessed. I would guess that the parks will be open tomorrow, just perhaps a little late. We still have power but about 6,500 people in Orange County are without power.

I think some of it will have to do with the ability to prepare food at different resorts also. I mean, some resorts have 3 or 4 table service places, a couple of quick service areas. Others have a food court with less ability to prepare meals. So if you are at one of the deluxes, it's going to be a different experience than a value. I mean I guess it does have to do with the price you paid, but bottom line it has more to do with the resources available. And I've seen the word shortage used. I may have missed it but have any people said there was no food to be had or just REALLY long lines? And as far as the 'gouging' goes, yea, it sounds pricey, but if you buy a bottle of water, an apple, a sandwich, how much are you going to pay? And saying it's padding WDW pockets, I can only imagine the amount of money that will be refunded, revenue lost from parties, people that had ADR's, people cancelling etc etc..

I realize it's not over yet but based on what I saw this morning I wonder what the return line is gonna look like to return all that unopened food

Wait till they all find out they needed to have kept their receipts :)

At FQ, last night, 3 hours to get a limited menu and several items sold out. No discount for food either. And to make chocolate a hot commodity, no food available, as of 10 last night, until further notice. Oh well. I am enjoying watching TV. Lost connection a few times, but all seems well, just with some leaves and small branches on the ground.

Stay safe all.

At Poly they had the normal menu AND the box lunches. They were friendly and helpful are Captain Cook's - the CM packed mine up and put it in a bag for me to trek back to the room with.

Good! What time did CC's close? Are any of the restaurants open today?

Where are you now? If the resorts are under lockdown, are you moving at the extreme end?
We are at Swan. Heading to Boardwalk about noon or so I guess. It is really not at all bad out there. Just saw the latest on the local news and it's not going to get worse, just better. We won't have any problem getting over there

Communication sucks at WDW. If it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have heard most of the information. I was at frozen or the character spot when I read the parks closing at five. I never once heard any announcement over a PA system.

Don't know how you missed it. We were at Epcot and they positively announced the closing over the PA system. and from the time we arrived at 11:00, every CM mentioned it too

Question for locals/WDW hurricane veterans...

(and please, no lectures on naïveté - we get pretty wicked winter storms and I know what weather can do. I just also know it can surprise even the best meteorologists and most prepared folks, in positive ways too)

If in fact it turned eastward, we're "getting hit" now (in that 8-9am window), etc - essentially, if it works out much better than anticipated - is it possible they'll lift the curfew early, open parks earlier than anticipated?

I'm not asking for a blood oath or even if there's a chance we make our afternoon FP today ;). We're just only down here 3 days and it looks like most of those will be in our room. I would never suggest safety isn't the priority, just curious if we can hang onto some hope that we COULD, if weather lets up, get to do something after all?

So anyone know anything about this curfew? I have a flight into Tampa late today and was planning to drive to Disney where I have a room (there are no rooms in Tampa :) ) I am a little concerned that I am going to be sleeping in the car if I can't get to Disney.

Glad it's going well. Really concerned for my friends who live in the low coast area of Georgia and South Carolina however!

MLB_loop.gif

I haven't read all the messages this morning but the yacht club is running. Characters in the lobby, games going on, and the restaurants are up. We are just finishing a buffet breakfast at Captain's Grill. Housekeeping also stopped by to take trash and towels this morning. We feel well taken care of and it still feels like a vacation.
Also if any CM read this thank you for all you are doing. We have been thanking everyone we see and have seen others do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter