Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

I think people are concerned about actual travel, not necessarily the parks themselves.
Yeppers. The travel down is the only thing I'm concerned with. We fly out at 5 AM on Friday, landing in Orlando at 9:30 AM. The only thing that would get me to change the trip would be if the airline came out and said they wouldn't be doing the flight. Problem is, not sure how much earlier we can move our trip. Maybe to earlier on Thursday but really not sure that is going to do a whole lot of good just yet. Basically, all I can do is sit and wait for the airline to make a call one way or another.

I fly in on Thursday night - keeping my fingers crossed we can squeeze in before it gets bad.

I fly in on Thursday night - keeping my fingers crossed we can squeeze in before it gets bad.

So do I. We are supposed to land at 5. It's a surprise trip and I told him a few days ago. Regretting that a lot now.

Supposed to do PIRATES and Pals when we land but...

Yeah, if you are traveling to or from Orlando on Thursday or Friday, it is time to be concerned. You may have to think about switching your flight to another day or time. The airlines haven't announced that they will be allowing that without charge yet. When it does, be ready to grab another flight if you don't intend to cancel.

My flight is from DC at 10:30 Thursday night. It's probably right on the cusp of the difficult time so far. Waiting for United to let me change it. I will change it to earlier if they allow it.

The same flight Wednesday night is almost full. Only first class seats still available. Flight times on Wednesday may be in short supply.

ok so with new update it looks a little better for the orlando area on fri....moving a little faster....hopefully it keeps going faster

Reactions: Zim
Hurricane Watch now indicated for most of the east coast of Florida. A watch indicates hurricane conditions are "possible."

Hurricane Watch now indicated for most of the east coast of Florida.
I think at this point its a guarantee that you will see strong wind and rain in the orlando area....the question is when and for how long. The latest that I saw on the gov site that was posted was at 11am and thur looks rough and into fri early morning but will start to be cloudy and 22mph winds at around 11am fri so hopefully it moves out as quickly as possible

I think at this point its a guarantee that you will see strong wind and rain in the orlando area....the question is when and for how long. The latest that I saw on the gov site that was posted was at 11am and thur looks rough and into fri early morning but will start to be cloudy and 22mph winds at around 11am fri so hopefully it moves out as quickly as possible
You think? This doesn't look like a guarantee. About 50/50 best I can tell, for now.

150356.gif

No, there are no guarantees. but now is the time to start paying CLOSE attention.

11am forecast not much different from 5AM. Orlando TS wind probability dropped from 65% to 64%; hurricane force went from 9% to 11%. Highest TS wind probability is 8PM Wed to 8PM Thurs; only 10% probability after 8PM Thurs. I believe the probability is higher as the storm approaches due to the counterclockwise circulation, coming in off the water while the storm is to the south, and over the land as the storm is north.

For the coast, a Hurricane Watch is in effect for Central FL, TS watch for So. FL, nothing yet for Northern FL.

No, there are no guarantees. but now is the time to start paying CLOSE attention.
Yes. If we were flying in from Atlanta this trip I'd not worry much at all. But coming in from Charlotte we always fly in from the East shoreline of FL, which is the worse location in regards to the hurricane

You think? This doesn't look like a guarantee. About 50/50 best I can tell, for now.

150356.gif
sorry meant gurantee that fla will feel some winds and rain fron this storm....how strong and how long is the question....hopefully everyone will be safe and get to their disney vacations on time....its making it easier having everyone give their updates and opinions....I can tell my wife different opinions and ease her nerves

11am forecast not much different from 5AM. Orlando TS wind probability dropped from 65% to 64%; hurricane force went from 9% to 11%. Highest TS wind probability is 8PM Wed to 8PM Thurs; only 10% probability after 8PM Thurs. I believe the probability is higher as the storm approaches due to the counterclockwise circulation, coming in off the water while the storm is to the south, and over the land as the storm is north.

For the coast, a Hurricane Watch is in effect for Central FL, TS watch for So. FL, nothing yet for Northern FL.
biggest change I saw is the projection on where its going to be at 8am FRI.....at 5am it was just south of Daytona and now its just south of the St augustine area...correct me if im wrong but thats what it looked like to me

biggest change I saw is the projection on where its going to be at 8am FRI.....at 5am it was just south of Daytona and now its just south of the St augustine area...correct me if im wrong but thats what it looked like to me
About midway between Daytona & St. Augustine.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Yes. If we were flying in from Atlanta this trip I'd not worry much at all. But coming in from Charlotte we always fly in from the East shoreline of FL, which is the worse location in regards to the hurricane

Same with us. We're going from Knoxville through Charlotte this time....and we're flying Friday evening.

We're driving down Thursday night (well, everyone sleeps but I do the driving). I don't expect much trouble (I drive a Durango, so my tank can move through most anything), but, like everyone else, I think we all just need to be aware of the situation and roll with the punches.

My parents are traveling to Orlando tomorrow for a wedding on Friday! They were also planning on Universal on Thursday. I feel bad for the bride and groom!

Crossing my fingers and staying in the loop. We're due to land at MCO at 9:30am on Thursday.

Those that follow these things, any guesses as to what it takes for an airline to issue an alert? Do they have certain parameters that must be met from the forecasters? Like a degree of probability? And about how far out do they typically make these calls?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter