Hurricane Irma?

A question about "confined to your room" statement i have seen. We moved our arrival up to Saturday morning. The only place i was able to get was Bay Lake Tower. Would we be allowed to cross over to Contemporary, or have to stay in BLT?

Not to be debbie downer but this is more west and inward then it was a few hours ago. At least thats what I remember

Yeah but the part of the hurricane that can do actual damage is only about 5-10 miles wide so...

People seem to be ignoring the fact that this hurricane is bigger than Andrew in 1992. It can shift eastward 100 miles out to sea and still cause massive damage all over the state.

Last edited:
Flying out tomorrow at 7 am from Montreal. Been keeping a close eye on Irma, but running out of time to make a decision. We are probably going anyway unless we have issues at the airport tomorrow. Packed tons of snacks, a flashlight, extra chargers, and rain gear. We are there till the 17th and had a day or so as resort/pool days planned so we can easily move our plans around. I'm assuming they'll refund out MNSSHP tickets if it gets cancelled on the 12th.

Not to be debbie downer but this is more west and inward then it was a few hours ago

Yep, Trending west. Models are starting to zero in on Key Largo/Miami. Per another site:

Population of Dade, Broward and West Palm = 6.7 million people
shocked.gif

Because the population of South Florida is largely confined to a strip of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Everglades, the Miami urbanized area (that is, the area of contiguous urban development) is about 110 miles (180 km) long (north to south), but never more than 20 miles (32 km) wide, and in some areas only 5 miles (8.0 km) wide (east to west). The Miami metropolitan statistical area is longer than any other urbanized area in the United States except for the New York metropolitan area.

Could get nasty down there.

A question about "confined to your room" statement i have seen. We moved our arrival up to Saturday morning. The only place i was able to get was Bay Lake Tower. Would we be allowed to cross over to Contemporary, or have to stay in BLT?

Unless I decide to cancel, we are arriving Friday and staying at BLT. You can move around the BLT building but you won't be able to go over to the Contemporary. The walkway over there would not be safe in a hurricane.

Having lived on the central gulf coast for 43 years. My advice is if you can avoid it, do so. Reschedule if possible. For somewhere like Orlando (again CURRENT track which changes regularly) its not the wind or rain, though you do have to be mindful of tornado are possible, it's the 2 or 3 weeks of aggravation that follows. Now having said that, I know someone who was at Disney during a TS and said after it was over it was the best ever because the crowds were non existent. So to each their own. Just be safe.
What do you mean by "aggravation"? Frustrated residents getting things fixed up? Stressed airport travelers? Food shortages?

I just wanted to comment on this. The poster originally asked the question (paraphrasing here), "if Disney has no rooms, what will happen?" If Disney has no rooms, then yes, you are on your own. I would imagine the chances of that are slim, but they're not zero. My husband is in management at Disney and a few years back, was a front desk manager. I asked him the question and he said the same thing: if they can possibly accommodate you in any way, they will (although you may end up paying rack rate for a room) but if they physically have nowhere to put you, there's nothing they can do about that. Again, the possibility of that is very low, but it's not zero.

I'm sure I'm the poster they meant. :) Disney has no obligation to find shelter for anyone whose vacation dates are over, especially if guests are delaying their arrival until the dates you're leaving. If you take the risk to go, you take the risk of being left without a place to go afterward. To count on a hotel to allow you to stay indefinitely is naive.

For folks flying in the following weekend (like 8-10 days from now), what can be expected for food supplies, etc.? Will Disney parks/resorts have plenty of food? Or could there be issues with supply chain disruption? Obviously we're looking at a range here based on how hard Orlando gets hit.

A room an Kidani just opened up so I am moving over there now. Wasn't super thrilled about all the windows at BLT during a Hurricane anyways. We are booked at Copper Creek starting Sun 10th. So will be moving over there then. Still planning on going as of now. Will make final decision later tomorrow or Friday when projections are a "little" more clear.

Switched our dates to late in October :D

But now I keep getting the busy signal for ticket services to change our MNSSHP tickets. Anyone else having issues getting through?

What do you mean by "aggravation"? Frustrated residents getting things fixed up? Stressed airport travelers? Food shortages?

For me where I live, its the no power or sometimes water, downed trees, gas lines, could be food shortages. Just a culmination of everything

Where are you driving from? I am coming from SC, and having the same debate about coming early early Tuesday. Think the roads will be good? And which way are you choosing to drive in?
I'm coming from NW Florida ..Destin, so the roads from here to 75 will be fine, after that going south should be light since everybody that evacuates will either have left or be staying somewhere else other than south Fl..at least for a day or 2.
95 will will be a nightmare anytime, unless you like bumper to bumper traffic at 80 mph +:hyper:

I'm sure I'm the poster they meant. :) Disney has no obligation to find shelter for anyone whose vacation dates are over, especially if guests are delaying their arrival until the dates you're leaving. If you take the risk to go, you take the risk of being left without a place to go afterward. To count on a hotel to allow you to stay indefinitely is naive.

Not trying to start an argument, or back and forth, but you responded to me, and to simply answer "you'd be on your own" and not give this extra information in your first post...didn't help this worried planner. And I'm not sure your information is accurate, as after talking with Disney chat, I was told that they have plans in place for this type of situation, and most likely have rooms set aside for travelers who have flight changes.

My dh was there for hurricane Matthew. They tried more then just rooms. They made a shelter out of the convention center with cots but there is only so much room. But disney certainly did everything they could in this regard.

I just wanted to comment on this. The poster originally asked the question (paraphrasing here), "if Disney has no rooms, what will happen?" If Disney has no rooms, then yes, you are on your own. I would imagine the chances of that are slim, but they're not zero. My husband is in management at Disney and a few years back, was a front desk manager. I asked him the question and he said the same thing: if they can possibly accommodate you in any way, they will (although you may end up paying rack rate for a room) but if they physically have nowhere to put you, there's nothing they can do about that. Again, the possibility of that is very low, but it's not zero.

Your clarity leans more towards where I was coming from. I don't feel that Disney would be "hey, you're on your own", leaving it at that. Especially under hurricane conditions.
I didn't comment to debate the issue, moreover, I commented because the answer given falls well below Disney standards. :)

Take care everyone.

And GAS is a problem. The few gas stations that have gas have lines about 45 cars deep for one or two remaining pumps.

I've been following along with this thread. I'm not all the way through it yet, but wanted to give you all the opportunity to make fun of me. When I read the first sentence of the above post, I actually sat there for a good 10 seconds to ponder...hmmm...What does GAS stand for?!?

Ummm...duh...it means gas...the stuff you put in your car. Gotta love the DIS....land of the acronyms. My head was in acronym mode as soon as I saw the capital letters!:rotfl:

Stay safe everyone! And good luck to everyone trying to sort out their plans...it's not easy!

My dh was there for hurricane Matthew. They tried more then just rooms. They made a shelter out of the convention center with cots but there is only so much room. But disney certainly did everything they could in this regard.

THIS...exactly this, thank you for this helpful information! This is an example the disney chat cast member told me as well. Would just be nice to have accurate information given when many of us are just worried and stressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter