Hurricane Irma?

I did just hear that the latest models are trending that the system has <5% chance of entering the Gulf. The spaghetti model tracks seem to have more runs on the eastern side of the center-line.
Well I'm hoping it goes east coast vs west. I really am not expecting my first hurricane as a Florida resident to be a cat 5 experience

Was shopping around town here in Tallahassee and over hearing others surprised at the empty shelves so early in the process

Is Disney still accepting hotels reservations for this weekend? It says not one room is available on the website.

With a storm like this, the locals in the south move up to take shelter. You wont find many hotels with open rooms in central fl.

those pics are damage from storm surge along coast not just the wind, google the hotel name the people that died there were having a hurricane party

Yes, a 25 foot storm surge finished off the building - after the 200+ mph winds had torn away the roof and most of the front facade. As for the "hurricane party" you referenced, that is a myth:

http://camille.passchristian.net/hurricane_party.htm

Last edited:

I've been lurking since the beginning but finally decided to make a post.

I'm also a Houstonian who was affected by Harvey and was excited to plan a trip to Gainesville to see an old friend with a side trip to WDW. I would've flown to Gainesville 9/9 and taken the bus to Orlando 9/10, and my fiance would've flown in from Texas on the evening of 9/10. Disney days planned 9/11-9/13 with MNSSHP on 9/12. I didn't think I'd have a problem getting to Gainesville, but I didn't want to the run the risk of me getting stuck there or that only one of us would've made it to WDW on Sunday when Irma's scheduled to come close to Orlando.

Due to work, I wouldn't be allowed to make a last minute decision to change my vacation, so I ended up canceling everything today and pleading with my supervisors to move my vacation to 9/16 instead. I know some of the optimists are thinking that this hurricane will make a sharper turn north earlier or just go straight into the Gulf but for me, it wasn't worth the long nights worrying and watching for the next few days and risking having no vacation at all.

As far as canceling everything. Tickets can easily be reused until date of expiration if you haven't left yet. My hotel was thankfully refundable, but my flight was not. But that is why I use Chase Sapphire or an equivalent card (I read a few Citi Visa cards are similar). My card has travel insurance of up to $10,000 per person for travel cancellation. One of the reasons for travel cancellation is severe weather that prevents any reasonable/prudent person from starting or continuing a trip. I started my claim form today with the help of a bank associate and was assured that me and my fiance meet the terms and should expect our trip to be covered. I saved one of the National Weather Service news articles detailing the foreseen impact on Florida for to hit home the severity of the storm should this all end up blowing over. It's a hassle collecting all the paperwork, but it is an option for some people who can't just eat up the costs of canceling/rescheduling a vacation. The trip cancellation protection covers travel (airline, bus, etc) and hotel if the tickets were not refundable. I was told that my Disney tickets would've also been refundable had they been purchased as a package. Just a thought for people who might not have realized their credit cards have some travel insurance coverage. FYI, I don't work for and have no affiliation with Chase at all.

Haven't read recent posts, but wanted to throw out there that Frontier Airlines has issued the Travel Advisory to include Orlando thru 9/12. We went ahead and rebooked to the following weekend.

On the fence here too. We are supposed to leave ny on Friday evening and check in @ ft wilderness Monday. Been planning this trip to Celebrate my sons hs graduation for the past year and now it's hard sit and wait to decide what to do we did buy travel insurance and are debating whether we should push the trip back a few days and hopefully can keep our free dining plan idk. I think we are going to start our trip as planned and play it by ear the closer we get to FL

Haven't read recent posts, but wanted to throw out there that Frontier Airlines has issued the Travel Advisory to include Orlando thru 9/12. We went ahead and rebooked to the following weekend.
Man, I hate Frontier. They are offering ONE free change in itinerary to travel NO LATER THAN October 15, 2017. Gee, thanks, Frontier.

Been lurking since there was only ten pages...

Here is what I'm doing. Original plan was fly in the afternoon of the 10th and leave the 14th. Since Southwest is letting flight times move for free, we moved our flight up to Saturday morning in hopes of getting in before MCO shuts down. There were rooms at Pop Century as of an hour ago.

If nothing happens, we have an extra day. If the storm causes closures, we don't lose our whole trip. If all hell breaks loose before Saturday, we cancel.

Since money was a factor. This was the only option that gave me the best odds of success.

Good luck, all!

We are cancelling tomorrow. After seeing the news and talking to some friends in Orlando, they are telling me do not come. They told me people are getting out of dodge. Guess I will be on the phone tomorrow for a looooong time :(

Nice to hear that hopefully american will have Orlando on the list soon. Schedule to leave Sunday want to leave on Friday to make sure we get there

Well shoot. A while back I said we were considering cancelling our 9/10-9/15 trip and pushing it forward a week or so. Well there goes that idea...no availability for a DVC studio anywhere the following week. So my option is to lose the vacation completely.

Do you think it would be ok to come down on Tuesday or would the roads be really crazy.....

No one can possibly predict now what the situation in Florida is going to be a week from now. Also keep in mind that mandatory evacuations are already being ordered by the Governor, so even if Florida does not get hit hard, the return traffic situation may be a mess then.

Last edited:
Been lurking since there was only ten pages...

Here is what I'm doing. Original plan was fly in the afternoon of the 10th and leave the 14th. Since Southwest is letting flight times move for free, we moved our flight up to Saturday morning in hopes of getting in before MCO shuts down. There were rooms at Pop Century as of an hour ago.

If nothing happens, we have an extra day. If the storm causes closures, we don't lose our whole trip. If all hell breaks loose before Saturday, we cancel.

Since money was a factor. This was the only option that gave me the best odds of success.

Good luck, all!
Hi! Hope your plan works out. We thought about doing that all, but when you switch your SW reservations, I was told your ticket then goes to nonrefundable. Aka if something happens and you have to cancel altogether, you're out of luck or only get a travel voutcher in its stead. Did you get that same information, or are you just willing to swallow the cost in the case that Sat morning flight is canceled, or if you decide to cancel your entire trip?

Not trying to be rude but for those who have already cancelled or moved reservations, could I please request you cancel dining reservations?

At this time (and things may change at a moments notice) we are still going but I'm guessing we'll miss some of our dining reservations if parks and restaurants are closed. Hoping to rebook some of them later in the week.

Stay safe everyone.

Is Disney still accepting hotels reservations for this weekend? It says not one room is available on the website.
The website seems to be under a huge load, looking at rooms is even glitchier than normal. It keeps saying that booking is down and they're working to restore it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter