Hurricane Irma?

Do you think it would be ok to come down on Tuesday or would the roads be really crazy.....

The thing about hurricanes is they aren't like other storms where you get wind or rain or snow or ice .......... you get a whole buffet of things. You get torrential rain which can bring flash flooding and surges, you get high winds that can knock our power, street lights and blow things apart like tornadoes and you get tornadoes. Hurricanes spawn tornadoes.

Once was on gulf coast as hurricane approached. We watched and waited to know what to do. The hurricane parked itself in the gulf moving slow and the mandatory evac happened. We were one of the last ones over the bridge to Tampa as huge waves were crashing over the bridge. We went as far as Busch gardens until we found a room in small hotel. LUCKILY we left a condo so had coolers of food because we spent three days hunkered in that room since the hurricane wasn't moving. I finally had enough, me, Mom, sister, brother, brother's friend and baby took off north. The hurricane was spawning tornadoes so I drove fast (roads empty because everyone was hunkered down) and had family watch the skies. Didn't stop until Gainesville to eat something hot finally.

Just so many things can happen and it depends on where you are, where the eye is, how big the winds are, how fast it moves .... and being on the roads is never a good thing. If you can wait and not head into that I would wait, if you are there and need to leave consider the "what ifs" ... bumper to bumper, no gas, no hotel rooms, no food. I experienced that with a blizzard (on way to WDW) and it was insane. I had cooler of food I kept under blankets because each time you stopped folks were going a bit nutty looking for food. Folks sleeping in Waffle House. Mass evacuations are nothing you want to be caught in if you don't have to.

And of course we just don't know where it will go so hundreds of thousands of people on a skinny peninsula will likely be scattering all over. Just now on WC they said that the west coast by Ft Meyers could be doing evacs because it may cross over SF and the Everglades will continue to feed it. ...... NOTHING is for sure, so all things must be considered.

Last edited:
We fly in from ne Ohio on Tuesday morning for our first stay at the wilderness Lodge. Thinking of changing flight two Wednesday instead. But I'm reading here the storm should be bought over by Tuesday. Now I don't know? Advice?

Haven't read all the pages. We were suppose to fly out this morning at 6:10 & arrive at 10:35 am. Our trip was Sept 5-13 Had wonderful ADR's (Bon Voyage breakfast, BoG, F&W Wine pairings meal at Italy, F&W seminars) got the elusive FoP 2 times and thrilled with our adult trip. I am sitting at home in Texas today. Harvey was horrible and yes we have been to WDW during Tropical Storms, Depressions, Severe Thunderstorms etc but for us it was not worth chancing it even if Irma turns and heads back out to the Atlantic. Last night we cancelled everything. Was so upset that I could not even discuss booking another trip. Have a niece that is CM at AK and was going down to celebrate her birthday. Concerned about her and her co-workers that I have met. Just hope everyone stays safe.

We fly in from ne Ohio on Tuesday morning for our first stay at the wilderness Lodge. Thinking of changing flight two Wednesday instead. But I'm reading here the storm should be bought over by Tuesday. Now I don't know? Advice?

You're actually lucky from what it seems. Don't make any decisions until you must. Best and most likely case, no problems for you, worse case, I am sure you will be refunded if the parks are severely damaged...

Haven't read all the pages. We were suppose to fly out this morning at 6:10 & arrive at 10:35 am. Our trip was Sept 5-13 Had wonderful ADR's (Bon Voyage breakfast, BoG, F&W Wine pairings meal at Italy, F&W seminars) got the elusive FoP 2 times and thrilled with our adult trip. I am sitting at home in Texas today. Harvey was horrible and yes we have been to WDW during Tropical Storms, Depressions, Severe Thunderstorms etc but for us it was not worth chancing it even if Irma turns and heads back out to the Atlantic. Last night we cancelled everything. Was so upset that I could not even discuss booking another trip. Have a niece that is CM at AK and was going down to celebrate her birthday. Concerned about her and her co-workers that I have met. Just hope everyone stays safe.

I am so sorry to hear all of that. I am so upset I can't think about rebooking either. Were you at least able to be refunded?

Publix at the north side of Jax just had water delivered. People are crowding the stores. They are still acting civil, however I was asked on my way to my car if they still had water as I walked out with a buggy full. 4 drivers pulled up and asked and at least 3 of them had panic in their voices. It's still way too early to panic people.

Last edited:
"For example, in S Florida, tropical-storm-force winds could arrive as early as Friday night but are most likely to begin on Saturday morning."

From the NHC. So if the south starts to feel it Saturday it again makes me think we're good till Sunday.

Same, we are supposed to fly in the 12th from Houston... After our recent Harvey adventures, I really find this Irma thing "inconvenient"... sigh. I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

Seriously though, anyone in the path of this beast should take it very serious, as in have a plan, a sturdy location away from the coast surge, and stock up on 7 to 10 days of essentials... be smart. I've done this many times and the after is always the toughest part. Be safe

Well, after seeing today's forecast we decided that it was best to cancel. We were scheduled to leave early tomorrow morning. DVC member services was excellent and let us move our banked points so we will not lose any. I was also able to get our party tickets refunded.

We have moved our SW flights to LAX instead so now we are going to spend our 25th anniversary trip at DL. It is going to cost us way more oop, since we will have to pay for a room and tickets, we have WDW annual passes, but I think it is the correct decision.
We did the exact same thing except we used our points to book Paradise Pier at DL because we wouldn't be able to use them next year. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter