Hurricane at Disney over Columbus Day Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha I know it's silly because weather changes hourly, but I do follow it the whole week before a trip like a psychotic fangirl. Looks good for Florida now, but my DD flies out of NC and I'm flying out Baltimore and both look to be impacted. So now I will be stalking Matthew for our flights, versus the actual vacation!

In other news, I do like these hurricane threads if for no other reason than to see all the other tickers with the same arrival time!! I'm so excited!!
We change planes in Charlotte next Friday so I'm keeping an eye open for this reason myself. Hoping that it stays far enough out to sea to not bother our flight path in to Orlando

Not even professional weather people can tell you what Matthew will do on October 9. He's currently going to mess with Jamaica big time, then Cuba and the Bahamas, but if he continues on his current course as shown by NOAA he will miss Florida. the issue is that he could change direction at any time. Unless he slows down a lot he should be well past Florida by Sunday.

NOAA is not projecting Matthew to be mild...he's bordering on a Category 3 and he is probably going to do a job on Jamaica in the next couple of days. but that's today, not 10 days from now.

10 day out? The weather changes by the minute. Just stay calm and go with the flow.. and like others have stayed here don't fall for the doom and gloom of the news weather reports.

Anyone got a weather person in the family that can tell us what Matthew may end up doing?

Before I moved here, I chased storms down because so many people panic and don't come for no reason. The crowds are generally lower. Also you have to look at the history of hurricane and central florida, not that many have actually hit here. As long as your travel isn't impacted and your not concerned about your home there is no reason to stay away. Disney has very few days closed for either a storm or repair work after a storm. We all know disney, they take 5 years to build something. Even the last hurricane that hit in the evening, disney opened for free for the morning. You'll have a great week and it might be one of your best weeks at disney ever if most people coming panic and stay away.

The biggest threat is going to be rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

However the biggest benefit is that it is likely to scare a bunch of people off and open up a bunch of reservations at restaurants I haven't been able to get reservations for :-)

My hope is the weather Channel goes bonkers hyping this thing up and scaring the pants off of everybody so I can finally get my Cinderella's Royal table reservation hee hee

The biggest threat is going to be rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

However the biggest benefit is that it is likely to scare a bunch of people off and open up a bunch of reservations at restaurants I haven't been able to get reservations for :-)

My hope is the weather Channel goes bonkers hyping this thing up and scaring the pants off of everybody so I can finally get my Cinderella's Royal table reservation hee hee

Looks like Bermuda is going to get hit with the weather aspect if not the storm -- the days we are docked it is showing 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms 24/7! :(

We are arriving Sun Oct 2nd through Sat Oct 8th, saw this morning Matthew is tracking more West now...we have MNSSHP tickets for Tues and now I'm worried, this was the one thing my son requested to do before leaving into the Navy Oct 25...I know we can't control the weather..I just really was hoping it was nice experience for him.

Even at the last minute things can change. Many years ago, I was living in Savannah, GA. Hugo was heading straight for Savannah. I'm in the medical field and worked at a Level 1 trauma center. Lucky me, I was chosen to spend the night to prepare for the onslought of injuries. I spent the night sleeping on a stretcher waiting for patients that never arrived because Hugo suddenly turned north and slammed into Charleston, SC. I'm sure it doesn't happen like that very often, but it could. With that in mind I wouldn't change my plans because you just never know where the darned things are going to make landfall.

As of now it looks to be passing FL around the 5-6th and unless it dramatically veers right orlando shouldn't get more then heavier rains

you might want to check the reports again. FL looks in play
I did. Still looks to be miss hitting FL to me. Though it's too early to know anything, of course. There isn't a soul in the world that knows what it's going to do in the future. Not a single one.

Last edited:
One of the nice things about Matthew turning north is where it's turning north. It will encounter the mountains of Cuba, Jamaica, and Haiti. That should help to weaken the storm. And if it continues tracking as the models predict, Orlando shouldn't notice Matthew being in the neighbourhood.

I was there for Wilma in 2005. Didn't turn out to be a major problem for Disney, southern Florida hit much harder. Parks did close for the day. Cirque building had a little damage. After the hurricane we had beautiful weather. Hope same is true next week, we arrive on Oct 8th for a week at OKW.

The models keep on bouncing around with the position after it goes through Cuba. It seems like it will be able to regain strength to a Category 3 once it gets over the Bahamas. Like the hurricane center has said, it's just simply too early to rule out a Florida impact. The storm is so big that even if it doesn't directly hit Florida the outer bands could be like a tropical storm. Once it goes through Cuba the forecast for the US should become much more clear/reliable.

I was there for Wilma in 2005. Didn't turn out to be a major problem for Disney, southern Florida hit much harder. Parks did close for the day. Cirque building had a little damage. After the hurricane we had beautiful weather. Hope same is true next week, we arrive on Oct 8th for a week at OKW.

MK and Epcot opened at 2:00 after Wilma departed. We were there and the Beach Boys concert went off as scheduled for F&W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter