Hurricane at Disney over Columbus Day Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing you have to remember is the 1 line in the center of the cone is not necessarily where the eye will be. Right now the 5 day out cone on the NHC site does extend into Florida East Coast. That means it could be over some land, right near the coast, smack dab in the middle of the cone or far west in the cone. The winds around the eye of a Cat 3 which it is predicted to be 5 days out will still be cat 2 hurricane force some distance out and then cat 1 farther out, until it gets to tropical storm level. The bands of rain and lightning could/will hit us even if it stays out in the ocean. Of course it is too soon to tell where it will go. It's direction will depend on the front coming down and the ridge in the Atlantic and how they effect it. The ocean temp here East of Disney is till 85 degrees so prime temp for hurricanes. They state there is an error factor of 175-250 miles for the cones. Think Charley and how far off it was from Tampa or Wilma that was not even supposed to come near SE Florida. And then if you think about Jeanne----all of us in Central Florida breathed a sigh of relief when it stayed far out and got farther North and then it did a loop and came South and got us as a Cat3. Just don't tune Mathew out. Keep an eye out; but Disney is a good safe area and the staff and CMs will do everything they can to keep you safe.

So here's my question... If Matthew does impact Florida and we have Tropical Storm or Hurricane type weather here at WDW what will happen to my family's MNSSHP tics for Thursday 10/6? I've heard I can go to Guest Relations in MK on party night to get comp tics for Friday's party, but what if the weather is too bad to even try to go to the party on Thursday in the first place? I'm really wishing we would have not purchased in advance this year as there have only been 2 sold out nights so far

So here's my question... If Matthew does impact Florida and we have Tropical Storm or Hurricane type weather here at WDW what will happen to my family's MNSSHP tics for Thursday 10/6? I've heard I can go to Guest Relations in MK on party night to get comp tics for Friday's party, but what if the weather is too bad to even try to go to the party on Thursday in the first place? I'm really wishing we would have not purchased in advance this year as there have only been 2 sold out nights so far

We have tickets for 10/6 as well, but our trip is just a long weekend to check out MNSSHP for the first time. We're just there 10/6-9. I keep watching and hoping for the best! I'll be really bummed if our very first MNSSHP, and the sole reason we are driving 10-12 hours, is rained out. I'm not worried about being safe. I live in Louisiana so I understand hurricanes. I know we will be kept safe in WDW. I just don't want it to be a tropical storm wash out!

Me too. Party on the 6th, as it best fit my trip, and I hope no rain. Here's to good vibes and thoughts that Matthew stays far out to sea.

We have tickets for 10/6 as well, but our trip is just a long weekend to check out MNSSHP for the first time. We're just there 10/6-9. I keep watching and hoping for the best! I'll be really bummed if our very first MNSSHP, and the sole reason we are driving 10-12 hours, is rained out. I'm not worried about being safe. I live in Louisiana so I understand hurricanes. I know we will be kept safe in WDW. I just don't want it to be a tropical storm wash out!

Me too. Party on the 6th, as it best fit my trip, and I hope no rain. Here's to good vibes and thoughts that Matthew stays far out to sea.

@skuttle this will be our first MNSSHP too! I watched the boards religiously last year at this time, to get a feel for things this year. This year is so different than last year. I was expecting multiple sold out nights in advance so I bought our tics in June... I hope we get great weather, especially with you only coming for the long weekend, as we took the whole week (we're here now), and should have a couple park days that are good before we leave next Saturday.

@Lynne G "Think Happy Thoughts! Think Happy Thoughts! Think Happy Thoughts!" Lol

I am not worried at all about the hurricane winds that does not seem to be an issue at all but it is a concern about the rain

Saturday evening in the Magic Kingdom felt like a hurricane because the rain was relentless.

Our other day in the Magic Kingdom is going to be on Friday

So, the Governor of FL just declared a state of emergency for the state. It seems to me a little early to make that call:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...cane-matthew-moving-north-20161003-story.html
It appears that we'll get rain Weds through Friday, but the weekend should be nice.

P.S. - I also have tickets for MNSSHP for Thurs. Planning to bring ponchos and rainboots, but still going if the park is open.
Way too early. I bet he did it to get the federal funding pot cracked open or something. Because right now it's too unknown .

Last edited:
I was feeling positive this morning, then they shifted the darn thing so far west. Ugh! I'm afraid we may end up driving down for nothing since Thursday (our mnsshp night) isn't looking good.

We're driving in Friday evening from N/W Florida. We'll be in the parks Friday to Monday. Hopefully the worst will move on out by Friday night and we'll have a great weekend. It does worry me some as the track seems to be shifting more west on each update.

Unfortunately, it is getting worse and worse. The storm is still gaining strength before it hits Haiti and the models continue to shift west. The official hurricane center track now has more of Florida in the "cone of uncertainty" and keeps the storm as a major hurricane (category 3). This is a very big storm and even if the eye stays off the coast, most of the FL peninsula will be affected. It's time for those with plans on Thursday & Friday to start mulling their options. I expect a hurricane watch to be issued for the SE coast of FL tomorrow morning if the models continue their westwardly shift.

Coming from Philly on the 11th and scared that is when it will be hitting us and our flight will be cancelled.

Coming from Philly on the 11th and scared that is when it will be hitting us and our flight will be cancelled.
Current models have it going off to sea after it moves up along the FL/GA/Carolinas coast. Northeast should be fine, especially that far inland.

Last 2 forecasts have moved the track closer to FL.

Monday 11PM forecast has a 56% probability of tropical storm force winds in Orlando, but just a 6% probability of hurricane force. Peak probabilities are from 8PM Wednesday 10/5 to 8PM Friday 10/7 (this far out, probabilities are for 24-hour periods.)

The current track has it closest to Miami a little before 8PM Thursday, and closest to Jacksonville a little past 8PM Friday.

Saturday & Sunday are forecast to be beautiful in Orlando.

Last edited:
At around 9 pm they started to tie everything down but stayed opened till midnight. Hurricanes blow through fast.

I have Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise booked Thursday night. I'm beginnng to think that isn't going to happen, if our flight even goes as planned.

It's been a really bad month for my family and I have so looked forward to this trip and now...

Feeling like I can't catch a break yet not all that surprised. ☹️

I have Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise booked Thursday night. I'm beginnng to think that isn't going to happen, if our flight even goes as planned.

It's been a really bad month for my family and I have so looked forward to this trip and now...

Feeling like I can't catch a break yet not all that surprised. ☹️
:grouphug:

Ugh we are supposed to tent camp this weekend starting on Friday at the fort. Will Disney extend cancellation deadlines in these circumstances?

Ugh we are supposed to tent camp this weekend starting on Friday at the fort. Will Disney extend cancellation deadlines in these circumstances?

At one point in time, when hurricanes were on the way, these reservations got moved to value resorts for the same camping price you were paying. I don't know if this is still the case or at what warning level this policy is (was) triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter