• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long after AP codes come out do General codes come out?

NvrBnToWDW

Mouseketeer
I'm a newbie to WDW and codes, I was wondering how much longer does it usually take for the general codes. A week, a day? :sad2:

I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT....

On another website (the one that posted the AP & FL resident codes before anyone else) it said that the general public codes look VERY doubtful for April-June.

Oh how I hope this person is wrong. What makes me worry is that this person (on the other website) had advanced notice of these codes. He/she seems to be in the know and if he/she is right, they do not think Disney will be issuing public codes until the fall.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this person is wrong.

I thought the General codes came out first. I think I remember this last year because I booked with the general code then the AP came out and I pondered the price difference and if it was worth getting an AP.

I hope the general public codes do come out too...but the AP discounts don't look incredibly deep. Just for giggles, I assumed that the general public discount was the same as the AP discount. All in all, getting the equivilant to the AP discount would only save me $95 over the course of 5 nights. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have an extra $95 for my trip. But the difference is not so much that I'd be heartbroken if I didn't get a discount.

Oddly enough, this makes me feel better!

From what I have read here on the DIS...they came out the SAME day last year. (March 9th). I am hoping for general codes soooooooo much!!! Keep our fingers crossed!

After seeing the discounts this year v. last year for mods and values, I'll be surprised if general codes are offered for the spring/early summer. I hope I'm wrong, because I know lots of people are waiting for them, but based on the rates people are getting for values/mods, I somewhat doubt it.

SDFgirl said:
I hope the general public codes do come out too...but the AP discounts don't look incredibly deep. Just for giggles, I assumed that the general public discount was the same as the AP discount. All in all, getting the equivilant to the AP discount would only save me $95 over the course of 5 nights.

How do you figure? POR is where I'm staying in May for $109 plus tax. It was $149 plus tax. That's $40 or $200 difference (we're saving almost $300 with tax for 7 nights). How did you get $95 difference at POR? Worth buying an AP for if general codes don't come out. . AP discounts are usually a tad less per night than the general, and the same as a post card..

DMRick said:
How do you figure? POR is where I'm staying in May for $109 plus tax. It was $149 plus tax. That's $40 or $200 difference (we're saving almost $300 with tax for 7 nights). How did you get $95 difference at POR? Worth buying an AP for if general codes don't come out. . AP discounts are usually a tad less per night than the general, and the same as a post card..

I'm sorry if I wasn't clearer. I have the AAA rate for May, which is $126 plus tax. So, I figured...

126 (AAA rate) minus 109 (AP code) = $17 a night differnce

$17 per night x 5 nights = $85 difference

Then I added some tax in, rounded it up to approximately $95. Which, believe me!! - I would love to save the extra money. But, I won't feel like I'm getting "robbed" if I don't get the general code. (I'm sure I'm just rationalizing to make myself feel better because I have a feeling the general codes aren't coming out! :rotfl: )

Congrats on getting the $109 rate! And have a wonderful vacation! :earsboy:

A general code for us at WL would save us $600. Now that is substantial savings. We always swore we would not go without a discount. Sure hope we don't have to cancel. My DH keeps asking me....did we get that discount yet?

d96j97,

My husband keeps asking me the same question, "did we get that discount yet?" This whole process is driving me crazy!!!!

As I have stated earlier, from what I am reading on many different forums, it doesn't look ggod for those of waiting for public codes :guilty: :guilty: :crazy:

This was going to be our first on site visit as we usually stay off when we go. So I'm very dissapointed that its not looking like there will be a general code. I'm sure LOTS of others will not be happy either. I noticed a few other posters saying this is there first onsite trip too. Not very smart for Disney as far as I am concerned. If staying onsite is so much better than off site then they should be offering the discounts to those who have never stayed in the resorts to get them from staying offsite to staying there. There is a HUGE number of people who stay offsite regularly and maybe (like us) offering a discount will entice them to stay onsite just once.....and if its as magical as they say it is....they'll keep staying onsite. JMO. I have waited a long time for a code and held out on booking (didnt want to be one of those who book and cancel) now I am just over a month away from our visit and I'm not very happy about this. Historically those codes come out every year and the one year I decice to maybe give it a try....they arent offering general codes. Having never stayed onsite I refuse to pay rack for what I'm not sure I will really be impressed with. I guess its off site for us again this year....which has always been fine before. Shame on you Disney. OK I vented now I feel better!!

aimeeme,

I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!! My story is almost the exact same as yours. I have NEVER stayed on site, 4 trips in the past 5 years and I could never afford to stay on site.

Well after joining these boards this past July, I learned about these codes and realized that I COULD afford it!! So we planned our next trip for this July and of course this would have to be the first year they do not issue public codes.

We only go once a year which does not warrant AP's and many times we get our park tickets at a discount or sometimes free (BIL works for a disney company) so it really doesn't make sense to buy an AP.

In short if the, if codes do not come out, we are back to staying offsite.....

I was hoping for a general code, but I'm fine with my AAA discount.

I called this morning to get the AP rate;which is only $9.85 less than AAA. I hung up after holding for about an hour. I really want the dining plan. The AAA may cost more, but at least I'll get what I want.

bumping....comon all of you waiting for gen codes....speak up!!!! We deserve a discount too!

It has nothing to do with 'deserving' a discount or Disney not being very smart. Codes are only offered if there are rooms that need to be filled.

Since a customer with an AP is (supposed to be) a customer who is planning to come to wdw multiple times, offering them a last minute discount is good business in trying to fill rooms that would otherwise go empty.

Then, if they still have rooms left, offering a general code can help fill rooms.

If you have already booked your room hoping for a code, then you are basically shooting yourself in the foot, cuz that is one less room that 'needs' to be filled by offering a discount.

Like any other business, if Disney has excess inventory (rooms) to move the offer a sale (codes), but if they can fill those rooms at full price, it's kinda stupid of them to offer a code.

If you look at some of the posts from this morning a lot of AP holders could not get codes for the hotels (or dates) they were looking for. Since tourism is bouncing back in Orlando, the codes may be fewer and farther between this year.

Now, maybe Late summer and early fall will see a drop in occupancy and more codes as people have last year's hurricanes still fresh in their minds. If that's the case, than wdw may have to offer more (and deeper) discounts.

I know lots were saying the rooms are full, there wouldn't be AP's, now some are saying, won't be general codes...however, my email this morning said, because I held an AP, they were offering me the discounts first. First over who? I would think first over the general codes.

A general code for us at WL would save us $600
For that amount of savings, wouldn't it be worth buying an AP for, and using that as your ticket media? Add to that some of the other discounts you get fro having an AP, that's good savings.

I'm hoping for a general code (or Disney VISA). Right now I have an AAA rate. I'd be happy if a general code matched that because then I wouldn't have to fork out $65 to join AAA. Not too hopeful though.

Liz said:
I'm hoping for a general code (or Disney VISA). Right now I have an AAA rate. I'd be happy if a general code matched that because then I wouldn't have to fork out $65 to join AAA. Not too hopeful though.

I think you may eventually find that you're happy you joined AAA. A few years ago, I joined AAA for the express purpose of saving money on my disney reservation. Since then, I have renewed every year. I never had a desire to join AAA but I find that it's a huge comfort to me when I'm driving out and about and I'm alone. I've used them twice - once for an unlock and once when I ran out of gas. Plus you get all kinds of other services, like discount tickets to other attractions (THERE ARE OTHER ATTRACTIONS BESIDES WDW?!? :rotfl: ) and TripTiks.

Just a thought! Have a terrific vacation! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter