How is swimming in March

buzz1fan

DIS Veteran
We plan on going mid-late March, and wondered if we will be able to swim in the hotel pools okay. We have always gone in the summer, so we are not sure about the weather.

We went March 27- April 5 this year. It was beautiful, 80's most days. Spent a day at Typhoon Lagoon which closed once it was full. Definitely warm enough when we were there.

March in Florida is similar to June in New England; sometimes hot as Hades, sometimes really cold. Bring your swimsuits just in case, but realize that you may not be able to use them.

Wow, I may need to rethink then. We use the pools each day that is imporatant to us. We plan on going March 22-March 27. I thought I read that the pools are heated.

we swam in january and february. this past trip in march it was HOT, so of course we got to swim.

We go almost every March and only one time was it too cold to swim. It is usually in the 80's and pretty humid.
As far as the pools being heated.... I thought they were. I was there in Feb one time and it was about 60 degrees and the pool was STEAMING.

I have gone in Feb many, many times and always been able to swim for at least part of the trip. We also went in March 2008 and were able to swim every day, except one day when it rained. You need not worry about it being too cold to swim in late March.

I had gone for years and years over spring break as a child. I will be at Universal March 27-30 for a cheer competition. I plan on bringing my suit! If you get a cool day it will be a random thing. The Disney pools are heated to somewhere over 80 degrees. It will be fine! :)

We went the 2nd week of March in 2004. The day we had set aside to go to TL was the first day there. It was so cold that day that my youngest DS (5 at the time, and small for his age) was shaking so badly that I had to carry him and his lips were turning a light shade of blue. It was so cold that we had to leave early. As we were leaving a life guard told us that it was 60. The rest of the time, it was chilly enough in the morning that we wore fleece pull overs with our shorts. However, by about 10 or so, they were tied around our waste.

I've stayed on property in the months of Nov, Dec, Feb, March, and April. Sometimes I was able to swim, other times, the pool just wasn't heated enough. Depends on your personal preferences as well.

Pack your swim suit and hope for the best!

It's not whether the POOL is warm enough, it's the outside AIR that is the issue.

In order to be comfortable when you get OUT, when you swim, the air temperature should not vary by more than 10 degrees from the water temperature (i.e. if the AIR is more than 10 degrees colder than the water, you will feel uncomfortable, no matter how warm the water is, which is why when you get out of a hot bathtub, you feel cold even though your didn't PRIOR to getting in the tub).

If the pools are heated to 80-85, but the air is 65-70, you will NOT want to be swimming. Your kids might, but kids are crazy. :sad2:

It's not whether the POOL is warm enough, it's the outside AIR that is the issue.

In order to be comfortable when you get OUT, when you swim, the air temperature should not vary by more than 10 degrees from the water temperature (i.e. if the AIR is more than 10 degrees colder than the water, you will feel uncomfortable, no matter how warm the water is, which is why when you get out of a hot bathtub, you feel cold even though your didn't PRIOR to getting in the tub).

Who made up that rule? If you are uncomfortable when you get out of the pool for the 10 seconds it takes to wrap a towel around you, that doesn't mean that you will be uncomfortable swimming before that.

Who made up that rule? If you are uncomfortable when you get out of the pool for the 10 seconds it takes to wrap a towel around you, that doesn't mean that you will be uncomfortable swimming before that.

We swam in February - in the afternoons. It was chilly when we got out - we grabbed a towel and warmed right up.

Our family has gone mid march for the last five years. We have always been comfortable swimming. Just thinking about the four feet of snow on the ground back home makes it feel even warmer!!;)

It's not a rule...it's basic science. Evaporation has a cooling effect that becomes way exaggerated when the air temperature is much lower than the water in which your body was just submerged.

I'm not trying to say that anyone is banned from swimming when the temperature is "X" outside vs. the water temperature. However, for me personally, wrapping a towel around me does not suffice to warm me up, when the rest of me is still wet ALL the way back up to my room. That WDW air conditioning is fierce, so you can bet that on an iffy day (like 65-70 degrees), WDW will still be cranking the A/C in the hotel lobbies/hallways, and coupled with the cooler air outside, *I* would probably not go swimming, which is not to say that no one can, but I just don't like being cold and wet like that. I have a lot of thick hair, and it stays wet for a LONG time, so I feel cold for awhile, and it needs to be HOT for me to want to swim.

I last went to WDW mid Feb 2007. It was SO cold that week (there was FROST two nights we were there) that the very idea of swimming was laughable). The temps during the day did not even go past 60, ever.

We are going back next March. Sure, I'd love to swim, and will plan for it (at the very least, the hot tub a couple times), but if it's not HOT, I will not be swimming. I have a pool here at my apartment complex at home that is heated year round, plus we live in a very warm climate, so swimming is not a "must do" for me on vacation.

Since the pools are heated, you should be just fine. Do they heat them in the summer too?

I think they do but only when needed. My goodness.. this July the pool water was warmer than bath water! lol.. I got OUT of the pool to get relief from the heat! :)

The Average High Temperature is 78 F with a historical range of 60 F to 91 F

The Average Low Temperature is 59 F with a historical range of 45 F to 72 F

Go to http://www.wunderground.com
1. Go to the trip planner near the top.
2. Put in orlando, fl and then you dates.
It will give historic temps, winds, humidity, pressure for those dates for the last 10 years or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter