How do you guys do it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences! I'm going to the parks by myself for one day in Sept. and I'm thinking I'll do just fine. It will be a good way to get my feet wet before planning longer solo trips.

TDC Nala said:
It does feel strange sometimes.

I do it mostly because I want to be there, and if I wait for someone else to go along, I'll hardly ever go.

So true. That's probably every other solo's reason, too. :p

I went solo in July of 2002. The biggest obstacles I had to overcome as a solo were:
1st time saying "1" to "how many in your party?"
1st time eating alone
1st time watching the fireworks alone (got all choked up)

After I accomplished those 3 things, the trip suddenly became much easier. I became more confident and started talking to guests and cast members. One night while I was eating dinner, a gentleman asked if I had lost my party, I politely said no and he asked if I came alone, when I said yes, he asked if I wanted to take his 4 kids for a while so he and his wife could have some peace and quiet.
I loved people watching! It was amazing to watch sooo many families get into fights at the happiest place on earth. I also called my sister frequently on cell phone just to tell her what I was doing and what she was missing. She become my cellular tour guide and gave me tips throughout my trip (she loves Disney too). I'm not planning anymore solo trips again, only because my sister will jump at the chance for a trip to Disney. I would definitely go alone again if she decided she did not want to go.

I just got back from Disney on Tuesday. It started off as a solo trip but I let my friends come, too. I craved alone time. All they wanted to do was shop (offsite) and ride up and down International Drive. I wasted 3.5 hours doing that with them one day. If they weren't complaining about the heat, they were complaining about the price of food and not being able to ride this ride because they had this health problem or that health problem. One of my friends just turned 39 but complained of how old she was. I was so mad at myself for letting them convince me they can come with me. It's very frustrating when you have a plan for each day but can't follow it because they don't want to do anything. I can understand that people might not want to follow your itinerary, but when they prevent you from doing what you want to do that is different. Other people can really mess up a solo trip. I made ressies for CRT, Sci-fi Dine Inn, and Le Cellier. They only made it to Le Cellier and it was almost like pulling teeth to get them to do that. What I don't understand is that I printed out and gave both of them the menu to each restaurant before we left home and instead of saying "That is out of my price range" or "I don't like what's on the menu", they simply waited until we got there and never showed up for any of the times we were supposed to eat. No apologies or anything. Just excuses. Next time I go anywhere with anybody, I'll just let them find some place to eat while I make ressies for one.

Jamie77 said:
I just got back from Disney on Tuesday. It started off as a solo trip but I let my friends come, too. I craved alone time. All they wanted to do was shop (offsite) and ride up and down International Drive. I wasted 3.5 hours doing that with them one day. If they weren't complaining about the heat, they were complaining about the price of food and not being able to ride this ride because they had this health problem or that health problem. One of my friends just turned 39 but complained of how old she was. I was so mad at myself for letting them convince me they can come with me. It's very frustrating when you have a plan for each day but can't follow it because they don't want to do anything. I can understand that people might not want to follow your itinerary, but when they prevent you from doing what you want to do that is different. Other people can really mess up a solo trip. I made ressies for CRT, Sci-fi Dine Inn, and Le Cellier. They only made it to Le Cellier and it was almost like pulling teeth to get them to do that. What I don't understand is that I printed out and gave both of them the menu to each restaurant before we left home and instead of saying "That is out of my price range" or "I don't like what's on the menu", they simply waited until we got there and never showed up for any of the times we were supposed to eat. No apologies or anything. Just excuses. Next time I go anywhere with anybody, I'll just let them find some place to eat while I make ressies for one.

Sorry your trip was a bit of a let down due to your friends. But I think you are a marvelous friend. Sounds like you did a bunch of planning for them to make it easier. Even to the point of printing out menus with pricing! That was way above and beyond. You could have just gave them the link. But they probably wouldn't have read that either!

You can plan a trip for me anytime! But let's not have it for the summer. Off season is better. The heat we've all been having and large crowds would even make ME cranky in WDW. :rotfl:

WillCAD said:
... when I go to WDW I feel right at home.

Part of that "at home" feeling simply comes from the fact that I've been to WDW many times and know the place like the back of my hand. And part of it comes from the fact that WDW is completely geared toward making Guests feel welcome no matter what their circumstances. How can you not feel at home in such a beautiful place, with so many CMs who go the extra mile to make your day brighter?

Exactly! The more I go, the more I look forward to the next trip, and I think this is the reason why. My first solo visit was definitely the most awkward, especially at the sit-down restaurants, but the CM's were great about making me feel at home - and I learned what to expect, which made me more comfortable during my next vacation.

I love the self-indulgence of wandering to fit my own plans - or sudden whims - and being able to take the time and notice details that I tend to miss when I'm with other people (like the tile at the Moroccan pavilion or the queue theming at KRR). The only thing I've avoided as a solo is the MK because I think it would make me miss my kids as well as feel too guilty to enjoy it.

In more than 20 trips to the world, I have never gone solo (far, far from it; I usually travel in packs! Once we took 4 generations with us and this long before "Magical Gatherings"), but I don't rule it out and, in general, although everyone thinks of me as a people person, I ADORE being by myself.

Though the truth is that condition doesn't usually last long. For example, a couple weeks ago I went down to a Phillies game solo (for a businessman's special while my partner was working), and though I've had a nodding aquaintence with the season ticket holders to my right and in back of me all season, for that game - while by myself - we all chatted up a storm for at least 5 innings. So... hardly alone! :rotfl2:

I expect it would be much the same should I travel to the world solo. Even now, with my family, we are always getting into the best conversations with CMs and guests.

This thread brought back memories of last summer when I was parked at FW for three weeks and my kindred spirit friend of many years in all things Disney drove over to join me for a few days. Now she is the type who is not prone to do things alone and her motto is, "I need a leader". One morning I told her I had business in Orlando and would have to leave her on her own for the day.

She was a bit apprehensive but I reminded her where she was. When we met up that evening she was positively glowing! :goodvibes She said she had the best time she had ever had just doing whatever she wanted to do and seeing and eating whatever she wanted. She said she had thought she would feel self-conscience but because she got caught up in the wonder of lingering and looking and not rushing from ride to ride with family, being alone was pure joy! :cool1: She still talks about that trip and her big day in the world all by herself. Trust me when I say she had really stepped out of her comfort zone. :sunny:

I love taking friends and family and showing them the magic, but when I do my mindset is different. It's about them and I slow to their pace and likes. But like other's have said when you are solo it's all about what you like and you can linger. I think I am very lucky to be able to get up on a day off from work and say, "I think I need a break, I need to chill, and grab my season pass and head over to the world and do just that....all by myself.

Singles line here I come!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter