How do you guys do it.

stemikger

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

I just need to know, how do you guys go to Disney alone. I do some things solo, like go to the movies, go to fast food places and shopping, but I just couldn't do Disney alone. In fact, I'm not sure if I could do any vacation alone. Maybe it's my personality, but I would feel strange being by myself.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not condeming it - I actually think it's awesome, but I know I just couldn't do it. In fact, last year when I went on a couple of rides by myself I felt a little out of place.

Can you guys give me some tips and some perspectives on how you do it.

Thanks

It does feel strange sometimes.

I do it mostly because I want to be there, and if I wait for someone else to go along, I'll hardly ever go.

Although I am married now, I did not marry young. I too, did not want to go places alone, but realized as the yrs rolled on, my friends were married, had children, not the same interests or off on business & if I wanted to go somewhere I had 2 choices:
1) sit & wish & sigh
2) go by myself
it wasn't easy at first, I did feel uncomfortable. I learned to bring reading material to restaurants, sit in the vicinity of family groups (safer for females), chat more in group situations. Group tours can be a good first step. You can strike up aquaintences easily. You'll soon get the hang of it & will wonder why you hesitated at all!
:goodvibes
Jean

I guess I'm just the opposite from you. I don't know how you can not want to go alone! (OK, I admit you are probably the more normal of the 2 of us!!!! :) )

I need to be alone once in awhile, and even when I am there with my family I sneak off by myself once in awhile. When DD went to college for the first time, one of the first things I did was plan a solo trip. I think people were thinking that I was just out of my mind with grief from "losing her", but really I just thought of it as my big chance!

I love soaking in all the magic by myself, with no one saying, "You're going to ride the Peter Pan ride again???", or bored because I'm on a mission to compare t-shirts, or cares if I feel like putting up my feet and watching Sunny at Cosmic Ray's!

Thanks for the insights.

Maybe one day - I'll give it a try. My friends at the Dis will be the first to know.

Keep em coming.

stemikger said:
Hey everyone,

I just need to know, how do you guys go to Disney alone. I do some things solo, like go to the movies, go to fast food places and shopping, but I just couldn't do Disney alone. In fact, I'm not sure if I could do any vacation alone. Maybe it's my personality, but I would feel strange being by myself.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not condeming it - I actually think it's awesome, but I know I just couldn't do it. In fact, last year when I went on a couple of rides by myself I felt a little out of place.

Can you guys give me some tips and some perspectives on how you do it.

Thanks

You have to be more into the WHERE than the shared experience.
I think of it as being like reading a book I can't put down as opposed to discussing that book with a friend. That said, I have to admit that my trips are far more memorable when shared but I like to avoid conflict and compromise and there's nothing like being able to eat when and where you want, and see what you want when you want. However, it's a little one-dimensional. I noticed a big change in the nature of my solo trips when I was joined by Cash, the Wonder Dog. I still don't have to compromise...he doesn't care...and I'm not really solo...I share my trip with hundreds of people who want to meet him.

Moral of the story? You can't force yourself to have a good time solo if you feel your experiences are more 3-dimensional or "real" when shared....
:love: I can't recommend that everyone share their life with a Service Dog, either...most people don't qualify, and the hassle factor is enormous...
Wear a funny hat, maybe.....share your trip with everyone... well, the CMs, anyway...

depends - do you like to do things alone?

go to a movie or out to eat?

if you can a solo trip to WDW might be great for you.

I love my solo trips.

I get to see and do what I want. If I sleep all day no one to call me lazy. If I go to the parks at night - no one to complaint...

I am a sun problem - I am allergic to it. So there are hours when I CAN'T be out in the FLORIDA sun.

11am to 4pm lots of people have a hard time with this.

when I go solo - I don't risk an allergy attacked and ruin the rest of the trip for me.

Last year for my birthday I went to WDW solo for five days... while it was a little odd at times, and I have to admit by the 5th day I was ready to see my friends and family again, I still had a blast for most of the time. The big deal for me was that I got to be selfish, selfish, selfish!

Not that I mind doing what others want to do while at WDW with friends/family, but there is something to be said for only going on the rides you want to, when you want to, eating when and where you want to, hopping from park to park (or not, depending on your preference)... I went on BTMRR twice in a row simply because no one was in line and I wanted to. If someone else had been with me, maybe they would have wanted to go on another ride and of course, having just ridden BTMRR, I would have acquiesced... instead I got to do what I wanted!

Plus I met people... a very nice couple about my age who had just gotten married... sat and talked with them at Epcot for a while.

I'm not saying I'll rush right out and go solo again any time soon.... my girlfriend and I are going together this December... but it certainly was a good experience, and I could recommend it to almost anyone. Another example: I went to AK, road the Kilimanjaro Safari and Dinosaur rides... then left. It was all I wanted to do there. It was nice. I spent half my time at the Studios because of Rock'N'RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror.

Okay now I'm rambling... anyway, a fun time was had by all! (read: me)

Disney is a special place where solos can feel welcome, and strangers talk to each other easily. It may get lonesome sometimes, but I'm doing something I want to do.

As I've gotten older, I ask myself, what is stopping me from doing something solo. FEAR. Fear of what will ppl think, fear of someplace new, fear on not liking it, fear of not fitting in....... on and on. I have many :crazy: :crazy:

It took a lot of years to discover that I let FEAR run my life. I still have to address it, but I try not to let FEAR make my decisions for me.

I have more years behind me than ahead, so I got to make sure I'm doing what I want to do!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

So Disney here I come, solo or not :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

I think the OP might be ready-after all, I've been solo 6 times, but I don't have the courage to go to the movies by myself! First few times I went to WDW solo, the time I felt most uncomfortable was if I did sit-down dining. For the longest time, I only did CS after that. What I enjoyed the most was that I could go on rides DH might laugh at me going on-Triceratop Spin, Dumbo, Cindy's Carousell; and I could talk to anyone in lines. I could get up and go to bed when I wanted, read or go to the park when I wanted, eat when I was hungry, like someone else said-maybe that sounds selfish, but it's definitely fun!

Two things I like to do make soloing WDW more fun:

1) People watch. Pick a bench, watch, laugh.

2) Picture taking. I can take my time looking for the unusual places, special lighting conditions, and not have my family tapping their toes waiting for me.

Originally quoted by Simba's Mom
I've been solo 6 times, but I don't have the courage to go to the movies by myself!

That is so funny Simba's Mom - going to the movies is one thing I truly don't feel funny about. I have been going to the movies alone since I was in my 20s. I'm 41 now.

i just did it for the first time earlier this month and didnt really have a problem. it was great cause you can go wherever you want, whenever you want, and do whatever the heck you want to do at all times. for instance, i monorailed from the POLY to MK for breakfast, then went to EPCOT for the day, monorailed back to CR for lunch, then back to POLY for nap, then back to EPCOT for dinner, then to MK for WISHES. try doing that with a companion, you will make them nuts.

the downside is it is lonely eating meals, and is a little weird standing on lines by yourself. i guess it just depends on your personality.

DW and I have been married for 34 years, and I could not go on vacation to WDW without her....Having said that, I DID go to Epcot twice by myself when DW was working and I had to drive people to Orlando airport. Living in Florida, having Florida residents seasonal passes, and having to go within 12 miles of WDW, makes it very difficult NOT to go there, even alone. I only spent a few hours there each time, rode some of the rides, and had a bite to eat, for me, it felt like there was something missing being alone.

I travel a lot solo now. (got rid of the ex-boyfriend about 3 years ago)

And there is one thing I can say for WDW...if you are a female and traveling alone...there probably isn't a safer place to go. (you may want to skip PI because it really is just a HUGE BAR).

I've travelled to the St Martin, Cuba and Italy alone and I think my family always worried a little about be being by myself in a strange country.

But WDW and staying on the Lot, they had no worries what so ever. They know I am not going to leave the grounds (not after all that money) and there is not language barrier since I am still in North America.

My first WDW solo was in Dec last year (for my birthday...present for me!) and I am doing it again in Sept. You can do what you want like repeat rides, skip rides you never really liked, take picutes and eat where ever you want. Just cater to yourself like very one else wrote.

I would recommend a Solo WDW trip to anyone who liked WDW to begin with.

WDWR

I've been on 6 solo WDW trips so far, not to mention short solo trips for work and play to other destinations over the years, and I love being in control of my own destiny when I travel.

I have never felt odd being alone anywhere... well, I suppose I might feel odd if I were alone at a Lamaze class, or auditioning for the Newlywed Game, but when I go to WDW I feel right at home.

Part of that "at home" feeling simply comes from the fact that I've been to WDW many times and know the place like the back of my hand. And part of it comes from the fact that WDW is completely geared toward making Guests feel welcome no matter what thier circumstances. How can you not feel at home in such a beutiful place, with so many CMs who go the extra mile to make your day brighter?

Look around you next time you're there, and you'll be surprised to see how many other solos there are around you. Maybe after you see how many others there are, you won't feel so "out of place", because in truth, you are not.

Just back from solo trip (Or at least I still feel just back!!) number 2! It was amazing as usual. I think one the neatest things that happens when you are solo is the interactions with cast members. Usually they may ask if you have broken away from your group or are waiting for someone, usual chit chat, and when I would say I was on a solo trip their eyes would usually brighten and they would express their jealousy. If you're a chatter, as I can be, the conversation can keep going and you can get lots of valuable insights and tips.

As far as the table service restaurants go, I found that 99% of my servers were very friendly to me as a solo traveller.

What I really love about the solo trip is the ability to stop... you can stop infront of the castle, spaceship earth, the big hat, wherever you want and take in the magic. No one is pushing or pulling you, or rushing you. You can really have the experience you want. :flower:

I can't wait to do another solo trip but I have decided I want to try out a deluxe resort the next time, so I have some saving to do!

Mike

Like someone else stated I can go to WDW solo, but I can't bring myself to hit a movie solo! Having said that I think for solos WDW is a safe place to go. I have been there many times and I feel very comfortable there and I know my surroundings. I had a semi solo trip at 20 (visiting a friend who was doing the College Program) and then I went solo this past January for 7 nights and I have a 12 night trip planned for Sept/Oct which will be partially solo.

Dining alone never really bothered me (I did a mix of counter service and sit down), I spent that time updating my trip notes and people watching. I also met some wonderful people and families while wating in line or waiting for various parades or shows to begin.

Hi...

I just found this board and it's great. I'm headed to DisneyWorld for my 3rd solo trip in December. I haven't been there since '96, and I'm SOOOO excited! I thought I was the only one who loved going by myself. It's really nice to read about others' positive experiences and encouragement for others who might be a little afraid. All I can say is don't wait around and put off doing those things you know you will love and enjoy. I believe it will just lead to too many regrets in the future.

Also, I found going solo allows you to stay completely in the Disney spirit. No fights about what you want to do, or where to eat, or where to stay. It's all up to you. The worst time I had at DisneyWorld (although it was still pretty good... it's DisneyWorld!) was when I went with someone who just didn't get it. Just didn't get the whole magic that sweeps up most of us when we are there. All it did was drag me down. The best times I've had so far at DisneyWorld was when I was on my own. Pure heaven!

Chas

I admit it never dawned on me to go solo, then I was sent to Orlando for business and took advantage and added a couple days on to spend at WDW. I LOVED it!!! It then dawned on me that there was no reason I couldn't vacation there all by myself. Right now I am planning my first solo trip to where it all started, DL. I haven't been there in 29 years and I can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter