How do you guys do it.

ChasRN said:
The worst time I had at DisneyWorld (although it was still pretty good... it's DisneyWorld!) was when I went with someone who just didn't get it.

What an awful, tragic experience!

On my non-solo trips I have been lucky enough to always be there with people who "get it". And usually I'm there with people who are fanatical about WDW like I am, which works out well.

The worst style conflict I ever had was a few years ago with my friend Frank. He had not been to WDW in over 3 years, so he spent the entire trip walking at full speed through the parks, almost running from attraction to attraction. Several times he cu in front of slower-moving people and barged ahead, and I had to take him to task - he wasn;t trying to be rude, he was just exceited and forgot that there were otehr people there!

It also didn't help that trip that Frank and I were splitting a room at ASMU, and he snores. Loud. Like a busted chainsaw. I didn't get a good night's sleep all week.

WillCAD said:
It also didn't help that trip that Frank and I were splitting a room at ASMU, and he snores. Loud. Like a busted chainsaw. I didn't get a good night's sleep all week.

See, another good reason to go solo. A nice, peaceful sleep each and every night so you are well rested and ready to start your day.

But as fast as your friend was going, sounds like he was really into the Disney spirit of things, so I'm sure you could forgive him!

I think that going on your own is just a whole different experience, and well worth the money. My brothers and sister and their families are planning a get together there in '07. I will definitely be going, but I know that it will be a completely different trip, even though it's the same place. With kids along, the focus will be changed, and the hours that we can tour the parks will be more limited. Of course, I could go out on my own, but when I'm solo, I don't even have to think about it. We're not even sure if we'll stay at one of the resorts. When going alone, I can splurge where I want and not feel guilty about it. Don't have to take into consideration the budgets of others, and they don't have to worry about mine. I will love both trips, but for different reasons.

Chas

ChasRN said:
We're not even sure if we'll stay at one of the resorts. When going alone, I can splurge where I want and not feel guilty about it. Don't have to take into consideration the budgets of others, and they don't have to worry about mine. I will love both trips, but for different reasons.

Chas

Another great reason, one time I went with a friend who insisted on CBR. Well, I'm a deluxe snob and kept thinking he whole time I rather be at BC or YC.

I've not gone for a true - several days by myself - solo trip yet. But I always try to tag on a day or so in the trip where it's just me! Usually I'll fly out early for business and family or friends join me on the weekend. That way I get the best of both worlds: time doing what I want, when I want and time to share my favorite destination with my favorite people!

It's a great way to 'try' solo tripping on for size!

Boy, I wish I could do it. I adore my family and love doing WDW with them, but I fantasize about a budget trip... not in the cards, budget-wise or otherwise for many many years (my kids would be so jealous!)

Solitude is a great reward for me... if dh gives me a day off from the kids, I'm much more likely to have lunch and a movie alone than to try to get a friend to go with me.

I think if I were alone at WDW I'd probably miss my family every now and then, but to be the master of my own itinerary-- or sublime LACK of itinerary... bliss.

Hats off to you SOLOs!

When I first went solo, I wasn't sure what to expect, but after that first time I have a hard time going with someone.

It's a control thing. I just returned from a trip to California (DL) with 5 other family members and the whole time I longed for my solo WDW trip in September. You get to do what you want when you want and for how long you want.

If I want to do the same ride 5 times in a row I can. If I want to skip a park all together (AK bores me to tears) I can. That;s the freedom I love traveling solo. If I don't wan tto do something there is no fight, no feeling like I'm ruining someone else's good time.

Plus, I like to go first class (nice restaurants, deluxe hotel) and most of the family and friends want to go cheaper (food courts and mods).

I'm thinking of doing a solo trip (my first) May of 2006. I went this past May with my six year old niece and before that in December 2004 with 10 other family members and while I had a WONDERFUL time both trips, I think I'd really enjoy a trip on my own. I'm the Disney fanatic in the family and even though everyone had a great time, nobody was "into" Disney like me. I like to stop and look at the details, I like to people watch, I like to take the little side paths and walkways, I like to find all the nook and cranny spots and I'm DYING to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour. It was a little weird not having an adult to talk to when I went with my niece and I imagine I'll feel the same on a solo trip, but I think it'll be ok.

I really don't know why people feel weird about it. I mean, I don't think people really notice in the parks. If I see someone by themselves, I don't think "I wonder why that person is alone?" If I think anything at all, it's more like "Oh I bet their family is on a ride or in the restroom."

I have a friend who went to Disney several years ago with her DH and he got a 24 hour bug, so she went to Epcot for the day while he rested at the hotel. The same friend thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do a solo trip, saying she would feel too weird. When I mentioned her day at Epcot and asked her if she felt weird, said "Well, no, John was in the room." :rolleyes: So I told her if I got to feeling weird, I'd just pretend I had a sick husband back at the hotel! :rotfl:

I go to WDW several times a year with my DH and two DDs, and I really enjoy the "family" thing with them. Well, I need to go to Paris at the end of the month for a work trip. I have one day that I will have all to myself. I'm thinking about taking the train out to DLP for the day, and doing a solo day trip there. Not sure I can tell the fam about it, though! Yeesh, I feel guilty about wanting to go by myself, but I just don't think that I can pass up the opportunity!

If I were in your family, I'd be saying "You'd better!" That way you can come back and tell them all about what it's like. DH's company is headquartered in Paris, and he knows that if he ever has the opportunity to go to DLP, he'd better go! That way he can come back and I can see it through him, when he tells me all about it. Go!

Going to DL in Dec. for a conference and that just happens to be in Anaheim :teeth: ! I will be staying part of the time with a fellow DISer but for my birthday and part of the time I will be alone while she is with family...I am really excited! :goodvibes I know it might sound strange to some but I can't wait to be alone.

Hi,

I'm a solo traveler because if I had to wait for someone to go with, I'd never leave home.

Walt Disney World is one of my favorite places in the lowercase world. There's no reason to feel funny being there solo; in fact, solo travelers probably inspire more envy than pity. I can do what I want, when I want.

Women probably don't have to worry about being hit on unless they go to Pleasure Island.

I've never worried about dining out alone because I'm used to it. The CMs are often friendlier and chat with you.

Jim

I've always wanted to "do" Disneyland, but my traveling buddy always said there was no point since we regularly do WDW and it's so much closer. Finally, a couple of years ago I planned a layover in LA for a trip to Australia and did DL/DCA for a couple of days by myself. It was my first solo adventure, and I really liked the freedom. Felt quite safe, even walking back to my hotel at night (although I did intentionally book one right across the street from the main entrance). Felt much less out-of-place than when I go to a sit-down restaurant alone (which I rarely do).

On the other hand, I have yet to go to the movies alone. Keep thinking I should, though. What's the difference between that and meeting a friend in the lobby (which I do regularly)? You park alone, buy your ticket alone, meet your companion, go into the theatre, and don't do much more interaction than laughing at the same time or whatever...

I'm 24 years old and have been a solo traveler since I was 18. My first Disney trip solo was when I was 21, I've travelled the US solo and I always love my solo vacations. I never vacation with anyone but my mother (only because I know we'll get along)

I love going to Disney World alone because I'm a spontaneous person. I like not having to arrange my schedule and preferences around other people's. I don't have to wait an hour in line to ride or see something that I'd rather just skip. And for that matter, if I see something that I'd like to ride, I can waste an hour in line and don't have to worry about how everyone else feels. I can eat wherever I want and sit wherever I want... It's total freedom. And the most beautiful part is that I can change my mind about anything whenever I want. I"m the only one effected by it.

No matter who you're with - you feel the magic at Disney World. I always get a little teary eyed when I first step through the gates of MK on to Main Street. I love to see everyone else's kids taking pictures with the characters (thinking about giving it a shot myself this year) I love seeing honeymooning couples looking for those secluded spots, I love seeing groups of friends riding rides together - but I can experience all of that vicariously through them and I don't (yet) feel the need to have someone else with me at WDW. I love that alone time with the Mouse. ::MickeyMo

Based on your tag, I assume you are a single parent like me. I had great guilt my first solo trip (while my DD was spending 3 weeks with her Dad). She made out well with souveniers. I did however find my solo trip amazing and it allowed me to do things I couldn't with her (backstage tours, expensive dining she wouldn't appreciate, etc.) I was also amazed how much free time I had since I was totally only catering to me (food and bathroom breaks, etc.) I actually sat on my balcony at VWL and read an entire book! (unheard of for me on a DIS trip).

I guess since I go 2-3 times a year and the other trips are with DD and sometimes extended family, I no longer feel bad. She certainly isn't Dis deprived, just turned ten and has logged 10 visits! I will fess up to usually once a trip getting a little teary that if DD was here she would love xxx but again, I know she'll get to enjoy it within the year.

I say go for it. Figure out your comfort level (ie I will no longer dine at a family style seating restuarant - i.e., Bierengarten). Disney is magical at any age with any combo of people or solo! Enjoy

Sandy

Disneyfan63 said:
Hi,

I'm a solo traveler because if I had to wait for someone to go with, I'd never leave home.

Walt Disney World is one of my favorite places in the lowercase world. There's no reason to feel funny being there solo; in fact, solo travelers probably inspire more envy than pity. I can do what I want, when I want.

Women probably don't have to worry about being hit on unless they go to Pleasure Island.

I've never worried about dining out alone because I'm used to it. The CMs are often friendlier and chat with you.

Jim
Exactly! I am a passholder and I tend to want to go quite a bit, a day at Disney is an escape, everyone is on vacation so most everyone is happy. I have a friend I go with sometimes but I do enjoy my time alone, but always willing to meet up with some solo disers if they want some company for a few hours. My last 5 vacations have been solo, 4 ski trips to Colorado and just returned from Wisconsin. I can't say that I wouldn't like someone to travel with it's just that sometimes it is easier and less hassle free to be solo. At first I did feel strange but life does go on and if you keep waiting for "someone" you are just wasting your life away "once today is gone it is gone!"
Sometimes I would love to spend a day with perhaps a single parent just to experience Disney with a child and the magic spell Disney puts over them. IMO Disney is one of the safest places to be as a solo and I have never felt unsafe at any of the resorts, I feel less safe making the road trip for 90 minutes up I4 to get there for the day trips!

As others have said, if you prefer to do things alone at home, you will probably have fun at WDW alone.

I prefer to do things alone. Disney, movies, outings to local museums etc. It doesn't mean I don't LIKE being with people, because I do, but I don't really know anyone who enjoys the same things that I do, IRL, and it's usually wait till someone feels like just humoring me and feel like they are having a miserable time OR go alone. WDW is the same.

The only thing that gets a little weird is dining. But if you bring a book or something it's not that bad.

How can I do it?

Honestly, it's not that tough for me. Most people have said it already-- doing what you want, when you want and over and over again if you want. Illuminations every night- sure. Want to catch four British Invasion shows in one day- absolutely. Want to sit on a sofa in the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby for two hours and read a book- right on.

Don't get me wrong, I love to do the World with people too. My solo trip are just different. It's a whole week that is all about ME! That's hard to come by for most people and I feel fortunate to be able to do it.

A lot of people have talked about feeling uncomfortable with dining. I actually think it is one of the easier places to dine solo. After all, they do a bustling convention business, so there are actually lots of solo travelers at the world at any one time. You don't stand out like a sore thumb as much as you think you will. Try that at a fancy restaurant in a big city-- sometimes you will get looked at like you have three heads.

Obviously, I love going solo. :goodvibes

Solotraveler :earsboy:

I think the question becomes...go solo or stay home? While I would love share the Disney (or any travel experience) with someone who I felt would equally enjoy it, I will not stay home while I waited for the right person. I have been to Disney, Montreal, NYC and, just recently, Jamaica alone and have done what I want when I wanted. I've gone to dinner, seen a great Broadway play, had a great diving experience some fantastic weather and and met some really nice people. Stay home or go solo?....GO!!!!!

Gary K. D. said:
I think the question becomes...go solo or stay home? While I would love share the Disney (or any travel experience) with someone who I felt would equally enjoy it, I will not stay home while I waited for the right person. I have been to Disney, Montreal, NYC and, just recently, Jamaica alone and have done what I want when I wanted. I've gone to dinner, seen a great Broadway play, had a great diving experience some fantastic weather and and met some really nice people. Stay home or go solo?....GO!!!!!
Exactly..........if I too waited for the right person I would become a hermit!It's not only easy for guys but us gals too.......I feel very safe at Disney........other destinations I am very careful but I still go, to much in this world to see and experience IMO. I think it's more strange that people refuse to do things solo, they are missing out on so much.

Great to read about everyones' great solo experiences!!
And Chyam, that picture of your cat is perhaps one of the most adorable things I have seen! :flower:

Mike :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter