How bad does cheer competition make parks in early May?

That would explain why when we decided to add a couple of days we had to choose water view over standard. I'm hoping it will still be peaceful. Last year in Feb we were there during a very large convention of hair dressers and the place was horrible.

A word of advice in these cases. Report to the hotel but then if it is the same group every time find out what group there are in and look on the ESPN Wide World of Sports website to get the number of the organizer. Call them and let them know that the group is being loud and keeping patrons up at the hotel and it will change. Part of all the competition rules is an agreement that they will follow the rules of Disney's property and be respectful of others at the hotels. Getting disqualified or at least threatened with disqualification will really change the attitude of a group. I'm not talking about minor annoyances like practicing in the afternoon or all of them being at the pool at once but if they are doing anything unsafe or being down right awful then it is time to take action.

There was one group that use to be awful and then their contracts started saying hotel reports or caught "flying" or doing tricks in the parks and resorts would get them disqualified and suddenly you never saw the kids misbehaving again.

FYI- I took a look at the travel packages offered by the competition organizer. CSR is the mod resort choice for teams wishing to book a travel package through the competition organizer. It is also the location of the dance competition.
Thanks!

I have a niece who has participated at various cheer events at WDW including the one at the beginning of May. As a devoted Aunt, I, of course, went to these events to cheer my niece on. :tongue:

These competitions take a good chunk of the competitor's day, and some gyms even prohibit their kids from going to the parks prior to competing. I found that the evenings tended to be more crowded than one would expect for this time of year, but it was completely manageable. In fact, the last event we went to (2yrs ago) my niece and her teammates were able to manage several late night rides on 7DMT with little wait. Note, there is also usually a dance competition going on as well. Last time we attended the dancers competed over at Epcot, so there were groups of dancers milling around that park during the competition hours. In the past, the organizers have held a party at DHS on the last night of the competition. Not sure if that will still be happening considering the construction. DHS will close early if so.
Some times they compete on the Indiana Jones stage as well! When my kids competed, the only time they got to the parks were a few hours AFTER they had competed..lol

or caught "flying" or doing tricks in the parks and resorts would get them disqualified
Yes-all FLYING should be done at the Resort!:)

Aren't they amazing?!:)

2017 College National Champion Kentucky Wildcats
32371667606_0dcb30268c_c.jpg

I'm thinking there are designated fly practice zones that everyone knows about? All Stars makes total sense. I think the "not allowed" we were told about was like at the food court or inside buildings or at the pool (wet = not safe to fly). So again the photo you posted do not bother the organizers the teams are all being really respectful there and just practicing. Heck take the 5 minutes to enjoy a really awesome routine.

I'm thinking there are designated fly practice zones that everyone knows about?
Yes,Mickey Mouse Field at All-Star Sports is the most "famous" practice spot for Cheerleaders at WDW.

Disney is completely "cool" with it-Disney took away the huge Xs and 0s that were originally on half of the Field to allow more space for the Cheerleaders to practice.

Cheer/Dance is HUGE business for Disney as evidenced by the HUGE new Stadium being built at WWoS.

images

Yes,Mickey Mouse Field at All-Star Sports is the most "famous" practice spot for Cheerleaders at WDW.

Disney is completely "cool" with it-Disney took away the huge Xs and 0s that were originally on half of the Field to allow more space for the Cheerleaders to practice.

Cheer/Dance is HUGE business for Disney as evidenced by the HUGE new Stadium being built at WWoS.

images

Makes total sense. Give them somewhere save to practice and hopefully they will be less likely to do it in the unsafe areas.

Are they still building the sports complex that is suppose to have event/convention hotel rooms as well? I heard about it back in 2013 but not since then. Suppose to be close to WWOS and not for families on vacation but rather all the money making teams that come into town for every single sport.

A word of advice in these cases. Report to the hotel but then if it is the same group every time find out what group there are in and look on the ESPN Wide World of Sports website to get the number of the organizer. Call them and let them know that the group is being loud and keeping patrons up at the hotel and it will change. Part of all the competition rules is an agreement that they will follow the rules of Disney's property and be respectful of others at the hotels. Getting disqualified or at least threatened with disqualification will really change the attitude of a group. I'm not talking about minor annoyances like practicing in the afternoon or all of them being at the pool at once but if they are doing anything unsafe or being down right awful then it is time to take action.

There was one group that use to be awful and then their contracts started saying hotel reports or caught "flying" or doing tricks in the parks and resorts would get them disqualified and suddenly you never saw the kids misbehaving again.

Thank you for the advice. Aside from the one time, we've never had a problem at CSR, but hairdressers aren't cheering squads either. I'm sure we will be fine, I don't mind the noise during the day, but late into the night I would have an issue.

Wow too bad about the cheerleaders but hey, you got to stay at AKL!!! :worship:

What were they doing? Just general boisterousness and cheerleading practices into the night?
I will not go in to full detail about what happen but I almost died ( and I am no kidding) the only region why is that I was at first aid ( I was felling dehydrated ) took 2 nurses ( one was on break) to help me. I decided I could not stay so when I want to check out they asked me way I told then and they took me to a back room where they said they would let me stay at AKL, but part of it ( a good part of it was they kept me up from 1 am to about 5 am) was told they had kicked out a good number of them.

Thank you for the advice. Aside from the one time, we've never had a problem at CSR, but hairdressers aren't cheering squads either. I'm sure we will be fine, I don't mind the noise during the day, but late into the night I would have an issue.

We joked at our last competition that no smoking was allowed strictly due to the amount of hairspray fumes that would likely blow the hotel off its foundation.

Makes total sense. Give them somewhere save to practice and hopefully they will be less likely to do it in the unsafe areas.

Unless Disney changed something from when we went to the ASSports way back when, that green football field is not soft in the least bit and I wouldn't call that a 'safe' place to fly at all.

This is all fine but when it is done at 1AM 2 AM 3 AM 4 AM 5 AM and even minute in between and you have a room near by ( and they are not quietly doing these cheer, This is when I call the front desk and they should be removed ( I know some will not like this but I dislike the cheer groups over just about all groups, I hope they can prove they can be respectful and quiet after 10pm.

Unless Disney changed something from when we went to the ASSports way back when, that green football field is not soft in the least bit and I wouldn't call that a 'safe' place to fly at all.

Not sure how the turf is now. I meant safe more in you are less likely to hit another person or something you didn't see as it is pretty clear up and out. I saw some girls flying in the UK pavilion with their chaperone cheering them on. CMs came over and had to remind them that it was unsafe. Same when they tried to make a pyramid in France. At that point we turned around and changed our direct around WSC so we would be behind them any more haha. I was kind of shocked the adults that thought it was a great idea.

I've stayed twice now at a resort at the same time as cheerleaders, and had no problem with them either time. I think some people greatly exaggerate how much they affect the rest of the guests. Or just a couple really bad apples stand out.

Not sure how the turf is now. I meant safe more in you are less likely to hit another person or something you didn't see as it is pretty clear up and out. I saw some girls flying in the UK pavilion with their chaperone cheering them on. CMs came over and had to remind them that it was unsafe. Same when they tried to make a pyramid in France. At that point we turned around and changed our direct around WSC so we would be behind them any more haha. I was kind of shocked the adults that thought it was a great idea.

Hate to say but most of the girls/team think its a superb idea. Meanwhile Mom is having a heart attack watching this all and running through all the scenarios in her head. :drinking1 Happy day when my daughter said she didn't want to comp cheer anymore, she didn't have to tell me twice. :woohoo::rotfl:

I've stayed twice now at a resort at the same time as cheerleaders, and had no problem with them either time. I think some people greatly exaggerate how much they affect the rest of the guests. Or just a couple really bad apples stand out.

I mean there was a well reported all out fight between 2 pop warner teams one year at the all stars so just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. That's why I said some years it is great with no incidents and other years you get a bad apple group.

I mean there was a well reported all out fight between 2 pop warner teams one year at the all stars so just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. That's why I said some years it is great with no incidents and other years you get a bad apple group.

I never questioned your report. I never said it didn't happen.

I never questioned your report. I never said it didn't happen.

Sorry but your previous post sounded like you were. You said people wildly exaggerate how bad the teams are or it is just a bad apple. Sure it can be a bad team or two but that's enough to really make any of the resorts miserable if you are the unfortunate on in the same section.

Sorry but your previous post sounded like you were. You said people wildly exaggerate how bad the teams are or it is just a bad apple. Sure it can be a bad team or two but that's enough to really make any of the resorts miserable if you are the unfortunate on in the same section.

I wasn't replying directly to your post, sorry that you thought I was.

OT:

C A T S--Cats, Cats, Cats!!!

I live in a UK Wildcat home, we bleed blue here. Cheering on our boys in the Sweet 16 this Friday in Memphis!

We are very proud of the cheerleaders here in Kentucky :)

From Wikipedia:

The University of Kentucky cheer squad is, by far, the best college cheer squad in the world. UK's squad is the only team to win back to back championships twice, once in 1987 and 1988 and again in 1995 and 1996. Further, UK is the only squad ever to win three, four, five, six, seven, and eight championships in a row.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter