Homemade Holiday Presents! Lets help each other! Ideas WANTED!

I agree that this is a great idea! I did a scrapbook for my parents 2 christmas' ago of my 3 children.. now 10, 15 and 17.. I included pictures from when they were babies up until I did the scrapbook.. It took me months.. it was alot of hard work but it is something special..

Oh I can't take it anymore!! I'm only half way through this thread so sorry if it's been brought up, but I don't think so.

Along the lines of these old photos in books I did something everyone just LOVED for mothers/father's day 2 years ago. It took forever to do, but I collected pictures of DH and I, our parents and grandparents and our boys all at different ages. Then I painstakingly went through all the pictures and matched pics of everyone. Like I have pics of DS when he was 2 alongside pics of DH and his dad when THEY were two. And pics of DH where he looks JUST like his dad or grandfather. It was the best thing I've every given. I digital scrapbook my own pages, so it took a long time, but the same thing could easily be done with Shutterfly or another sites photobooks. :love:

My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzhiemers four years ago so using the stove is no longer an option for her. So I have been cooking and freezing soups for her. I pakck them in rubbermaid type containers and label them noting the contents date and that they are made with love from me. I also made to sheets listing what soups were made and how many containers of each for her to post on her frig and extra freezer so does not forget about them.

I found this idea for homemade "bath cookies." It looks cute. You could also use holiday cookie cutters to make them fun shapes! Put in a jar or cute tin and this would be a nice gift for friends.

Bath Cookies

2 cups finely ground sea salt
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons light oil
2 eggs
5-6 drops essential oil of your choice

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the above ingredients and then take a generous teaspoon of the dough and form it into a ball. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, until they are lightly browned (do not overbake). Allow the cookies to cool completely. Wrap in cellophane and give as gifts.
To Use: Drop 1 or 2 cookies into a warm bath, allow to dissolve.
Luv this

One year for co-workers, I made homemade hot chocolte mix and put it in a pint canning jar with mini-marshmallows. I put a piece of christmas fabric on the top and tied with a ribbon. I also attached an ornament to the ribbon along with directions for use. They all loved them! :thumbsup2

My sister also makes homemade Kahlua with vodka, instant coffee and a whole vanilla bean. I think that is all there is in the recipe. She then finds unique bottles to put it in.
In years past I made cappuccino mix with chocolate covered spoons. It was a huge hit.

A few years ago (after stealing someone's idea from this thread) I made a memory jar for my DH. On different colored paper I wrote down 100 of my favorite memories of our life together from our wedding to a time he dropped an entire pizza on our driveway. I folded them all up individually like fortunes, put them in a pretty Christmas jar that I found at the dollar store, and wrapped it with a ribbon with bells around it. We now take this jar out every Christmas, and read it together as a tradition. :lovestruc

A few years ago (after stealing someone's idea from this thread) I made a memory jar for my DH. On different colored paper I wrote down 100 of my favorite memories of our life together from our wedding to a time he dropped an entire pizza on our driveway. I folded them all up individually like fortunes, put them in a pretty Christmas jar that I found at the dollar store, and wrapped it with a ribbon with bells around it. We now take this jar out every Christmas, and read it together as a tradition. :lovestruc

I LOVE this idea!

Chex Muddy Buddies

9 cups Chex cereal (any variety)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1. Into very large bowl, measure cereal; set aside. In 1 qt. microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute. Stir; microwave 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.

2. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2 gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powedered sugar; seal bag and shake until well coated. Spread on wax paper to cool, about 30 minutes.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

* You can also melt the chocolate mixture on the stove top in a saucepan :)

If you don't like the chocolate/peanut butter combination, I saw on a recent Chex cereal box a recipe for lemon muddy buddies. I forget what they called them but it was all the same idea but were lemon flavored. You might be able to find the recipe online somewhere.

This is such a sweet idea!!!

Has anyone painted on melamine plates? I would like to make one for my grandson, but the directions I found said that the plate would be dishwasher safe but not safe for food. I want him to be able to eat off of it.

I love this idea!!!!

I was thinking of something inexpensive for my coworkers,(there are 17 of us) and came across some recipes for individual pies in a jar. You basically make the pies in the small canning jars, and then can either freeze them, or bake them right away and gift. We love our goodies, so I thought it would be perfect! ANd I don't anticipate it costing too much, just a few store bought crusts, (I don't have the know how or the patience, nor the desire to make my own..lol) favorite pie filling (or make your own) the jars and the gift tags.

http://www.tipjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/18.jpg

Has anyone painted on melamine plates? I would like to make one for my grandson, but the directions I found said that the plate would be dishwasher safe but not safe for food. I want him to be able to eat off of it.

My friend bought some kind of kit a year or two ago. You draw on special paper, then mail in to the company, and they put the image on the plate and send it back to you. Those were food safe. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the company, but it was definitely a more involved process than just "painting on a plate."

Another option would be to go to a paint-your-own pottery place. Those are food safe after they are fired, but the end result is breakable. Maybe you were trying to avoid that, if you grandson is very young.

That's a great idea serendipity! I am definitely doing this for my DH this year. This is perfect for us for this year :)

THX!

I was inspired by this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79012948/8x10-kitchen-art-print-of-lacy-oatmeal

... and came up with this to be framed:
mint+cookies.jpg

I think it's an excellent idea if you have an amazing recipe everyone loves, type it up, make it a little funky, print and frame it :) I think it's great artwork for a kitchen and it's practical :)

I was thinking of something inexpensive for my coworkers,(there are 17 of us) and came across some recipes for individual pies in a jar. You basically make the pies in the small canning jars, and then can either freeze them, or bake them right away and gift. We love our goodies, so I thought it would be perfect! ANd I don't anticipate it costing too much, just a few store bought crusts, (I don't have the know how or the patience, nor the desire to make my own..lol) favorite pie filling (or make your own) the jars and the gift tags.

http://www.tipjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/18.jpg

Do you have any acutal recipes, that link was just a picture. They look like a great idea! Especially for the male coworkers! :goodvibes

i didn't read all 51 pages, so if this is already posted, my apologies : )

I've gotten my non-crafty, non-baking SIL into making candy wreathes. You can use an old wire hanger or buy metal rings from the craft store. Size is all up to. Or you can buy the foam wreath forms.
You will also need alot of yarn. And a 3 - 5 pound bag of hard candy for each wreath ( depending again on how big you make them.)

To make the wreath, you tie the end of the yard around the form and knot it. Wrap it a few more times around to get it from sliding around. Then you take 1 end of the candy wrapper and hold it against the form while you wrap the yard it around it 2-3 times. Continue in the same direction until the form is full. When you get back to where you started, cut off about a 1/2 foot of yard. Wrap around and tie it securely. Cut another 12" piece and tie each end around the form so you have a loop for hanging the wreath. You can then tie a bright bow with wired ribbon to decorate it.

We use Starlite peppermints, and assorted hard candies, butterscotch discs. You can do them all with the same candy ( red and white with red bow etc ) or make them colorful.

It isn't really difficult once you get in the grove lol : )
An elderly friend of the family used to use straight pins to hold the candy onto the foam forms. But i wouldnt suggest that if the family has children.

i didn't read all 51 pages, so if this is already posted, my apologies : )

I've gotten my non-crafty, non-baking SIL into making candy wreathes. You can use an old wire hanger or buy metal rings from the craft store. Size is all up to. Or you can buy the foam wreath forms.
You will also need alot of yarn. And a 3 - 5 pound bag of hard candy for each wreath ( depending again on how big you make them.)

To make the wreath, you tie the end of the yard around the form and knot it. Wrap it a few more times around to get it from sliding around. Then you take 1 end of the candy wrapper and hold it against the form while you wrap the yard it around it 2-3 times. Continue in the same direction until the form is full. When you get back to where you started, cut off about a 1/2 foot of yard. Wrap around and tie it securely. Cut another 12" piece and tie each end around the form so you have a loop for hanging the wreath. You can then tie a bright bow with wired ribbon to decorate it.

We use Starlite peppermints, and assorted hard candies, butterscotch discs. You can do them all with the same candy ( red and white with red bow etc ) or make them colorful.

It isn't really difficult once you get in the grove lol : )
An elderly friend of the family used to use straight pins to hold the candy onto the foam forms. But i wouldnt suggest that if the family has children.

That sounds so fun. Does anyone have a picture of what these look like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter