Hershey park..can it be done on the cheap?

will I regret not doing the water park?

Depends---I avoid the waterpark because I hate to carry around extra stuff and I hate to walk around the park wet for the rest of the day. But if it is a hot day, the waterpark sure looks inviting. My dd regretted not bringing her bathing suit on our last visit.

Do you think we can do the preview if we use the tickets that we got from the giant deal - 4 for $60? What about the Chevy deal - can you use preview with those?

I may feel like an idiot..buut I am getting the impression that Hershey is mostly roller coasters... true or no? My kids and I aren't huge coaster fas, BUT, with the tix we have for free now, I can't complain.

Any other advice concerning the museum, hershey factory, and zoo? what else should we do? how much money should I expect to spend? I wanna make sure it is a fun filled trip It is DEFINITELY no Disney, but it is something!

I may feel like an idiot..buut I am getting the impression that Hershey is mostly roller coasters... true or no? My kids and I aren't huge coaster fas, BUT, with the tix we have for free now, I can't complain.

Any other advice concerning the museum, hershey factory, and zoo? what else should we do? how much money should I expect to spend? I wanna make sure it is a fun filled trip It is DEFINITELY no Disney, but it is something!

They have more than just coasters - check their website, which lists every single ride. The zoo is included, and hershey factory is free, but the 3D movie isn't (and it's not cheap, but my kids love it).

They have more than just coasters - check their website, which lists every single ride. The zoo is included, and hershey factory is free, but the 3D movie isn't (and it's not cheap, but my kids love it).

My kids love that 3D movie too, we go everytime we go to chocolate world.
my mom got me discounts for the 3D movie she found them at Subway, they were on the counter and worth I think $2 off each ticket, not much but something. ( this was last summer)
so you could check the subways in the area

We are the lunatics that go to hershey for a week every year. yes a week...And I agree it is costly and can be a mini disney trip in cost! We love the Hershey Lodge though and stay here. Good Housekeeping had a special, buy 3 nights get 4th for free....plus free admission for 2 days included. Very nice little deal...Also staying at Lodge you get free tix to HErshey Gardens which is a favorite spot of ours as is Hershey Museum....After a week inDisney inJune, Hershey is such a relaxed pace, we all love it here! Gardens has anice butterfly house in it too for kids..

Do you think we can do the preview if we use the tickets that we got from the giant deal - 4 for $60? What about the Chevy deal - can you use preview with those?

I sure hope so for the Giant ones because we are planning to use them next week! Does anyone know for sure? Last year we got the free Giant ones and used those for the preview so I am hoping that it will be the same this year.

3darlings if you don't mind will you post back and let me know after you go. We are not planning on going until middle of August.

yes you can use your discount tix for preview too..

The free passes are only available on Saturdays should I take them and enjoy what we can or is it too much of a headache all together? Im coming from Maryland so Im guessing its about a 2 hour drive or so and we'd spend all day there and drive home to avoid the hotel cost.

One PP on this Slick Deals thread says you can use the tickets any day--it's only recommended that you use it on Chevy's dates. Not sure if it's true, but here you go: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2106892&page=3

More info on this one: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/575968-chevy-owners-4-free-tickets-hershey-park.html We ordered our tickets and my 16-yr-old son wants to test drive a Corvette for a lunch voucher. Uh, yeah, don't see that happening!! :rotfl:

We love Hershey Park and never get tired of the Chocolate Factory. Free sample at the end!! :thumbsup2 Usually, the factory opens an hour before the park does, so we always go in right at opening and then get in line for the park. Go to Fahrenheit first because it will be mobbed later!

I hope you have a fantastic time!!! :banana:

Dont forget Hershey has the new boardwalk waterpark that is HUGE. I don't see how you can do all this in a day. Why not come in the night before, preview for free, sleep inexpensively, then spend the day at waterpark and rides?

Hi there OP.
We do Season Passes (buy them during the winter for the following year). Then camp at the Highmeadow campground. They pay for themselves by the 3rd day for our fam of 4. They include free parking, 20% of coupon for campground and early admission since we stay at highmeadow. Admission for Halloween and Xmas at HP too. This is how we do our budget summer mini breaks. We never buy food in the park. Pack snacks and eat back at the campground or at a restaurant NOT in the park. We also don't do any of the games. My kid's are trained and don't even ask. We do buy milk and cookies at night just b4 we leave EVERY time.

Dont forget Hershey has the new boardwalk waterpark that is HUGE. I don't see how you can do all this in a day. Why not come in the night before, preview for free, sleep inexpensively, then spend the day at waterpark and rides?
I want to go in September, and I think the Boardwalk part is closed by then :/

Hi there OP.
We do Season Passes (buy them during the winter for the following year). Then camp at the Highmeadow campground. They pay for themselves by the 3rd day for our fam of 4. They include free parking, 20% of coupon for campground and early admission since we stay at highmeadow. Admission for Halloween and Xmas at HP too. This is how we do our budget summer mini breaks. We never buy food in the park. Pack snacks and eat back at the campground or at a restaurant NOT in the park. We also don't do any of the games. My kid's are trained and don't even ask. We do buy milk and cookies at night just b4 we leave EVERY time.

I have never been camping before and the idea of it doesn't do much for me..lol! I do agree about eating out of the park though! So you ARE allowed to bring snacks in park?

This is a good question. In all honesty, I think it depends on which security guard checks your bags before you enter the park. I usually always take a snack in for my boys (box of raisins, baggie of gold fish, etc.). On a recent trip, my one little guy was holding a pack of crackers in his hand. They were unopened. The security guard wouldn't let me enter the park until 1.) we threw them out or 2.) they were eaten. I was so angry and actually confronted the security guard about this telling him I always bring in snacks for my little ones. I told him I think there needs to be more consistency because it usually isn't a problem. He just looked at me and smiled. :eek: Whatever that meant. So, be careful. I'd hate for you to pack a ton of snacks and then be told to throw them away, but you may also pack a ton of snacks and be able to take them into the park.

I camp in a pop up with a king size bed and a/c. No tenting here:thumbsup2

I pack the standard, 4 water bottles, 2 big packs of Hershey Twizzlers and granola bars and lance crackers. Never been a problem - thank goodness.
I was bent out of shape when they started charging 10 bucks for a day locker. what a crock. I just don't pack anything that day. Just wear a swimsuit, swim shorts and flip flops. I put my pass id's in my zipped pocket in my shorts and leave the flip flops whereever. So far, no one has taken our shoes. Keys are left in the vehicle since we have a coded entry.

Thank you LoveDals!!! Got tix before they ran out and booked a camping trip! Super budget trip to Hershey for us!!! :thanks:

If you bring snacks and drinks, be discreet. There is a sign saying outside food isn't allowed, and they do check backpack, but not always thoroughly.

There are many ways you can do Hershey on the cheap. There are places around me (Northern VA) that offer coupons for Hershey park. I just found some coupons from Friendly's where you can save $10 off admission in July or $8 off in August and September. If you want them I am happy to mail them to you.

Also eating at restaurants outside the park might sound like a good idea but they are very crowded and the service is not that great nor is the food. My in-laws are annual passholders so they know the parks ins and outs. One of the best places and cheapest to get food is in the water park. If you like crab cakes they are your best option since it is huge. Also buying a kettle corn is a good deal as well since that can pretty much last all day long. One other thing is ice cream, you can ask for a kiddie cone and it costs less than a regular ice cream but you have to ask for it since it is not listed.

Smuggling in your own snacks or bottles of water is the best option. We usually take along snacks for the kids.

Another option to save on tickets is through AAA. I know they offer a discount.

A good place to stay is in Steelton PA or Oberlin. There is a Mainstay there that was just built and it is only about 20 minutes to Hershey. If you like camping there is the Hershey Highmeadow that has cabins but there is a downside the campground is on an active railroad line and some of the cabins are RIGHT next to it and those trains go at all hours of the night and day. We stayed in the campground 2 years ago in a camper and it shook our camper.

If you do the twilight hours at the park using your next day ticket and you go the next day you will definitely be able to see all of it. One recommendation my husband makes though (from his years of working at Hershey Park) is don't go in August. It is crazy busy with tour groups and so on. So I would go sooner than later or wait until September.

If you want any more tips let me know. We are headed there next weekend.

There are many ways you can do Hershey on the cheap. There are places around me (Northern VA) that offer coupons for Hershey park. I just found some coupons from Friendly's where you can save $10 off admission in July or $8 off in August and September. If you want them I am happy to mail them to you.

Also eating at restaurants outside the park might sound like a good idea but they are very crowded and the service is not that great nor is the food. My in-laws are annual passholders so they know the parks ins and outs. One of the best places and cheapest to get food is in the water park. If you like crab cakes they are your best option since it is huge. Also buying a kettle corn is a good deal as well since that can pretty much last all day long. One other thing is ice cream, you can ask for a kiddie cone and it costs less than a regular ice cream but you have to ask for it since it is not listed.

Smuggling in your own snacks or bottles of water is the best option. We usually take along snacks for the kids.

Another option to save on tickets is through AAA. I know they offer a discount.

A good place to stay is in Steelton PA or Oberlin. There is a Mainstay there that was just built and it is only about 20 minutes to Hershey. If you like camping there is the Hershey Highmeadow that has cabins but there is a downside the campground is on an active railroad line and some of the cabins are RIGHT next to it and those trains go at all hours of the night and day. We stayed in the campground 2 years ago in a camper and it shook our camper.

If you do the twilight hours at the park using your next day ticket and you go the next day you will definitely be able to see all of it. One recommendation my husband makes though (from his years of working at Hershey Park) is don't go in August. It is crazy busy with tour groups and so on. So I would go sooner than later or wait until September.

If you want any more tips let me know. We are headed there next weekend.

thanks for all the info! funny, I [picked up discount tix at our local Ritas last night and just looked at it. You can get 10 off in july, but only 8 off in august, then 14 off in september! I was wondering why less in august lol

the train on the campground sounds awful lol! but I am def interested in the nicest hotel that isn't a hershey hotel! ideally something with an indoor pool!

I found one that looked decent but I lost the link, i'll have to look at at it again and see what you all think!

thanks for all the info! funny, I [picked up discount tix at our local Ritas last night and just looked at it. You can get 10 off in july, but only 8 off in august, then 14 off in september! I was wondering why less in august lol

the train on the campground sounds awful lol! but I am def interested in the nicest hotel that isn't a hershey hotel! ideally something with an indoor pool!

I found one that looked decent but I lost the link, i'll have to look at at it again and see what you all think!

I just looked it up. The hotel down the street from my in-laws is a Wyndham with an indoor pool. It is only 20 minutes to Hershey and there are a couple of restaurants near there as well as a nice Target.

Again if you need any other info let me know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter