Hershey park..can it be done on the cheap?

How are the crowds on a Saturday? If we are going with two young kids, 6 and almost 2 is it even worth it to go on a Saturday or too crowded?

One other thing I wanted to add - the food in Hersheypark is mediocre and pretty expensive.

yes the food is outrageously expensive!!!!
and you cannot bring any drinks in the park, nothing, not even one bottle of water. they check the bags and they take anything they find.

we went last summer on a Giant promo, bought some groceries and got free tickets, I thought I saw they were doing it again, but it may be over.
have fun, we went around July 4 last year and it was so very crowded, I wouldn't do it around a holiday like that again!

How are the crowds on a Saturday? If we are going with two young kids, 6 and almost 2 is it even worth it to go on a Saturday or too crowded?

Sat VERY VERY BUSY! Trust me a season pass holder many years....

We were there this past Sunday (we have season passes this year) and it was mobbed. Boy was I missing fast pass.

By they way, the food is terrible and very pricey. We pack our own rather than pay $8 for a turkey leg or $3.75 for one single smore.

But it is a great family park. We really enjoy it.

such fantastic advice! thank you all! I was wondering what towns were closest to hershey without it actually being hershey! I will def look into those hotels. I wanted to try and go this summer, but I may try to go in September. After all that is when our Disney trip was supposed to be, and if it saves me some money, then even better!

There is a Hampton Inn at the turnpike exit for Lebanon. If you stay there, you can hop onto 322 which takes you right into Hershey, about 25-30 min drive through the farmlands. Free breakfast at Hampton Inn.

Sat VERY VERY BUSY! Trust me a season pass holder many years....

The free passes are only available on Saturdays should I take them and enjoy what we can or is it too much of a headache all together? Im coming from Maryland so Im guessing its about a 2 hour drive or so and we'd spend all day there and drive home to avoid the hotel cost.

We were there this past Sunday (we have season passes this year) and it was mobbed. Boy was I missing fast pass.

By they way, the food is terrible and very pricey. We pack our own rather than pay $8 for a turkey leg or $3.75 for one single smore.

But it is a great family park. We really enjoy it.

I was there on Sunday. Since we have season passes most days we don't go until around 6pm. We did it again this trip, my DD8 and I got there about 6pm. Stayed to closing. I did not think it was crowed at all. Only had to wait about 5 minutes to get on the Comet!

As for Hotels, not sure about names but check for ones on Route 93 (or is it 39). The food can be expensive. My DD and I usually split theadult chicken strip meal - 4 pieces, fries and a drink. If you go muliple days, the refillable cups are a great deal. 99cent refills.

yes the food is outrageously expensive!!!!
and you cannot bring any drinks in the park, nothing, not even one bottle of water. they check the bags and they take anything they find.

we went last summer on a Giant promo, bought some groceries and got free tickets, I thought I saw they were doing it again, but it may be over.
have fun, we went around July 4 last year and it was so very crowded, I wouldn't do it around a holiday like that again!

We have been many times (last time 3 weeks ago) and we always take water bottles and other snacks in and we have never had a problem (although not a cooler full or anything). I usually freeze a few bottles and put them in our locker where we place our swim stuff at the beginning of the day. The lockers are ridiculously expensive so we just cram everything into a small one. We use our other water bottles first and then when we come back to the lockers we have nice cold water from the bottles there.

I was there on Sunday. Since we have season passes most days we don't go until around 6pm. We did it again this trip, my DD8 and I got there about 6pm. Stayed to closing. I did not think it was crowed at all. Only had to wait about 5 minutes to get on the Comet!

As for Hotels, not sure about names but check for ones on Route 93 (or is it 39). The food can be expensive. My DD and I usually split theadult chicken strip meal - 4 pieces, fries and a drink. If you go muliple days, the refillable cups are a great deal. 99cent refills.

Totally a hijack, so sorry. Opened the thread because my DD is in Carlisle right now at CPYB amd will be going to Hershey Park as a weekend excursion.

Just saw your userid Carlislemom and I'm guessing you live in Carlisle so now I miss my DD even more!

The free passes are only available on Saturdays should I take them and enjoy what we can or is it too much of a headache all together? Im coming from Maryland so Im guessing its about a 2 hour drive or so and we'd spend all day there and drive home to avoid the hotel cost.

We are also heading up from MD. We can make it in 1 1/2 hours, so we drive up and back the same day.

We went the Saturday of Labor Day weekend last year. It was crowded...yes...but we were still able to do a lot. I did miss Fastpass;). I think we're going to risk the crowds and give it a try. The free passes will save us at least $160. Can't beat that. Our family of 6 will be able to get in for only $60, out of pocket. That's worth the crowds to me:goodvibes

Yes, they will be open that weekend. They are opened every weekend through the end of September. The water park will be closed though.

will I regret not doing the water park? Good news though, my friend was able to score me 4 free tickets! So that helps a LOT! Now I just want to find a fun resort to stay at. One that won't break the bank, but won't make me feel sceeved out either! So looking for any and all resort advice! Luckily we love Red Robin, so we would be down with going there! We go there after every Sesame Place trip ( i live 20 mins from Sesame).

So, Hershey is a bit confusing and broken down into many different things.. What are the MUST do's? We would prolly leave here early Sat sept 11, and leave mon sept 13 to come home.

will I regret not doing the water park? Good news though, my friend was able to score me 4 free tickets! So that helps a LOT! Now I just want to find a fun resort to stay at. One that won't break the bank, but won't make me feel sceeved out either! So looking for any and all resort advice! Luckily we love Red Robin, so we would be down with going there! We go there after every Sesame Place trip ( i live 20 mins from Sesame).

So, Hershey is a bit confusing and broken down into many different things.. What are the MUST do's? We would prolly leave here early Sat sept 11, and leave mon sept 13 to come home.

Great question! What are the must do's at Hershey Park?

Everyone's suggestions on discount tickets from various places are right on. If you'd like to arrive in the afternoon or have an open second day to see the area and then go to the park in the evening, check out the "Sunset Admission" option. It is much less crowded and you may see a lot more:http://www.hersheypark.com/tickets/index.php.

For hotels, you will find a lot less traffic and MANY more eating options about 15 minutes from Hershey. If you google "Hotels on Eisenhower Boulevard, Harrisburg" it will give you lots of options. This is also very convenient to the Turnpike (which you will probably be taking if coming from Bucks Co.) Once you know the hotel you want, check out kayak.com, and search for Harrisburg hotels - they'll give you the best price.

I agree with the others who say DON'T go on a Saturday! If you'd like to make it a weekend trip, do a Sunset pass for Saturday evening and go all day (arrive early!) on Sunday.

Don't miss attractions? All the roller coasters are great. The newest Farenheit one isn't all that exciting after the first drop, but the Wildcat and dueling coasters (both wooden coasters) are great. Great Bear (steel coaster) is pretty awesome. Don't forget to check out Zoo America - I believe it's free with Hershey admission and can be a nice change of pace (read: quiet!) from the park.

As far as the water park - don't even bother on a Saturday - imagine the most crowded day at Disney, but everyone is squeezed into a bathing suit and the ground is damp :mad:

And now - I need to stop typing this or I'll be late for work! :goodvibes

Definitely - Lightning Racer!

Wildcat is a little on the wild side, but a great woodie nontheless.

Great Bear

Kissing Tower :love:

Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge (Think Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, chocolate style)

Monorail (ok. not near as fun as the WDW Monorail, but it sure is relaxing)

Turnpike Cars - we always begged to drive as kids, but the lines are usually very long.

Zoo America

Have you been to hersheypark.com? All of the operating hours and rides are on their website, as well as places to pick up discounts (although you no longer need those ;))

We used to stay at the Hershey Lodge, but it's too expensive. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Jonestown Road in Harrisburg, I believe, and it was nice, clean, indoor pool, free breakfast, great staff, 4 miles from Hershey, and cheaper than others 2 miles away. It took less than 10 minutes to get to the park.

We go to Hershey Park often and we are ride addicts so here is a little hopefully helpful info to pass along (sorry this is so long!)

The Claw - this is my favorite. It is a giant swinging arm (like the swings on steriods). It is a slow loader and the line is in the direct sun so go early/late.

My kids (and most of the time me) love the roller coasters -

Storm Runner - the most intense - the line can get long so we usually do it during the preview (you can get in 2 1/2 hours early the night before on your next day ticket). Last time we were there we did it 6 times during the preview.

Fahrenheit - this is the new one but we don't find it very exciting. The first hill is straight up so that is the big attraction. The line, however, is usually horrible - the cars are small and it seems to be a slow loader. It is best to do this one first thing as you enter the park in the morning or near the end of the preview. My kids usually just do it once.

Big Bear - everyones favorite. It is way in the back of the park (near Zoo America) and you have to walk up a big hill. We ride this many times a visit. The line can be long at times but it seems to move pretty well.

Wildcat - I will not ride this anymore but my kids usually ride it once. It throws you around something terrible - even the kids complain about bumps and bruises when coming off. Line is usually medium.

Lightening Racers - they are really fun but the best part is there is never a line! It is way on the other end of the park - past the water park - and, for some reason, no one seems to get there. We always save this for later in the day because we know the line will be minimal and go time after time. It is a fast wooden coaster but it does not throw you around like the Wildcat.

Comet - is the original Hershey roller coaster which is decent but not something you want to wait a long time for. Unfortunately the line can get long because pretty much everyone can ride it. We usually just check on our way out to see how long the line is and then decide whether to ride. On our preview visit a few weeks ago, we saw there was not a line as we were leaving so we decided to ride it. Unfortunately as we were going up the first hill, the heavens opened and it started to pour. That was the longest (and wettest) roller coaster ride ever!

Sidewinder - not much to it - just goes up and back with a loop in the middle. My kids usually ride once.

Super Duper Looper - the original loop roller coaster. Not much to this either but the line is never long and it someone like tamer coasters, this is the one.

Trail Blazer (I think this is the name) - this is a kiddie coaster but adults can ride it. Think Goofy's coaster in Toontown only through the woods.

Roller Soaker (in the waterpark) - this is considered a coaster. Do not wait in the line for this one! I think it is the slowest loading ride ever! And it really does nothing other than go around a few circles (you can dump water on those below and they can squirt you.)

Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge - we all think this is really lame. It is the same concept as Buzz Light year but in a completely different league. The line is can be very slow and for some reason hot. We will go on this if there is no line but my kids always complain when I make them go on.

Water park - This place gets horrible in the afternoon - it is a complete zoo. So we usually try to go early (after Fahrenheit) when it is reasonable. This is possible if you do two days or the preview (which is what we do). We do all the big rides during the preview and then the water park (and a few rides with reasonable lines and Chocolate World) the next day. It usually works out great and it is a good deal. You only pay for parking one time as well.

We do love Hershey Park but it is not like WDW. Things move very inefficiently and they don't fill all the seats, so if it is busy, the lines can be bad. Also, many of the lines seem to be in the sun so it can get really hot. But it can be a great time if you plan accordingly. And as PP have said, don't go on a Saturday! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter