Hershey park..can it be done on the cheap?

inkedupmomma

modern mouseketeer
Hey all, I live in Pa and it has occured to me that I have never been to Hershey Park. I love chocolate so Idk how I have not been here yet, but I think it is because of the ridiculous price that is attached whenever I try to plan.

Do any of you have Hershey experience? I would really love to take my kids for a long weekend sometime this summer, but I don't want to spend close to $500.00. After all that is 1/4 of decent WDW trip :lmao: I am sure there has to be a way to do it some what cheap..right? If not no biggie, but if you can give me the best tips you all have, I would appreciate it! I wouldn't trust any one but Disers with this question!

Check with your Giant foodstores. I was able to get 4 tickets for $60 when they had a promotion.

Here is what we did a few weeks ago:

arrived around 3pm and went to Chocolate - did the ride and walked around the gift shops - we also ate dinner (pizza is good) but next time we would try eating in the parks. Or there is a Red Robin right around the corner.

We bought a special ticket that allowed entrance at 5pm. Also alot of the groups are leaving around this time so the park really cleared out and we had hardly any waiting in line, plus it was cooler as the sun was setting. We rode some rides and then went thru Zoo America (also included in the price) and then stayed until the park closed. We live around 2 hours from Hershey so we just did a day trip out of it to save money. We brought snacks to eat in the car on the way home.

If you are a Chevy owner you can get 4 free tickets and free parking. I got them for July 10 and also got free lunch because I test drove a Camero. Here is the web site for the free tickets: contest.chevypenn.com/contest2entry.aspx

"Chevrolet owners and invited guest can request up to four complimentary passes to Hersheypark on July 10, July 24, August 14 or August 28 for Chevrolet Owners Appreciation Days. Tickets are going fast and you won’t want to miss this event. Mark your calendars and get ready to experience a fun-filled day, Chevrolet-style.

Complete this form to get your complimentary passes now, tickets are limited and are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Chevrolet owners, you must provide your current VIN and model, in order to confirm that you are an eligible owner. Your address is required as tickets will be mailed to you within 5-7 business days. Limit one order per household. While supplies last. ARV: $50.00 per ticket."

Sorry since I only have 4 posts I can't enter the web address. So google "chevy hershey park" and the web site will be in the top 10 listing. It will say "contest entry"

Too bad you didn't plan ahead to get the free tickets at Giant a few weeks ago or the season passes at the cheapest rate.

For just a few days I would prob still get at least 1 season passes for all the extra discounts like free parking and discounts on food and gifts throughout Hershey.:goodvibes

Good:goodvibes Luck!

How many in your family and how many days would you be in the park? Do you need a hotel stay? I'm about an hour-90 minutes from Hershey, but we never go for more than a day, and never overnight.

Sign up for their emails at hersheypark.com. Back over the 4th of July weekend they had a promo for $15 tickets for that weekend only. Springtime in the park, at Easter-time/beginning of spring, is also reduced admission pricing.

The Giant Food Stores promo might be over, but they should have discount tickets available (with BonusCard, it's free if you don't have one). You should also check local Park & Rec's office for discounts too. ($42 instead of 52.95 for adults).

I think Turkey Hill's have coupons, namely the one right outside the park, near the outlets. There is a list of places to pick up discounts on the HP website.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Normally I probably would do a day trip there, but my ex and I split up in Janary unexpectadely, which forced me to cancel our Disney trip which was scheduled for this September :guilty: Ideally I would like to take the kids for Hershey for at least one over night. I know it is no Disney, believe me I know :confused3 BUT, it would be something fun and who doesn't love chocolate :)

If any of you have any more info, I'm all ears!!

Your best bet is to probably buy your tickets through the local Giant. There is one located on Rt. 39, north of the park, and one located on Rt. 743, south of the park. You can do the special preview the night before which allows you to get in for free two or three hours (can't remember) before the park closes, but you have to show your ticket for the next day. You'll be able to do the entire park in one day plus the extra two or three hours the night before.

Chocolate World, which is adjacent to the Park is free. There is a nice chocolate tour there and gift shops. There is also a 3-D show :3dglasses and a place where you can make your own candy bar, but I think the price is pretty steep - $14.95 :scared1:

I wouldn't stay at any of the Hershey-owned hotels; you'll pay way too much. There are many other local hotels where I know you can get a better price, but since I live here, I don't know any names (and naturally, as many times as I drive by them, I can't think of them). The only one that is coming to mind right now is the Grantville Holiday Inn. It is located off of I81, north of Hershey. I think it is pretty nice. Not certain about the price, but worth a look. I know there are lots of people on these boards that travel to Hershey; maybe they can give you more advice when it comes to hotels.

You can also check out Lancaster. It is only about 60-75 mins. from Hershey and a nice drive down Rt. 283. Lots of attractions there - Amish tours, shopping, Dutch Wonderland (if your kids are little), Strasburg Railroad, Sight & Sound, etc.

PM me if you have any other questions. I live about 5 mins. from the Park (and can actually see the Kisssing Tower from my front yard) so maybe I can be of more help to you.

Enjoy your trip! My boys love going to Hersheypark. :)

One more thing; if you are going on a weekend, it will be very full so plan accordingly.

One other thing I wanted to add - the food in Hersheypark is mediocre and pretty expensive. There is a Red Robin down Hersheypark Drive (you'd have to drive there from Hersheypark). In the other direction (west) on Hersheypark Drive (about a 5 min. drive from the Park) there is an Applebee's, Bob Evans, Pizza Hut and some fast food restaurants. In Hummelstown, a small town just to the west of Hershey, is the Soda Jerk. It is a 50's style restaurant that we enjoy. In Hershey itself is Houlihan's, which gets super full, and Devon's Seafood, which is expensive. We love to go to Fenicci's, located across from the two restaurants just mentioned. All are a few minutes from the Park, located on Rt. 422. Located on Rt. 743, just south of the Park and by the Giant, is Fire Alley. We enjoy their food as well.

These are just some suggestions. I hope it helps.

We were just in that area to look at some colleges and the difference in price between the "Hershey area" hotels and a town away were HUGE. You might want to look at the Palmyra/Annville area. They are less than 15 mins away.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Normally I probably would do a day trip there, but my ex and I split up in Janary unexpectadely, which forced me to cancel our Disney trip which was scheduled for this September :guilty: Ideally I would like to take the kids for Hershey for at least one over night. I know it is no Disney, believe me I know :confused3 BUT, it would be something fun and who doesn't love chocolate :)

If any of you have any more info, I'm all ears!!

I would avoid staying at any hotel in Hershey. Your best bet is to stay somewhere like Grantville. There's a fairly new Mainstay Suites that offers and indoor pool, indoor miniature golf, and indoor basketball. The rooms are spacious and clean and each room has a kitchenette with a full size refridgerator, a stove, and a microwave. Continental breakfast is also included. And it's only about 5 miles from Hershey Park. I'm not sure what they charge in the summer, but there off-season rates are very reasonable, especially if you have AAA.

Ditto for not staying at the Hershey Hotels. When we stay over we stay at Spring Hill Suites. They have complimentary breakfast in the morning and an indoor pool in case of rain.

If you are a Chevy owner you can get 4 free tickets and free parking. I got them for July 10 and also got free lunch because I test drove a Camero. Here is the web site for the free tickets: contest.chevypenn.com/contest2entry.aspx

"Chevrolet owners and invited guest can request up to four complimentary passes to Hersheypark on July 10, July 24, August 14 or August 28 for Chevrolet Owners Appreciation Days. Tickets are going fast and you won’t want to miss this event. Mark your calendars and get ready to experience a fun-filled day, Chevrolet-style.

Complete this form to get your complimentary passes now, tickets are limited and are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Chevrolet owners, you must provide your current VIN and model, in order to confirm that you are an eligible owner. Your address is required as tickets will be mailed to you within 5-7 business days. Limit one order per household. While supplies last. ARV: $50.00 per ticket."

Sorry since I only have 4 posts I can't enter the web address. So google "chevy hershey park" and the web site will be in the top 10 listing. It will say "contest entry"

This is fantastic!
Just checked the website - it says they are experienceing technical difficulties with ticket requests - check back tomorrow. Wonder if that means it's a no go?

Try going the weekend after Labor Day. We were researching dates and this weekend when wew were looking at rooms at the Days Inn were like a 1/3 of the price of a room in August!!:)

This is fantastic!
Just checked the website - it says they are experienceing technical difficulties with ticket requests - check back tomorrow. Wonder if that means it's a no go?

I couldn't get it to pull up. Can you post the link? I am getting server error/ link not found. We are in Baltimore right now and will be for the next 2 1/2 weeks. This would be GREAT!!

I found it! I got the same message that you got. I am just wondering if this is for people who live in PA only. ??

such fantastic advice! thank you all! I was wondering what towns were closest to hershey without it actually being hershey! I will def look into those hotels. I wanted to try and go this summer, but I may try to go in September. After all that is when our Disney trip was supposed to be, and if it saves me some money, then even better!

such fantastic advice! thank you all! I was wondering what towns were closest to hershey without it actually being hershey! I will def look into those hotels. I wanted to try and go this summer, but I may try to go in September. After all that is when our Disney trip was supposed to be, and if it saves me some money, then even better!

Make sure you check operating dates after Labor Day. Typically parks around here are only open Memorial Day through Labor Day, but more and more they have been adding additional weekend dates before and after the "summer season".

They also have a Halloween (Hersheypark in the Dark) event, if you want to wait until mid-late October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter