~~~Here it is!~~~ Illuminations Dessert Party June 18th registration thread!

Penny,
I was just watching the WDW vacation planning DVD. In the Magical Gatherings section it mentioned being about to schedule a 'special' safari with a themed dinner afterwards. I know our family would love to be able to go on one of those safaris that takes more time and lets you really enjoy viewing the animals (like the Sunrise safari that if offered to some guest at AKL).

I just wondered if this is something they may have mentioned to you. Is this something that a group like ours could do.

Again, just brainstorming here. We enjoy the anmials at AK, and really like that park, but I don't know how others would feel about it.

DJ

Hey DJ

The after park hours event that I am currently looking in to is a variation on a theme of the Safari Dinner offered through Grand Gatherings - but more customized especially just for us and therefore (I should hope!) be better 'quality' :)

They do offer a 'premium' event at Animal Kingdom which involves the Safari, all of Harambe being open for dining with food stations offering a variety of different types of food for dinner and an all round street 'party' atmosphere - followed by a private showing of The Festival of the Lion King. I mean, for many people (not myself I hasten to add because I love AK) the Safari and TFLK are the only two reasons to visit the AK!

It can't tell you how totally <b>fantastic it looks!!!</b> I'd love to be able to do this but unfortunately the high cost of the FTLK means we'd need double the amount of people currently earmarked as attending to bring the cost in to a reasonable price bracket :(

I'm hoping <i>maybe</i> (it's a big maybe) that when we start getting numbers together for the AK event we'll start with the event that's similar to the Grand Gatherings dinner but can afford to 'upgrade' to having the street party (rather than just dinner at somewhere like the Tusker House) if we've the numbers - we need a good attendance for it though because AK charge a venue fee for using the Harambe Area, unlike if we spent our time eating within a restaurant.

I already have our rep looking in to the possibility of us attending regular GG events if we wish. I'm waiting to hear back whether they will accomodate us taking over an entire event for just our group. I was asking in particular about the GG breakfast at Tony's as I've heard <i>really</i> good things about this!

If it turns out that they can't accomodate us then of course, there is nothing to stop people getting together independently and registering themselves as a bunch of mini Grand Gatherings so they can go to the events.

I'll keep you all posted how that goes - keep the ideas coming in the meantime though :)

We are definately instersted in the backstage tours - especially the Innovation in Action one. That would be a definate for us!

Thanks for doing all this planning - sounds like a great time!

Hi Penny! I just sent our info in too! You're doing such a great job on this! We just got back last weekend, we're going down for my sister's wedding in May and weren't planning any more trips, but this sounds too good to miss!

Welcome aboard then Kristin's Mommy :)

I probably won't be posting much about this over the next week or two due to the Holidays - just wanted everyone to know that it's because I, along with everyone else no doubt will be busy and not because I've lost interest or forgotten or anything. :)

The plan right now is to have one last 'recruitment drive' for numbers after things get back to normal in the New Year, and then I can sign on the dotted line and start collecting deposits - I'm sure at that point I'll find it exciting and scary all at once!

WebmasterPenny said:
Hey DJ

The after park hours event that I am currently looking in to is a variation on a theme of the Safari Dinner offered through Grand Gatherings - but more customized especially just for us and therefore (I should hope!) be better 'quality' :)

They do offer a 'premium' event at Animal Kingdom which involves the Safari, all of Harambe being open for dining with food stations offering a variety of different types of food for dinner and an all round street 'party' atmosphere - followed by a private showing of The Festival of the Lion King. I mean, for many people (not myself I hasten to add because I love AK) the Safari and TFLK are the only two reasons to visit the AK!

It can't tell you how totally <b>fantastic it looks!!!</b> I'd love to be able to do this but unfortunately the high cost of the FTLK means we'd need double the amount of people currently earmarked as attending to bring the cost in to a reasonable price bracket :(

I can personally attest to this event looking fantastic. When they filmed this for a new vacation planning video aimed at large groups, I, along with 6 or 7 other Safari drivers, were able to be included as "street partyers". (If you ever get a chance to see it, we are the ONLY folks in the village that are standing, amongst everyone else who are all seated at tables lining the main street of Harambe.)

My DD's dance recitial is this weekend, we just found out! I was OK with that at first, but now I really want to come. Penny, when are you going to need to know a firm yes or no? Maybe the date for dance will change (that happened last year, and we planned around the first date and then had to adjust plans for the new dates).

Thanks,
DJ

Hey DJ!

Well assuming you don't have a problem paying the deposit to ensure your place (which would be refundable if you then had to cancel) then I won't be looking to pay Disney the balance and fully commit until about April 1st.

Will that work for you? :)

Oh, and I forgot to say thanks to Pandy Paws for that info, you're the only person I've come across to have actually seen the street party first hand :)

(Ps. I always watch for you when I go on the Safari's....no luck yet though!)

WebmasterPenny said:
Hey DJ!

Well assuming you don't have a problem paying the deposit to ensure your place (which would be refundable if you then had to cancel) then I won't be looking to pay Disney the balance and fully commit until about April 1st.

Will that work for you? :)

That should work for us. I am SO bummed about this dance recital thing. If it weren't for this being the last year with this wonderful teacher (who is graduating from college and moving to Florida), I would have her skip it. But DD is very attached to this dance teacher and recital will be their last 'good-bye'.

Anyway, we will see!
DJ

Count me in for AK after hours!

How will you handle the deposits? Will they need to be sent to you personally, and if so, in what amount?

Quite some time ago I arranged something similar (on a smaller scale) and was able to secure the reservations with the full payment for myself only and providing the names of everyone else, was given a confirmation number for the ressie, then each person called in (within 72 hours of my initial reservation) and was able to put their full payment on their own credit cards so they could earn those Disney Dollars/airline miles. I guess that option isn't available in this case?

Anyway, it all sounds good! :cool1:

Penny,
Our group would be interested in the after hours AK party. There will be 8 of us. 3 adults, 5 kids ranging from 5-15 years old. However if the party is moved to Monday, we won't be able to come because they is the day we go home. All of these is very exciting!! :cheer2:

Hi Penny,
My friend and I are definitely up for this one if it's on Saturday. We have to fly out on Monday night so that won't work for us. This plan is just looking better and better! Thanks for putting it all together.
Patti

Hi Taswira :)

With regards to deposits, due to the tailored nature of these events (at least the ones so far) they'll have to all be sent to me - though it might be possible to arrange for payments to be made direct for the Backstage Tours as these are 'off the shelf'. If the discounted rooms thing comes off, that too will be booked direct with Disney.

The money aspect of this is the one thing that I know is going to cause me a headache, especially as I don't have a 'professional' PayPal account which means the amount of funds that can pass through the account each month is strictly limited and I can't take credit cards. Not that I want to use PayPal much anyhow - I've heard way too many scare stories about them over the last 6 months that make me want to save that payment option as a last resort - preferred payment will be via check. As such, when I sign the contracts - I'll be immediatly paying the deposit for all the events myself, and technically speaking, you guys will all be 'paying me back; that's why it's so important that I have as good an idea as possible of numbers beforehand - because if I overestimate, then I'm stuck paying a higher deposit than I need and it'll be out of my pocket :o

I've been thinking about the dates some more as a few others have said that they'd be leaving on the Monday - perhaps another option would be to swap nights with the Illuminations Dessert Party if we can't do it on the Saturday. I really love the new EMH nights Disney have added but the fact that they haven't made up their mind about what nights they are to offer it permanently is now a major pain :mad:

Penny,
I have been off-line since right before Christmas- and my e-mail has changed. I am sending a new e-mail to the registration thread. Will that work? Also, any word on the discounted rooms? Not sure if I should book now and change it later? Advice?
Thanks,
Dana

Hi Penny - Yes, I would prefer to mail you a check for the deposits for the events, as I do NOT want to use PayPal!

As for the dates, not that it matters since I am only one person, but I am totally flexible with my schedule, so I'm a "definite" even if it ends up on Monday. :D

Do you have a deadline for registration Penny? Trying to work out a schedule since I'm supposed to come down to Florida for other reasons. Thanks!

iluvdisney - I plan to open up official registration and deposits in the next couple of weeks, just waiting to sort some more details with the Disney rep first. Aside from the Adventurer's Club selling out due to capacity and due to the exceptional response to the Dessert Party I may also have to cap that - then I can take new registrations till probably about mid/late March.

However, it goes without saying that if people who intend on coming but hold off registering till March thinking that they don't have to will severely mess with the attendance figures (not to mention that I'll have already stumped up the cash for it and will be out of pocket until everyone pays me back)...and of course, I have to be constantly watching these as we have certain required targets to hit before I'm prepared to go ahead with the event. In other words, if I book the Animal Kingdom party and only 50 people send in their deposit by say the middle of February then I would then have to cancel it due to not enough response and find something else to replace it - doesn't really matter if afterwards people say "oh I was <i>going</i> to send in my deposit eventually..." - so that would really be a <b>bad</b> thing from an administrative point of view!

Deposits for the Dessert party and AC will be $15 per adult, $10 per child, the AK event will be a bit more at $25/$15 - the tours I'm trying to find out if everyone can pay for these direct to Disney, these will probably need to be paid for in full - like normal tours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter