HELP!I'm pouring my heart out here, need advice!*Updated 6/12/07*

Wow, I just found this post and I can totally relate! My husband lost his job a year and a half ago, very unexpectedly! Off work for 10 months! Now has a job but it pays about 25,000 less (should go up significantly in the next year or so!) We tried so hard to stay in the house, but got farther and farther into debt! After lots of soul-searching...we decided to sell our dream house! We had a full price offer with no contingencies in 2 weeks! :goodvibes To me, that was Gods way of letting us know we made the right decision! After paying off all our debt, we have about 15,000 left (keep in mind we sold it for 50,000 more than we paid for it 5 years ago! :guilty: ). So, we moved out and are living with my mom and dad so we can save some more money and take our time finding our next (smaller and less expensive) home. The bright side...we took some money that my DH and I were going to use for a 10 year anniv. trip and booked our family's first trip to WDW! :earsboy: If it means we get into our next house a couple of months later, it will be worth it! I think it is hardest, most humbling thing in the world to admit to making financial mistakes but admiting them means you are changing them! So many people that I would have never expected have told me they are in the same boat but are in denial! Theres more people out there in your boat than you realize! Congratulations on getting your life back! God bless! :flower:

MAGICX2 said:
Hello all! :teeth: Just a quick update. WE SOLD OUR HOUSE!!! :rotfl: :cool1: I knew as soon as we had decided to stick it out in this house we would sell it. Our neighbor and good friend across the street from us is a realtor. He had a couple about the same age as us that are relocating to our town and starting up a new church. They have two children same age as ours. They looked at our house 3 times within four days, took a week to think about it,and then submitted an offer. I didn't realize how nerve wracking selling a home is! :crazy: We had to counter three times and them four, but we finally came to an agreement. We will come away with the deal with about $150. Yeah! Remeber, we have already remortgaged once, so essentially I made alot more on the house, but I have to consider it money already spent. Also, they want to close by 12/30, but they are not moving here until Aug. 1,2006. So, they are leasing the house to us until then! :banana: We have plenty of time to find something to rent that is right for us and not have to rush into it. We will then be able to pay our debt down in 24 months or less and then make a decision on what to do. Also, part of the deal is that they are putting a 600 square foot addition onto the back of the house that should be completed in early March. We will also be allowed to use this living space. I was scared at first, but DH and I feel we made the best decision for our family. God is good. Prayers do get answered. Maybe not right when we want, but when the time is right, they are answered. Thanks to my fellow DIS'ers for the support. :love2:

MAGICX2 said:
Hello all! :teeth: Just a quick update. WE SOLD OUR HOUSE!!!

Hoorah and congratulations! Just the first step in your new life! It sounds like you've got a great plan in place, and I wish you the best of luck :) Thanks for the update! :wave2:

Hiddy Ho Good Neighbors! Just wanted to drop everyone a line and let them know how we are doing. Well....we finally closed on our home on Jan. 10. Let me get my flame suit on before I tell you the details. :furious: We had more expenses involved in the closing then we anticipated. We have never sold a home before and we built this house ourselves so we didn't have a traditional closing then either. We knew we were going to be paying the buyers $1500 closing costs. What we didn't know is that we were going to be paying about $2000 for real estate taxes in the rears. All in all our cost was about $4300. I am proud to say that we did not use the credit cards for anything, but it definitely wiped us out. :sad2: Then on Jan. 18 I wrecked my car(again) :rolleyes: on some very icy roads. The children were with me and they are fine. I on the other hand will most likely need surgery on my cervical spine to adjust the fusion plate that is currently there and add another plate at a different level. This will put me off work about three months. We are down to $0 and it is becoming very evident how tight it is around here. The first payment on the Sallie Mae loan we took out (as mentioned in previous posts) is coming due on 2/25. We started making $200 payments every Fri. by automatic deduction from our bank account last week and that has made it even more cinched. We are getting by but just barely. I know we have put ourselves in this situation and we are still working very hard every day to get out of it. It might not be so tight if we had a longer term on some of the things we have arranged in the last few months, but our plan was out of debt in three years or less and we are determined to stay on track. It has been really hard lately. I have found myself going back to that old way of thinking every once in a while. I say to myself, we are already so much in the hole why not just go shopping. Then reallity kicks in and I say because I don't want to be paying for a paIR of jeans for the next 30 years. It is hard. A lot of people might not think so given our circumstance, but it is. There is a little bit of relief coming. Our tax return is due back before the end of the month. We also should be receiving our escrow balance check soon. These things will help get us back on track. We will be in this house paying $1400 a month in a lease until July. Then we plan on renting at hopfully half or less of that. The other half will go directly to debt. I just wanted to give everyone an update. And I guess I am looking for a little bit of support too. It is really hard not to get down right now. Thanks family.

Great news! My house sold too - and I'll be closing this week..

And you're 100% correct - selling a house IS nerve racking!!!!! I'm so glad that I'm not buying another one - the buying process is probably just as nerve racking as the selling process!!

Just read this thread- keep up the great work! You have done amazing things and made difficult choices. It will get better- what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. There will be a time when you are in your new house, with debt under control and feeling great. Keep your head up- you CAN do it!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

I think this is the hardest part of the redo, Magic. You have spent a lot of time and effort in research, making a new budget, asking people for help and selling your home. You have been very busy! Now it just gets down to the nitty gritty of doing the plan/budget and that gets wearing. NOt only that, but its winter too! :sad2:

I did the impulse buy, then went home, sat on it for two days and did the return! I felt good when buying, then even better when I returned.

Its hard, best wishes.

I hope you are going to be okay (healthwise).

Take care and hang in there.

I'll try to help pick you up. Imagine how your finances would have handled these things if you hadn't started getting your "financial house" in order. The fact that you had an emergency fund helped keep you on track! The thing that you need to do right now is probably one of the hardest things to do, keep a positive attitude. I'm often amazed at what a little positive thinking can do. Also, keep looking toward July when you can move to a less expensive apartment. That will give you the breathing room that you are looking for.

Just keep coming back to the Dis every time you feel like going shopping...we'll be your support group! :grouphug:

I think it is a little song that goes...

"pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again!"

I think that is fitting for your situation Magic! We have also had some set backs since I was laid off in November. But thank goodness, like you, we had an emergency fund already in place and we were working on our debt when this happened. If I had not found Dave Ramsey a few months before who knows how much our cc's would have gone up to!!!! We have not used a cc since July and dont plan on it! The budget is the KEY!

Magic - Just read most of this thread and I am amazed and in awe of how you have taken charge of your life. The good news is how much you have learned and how young your children are!!! By the time they are old enough to be aware of material things you will have been able to teach them the responsibility that goes along with it. Also you will have many years of financial stability ahead watching your family grow in peace and security!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Magic -- it may be looking quite dreary out right now, but take heart. You're not in more debt because YOU ARE responsible. It is tight and it's not easy, but the thing is YOU ARE DOING IT. And your husband is right on board. The devil doesn't play fair, and he can throw a lot of things at you in a short amount of time. But you are becoming good stewards of what God has given you, and in time, you will hear those precious words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." It will be worth it all. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I didn't read all the old posts but some! But STAY POSITIVE! You have done wonders and if you keep smiling and don't give up everything will work out, one way or another. Thank god your children weren't hurt, or you more seriously! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Hello Everyone! It's been so long since I posted that I bet you thought I had dropped of the earth, or at least fell of the wagon! Ha Ha :rotfl: I am still on the wagon, and still rolling. We are out of our house! :cheer2: We paid the last month of rent on July 1st. Yeah! We had been paying rent (Only slightly less than what our mortgage payment was. :guilty: )to the buyers of our house since Jan. But now that is over. We have moved into town in a three bedroom house for $650. A month. That is less than half what we were paying in mortgage payments. :banana:

I hadn't really been able to buckle down and do the debt snowball because we were still just getting by. But now I can get that thing rollin' and keep on truckin'. I am very proud to say however that I have not used a credit card since I burnt them up! That's right cash for everything! And I am so proud. :thumbsup2 We have been doing great. It has been even more tight recently because we have had to buy some necessities for our new home. We had to purchase a new refridgerator and a new microwave. But I comparison shopped on the fridge and I bought the smallest microwave I could at WalMart. We also had to do some work to the house. It all added up quick.

I have been off of work since March 8. If you remeber I wrecked my car back in Jan. and subsequently started having problems with my neck. I had a myelogram to see if I had ruptured a intervertebral disk and ended up having severe complications from the myelogram. After I had finally recouped from that, I had surgery on May 24 to remove the ruptured disk and put in a bone graft to fuse two cervical vertebrae together. I am doing well, and will be returning to work on Aug. 14. That will have had me off work for the last five months! :sad2: And still did not have to use any credit. I did have short term disability to help us through, but it was only 60% of my pay. It helped us really buckle down.

Now that we are getting settled we will be able to really start that pay-off. The plan is to live on my salary while we use all of hubby's salary to pay off debt. That will be $2800 a month we can pay towards the debt! :bounce: It will probably take a month or so to really get rolling, but by Sept. we should be good to go.

I want to thank everyone once again for your comments, suggestions, thoughts, and prayers. Keep them coming! :grouphug: That is the only way I am going to get through this!

Glad to hear things are happening for you. Sorry about your rehab, but you seem to have made it work for you- if that sounds at all possible. Thanks for the update on your progress- good thoughts being sent your way... :goodvibes

HEY, GIRL! I was worried about you -- I even did a search on the whole board to see if you were posting somewhere else, and when I didn't find you, I wondered if that neck business had really wreaked havoc for your health. I am sooooooo proud of you. If there was ever going to be a temptation to use those cards, these last several months were it. And you didn't!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Can't wait to hear how it all starts coming together for you. Have a great day and a great big :grouphug: from all of your friends here!

Good for you! What a success story. You should be proud. Do you realize you started this thread last September? Look how far you've come in 9.5 months. Way to go! :cheer2:

MAGICX2,

Thanks for the update! Great job of making drastic changes to improve your future!

Best of luck in the new house rental, in fully recovering from your injuries, in getting back to work, and in buckling down and paying off ALL your debt with all the savings and sacrifices you've been making.

Wishing you the peace of mind of being debt free and the wonderful feeling of less stress because of money. Remember that you are in charge of your money and how you spend it. Money will not be in charge of your life.

Keep up the great job! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter