HELP!I'm pouring my heart out here, need advice!*Updated 6/12/07*

Although I advocated the use of credit cards for an emergency (only if you could pay it off in full). I think you did the right thing. If you are going to do the Dave Ramsey program do it the way it was intended and before you know it credit cards won't even enter the picture.

Even though I am extremely disciplined and do pay it off in full when I use it that way, I am starting to use cash and it is really better.

Keep up the good work and remember "Baby Steps"

I didn't read many of the responses and I'm sure I'm going against the grain, but buy the land if it's your dream. Give up whatever it takes to make it work and turn your situation around. Keep trying to sell the house and move into a trailer or camper on the lot while you build. Do a lot of the work yourself if you're able.

They aren't making any more land! I regret not buying more when we were younger and had fewer responsibilities.

Good luck.

Sheila

Magic, it's OK to panic, as long as you can then step back, take a deep breath and look at the big picture. You did just that -- you have come soooooooooooooo far!! :cool1: $1,500 is a lot of money, and it's understandable that you immediately reached for the old standby. But it's fabulous that you didn't go through with it. There has been so much good advice here, whether or not everyone is on the Dave Ramsey boat or not. Almost every single post has SOMETHING you can pull out of it and use, no matter what the tone. You've got guts, girl. Pay with your cash and bonuses. Then you can smile all the way to the bank with the rest of the bonuses when you build up your emergency fund again. I am SO PROUD of you! Don't be too hard on yourself -- you're breaking a habit that has been years in the making, and that's not easy. BUT YOU ARE DOING IT! And Christmas, too. :grouphug: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you!! The next time will be easier. Just remember when times are difficult - Don't forget to breath. We panic first, when we should just take a deep breath and slowly look at the situation. Everything doesn't Have to be a crisis. [Now if I could just convince Dh of that fact! lol!!]

OceanAnnie said:
You've gotten some great advice, here's a few things I'd do:

::MickeyMo Keep a spending journal. Just use a spiral notebook, keep your receipts for the day and record date, what you spent, and where. Very effective. You can see trends in your spending and start thinking what to cut out and what to trim.

::MickeyMo You only need one cc. Really. Get one that has a rewards program. I like upromise. It helps you save for your children's education. It's won't be huge, but it's free money.

::MickeyMo If you are a spendaholic, you probably have too much stuff. Start selling the stuff you don't need to recoup some money (yard sale, ebay, classified).

::MickeyMo Focus more on selling your house. Why do you think it's not selling? It may need revamping of some sort. There's a good book out for just decorating ideas, "More Splash than Cash". Might be some ideas to help jazz it up abit.

Fantastic Advice

Okay here is my drama for today! First, once a year, my DH boss pays for a cleaning service to come in and clean the employees (there are only 5 of them) wives homes. Nice perk. Well this morning I went to back out of my garage, forgetting that the cleaning service was there and I slammed right into her car! :earseek: :blush: I have been driving my moms car while mine is being repaired. Moms car is okay, however I all but tore the front bumper off of the cleaners car. She is someone we know, who cleans for our friends, and she just laughed it off. I told her to let me know how much the damage was. She said "Do you know how many times this old car has been banged up by people I clean for?" It was pretty bad though and she agreed she would need to get it fixed. Ok, so I leave for work. I get about three miles from my house and a guy in a truck goes left of center completely into my lane! :earseek: He had been bent over doing something, I couldn't see his head! I swerved to avoid a head on collision and side swiped a mail box and a pole with the right side of my mom's car, demolishing the passenger side mirror. He didn't even stop, let alone turn around. I doubt he even realized what happened. :mad: At this point I was in hysterics. :eek: I called my DH cell. He had left a few min. behind me and said sit tight he would be right there. Thank the Lord he had taken the kids with him. I was shakey and very upset. I also called my mom and she said to calm down it would be alright and we would get it taken care of. I CAN NOT BELIEVE this has all happened to me all before 9AM! :sad2: I got control of myself and drove on to work, red swollen face and all! I look like I have had a severe allergic reaction to something after I have been crying really hard. :rotfl: I am trying to remain upbeat. But, as the day has wore on, the financial impact of it all is hitting me hard. How will I ever cover all this? :guilty: If I EVER meet this guy Murphy, he is one cooked goose!

:grouphug:

My Mom always said that bad things seem to come in threes. If true, looks like your luck is about to change!

It will be a financial set back especially since you have been doing so well so far. But at the end of the day, it's just money. Just be thankful that you and everyone in your family is safe and hopefully healthy. Those are things that money can't buy.

Best of luck and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

MagicX2 -- Everything is going to be okay. The mirror won't be too bad. Know how I know? I had an incident almost exactly like yours in October! It was about $250, but my son's girlfriend paid much less by going somewhere different -- see lots of people do the mirror thing. It sounds like the housecleaner is very reasonable, so she's not going to try to rip you off.

We're going through a phase right now where it seems like something different breaks every day, so I have a really good idea how you feel. I started working full-time in July after 20+ years of part-time, and I thought our budget was going to feel very flexible. We have had extra expenses every single month! I also am the poster who talked about transmissions earlier b/c we'll be doing one before too long. We have had a leak in an upstairs bathroom into the garage and have to have major home repairs done as soon as we can find someone we trust sawing into the floor -- I'm assuming this will take pretty much all of our emergency fund b/c I'm expecting it to be thousands.

I try to keep reminding myself that this is just stuff, not the things that really matter in life.

Try and keep a sense of humor about the whole thing, it's amazing what a little laughter can do. I backed out of my garage last summer (the day before our trip to WDW) right into my mother in law's car. Damaged both cars pretty good (I even have sensors on my bumpers to avoid collisions!). Stuff happens! My biggest fear was the people at work picking on me, so I had it fixed while we were on vacation and picked it up the day before I went back to work! I think you'll find that Murphy will go away, because you've prepared yourself with Murphy repellant (ie - emergency fund).

PS-You might want to let your husband drive tomorrow if you are going out ;)

Good luck and happy turkey day! :wave:

The fact that you've admitted all of these embarrassing things is a good first step on the road to correcting this problem. There's alot of very wise advice here----ponder it all and make changes. What you must remember is that this did not happen yesterday and it will not all be repaired tomorrow. Set small goals and move on from there. FIRST---put those cc in a locked drawer and only use them for emergencies. I wish you the best. I know first hand what this feels like and I know you can change it.

MAGICX2 said:
Okay here is my drama for today! First, once a year, my DH boss pays for a cleaning service to come in and clean the employees (there are only 5 of them) wives homes. Nice perk. Well this morning I went to back out of my garage, forgetting that the cleaning service was there and I slammed right into her car! :earseek: :blush: I have been driving my moms car while mine is being repaired. Moms car is okay, however I all but tore the front bumper off of the cleaners car. She is someone we know, who cleans for our friends, and she just laughed it off. I told her to let me know how much the damage was. She said "Do you know how many times this old car has been banged up by people I clean for?" It was pretty bad though and she agreed she would need to get it fixed. Ok, so I leave for work. I get about three miles from my house and a guy in a truck goes left of center completely into my lane! :earseek: He had been bent over doing something, I couldn't see his head! I swerved to avoid a head on collision and side swiped a mail box and a pole with the right side of my mom's car, demolishing the passenger side mirror. He didn't even stop, let alone turn around. I doubt he even realized what happened. :mad: At this point I was in hysterics. :eek: I called my DH cell. He had left a few min. behind me and said sit tight he would be right there. Thank the Lord he had taken the kids with him. I was shakey and very upset. I also called my mom and she said to calm down it would be alright and we would get it taken care of. I CAN NOT BELIEVE this has all happened to me all before 9AM! :sad2: I got control of myself and drove on to work, red swollen face and all! I look like I have had a severe allergic reaction to something after I have been crying really hard. :rotfl: I am trying to remain upbeat. But, as the day has wore on, the financial impact of it all is hitting me hard. How will I ever cover all this? :guilty: If I EVER meet this guy Murphy, he is one cooked goose!

Oh MagicX2...hang in there! Stay upbeat. Granted, you've had a rough week by anyone's standards, but you'll get it through it. You're making great strides...stick to your plan!

It sounds like you really had a bad day yesterday. I'm so sorry. There is no convenient time for an accident but I know that you're thinking "Why now?" Try not to let it get you down. Think of how having that emeregency fund put you $1K ahead on all these troubles. Use your DH's bonus money to take care of all of the car repairs and then work on replenishing the emergency fund. You did it once, you can certainly do it again.

Last spring, we went thru 3 straight months of $1K+ emergencies. We were fine because of the emergency fund that we have built up over the years. But it really made me think about the people who are living paycheck to paycheck with no savings. The kind of spring we had would have been devastating to them.

Keep your head high. Count your blessings today and every day. This is just a bump on the road of life. You'll get past it.

life happens every day. The good, the bad, the ugly and most often, the glorious. Try and manage the others, and truly take time to stop and notice the glorious....the color of your childs eyes, the smile your husband gives you at the end of the day, the way your child giggles, the doodle on his homework, the beauty of a snowflake or a sunset. Relax. It all works out.

Hello all! :teeth: Just a quick update. WE SOLD OUR HOUSE!!! :rotfl: :cool1: I knew as soon as we had decided to stick it out in this house we would sell it. Our neighbor and good friend across the street from us is a realtor. He had a couple about the same age as us that are relocating to our town and starting up a new church. They have two children same age as ours. They looked at our house 3 times within four days, took a week to think about it,and then submitted an offer. I didn't realize how nerve wracking selling a home is! :crazy: We had to counter three times and them four, but we finally came to an agreement. We will come away with the deal with about $150. Yeah! Remeber, we have already remortgaged once, so essentially I made alot more on the house, but I have to consider it money already spent. Also, they want to close by 12/30, but they are not moving here until Aug. 1,2006. So, they are leasing the house to us until then! :banana: We have plenty of time to find something to rent that is right for us and not have to rush into it. We will then be able to pay our debt down in 24 months or less and then make a decision on what to do. Also, part of the deal is that they are putting a 600 square foot addition onto the back of the house that should be completed in early March. We will also be allowed to use this living space. I was scared at first, but DH and I feel we made the best decision for our family. God is good. Prayers do get answered. Maybe not right when we want, but when the time is right, they are answered. Thanks to my fellow DIS'ers for the support. :love2:

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are going well. Good luck finding a new home that fits your likes, your needs and your budget ;) . Happy holidays.

I am so happy for you! I bet it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders, and just in time to enjoy the holidays! Congratulations!!

That is such good news! I'm so glad for you guys! It's been a long time coming, selling that house. You have come a long way since your first post! :)

Looks like you are making major changes to your life! Kudos to you for having the guts to make the necessary changes to bring your financial life back to order.

Your updates are very inspirational and I hope it helps others out there in similar siutations!

Best of luck in finding someplace nice to rent at a decent price in the months to come. It really worked out that the new owners didn't need to move ASAP and so you have some time. I assume that the lease amount for the house is less than your carrying costs for the house?

God is indeed good and certainly answers prayers! But sometimes only when we are willing to listen! Lol! Looks like you and your DH are doing some hard listening! Once again good luck!

Your update is inspirational to me! We are currently trying to sell our home. My husband has been relocated out of state and it has been frustrating. We just built our home and have only lived here a year so there are many mixed emotions. Thanks for helping me remember to keep the faith and that everything happens in its due time! Happy Holidays!! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter