Help: Grandparents want to come to WDW but don't want to walk or stand in line much

I think it is sweet that they want to spend time with their family. Since this will not be your families last trip to WDW, why not try to be accommodating and modify your trip to spend more time with them? I would not expect them to spend a lot of time in the parks. What I would suggest is to change your resort to one that is more senior friendly like maybe Gaylord Palms? If you want to stay on site, a resort large enough where they will not feel confined to the room and can sit/walk inside the lobby. Even a cabin at Ft Wilderness would be accommodating and they could prepare meals while you are at the park. When we took my parents to our cabin for our ski vacation they would come watch the kids tube at the slopes for a few hours, then they headed back to the cabin and had dinner waiting for us when we returned. Another benefit to the cabin is parking right at the cabin. Many seniors enjoy the cabin an evening activities and you can drop them off where they need to be in the car and then the driver circle back to park and then join the group.

I wouldn't expect them to try to walk an entire park but meet up with you for maybe dining reservations, a parade, Fantasmic (because they can sit vs stand). If you do a character breakfast, maybe see a show, then they head back to the hotel while your family rides or roam the park for a while. Maybe not spend as many hours roaming/riding park as you normally would. There are plenty of other things to do in Orlando and WDW that wouldn't require they walk as much as inside a park.

This may not be your ideal plan, but it might be the last family vacation that they can attend.

Hi,

We are doing a cruise in early March. DH and DW with our two kids, DS 6, DD 1. My parents, both in their late seventies, are coming on the cruise and want to join us in Orlando for the week after the cruise. We'd be in Orlando Mar 12-19. This is surprising as we go to WDW almost every year they have never expressed interest in coming before. They have even offered to put us up for free using time share swap at Silver Lake, condo resort right by AK.
Sounds great, a very generous offer and I am very happy family can spend more time together but problems are we prefer staying on site (I'd rather pay and stay on site), we don't like going when it's really busy (crowd calendars say that week will be very busy), my mom said she wants to go and 'do what we do' but she doesn't want to stand in line anywhere and on top of that neither of them has good mobility and neither would use a wheelchair or scooter.
So in my mind this visit could just be a disaster. I've stayed at Silver Lake, decent but not a 'destination resort.' Not somewhere my parents would be happy too long sitting around while we are at the parks.
I'm thinking if we take their offer of accommodation I'd splurge on a VIP tour for us all but not sure if they could handle even that.
Not sure what to do. Anyone had experience with seniors who won't use mobility assist at WDW? Any tips on how to make this work?
I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies yet, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything others have already said.
My parents are in their 70's. We went this past Easter (Mom 73, Dad 71), and while they are both relatively active and have no mobility issues, it was still a bit taxing for them. Mom was more game to keep going, but Dad has rheumatoid arthritis and is diabetic, and he just got worn out. He's also not into dealing with crowds, standing in lines, and just wandering around for hours on end like my mom and I tend to do, LOL. Some days, he simply headed back to the resort early, or stayed behind while we went to the parks.

In planning our next visit, I really wasn't sure Dad would want to come at all, but when I started researching renting DVC points, and the opportunity to stay at either a monorail resort or an Epcot-area resort became a real option, he started to perk up. Turns out, one of the things he had the most trouble with was the buses. Understandable, since they were packed nearly every time we rode them (this is Easter, remember), and we often wound up standing/holding on. So, his main request was that we stay somewhere that wouldn't require riding a bus. Obviously, Animal Kingdom always will, but he never went to AK because he just wasn't interested anyway, and we won't be going there at all on this next trip.

The other great thing about a resort with "non-bus" transportation that is very close to at least one park, is that should they get tired and want a break, they can easily get back to the hotel while everyone else stays in the park.

Renting DVC points is great because you're getting the convenience of a deluxe resort's location and amenities for a fraction of what it would cost from Disney. Is it still expensive? Yes. But it could make for a much more relaxing and enjoyable visit to WDW for everyone.

We're staying at the VGF when we go, but I think the Boardwalk is a great choice for a group with people who might want to hang back at the resort sometimes. There's more to explore and see at the Boardwalk, IMO, plus it has very reasonable rates through DVC.

Other than that, I would suggest trying to make a touring plan that flows and breaks up the day in segments that require as little sustained walking as possible. Don't zig-zag the parks trying to hit FP+ and ride as many rides as humanly possible within a given amount of time. You've got young children, so they're going to need frequent breaks and a great deal of patience and flexibility too.

And definitely get to the parks early. Don't rush. Let them enjoy the whole experience of the parks. If they've not been to WDW before, just entering the MK and making your way down Main St. can take awhile because there is so much to look at and explore.

I look at it this way. Odds are, you and your kids will return to Disney many times. This might be the only trip for the grandparents. So, let it be about them. Plan your schedule and touring style with the idea in the back of your head of making sure they have a wonderful time.

Frankly, I think offering a little perspective that vacationing with ANYONE for two straight weeks is something that warrants considering.

Especially if they are mobility challenged and resistant to assistance. AND that is coupled with then having spent a week on a cruise before the trip. That is adding another huge stressor. Disney is exhausting for active people who go for a week. I can't imagine tacking a week on for people who are elderly and not able to walk great distances.

But thanks for your lessons there, coach.

The reason you cannot imagine it is because you perhaps have not done that. I have vacationed with my Mom and her mobility was very limited so when we vacationed together expectations were modified. Granted we did nto go to Disney together, but looking back, I wish she had been with us on those trips when my DGD was little. SHe woudl have loved it, and the rest of us woudl have as well.

The OP is not tacking a week on for two random folks from the Senior Center who want to tag along. She is trying to determine the best way to include parents. Parents who are aging and who perhaps are concerned that they may not have the opportunity to experience a vacation in a place that the family cherishes.

She understands that the experience coudl be stressful for them and for her parents if they do not make plans ahead of time to alleviate those challenges. Many of us have traveled with extended family and can offer suggestions. If you cannot find a way to contribute, it would be nice if you do not derail the conversation.

LOVED your perspective!! I have been watching this thread because I am planning a trip that will likely include grandparents.

Been having the onsite/offsite debate especially since we can only afford a value room. That said, onsite sounds easier since folks can split up and go back and forth between room and parks at their leisure without having to wait for 1-2 cars. Plus, we can get free dining, which I think makes paying for food less complicated.

We do want to move slow with plenty of breaks - especially since we will have a 3.5yr old in our group. The space of an offsite would be so nice!

Onsite is generally easier because of the transportation that is available. I realize that your budget does not include the deluxe resorts but I would consider a moderate if possible. THe discounts will sometimes bring the total cost down so you can justify the cost. They do offer a few more amenities that the grandparents can enjoy if the rest of the crew is still off and running. When you look at costs, factor in transportation costs if you need to rent a car, as well as parking fees at the parks. Of course your food may be less because offsite often allows for more choices for meals.

Someone else also suggested DVC rental and that woudl be my choice, if possible. The DVC resorts are pretty darn nice, offer a lot of amenities that the values do not, and have more living space for the family. I have not done this, but others here have a lot of experience.

One thing I will say is that when you choose your lodgings, make sure that the grounds, if offsite are manageable for your grands. My sister and her husband took his Mom, and stayed at their time share. His mom was not up to the parks, and they had no experience with Disney, so their decisions were not wall thought out, The time share property was enormous, the distance to the pool alone was more than the poor woman could manage, so my DS and DBIL had to time their park plans around her so she was not stranded anywhere. A property that would have been marvelous for people who were using it as their primary vacation destination was a disaster for their family dynamic.

I like POFQ for a moderate. It is compact and lovely, but Coronado SSPrings will often offer better discounts. It is larger but there is a lot to do.

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies yet, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything others have already said.
My parents are in their 70's. We went this past Easter (Mom 73, Dad 71), and while they are both relatively active and have no mobility issues, it was still a bit taxing for them. Mom was more game to keep going, but Dad has rheumatoid arthritis and is diabetic, and he just got worn out. He's also not into dealing with crowds, standing in lines, and just wandering around for hours on end like my mom and I tend to do, LOL. Some days, he simply headed back to the resort early, or stayed behind while we went to the parks.

In planning our next visit, I really wasn't sure Dad would want to come at all, but when I started researching renting DVC points, and the opportunity to stay at either a monorail resort or an Epcot-area resort became a real option, he started to perk up. Turns out, one of the things he had the most trouble with was the buses. Understandable, since they were packed nearly every time we rode them (this is Easter, remember), and we often wound up standing/holding on. So, his main request was that we stay somewhere that wouldn't require riding a bus. Obviously, Animal Kingdom always will, but he never went to AK because he just wasn't interested anyway, and we won't be going there at all on this next trip.

The other great thing about a resort with "non-bus" transportation that is very close to at least one park, is that should they get tired and want a break, they can easily get back to the hotel while everyone else stays in the park.

Renting DVC points is great because you're getting the convenience of a deluxe resort's location and amenities for a fraction of what it would cost from Disney. Is it still expensive? Yes. But it could make for a much more relaxing and enjoyable visit to WDW for everyone.

We're staying at the VGF when we go, but I think the Boardwalk is a great choice for a group with people who might want to hang back at the resort sometimes. There's more to explore and see at the Boardwalk, IMO, plus it has very reasonable rates through DVC.

Other than that, I would suggest trying to make a touring plan that flows and breaks up the day in segments that require as little sustained walking as possible. Don't zig-zag the parks trying to hit FP+ and ride as many rides as humanly possible within a given amount of time. You've got young children, so they're going to need frequent breaks and a great deal of patience and flexibility too.

And definitely get to the parks early. Don't rush. Let them enjoy the whole experience of the parks. If they've not been to WDW before, just entering the MK and making your way down Main St. can take awhile because there is so much to look at and explore.

I look at it this way. Odds are, you and your kids will return to Disney many times. This might be the only trip for the grandparents. So, let it be about them. Plan your schedule and touring style with the idea in the back of your head of making sure they have a wonderful time.

I agree that any of the Epcot resorts would be a fantastic plan for people who have diverse interests and who may need to split up or need some space to regroup. I had planned the BC so that soem members of my group woudl have the ability to just get away, yet have access to plenty of activities if they wanted them.

Yes, planning around the parents will be rewarding, I believe. It's funny, our first trip was going to be once and done. WE never were commando vacation people, but we did have a list of must do activities. Well, 11years later, we are still returning year after year, and every trip has a different objective. I would move Heaven and Earth to be able to plan a trip that concentrates on my Mom. If we never stepped foot into a park except to hop on the People Mover, take a spin on Spaceship Earth, and have braised pork in BOG, and pastry in France, it would be worth every penny

I think staying on site would be easier, because people could come and go as they please.

Since this isn't your first or last trip, I would try and accommodate. Maybe do more shows than roller coasters, spend some more time exploring your resort, plan some fun ADRs, and realize you might not do everything you usually do.

I grew up going to WDW with my immediate family and my grandmother. Some of my most fond childhood memories are the walks my grandmother and I would take to Old Port Royale at CBR to get muffins in the morning. Or how her and I would leave the parks early and spend extra time at the pool (she would splurge and buy me a Shirley Temple from the pool bar :)). I so treasure my memories of her and the times we spent at Disney. We weren't going anywhere fast or ripping through touring plans, but we spent some really special times there together.

People here on the DIS are very quick to suggest staying onsite. They forget that sometimes people just don't have unlimited funds and can't justify the cost. But in this instance, it really is a great suggestion. OP, I would be willing to negotiate a lot about how to spend the trip to allow the parents to come along. I think you could make some great family memories. But there is no way I would be glued to them 24/7 because you are offsite and have only one car. If you do stay offsite, I would absolutely insist on a second car, even if it means double the parking fees.

We have taken our last 5 trips over an 11 year period with my in laws. All on site except for the last one. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The first 2 trips included my FIL who passed away suddenly after the second trip. The first time they went with us no scooters but MIL is very mobility limited (back surgeries and knee replacements) they sat a lot helped with out with our 3 kiddos (who were infants/toddlers) at the time. We enjoyed the family rides together and they took lots of breaks but generally were with us or at least in the same park.
Our 3rd trip which was only MIL, DH and I decided she needed a scooter. Best money we ever spent! She loved it. She could keep up with us yet if she didn't want to keep rolling she could find some shade always had a seat and was more than willing to wait with one of the kiddos if need be. The worst part of course is busses. You must have patience for dealing with that aspect. We rented a car on one of our trips and so we ended up hauling the scooter to the parks ourselves but you must have patience and a lot of muscles for that as well. DH was great in dealing with the scooter and we found that hauling it ourselves beat bussing the scooter by far for us.
Last trip with MIL we stayed off property (kids now older wanted private pool) we rented and hauled the scooter. One day we did 12 hrs at Epcot no, breaks back to our house. Again worked great for us but it was definitley work to haul it. MIL now pushing 80 and we are going in a few days and she isn't going. I am sad but I think she knows her limits, even with a scooter. It's a lot to keep up and keep going. Again now I have teenagers and we go commando through the parks.
I think if your parents are worried about walking and lines a scooter is a must. Just wanted to give you some thoughts about how our trips with grandparents have evolved over 11 years.... Something to think about and all completely different.
Good luck. I do hope you make it work for them to go. Be realistic and you won't regret it!

People here on the DIS are very quick to suggest staying onsite. They forget that sometimes people just don't have unlimited funds and can't justify the cost. But in this instance, it really is a great suggestion. OP, I would be willing to negotiate a lot about how to spend the trip to allow the parents to come along. I think you could make some great family memories. But there is no way I would be glued to them 24/7 because you are offsite and have only one car. If you do stay offsite, I would absolutely insist on a second car, even if it means double the parking fees.

Yes, and once you add the additional car rental and parking fees you may end up spending more than 2 rooms or a villa onsite. I think this is one time that a good solid spreadsheet for budgeting and a frank and honest evaluation of reasonable expectations really is necessary. I tried to discuss logistics with my DSis and her DH but she was so fixated on the timeshare property being the best financial decision that the conversation fell on deaf ears. That trip was a disaster from start to finish. She had discussed going again as extended family but continues to insist her timeshare be used. I agree it may work for her, but I refuse to coral that many people, manage travel to and from the parks, and herd them as a group.

I think cost vs value vs time is a discussion that should take place.

Yes, and once you add the additional car rental and parking fees you may end up spending more than 2 rooms or a villa onsite. I think this is one time that a good solid spreadsheet for budgeting and a frank and honest evaluation of reasonable expectations really is necessary. I tried to discuss logistics with my DSis and her DH but she was so fixated on the timeshare property being the best financial decision that the conversation fell on deaf ears. That trip was a disaster from start to finish. She had discussed going again as extended family but continues to insist her timeshare be used. I agree it may work for her, but I refuse to coral that many people, manage travel to and from the parks, and herd them as a group.

I think cost vs value vs time is a discussion that should take place.

Maybe I have overestimated the price of 2 rooms at Disney or the price of a villa? I don't think a car rental and extra parking would make it even close. If someone has a timeshare available, it's an even better deal.

But I do know this. There is zero chance I would be going to Disney in one car every day with a larger group. I have a friend who does that just with her immediate family. And the late sleepers dictate their pace. She wants to do rope drop but they never make it until much later. It would annoy me to no end.

That said, I would still try to find a way to go with the grandparents. I would just control a few variables (like transportation).

Maybe I have overestimated the price of 2 rooms at Disney or the price of a villa? I don't think a car rental and extra parking would make it even close. If someone has a timeshare available, it's an even better deal.

But I do know this. There is zero chance I would be going to Disney in one car every day with a larger group. I have a friend who does that just with her immediate family. And the late sleepers dictate their pace. She wants to do rope drop but they never make it until much later. It would annoy me to no end.

That said, I would still try to find a way to go with the grandparents. I would just control a few variables (like transportation).

I don't know exactly but I think the cost of two vehicles will be at least 300 each for a week, with gas. Add $30 per day for parking and you are adding up.

I agree about herding everyone out and back. I would not do it. In our case, traveling with my sister would be a nightmare in regards to getting out. She works nights, her clock can't just change. She's pokey, I'm not. No one would be happy.

Make it happen. We did 5 days in the parks, and a 3 night DCL with my parents, with our 5 kids, and it was amazing. My dad had mobility issues, so we rented a scooter in each park (so we didn't have to deal with it on the buses). We rented points and got a dvc villa at the beach club. We split up many times, including the children. My mom passed suddenly a year ago - those memories are priceless!

We do it like this. If the elderly that go with us cannot drive in FL we stay on-site. Usually we will stay at the Contemporary and we purchase only 1 day tickets for them. They are happy with just one day of the parks and we are willing to slow down for one day. They don't stay the whole day anyway. The other days we go to the parks and they ride the boats and go to downtown disney. If your parents are able and have a car staying off-site should be fine with everyone doing their own thing after doing stuff together. Life is short, try to make it work with your parents.

I have no idea what the answers are. But, I wanted to say this thread is lovely. How lovely to spend holidays with multigenerational family and have a good time.
We could never do this, and it is sad.
Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your family.

I have no idea what the answers are. But, I wanted to say this thread is lovely. How lovely to spend holidays with multigenerational family and have a good time.
We could never do this, and it is sad.
Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your family.

I think that if it is possible the rewards far outweigh the compromises that are made. Not everyone has family members who will agree to those compromises, or who can make the trip become a kind of family reunion at Disney rather than a Disney vacation. I think it all comes down to mutual respect.

WE are traveling to my niece's wedding next July. The resort is lovely and because her wedding day is on a Tuesday we will be able to take advantage of a substancial discount thru Thursday, enabling many of us to turn it into a mini vacation. My sister and her ex had one of the worst divorces ever and his family was all in for blood, so this is going to be tricky. These kids never even wanted to consider what a wedding would be like, but after discovering that we all love them more that we we want to continue family feuding, they relaxed some. But this will be longer than a day and back home again, so my own family is taking preemptive action. WE have rented a guest house on the property. This will enable us to be there for all the activities, be able to enjoy the festivities but get the heck out of Dodge if need be, and still make sure my nieces and nephews are comfortable.

However....I have made sure I called my oldest son to let him know what we did, and to tell him that if he chooses not to stay with the rest of our crew he needs to get on the phone ASAP and book a room or cabin for himself and his wife. You see, even within nuclear families, there needs to be an acknowledgement about how folks like to roll. The house has 4 bedrooms, but that may not be enough "away for the family time" for my DS and DDIL. I love all my children but I know that he and his wife will not do well with all of us for several days, and while I made sure there was enough room, I do not want to deal with individual issues. Therefore I dumped the responsibility to be sure they are comfortable and well equipped to get away from the crowd on them. WE will see how that pans out.

Your parents are in their late seventies and have mobility issues already. You don't know if they will be able to go again as they get older and become even less mobile. Enjoy your time in the parks with them while you can. I would stay on property to give them transportation if they tire and want to go back to the hotel. We like the Swan because we get a great location at much better prices than the adjacent Disney hotels. The family alcove rooms are particularly nice. They can use the Disney bus system or catch a cab. We're taking my 83 year old mom after Thanksgiving and while she is very mobile, she is slowing down. We will do the parks differently this time and spend more time at shows and doing two table service meals a day as a break. I don't think she will need or want a wheelchair but we'll play it by ear. The time you spend with your parents and the time they spend with their grandchildren now is precious. Don't regret your decision later on when you might not have another chance to do this. I don't mean to sound negative, but we just lost our best friend and will bury him on Monday. He was only 61 and we're already thinking about things we all planned to do and will not have the chance now.

When my mom went the last time I knew she would need to stay close and she would need a scooter. Dh and I decieded to save face for everyone we got her a room at baylake towers with our DVD points and paid for a scooter to be delivered. I got the smallest one (mom was very small) and one with a basket ... mom really felt like she was helping by carrying the coats or whatever we needed. I also NEVER took a photo of her on the scooter.
It did turn out to be her last visit but it was a GREAT trip.

When my mom went the last time I knew she would need to stay close and she would need a scooter. Dh and I decieded to save face for everyone we got her a room at baylake towers with our DVD points and paid for a scooter to be delivered. I got the smallest one (mom was very small) and one with a basket ... mom really felt like she was helping by carrying the coats or whatever we needed. I also NEVER took a photo of her on the scooter.
It did turn out to be her last visit but it was a GREAT trip.
My mom was only 68 but she passed six months later so I really enjoyed that New Year's Eve !!!!!

Onsite is generally easier because of the transportation that is available. I realize that your budget does not include the deluxe resorts but I would consider a moderate if possible. THe discounts will sometimes bring the total cost down so you can justify the cost. They do offer a few more amenities that the grandparents can enjoy if the rest of the crew is still off and running. When you look at costs, factor in transportation costs if you need to rent a car, as well as parking fees at the parks. Of course your food may be less because offsite often allows for more choices for meals.

Someone else also suggested DVC rental and that woudl be my choice, if possible. The DVC resorts are pretty darn nice, offer a lot of amenities that the values do not, and have more living space for the family. I have not done this, but others here have a lot of experience.

One thing I will say is that when you choose your lodgings, make sure that the grounds, if offsite are manageable for your grands. My sister and her husband took his Mom, and stayed at their time share. His mom was not up to the parks, and they had no experience with Disney, so their decisions were not wall thought out, The time share property was enormous, the distance to the pool alone was more than the poor woman could manage, so my DS and DBIL had to time their park plans around her so she was not stranded anywhere. A property that would have been marvelous for people who were using it as their primary vacation destination was a disaster for their family dynamic.

I like POFQ for a moderate. It is compact and lovely, but Coronado SSPrings will often offer better discounts. It is larger but there is a lot to do.

Thank u for this. I have to admit - cost was a big consideration since we are paying for our family AND my brother and his family.

That said, I mulled over what you said, discussed it with my husband, and we are now seriously considering upgrading to a mod. I just asked my TA to look to see what is available. I believe it will cost me an extra $1500++ or so (for both rooms). More than we wanted to spend on this trip - but both DH and I are very tempted to splurge.

The grandparents will be a lot more comfortable. With them AND a 3.5yr old, we will be spending a lot more time than usual at the resort. Plus, when they go back to chill, they will have a more relaxing place with more amenities. As the cherry on top, this will switch us from QSDP to DDP - and my DH really enjoys that. 14 days of TS credits will be an insane amount of food!! It will really give the family a full immersion in the WDW experience we enjoy so much.

We won't be able to do POFQ (using a free dining BB offer) so I am hopeful for POR.

Ugh....the ole "I want to go to DW with you but I don't want to walk or stand in lines." :scared:

Lots of great advice here.

Good luck. I know these talks can possibly get tough and filled with emotion.

Thank u for this. I have to admit - cost was a big consideration since we are paying for our family AND my brother and his family.

That said, I mulled over what you said, discussed it with my husband, and we are now seriously considering upgrading to a mod. I just asked my TA to look to see what is available. I believe it will cost me an extra $1500++ or so (for both rooms). More than we wanted to spend on this trip - but both DH and I are very tempted to splurge.

The grandparents will be a lot more comfortable. With them AND a 3.5yr old, we will be spending a lot more time than usual at the resort. Plus, when they go back to chill, they will have a more relaxing place with more amenities. As the cherry on top, this will switch us from QSDP to DDP - and my DH really enjoys that. 14 days of TS credits will be an insane amount of food!! It will really give the family a full immersion in the WDW experience we enjoy so much.

We won't be able to do POFQ (using a free dining BB offer) so I am hopeful for POR.

I like POFQ, but POR is lovely. I like that there is a TS restaurant as well. Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter