Help! Counter Service with Healthy options.

suzimom23

Earning My Ears
I am trying to make healthier choices, but also have 3 sweet but picky kiddos with me. This is our first trip to Disney without the dining plan.

I am looking for the best counter service locations for a relatively healthy but also tasty meal at each park.

Have you checked out the menus for the various locations: http://allears.net/dining/location.

I would start there since "picky" means different things to different people. Same can go for healthy since some people think a salad automatically equals healthy, but depending on what is in that salad sometimes a burger might have less calories.

There are quite a few kiosk that sell fruit and vegetables that you could also get. There are times when I will get just a sandwich item from a counter service and then add a vegetable or fruit from a kiosk.

Columbia Harbor House with the salmon and broccoli. That's one I can think of off the top of my head

Thanks! I'll check out all ears. I have used it in the past for menus. I guess what I am really looking for are options that serve grilled chicken/meat without sauce and fresh fruit and veggies while also having choices for the littles.

MK- Cosmic Rays has a ton of choices for everyone. Salads, roasted chicken, grilled chicken sandwhiches, along with your regular counter service.
Epcoy- Sunshine Seasons has a lovely healthy selection. There are also many choices to eat around the world showcase which will have healthier options too.
DHC-Starring Rolls has turkey and ham sandwhiches. They are freshly made and pretty tasty.
AK-Pizzafari has salads.
Not a park but DTD Wolfgang Puck express has so many wonderful fresh choices. Earl Of Sandwhiches has lovely salads too.

In addition to what is posted above...

Boardwalk bakery has a delicious grilled chicken salad that I love. But there's an entire case of desserts to tempt you as well!

Tangierine cafe is good for hummus, grilled chicken, tabouleh.

interesting that there are so few places that fit the bill, isn't it? I struggled with this on our last trip due to garlic and onion allergies - most EVERYTHING is seasoned with one or both (was able to eat at Columbia Harbor House, Japan QS in Epcot, and Sunshine Seasons. Hollywood Studios was the worst - couldn't find anything other than a fruit cup. AK was a little tough too, but found some chicken and rice at Yak & Yeti QS.

At MK, what about Pecos Bills? They have mac and cheese and uncrustables for picky kids. I think my picky eater had a cheese quesadilla here, not sure if you can still get that or not. I really liked the salads and since you add toppings yourself, you can minimize the less healthy stuff. Some of the best counter service options are at the resorts outside of MK - love Contempo Cafe and Captain Cooks. In Epcot we have eaten at Liberty Inn (I know so many great choices, but my picky one picked this place). They have more options now and the salads and grilled chicken sandwich were pretty good. I also like going over to Boardwalk Bakery for sandwiches/salads. I've gotten my picky guy pizza at the take out window right nearby. HS is the tough one for us. We usually eat at Fairfax Fare/Rosie's for the BBQ and chicken nuggets for my picky guy. At AK, my picky guy ate at Starbucks (he loves the bacon gouda breakfast sandwich)! The rest of us split the hummus/veggies, cheese and fruit, and some fresh fruit. It was way too hot to eat a normal meal there.

I often order of the kids menu to make it "healthier". The serving size is smaller and it comes with choice of two sides which are things like carrots, apples, grapes, small yogurt, or apple sauce. I look for places with grilled wraps, salads, turkey sandwich, etc. as entrees on the kids menu.

At MK, what about Pecos Bills? They have mac and cheese and uncrustables for picky kids. I think my picky eater had a cheese quesadilla here, not sure if you can still get that or not. I really liked the salads and since you add toppings yourself, you can minimize the less healthy stuff. Some of the best counter service options are at the resorts outside of MK - love Contempo Cafe and Captain Cooks. In Epcot we have eaten at Liberty Inn (I know so many great choices, but my picky one picked this place). They have more options now and the salads and grilled chicken sandwich were pretty good. I also like going over to Boardwalk Bakery for sandwiches/salads. I've gotten my picky guy pizza at the take out window right nearby. HS is the tough one for us. We usually eat at Fairfax Fare/Rosie's for the BBQ and chicken nuggets for my picky guy. At AK, my picky guy ate at Starbucks (he loves the bacon gouda breakfast sandwich)! The rest of us split the hummus/veggies, cheese and fruit, and some fresh fruit. It was way too hot to eat a normal meal there.

I often order of the kids menu to make it "healthier". The serving size is smaller and it comes with choice of two sides which are things like carrots, apples, grapes, small yogurt, or apple sauce. I look for places with grilled wraps, salads, turkey sandwich, etc. as entrees on the kids menu.
The new menu looks horrible to me =(

interesting that there are so few places that fit the bill, isn't it? I struggled with this on our last trip due to garlic and onion allergies - most EVERYTHING is seasoned with one or both (was able to eat at Columbia Harbor House, Japan QS in Epcot, and Sunshine Seasons. Hollywood Studios was the worst - couldn't find anything other than a fruit cup. AK was a little tough too, but found some chicken and rice at Yak & Yeti QS.

Did you tell the people at the counter about your allergy? They have special menus for people with alllergies. Even at the counter service.

There is a ton of healthy counter service all over WDW. I can't even list them all. You really need to look at the menus yourself. You can eat at a different CS every day for a month at WDW and never eat a burger, a pizza or a chicken finger.

Did you tell the people at the counter about your allergy? They have special menus for people with alllergies. Even at the counter service.

There is a ton of healthy counter service all over WDW. I can't even list them all. You really need to look at the menus yourself. You can eat at a different CS every day for a month at WDW and never eat a burger, a pizza or a chicken finger.

Wow, I find your comment insulting and condescending. Of course I ask at every restaurant for suitable options - otherwise I'd be in the hospital! Believe me it's not a common allergy and most fast food contains those ingredients, which makes dining difficult.
There are healthy options, yes, but IMHO there aren't "tons". Perhaps the key here is one's definition of 'healthy'.

op I can see the reason pp asked about telling staff about allergies as I have a friend who would rather guess than "bother the staff by asking" and yes it has caused a few trips to hospital for her. so please see the asking could be out of making sure you are asking as not everyone in your situation does ask

op I can see the reason pp asked about telling staff about allergies as I have a friend who would rather guess than "bother the staff by asking" and yes it has caused a few trips to hospital for her. so please see the asking could be out of making sure you are asking as not everyone in your situation does ask

Yes I was asking to be helpful not to be sarcastic. I understand that tone does not always come over correctly on a message board.

I am glad that you are knowledgeable enough to ask at the CS locations, but there are people not at park savy as you, that is why I asked. I had no way of knowing the level of your park knowledge without asking

Last edited:
As for the "ton" of healthy CS options...I stand by that.

Rotisserie chicken, salads, wraps, salmon, sushi, sandwiches, Shwarma, soups, stews, baked potatoes, grilled and roasted meats, fruit plates, steak, teriyaki, quinoa, and much more

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter