Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's now been 48 hours since we had are first Pfizer shot.

No side effects for my wife.

I had a mildly sore arm for about a day. (I get the flu vaccine every year and sometimes get the same sore arm after that.)

A bit less than 3 weeks till our next shot.

All this talk about the side effects from the shingles vaccine makes me worried to get it. I have several years before I an old enough to get it and I will when that time comes. I had shingles when I was 29 and don't wish to have it again.

J&J is not made like our traditional childhood vaccines either. Read up on it.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is based on the virus’s genetic instructions for building the spike protein. But unlike the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which store the instructions in single-stranded RNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses double-stranded DNA.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html

This is a very interesting video on J & J-- Was very happy with the one-dose, and my side effects were basically nil-

All this talk about the side effects from the shingles vaccine makes me worried to get it. I have several years before I an old enough to get it and I will when that time comes. I had shingles when I was 29 and don't wish to have it again.
I had both Shingrix shots about a year ago. No side effects other than a slightly achy arm for a day or so from either shot

I had both Shingrix shots about a year ago. No side effects other than a slightly achy arm for a day or so from either shot

I had them both a couple of years ago.....2019, maybe. Second shot made my arm really sore.
And when I got the older singles one on the same day as a pneumonia one.....different arms. I couldn't lay on either one. They both made for very sore arms.
So the Pfizer was a breeze!!

Got the first Moderna vaccine yesterday. My arm is pretty sore, but until a few hours ago that was it. (I had COVID in November) A few hours ago, I had significant lower GI issues which could be a side effect, but also could have been related to other medication I'm taking or poor food choices. The severity of the issues was greater than I typically get from poor food choices. I've also had a runny nose since I got the vaccine. I'm chalking that up to seasonal allergies.

My husband and both had bad side effects with the Shingrix shot. We both felt terrible for a couple days and our arms were very sore. I got a huge welt on my arm both times. So far our first shot of the Moderna vaccine is nothing compared to the Shingrix shot. That being said the side effects of Shingrix are far better than getting shingles.

I am scheduled for my 2nd Moderna this Friday. But last night I started having sinus pressure and stopped up ears causing dizziness. My doctor said I can still get the vaccine as scheduled but the pharmacy where I am scheduled said that I can't get it if I am on antibiotics (I am). I guess I am going to try and reschedule it. Has anyone else gotten sick right before scheduled?

I got my first does of Pfizer on Friday! After I got the shot, I completely forgot about it until I went to shower the next morning and came across the Bandaid. I had zero side effects, not even a mildly sore arm. I'm ready for these next two and a half weeks to speed by so I can get number two!

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking here rather than starting an entirely new thread. From what I hear, starting next week in my state all adults are eligible and teens aged 16 and 17 with a parent's approval. A vaccinated friend told me she is NOT getting her teen son vaccinated. She says she's fine taking the slight risk herself but not with making that decision for her child. I'm planning on getting my 17-year-old daughter vaccinated. Would anyone else hesitate to do this?

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking here rather than starting an entirely new thread. From what I hear, starting next week in my state all adults are eligible and teens aged 16 and 17 with a parent's approval. A vaccinated friend told me she is NOT getting her teen son vaccinated. She says she's fine taking the slight risk herself but not with making that decision for her child. I'm planning on getting my 17-year-old daughter vaccinated. Would anyone else hesitate to do this?

I would let them decide for themself, they are old enough.....but I would strongly encourage it

I wouldn't hesitate. My "kids" are now in their 20s but I would have raced to get them the vaccine.

Local news: https://fox4kc.com/tracking-coronav...ccinate-hundreds-more-kansas-city-area-teens/ "At least 400 Pfizer doses are ready for youth ages 16 to 21 at each of three vaccine clinics through Children’s Mercy in April."

From Children's Mercy's press release:
https://www.childrensmercy.org/covid-vaccine/
April 1, 2 – 8 p.m.
Adele Hall Campus

The clinic will be open to individuals who are 16 up to 22 years old, Missouri residents and meet 1 of these 2 criteria:
  • Identify as a member of a racial/ethnic minority.
  • Diagnosed with a chronic disease:
    • Cancer.
    • Chronic kidney disease.
    • COPD.
    • Heart conditions.
    • Weakened immune system due to organ transplant.
    • Severe obesity (BMI >40).
    • Sickle cell disease.
    • Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
    • Individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities such as Down syndrome.
April 3, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Children’s Mercy Hospital Kansas

This clinic will be open to individuals who are 16 up to 22 years old and Kansas residents.

April 10, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Adele Hall Campus

This clinic will be open to individuals who are 16 up to 22 years old and Missouri residents.

This should help out more because of only having 1 vaccine available to those 16-17. Plus it also means the age group doesn't have to compete with appointments with others and vice versa.

My 17 year old is vaccinated (qualified with work). It was ultimately her decision, but she knew how we felt about and realized what she’d be giving up if she didn’t get it. So she’s known since it got approval that she wanted it.

That's an interesting spot the teen is put in. There was a thread about this just recently about a 17 year old who would be 18 in September. Some posters were adamant that their teen would get it no ifs ands or buts (understandable to a point) but others said they would give the older teen the choice. With the shoe on the other foot where the parent is not wanting the teen to get it instead of making the teen get it...makes the whole "give the older teen the choice" a completely different tone..

FWIW I'd let the teen decide. Maybe that parent will sign off on allowing the teen to get it but just doesn't want to make them do it? I hope that's the situation instead of the parent just flat out not allowing their teen to get it if they want it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter