Have you ever been warned about alligators at Disney?

HeyKoolaid

Mermaid off the port bow!
This tragic incident has made me think back to any warning we have been given at Disney - or "could it have happened to my family". Obviously, everyone knows that gators are a part of Florida, life, but many feel like they are in a "bubble" of security while on Disney property. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge, precisely because it is right on the lake. I remember asking a CM at the dock why swimming was not permitted in the lake. The CM replied that there were creatures, including "Water Moccasins" (venomous snakes) in the water. That was enough to tell me I wouldn't be putting a toe in the water, but we regularly rent Sea Raycers and go out on the water. I will be watching to see how Disney reacts to recent events. I am so very sorry for this family.

I had no idea until I started listening to the DIS Unplugged ... For a long time, Pete ended the show with "Stay out of the damn lakes," (still does occasionally) and I didn't understand what it meant. So I Googled the phrase and found a few threads explaining the dangers of Florida waters.

Before that, I knew there were alligators in Florida, but I assumed Disney would somehow keep them off their property ... I was totally clueless.

I should add that I sympathize with the parents because that could have my child if I hadn't looked up Pete's catch phrase. I can't even imagine how they're feeling.

Truly a horrific tragedy. I can't even imagine being in the position to the family :( I have a nephew who will be born in a few weeks, and it hits home. My thoughts are with the little boy and his loved ones.

I've lived in Florida since I was 8 years old. I was taught by my own teachers in school that you should be cautious of alligators in every body of water-- even swimming pools. I know that to run in zig zag if an Alligator chases you (they literally taught us that in public school). Before Disney, there was the Everglades. You can't knock down the Everglades and assume that all the wildlife will pack up and move, it's not feasible. I know about water moccasins and brain eating amoebas, and sea lice. I have been personally stung by a Jellyfish. Again, I live in Florida. All grown up, I am also a nurse and safety is a big deal. That is why I know all of this. There's still so many "Florida" things I don't know because I'm from NYC and raised by New Yorkers. So I understand how many do not know. The Florida jokes are true. There are over a million gators in Florida.

Consider yourself warned. If you can't see the bottom of a body of water, assume there is a gator in there. That said, we regularly (read:every time we go in a natural body of water) swim, ski, tube, boat with alligators in Florida. All. The. Time. Gator attacks are so uncommon. They are much much less common than drowning. But they are immensely tragic when they do occur, partly because of their rarity and partly because there is sometimes no one to blame. I will say, if you aren't worried about drowning to the point that you won't go in water, then you shouldn't be worried about gators. Just take precautions, as you do with any other danger in life. And definitely stay out of the water at night.

Consider yourself warned. If you can't see the bottom of a body of water, assume there is a gator in there. That said, we regularly (read:every time we go in a natural body of water) swim, ski, tube, boat with alligators in Florida. All. The. Time. Gator attacks are so uncommon. They are much much less common than drowning. But they are immensely tragic when they do occur, partly because of their rarity and partly because there is sometimes no one to blame. I will say, if you aren't worried about drowning to the point that you won't go in water, then you shouldn't be worried about gators. Just take precautions, as you do with any other danger in life. And definitely stay out of the water at night.

I am seeing your posts everywhere the last few hours since last night. I appreciate how you keep saying to JUST STAY OUT OF THE WATER! All water. And hitting them in eye is a strategy to try to remember. I live in an area that does not have alligators. I knew Florida had them but I don't know how to deal with them. So maybe you should make a post in the tips section that could be a how to deal with alligators and what to expect. I think nonflorida/ nonalligator people would like it.

I've only been to WDW 3 times, but I've seen gators every time we've been there on Disney property. I don't know how you could go to Florida and not know that they are there and you should be careful. If there is a sign that says "don't go in the water", I'm following it even if I don't know why. It must be there for a reason. And this is coming from a suburban-dwelling southern Californian. We have rattlesnakes all over the place, don't most places have some kind of wildlife that lived there before the humans moved in and is still fighting for their turf? Maybe it's because we really don't have any bodies of water here so I'm not used to be able to just jump in any old pond? It would never cross my mind to go in any kind of water except a pool or the ocean, and there are plenty of dangers there to be on the lookout for also.

Warned? No. But I've heard stories of them being removed from property frequently. And we do have the knowledge that WDW was built on swampland.

While I have never seen one on property, yes people have said to me don't go in the lagoon or any body of water in the area. I was told by friends and have read enough to know that alligators are everywhere in FL. Don't assume because you are in Disney that the alligators don't exist. Such a sad accident.

Not on Disney property, but I remember in high school we stayed in an off sight hotel and the gardens (no bodies of water) all had signs that warned about alligators. The staff said they found them there occasionally. No attacks, as alligators just don't do that often. (They tend to hunt only at night, and typically don't go for humans.)

I had no idea until I started listening to the DIS Unplugged ... For a long time, Pete ended the show with "Stay out of the damn lakes," (still does occasionally) and I didn't understand what it meant. So I Googled the phrase and found a few threads explaining the dangers of Florida waters.

Before that, I knew there were alligators in Florida, but I assumed Disney would somehow keep them off their property ... I was totally clueless.

I think many people, especially non-natives of Florida, would assume the same thing. It's good that he ended his shows with a great safety tip that people might not think of.

We were at Disney end of May this year. On a boat ride from magic kingdom to GF. The boat captain said that they were looking for a gator that they could not find.

Heart goes out to the family

We were never exclusively warned but having family that lives in southeastern Texas I was well aware of the "assume there are gators in all bodies of water" advice. It is just a good idea to always do your research of any place you are visiting. Do not just research the restaurants and fun things to do. I live in Wyoming and we have had similar issues with people not researching the dangers of Yellowstone and just assuming that because it is a "park" that it is safe. This whole situation is just heartbreaking. I just hope that this tragedy may cause people to be more aware of things that can happen. Prayers to this family :(

Never - I was cautious of them though after spending a night in the Everglades *shudder* - that night still haunts me. And because of that night I didn't accept the "leave them alone they'll leave you alone etc etc etc". There they have big signs along the road saying if you break down, don't even get out of your car, stay and wait and patrol will find you because of alligators in the ditches (and panthers, nevermind the snakes and bugs and yuck).

Side note - they have recently found Nile crocodiles in the Everglades too o_O

I'll be honest that my main avoiding of fresh water has and always will be the brain eating aemeoba.

Obviously, everyone knows that gators are a part of Florida, life, but many feel like they are in a "bubble" of security while on Disney property

I've read so many similar commentsthis week almost identical to this, and all I can do is shake my head in wonder. How can seemingly intelligent people be that naive or uninformed? How can anyone rationally think that while no one else in Florida has been able to keep their property free from dangerous wildlife, Disney would without question have the magical solution ( and keep the solution to themselves)?

I was taught about alligators in Florida in school. And I live in Canada, for crying out loud. I knew, before my first trip to WDW in 1975 that a large percentage of WDW was swampland that was dedicated as a wildlife preservation area. I've seen gators on property every single time I've visited. I didn't need explicit warnings. But apparently some people need to be reminded that WDW actually exists in the REAL world.

We were taking a water taxi at Disney last year. We were going past The Grand Floridian Resort. I was looking at the beach area and I said to my wife "What is to prevent an alligator from walking up on that beach?"
Less than a year later that horrible thing has happened. We had been told by an employee at one of the local gator parks that anywhere there is water, you can bet that an alligator is there. Gators find a way. Very sad for the family that has lost their child. Very very tragic.

living in FL all my life I was taught that if there is water there are gators I was also taught to run like you never ran if you see one and if one gets you to hit then in the eye or the tip of the noise as these two places are the most sensitive places but in reality you can just kiss your life away if one dose get you.

In all reality deaths from gators are not that common it was on my local news the other day how many but when it is your love one someone you know 1 can be way too many.

This tragic incident has made me think back to any warning we have been given at Disney - or "could it have happened to my family". Obviously, everyone knows that gators are a part of Florida, life, but many feel like they are in a "bubble" of security while on Disney property. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge, precisely because it is right on the lake. I remember asking a CM at the dock why swimming was not permitted in the lake. The CM replied that there were creatures, including "Water Moccasins" (venomous snakes) in the water. That was enough to tell me I wouldn't be putting a toe in the water, but we regularly rent Sea Raycers and go out on the water. I will be watching to see how Disney reacts to recent events. I am so very sorry for this family.
I never knew until the recent tragedy. I was especially upset to read about the 1986 Fort Wilderness attack that occurred near a ditch (far from the lake), because when we tent camped there last year, our site backed up to a watery ditch, & I'd let my then 10 year-old son go to the bathroom at night on his own. No heads-up or warning about gators- nothing. Never again.

We should have been warned. I hope they warn families at Fort Wilderness now.

Last edited:
I never knew until the recent tragedy. I was especially upset to read about the 1986 Fort Wilderness attack that occurred near a ditch (far from the lake), because we tent camped there last year, our site backed up to a watery ditch, & I'd let my then 10 year-old son go to the bathroom at night on his own. No heads-up or warning about gators- nothing. Never again.

We should have been warned. I hope they warn families at Fort Wilderness now.
I feel the same way. It's disheartening that it took this event to finally put up accurate signs and a visual barrier. I was aware of alligators in the area but I guess I failed because I never researched local wildlife nocturnal behavior. From what I've learned the poor boy could've been 1-2 feet away from the water's edge throwing stones in the water and the same outcome could've happened. No swimming was too vague....considering WDW caters to guests all around the world when even Americans are divided on the meaning of no swimming in this incident's case. I'm still, of course, going to visit WDW and I wouldn't want to see character alligators being permanently removed from rides/parades, but thinking outside the box (not just "me") I'm glad the signs and barriers are put in place for the benefits of other families' safety.

I stay at Shades of Green which is on Disney Property but not owned by Disney. There are signs warning of alligators near all bodies of water. The bus drivers will frequently point out alligators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter