• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you booked an ABD for 2017?

The Scotland ABD was I how I broke my other half into ABD. He liked it so much that he was well on board for other ABD trips including the shorter ones. If I were in your shoes, living in the area and had already experienced everything on the itinerary I wouldn't choose an ABD trip that had nothing new to offer me. I'd say look into the Southern California one which should be a 5 - 6 hour drive from your area. I have heard that particular trip is one people will do multiple times. That way, you still won't need airfare and you are getting to experience something new.

We love ABD and I was very excited when one for Disney World was announced since we live in Florida and I wouldn't have to get airfare. When the itinerary came out it included many experiences that were similar to what we have already done with behind the scenes tours there. So, that particular ABD is not on our list. I do hope the re-vamp it, make it shorter and add experiences that aren't anything like those I've already had. Then we might book it. We did the San Francisco ABD and enjoyed it very much. That said, it isn't one that I would do again. We also did New York, and that one I would do again and the same goes for Scotland.

Now, if you are your other half are totally ok with doing things you've already done on your own and are willing to see what an ABD experience can be like then why the heck not. :tilt:

We have also done much of the BSM trip, as I have background with Disney. I know the trip no longer includes Club 33, but we have done that, too. Although I do think the value of that trip is one of the best offered by ABD.

We are still thinking about SF, and even if we have already done almost all of the things included, it would be nice to possibly have a different perspective. Ultimately, I will let him make the call. However, this is likely the only way I will break him into see what ABD is all about.

As a Bay Area resident, it would be very hard for me to justify the San Francisco trip. It has taken me several years to justify the Back Stage Magic trip, but we are going to do that next week! We are wrapping some other Hollywood sites/Universal along with it. My rationale for doing the BSM trip as a frequent DL visitor is to get all of the "back stage experience" and Imagineering. My husband and son have actually already toured the studios when my son interviewed a Disney employee for a school career project. I am going to try to do a "mini-trip report" on our trip focusing on the experience for a freuqent DL visitor.

If you did not want jump into one of the longer ABD trips, the NY long weekend is one that I could totally justify with all of the exclusive things you get to do.

What part of the bay area are you in? We are East Bay. :)

We have done NYC a few times, although not exclusive things. I doubt I could get him onboard with the added cost of air.

Believe it or not, even living here, neither of us have ever been to Alcatraz, and to my disappointment, it isn't offered on the ABD. However, if we do the SF trip, I would pre-book our trip to Alcatraz for the day the ABD ends.

We are still thinking about SF, and even if we have already done almost all of the things included, it would be nice to possibly have a different perspective. Ultimately, I will let him make the call. However, this is likely the only way I will break him into see what ABD is all about. And I would LOVE to be able to take longer/further trips. (If Egypt comes back, we both agree we would do that, even if it ended up being our first).

What part of the bay area are you in? We are East Bay. :)

We have done NYC a few times, although not exclusive things. I doubt I could get him onboard with the added cost of air.

Believe it or not, even living here, neither of us have ever been to Alcatraz, and to my disappointment, it isn't offered on the ABD. However, if we do the SF trip, I would pre-book our trip to Alcatraz for the day the ABD ends.

We are still thinking about SF, and even if we have already done almost all of the things included, it would be nice to possibly have a different perspective. Ultimately, I will let him make the call. However, this is likely the only way I will break him into see what ABD is all about. And I would LOVE to be able to take longer/further trips. (If Egypt comes back, we both agree we would do that, even if it ended up being our first).

We are also in the East Bay, but I worked in the City for 15 years, now I commute to the peninsula. DH and I are both Bay Area natives, but there are things we have never done. We are huge fans of ABD so if that is the only way to break him in, I say go for it. It is always nice to have a "stay-cation." Use your on-your-own time to do fun things in the City that you never have time for - there are tons of the museums that have been re-done that we have not been too. Always great places to eat and I could easily fill an afternoon at the Ferry Building. We are about to start Back Stage Magic and I will let you know how that goes as another no-airfare trip. However, if he is not a Disney Freak, this may not be the right one for him.

If it could possibly lead to future trips, and you're okay with seeing things you've already seen (and adding a few you haven't), then go for it. You may both end up loving it and then you can plan future trips. Plus, you'll be surrounded by others who will provide a new perspective, which would be fun. Good luck with the decision.

We live in LA and both of us had lived in SF. I've done a lot of things on both trips. The one I"m really interested in is the WDW adventure -- but it needs to be shorter and cheaper.

We are also in the East Bay, but I worked in the City for 15 years, now I commute to the peninsula. DH and I are both Bay Area natives, but there are things we have never done. We are huge fans of ABD so if that is the only way to break him in, I say go for it. It is always nice to have a "stay-cation." Use your on-your-own time to do fun things in the City that you never have time for - there are tons of the museums that have been re-done that we have not been too. Always great places to eat and I could easily fill an afternoon at the Ferry Building. We are about to start Back Stage Magic and I will let you know how that goes as another no-airfare trip. However, if he is not a Disney Freak, this may not be the right one for him.

Hi neighbor. So funny, I wonder how close we really are to each other?
Oh yes, there are a few things we have never done that we could do on the trip. And, we haven't been to the Walt Disney Family Museum since it opened. We have been wanting to go back!

If it could possibly lead to future trips, and you're okay with seeing things you've already seen (and adding a few you haven't), then go for it. You may both end up loving it and then you can plan future trips. Plus, you'll be surrounded by others who will provide a new perspective, which would be fun. Good luck with the decision.

I agree! I may call and place the hold over the weekend :)

Just booked the June 25th China departure for 2017! So excited .... Really hoping there are some young people for my 8 year old DD to enjoy the trip with!

Just booked the June 25th China departure for 2017! So excited .... Really hoping there are some young people for my 8 year old DD to enjoy the trip with!
If you call ABD and ask, they'll tell you the age breakdown of who has signed up for your trip.

Sayhello

Torn between England/France for June 2017 vs. San Fran June 2017. I have done BSM and loved it! Doing NYC next month! The 2017 trip is for DD highschool graduation and the whole unrest terrorism thing weighs on me. I wish it wouldn't. I am just sort of an anxious person to start with. I really wanted an overseas trip as we planned that for DD for several years and now I feel so up in the air.......Thoughts? I can add on San Diego and Disneyland ourselves to the SF ABD to extend the trip....

Torn between England/France for June 2017 vs. San Fran June 2017. I have done BSM and loved it! Doing NYC next month! The 2017 trip is for DD highschool graduation and the whole unrest terrorism thing weighs on me. I wish it wouldn't. I am just sort of an anxious person to start with. I really wanted an overseas trip as we planned that for DD for several years and now I feel so up in the air.......Thoughts? I can add on San Diego and Disneyland ourselves to the SF ABD to extend the trip....

Our thoughts are simply not to allow fear of what could happen overseas prevent us from traveling. All of it can easily happen here too. The gunman that massacred people in Orlando last month also scouted Disney Springs as a potential target. Statistically speaking I'm more likely to get shot in a mass shooting here in the United States than bombed in an act of terror in Europe. Still, I go to work everyday and live my life not worrying about whether or not I wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time during the next mass shooting. My advice, go on the trip you planned for England/France with your DD and have a great time making awesome memories. Those are my thoughts.

I am not trying to discount your fear but the worst terrorist attack in History occurred right here on US soil. So go to Europe or don't but don't let fear make the decision for you

While we're not doing ABD this year, we are definitely doing an adventure with them next year. We've already booked the Montana/Canada trip.

Anyone else here who has already booked their ABD for 2017?

I think I am going to book my first ever ABD trip for 2017! But I am torn between Montana and Alaska =X

for 2017 - we are toying with SF long weekend in combo with Disney Florida or BSM. I see where a lot of you way BSM is really worth it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter