Have you booked an ABD for 2017?

We are doing our first ABD in 2017, the BSM in February. This is also our first time traveling with a tour group. We have pretty much been against organized tours in the past. We always felt that we wanted to be on our own schedule and make sure we saw what we wanted to see. But the appeal of the BSM places that we can't see on our own is what drew us into this tour. We'll see how this one goes and then if we love it, we'll look into more. Part of the fun in a trip for me is the planning, so it is going to be very strange to show up at the airport and have everything taken care of. I guess we will still look into some options for any downtime in Hollywood. Ironically we are doing a tour for CA yet we are doing China on our own in 2017.

I highly recommend abd(just did my first one this past month).

I am Considering either Ireland, knights and lights or South Africa in the summer for abd #2. Also might do the San Fran weekend at some point as a weekend trip

We just got back from our Central Europe ABD 2 days ago. I can confidently say that it will be our LAST ABD. We had some issues that were quite major in our books that have totally turned us off ever travelling with ABD again. Not worth the headache (literally). Only thing that saved our trip for us was ditching our tour group in Salzburg and Vienna and doing our own thing.

We just got back from our Central Europe ABD 2 days ago. I can confidently say that it will be our LAST ABD. We had some issues that were quite major in our books that have totally turned us off ever travelling with ABD again. Not worth the headache (literally). Only thing that saved our trip for us was ditching our tour group in Salzburg and Vienna and doing our own thing.

Oh no! I'm so sorry that you had a rough trip! Any details you'd be comfortable sharing, for those of us still considering booking!
Sorry again!

Oh no! I'm so sorry that you had a rough trip! Any details you'd be comfortable sharing, for those of us still considering booking!
Sorry again!

I'm sure some people will think these are minor issues but to us they were pretty major.

I have a dietary issue in that I'm allergic to dairy. Allergic enough that I have to carry epipens with me. Disney was notified of this issue and I confirmed it with the guides at check in. We even went over in detail exactly what I could not have, as I cannot have any kind of dairy. I'm not just lactose intolerant, I'm actually allergic to all kinds of dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt etc. So this was a known fact to the guides that I could not eat anything that contained any kind of dairy product or by-product in it. And yet, this seemed to slip their mind when we were on the bus transferring between cities since they never ensured any of the dairy free snacks were available to me on the bus. They allowed everyone else in the group to take multiples of the fruit before they ever even got anywhere near where I was sitting on the bus so that by the time they did get to me, there was no fruit left as options and what was left all had dairy listed as ingredients. They didn't even offer to go and bring me a fruit. It's like they completely forgot they had it. I never even knew they had fruit until it was mentioned in passing during a conversation one day. If I hadn't thought ahead and packed my own snacks, I would have had some very hungry and very long bus trips.

Another major issue we had was on the bus ride from Berchtesgaden to Mondsee. I don't know exactly what the topic of the discussion was supposed to be about exactly, I just know that the guides decided to play German rock music turned up full blast while we were on the bus. When we complained we were told that it was the only time they had to have this discussion/talk. My mother and I spent a horrendous 2-3 hour bus trip in the back of bus in tears because the music was giving us migraines and the guides refused to turn the music down. We were not asking them to turn the music off, just play the music at a more respectable level. We were trapped inside a moving tin can with no way off. And yet, when it came time to play the "funeral music" as a fellow tour member put it, i.e. the classical music that Vienna is known for, the guides had no problems playing that at a much quieter level.

I plan on reporting these issues to Disney because apparently their philosophy of being for the enjoyment of all guests does not apply to Adventures by Disney.

There were a number of other, smaller issues but these were the 2 major issues that have basically sealed the deal for us when it comes to not travelling with ABD anymore.

I'm sure some people will think these are minor issues but to us they were pretty major.

I have a dietary issue in that I'm allergic to dairy. Allergic enough that I have to carry epipens with me. Disney was notified of this issue and I confirmed it with the guides at check in. We even went over in detail exactly what I could not have, as I cannot have any kind of dairy. I'm not just lactose intolerant, I'm actually allergic to all kinds of dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt etc. So this was a known fact to the guides that I could not eat anything that contained any kind of dairy product or by-product in it. And yet, this seemed to slip their mind when we were on the bus transferring between cities since they never ensured any of the dairy free snacks were available to me on the bus. They allowed everyone else in the group to take multiples of the fruit before they ever even got anywhere near where I was sitting on the bus so that by the time they did get to me, there was no fruit left as options and what was left all had dairy listed as ingredients. They didn't even offer to go and bring me a fruit. It's like they completely forgot they had it. I never even knew they had fruit until it was mentioned in passing during a conversation one day. If I hadn't thought ahead and packed my own snacks, I would have had some very hungry and very long bus trips.

Another major issue we had was on the bus ride from Berchtesgaden to Mondsee. I don't know exactly what the topic of the discussion was supposed to be about exactly, I just know that the guides decided to play German rock music turned up full blast while we were on the bus. When we complained we were told that it was the only time they had to have this discussion/talk. My mother and I spent a horrendous 2-3 hour bus trip in the back of bus in tears because the music was giving us migraines and the guides refused to turn the music down. We were not asking them to turn the music off, just play the music at a more respectable level. We were trapped inside a moving tin can with no way off. And yet, when it came time to play the "funeral music" as a fellow tour member put it, i.e. the classical music that Vienna is known for, the guides had no problems playing that at a much quieter level.

I plan on reporting these issues to Disney because apparently their philosophy of being for the enjoyment of all guests does not apply to Adventures by Disney.

There were a number of other, smaller issues but these were the 2 major issues that have basically sealed the deal for us when it comes to not travelling with ABD anymore.
Wow! This is shocking. I thought Jennae was doing this departure?
Sayhello

Wow! This is shocking. I thought Jennae was doing this departure?
Sayhello

She did. She was heading home afterwards and she seemed to pack it in (at least that was the impression I got) towards the end of the trip.

During the second last meal of our trip, both guides were seated at our table. Both guides received their meals before a couple other people at the table, my mother included. They sat and watched as the wait staff served 2nd and 3rd rounds of drinks to members of our party while people still had not been served their meals and they did nothing. They did not get involved until I snapped at a passing waiter that people were still waiting for their food. At the farewell dinner, again, my mother had to go and complain to Jennae that she had not gotten her full meal while other people were getting their 2nd and 3rd beers while Jennae sat there eating her dinner instead of ensuring that everyone had been served their dinners.

Overall this is just not what we have come to expect from Disney.

She did. She was heading home afterwards and she seemed to pack it in (at least that was the impression I got) towards the end of the trip.

During the second last meal of our trip, both guides were seated at our table. Both guides received their meals before a couple other people at the table, my mother included. They sat and watched as the wait staff served 2nd and 3rd rounds of drinks to members of our party while people still had not been served their meals and they did nothing. They did not get involved until I snapped at a passing waiter that people were still waiting for their food. At the farewell dinner, again, my mother had to go and complain to Jennae that she had not gotten her full meal while other people were getting their 2nd and 3rd beers while Jennae sat there eating her dinner instead of ensuring that everyone had been served their dinners.

Overall this is just not what we have come to expect from Disney.
Wow. I'm sorry to hear this. It's so not the experience I've had with Jennae or with the other Guides. I agree, if the trip didn't meet or exceed your expectations, it's probably not worth it to you to take more ABDs. The service is part of what justifies the high cost of ABD.

Sayhello

Sorry again that your trip was so below expectation! Thank you for sharing your story.

Wait-- you mean they wouldn't turn it down even though you were in tears from a migraine!!?? That's deplorable behavior! And they were using the music to drown out their discussion?

That's appalling.

GERMAN ROCK MUSIC?...........Stop the madness........I don't blame you one bit for begging for the "music" to end. I can't imagine.

I'm so sorry your trip was a disappointment. Your German rock music story reminds me of our Ireland trip where, at the request of a couple of the kids, Whiskey in the Jar was played ad nauseam every time we were on the bus for the entire tour.

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry to hear that you guys didn't have a good time. That's just crazy! I would be upset as well.

The rock music wasn't being used to drown out the discussion, it was what was being discussed. Also, we actually had a great time on our trip because we made sure we made the trip what we wanted it to be. In fact, if you look at the photos the guides took from Vienna you won't see us in any of them because we pretty much bailed early in the day each day we were there. I was disappointed in the Schoenbrunn tour so we bailed on the rest of the group activities and spent the day at the palace touring it ourselves. The next day we went to the Spanish Riding School with the group and bailed after. We loved our time in Europe. I'm actually working on a trip blog for it. It was just these 2 incidents that have turned us off ABD as a tour operator.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. More so that it was bad enough to turn you off from AbD as a tour operator. I must say I'm astonished that the guides showed no concern over making sure you had allergy friendly snacks. I am utterly flabbergasted that you wound up crying in the back of the bus for over two hours with a migraine due to blasting rock music and not one person amongst your group had enough compassion to say something to the guides. Heck I'm still reeling over hearing that a guide flat out refused to turn down blasting music that was causing you a migraine.

I am sure you have read here on the boards that experiences like that are not the norm. Most of the time you read about how amazing and wonderful the guides are and how much they play a role in making the trip a fabulous experience. Not only that but it seems that most people wind up with other fantastic people in their traveling group too. There have been mishaps on our adventures where someone fell, or was feeling ill and it always seemed the whole group would rally around that person and offer support and show concern. I can't imagine any of the groups we have traveled with ignoring someone in tears in a bus for a few hours.

I am glad to hear that you were still able to enjoy your visit to Europe. We were able to visit some of the amazing places you went to on the river cruise. They were beautiful places and I hope to visit there again some day.

I'm sorry you had a rough time on the trip, when I went on the Central Europe trip I also had Jeannae and she was fantastic. One of our very favorite guides and they've all been great. I have an extremely severe allergy as well and there were plenty of snacks made available for me. I was impressed with the level of care that was taken on every trip with regards to food. It seems odd that the ball would be dropped like this.

I remember the music presentation and everyone in our group was jamming out to it. Maybe something was wrong with the sound system? Was something else wrong on the bus ride because I remember the presentation being fairly short, we were all asking for more music later on in the day because the drive to Mondsee was only about thirty minutes. Was it a different drive that had blaring music for several hours?

I did it. I travel hacked (4 new credit cards) and booked business class Houston - London - Rome for $91.20.

I told my wife about the trip when we got all the credit cards. I wish I was recording her reaction. She could not believe we are going to Italy next year.

We are so excited.

Thanks all for the great information.

I did it. I travel hacked (4 new credit cards) and booked business class Houston - London - Rome for $91.20.

I told my wife about the trip when we got all the credit cards. I wish I was recording her reaction. She could not believe we are going to Italy next year.

We are so excited.

Thanks all for the great information.

Woot! Woot! Congratulations!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter