Have you booked an ABD for 2017?

We are on the same trip with you! :wave2:

Good!

Glad to know we will have a veteran adventurer on our trip.

This will be our first trip to Europe.

I have read your posts on travel hacking and have started planning which credit cards to get.

Good!

Glad to know we will have a veteran adventurer on our trip.

This will be our first trip to Europe.

I have read your posts on travel hacking and have started planning which credit cards to get.

Excellent!!! Feel free to ask questions. I'm always happy to help :-)

calpyso726 - this is what I have so far for credit card points:

Chase British Airways 50k bonus points for $2k spent. Then 25k bonus points for $15k spent. Total points on card 92k (including the money spent to get bonus points).

Chase Sapphire 50k bonus points for $4k. Then 5k bonus points for additional user. Total points on card 59k.

AmEx Everyday 30k bonus points for $2k. Total points on card 32k.

EmEx Starwood 30k bonus points for $3k. Total points on card 33k.

My quick review of travel rewards programs, all 4 of these can be transferred to British Airways Oneworld travel program. We will be flying American Airlines from DFW to CDG. A couple nights pretrip stay in Paris.

Total points transferred is 216k for $26k spent.

I found a website listing how many miles for BA flights based on length of trip & seat classification. Of course I can not find the website now. My notes have a nonstop flight from DFW to CDG is 100,000 miles first class. Is this a round trip amount?

Does all this look right to you? Or anybody else, please comment.

What does it do to your credit rating when you open multiple credit card lines? The higher your credit limit is to your income doesn't that have an effect on your overall credit score? Just a thought.

calpyso726 - this is what I have so far for credit card points:

Chase British Airways 50k bonus points for $2k spent. Then 25k bonus points for $15k spent. Total points on card 92k (including the money spent to get bonus points).

Chase Sapphire 50k bonus points for $4k. Then 5k bonus points for additional user. Total points on card 59k.

AmEx Everyday 30k bonus points for $2k. Total points on card 32k.

EmEx Starwood 30k bonus points for $3k. Total points on card 33k.

My quick review of travel rewards programs, all 4 of these can be transferred to British Airways Oneworld travel program. We will be flying American Airlines from DFW to CDG. A couple nights pretrip stay in Paris.

Total points transferred is 216k for $26k spent.

I found a website listing how many miles for BA flights based on length of trip & seat classification. Of course I can not find the website now. My notes have a nonstop flight from DFW to CDG is 100,000 miles first class. Is this a round trip amount?

Does all this look right to you? Or anybody else, please comment.

Well done! British Airways does charge an obscene amount for taxes and fees. But it still amounts to less than a round trip economy ticket. Also, keep in mind that the MR points from your Amex everyday card will transfer to BA at 1.25:1 so you will be losing 25% of your MR points on that transfer. If you spend $30K in one calendar year on the BA card you will be eligible for a companion pass. We did this specifically for the Italy trip but may wind up using it for another jaunt to Scotland next year. We'll see. I have all of the same cards except the BA card which I closed after snagging the last 100K deal. I had DH apply for it again this time to get another 100K and the companion pass while I worked on the Citi Prestige and Premier cards to get us to Hawaii next year.

100K miles is one way for one person for the direct flight on AA metal. BA did devalue their awards program and flights now depend not only on distance but on the day of travel and whether or not they are calling it a peak time. At a non peak time, like Tuesday October 18th DFW-CDG is 92,750 miles in first class one way for one person. The taxes and fees would be $488. The same exact flight is available to be booked with AA miles on the AA site for 85K miles in first for one person and about the same amount in taxes and flying BA metal. I did find the direct flight on AA metal available to book using BA avios in January and that one was 100K in first one way. Having checked both planes to see what the first class seats are like for each on Seat Guru (long haul one for the BA flight with connection) I would much rather have the connection flying BA metal and spend less miles since the first class seat and experience will be much nicer. I don't mind connecting in LHR when flying in first. I enjoy spending time in the Concorde Lounge, having a nice complimentary meal and drinks, booking a private cabana with a private shower, day bed and tv and booking complimentary spa treatments to enjoy while waiting for my connection. It's all part of my vacation experience.

If you are looking for first class flights for both of you each way then you are going to need another couple hundred thousand points. If you are sticking with One World I would suggest picking up a couple of Citi American Airline cards. There is one for 50K and one for 60K. Wait 8 days at least in between Citi applications for the same person. If you and your DW each get a 50K card and each get a 60K card you will have the points you need. Or spend another $15K on that BA card to qualify for a companion pass. Hope this helps!

What does it do to your credit rating when you open multiple credit card lines? The higher your credit limit is to your income doesn't that have an effect on your overall credit score? Just a thought.

Well, when I started travel hacking back in 2012 my credit score was in the high 600's - low 700 range depending on the bureau and I only had a few credit cards. My credit score is well into the 800s now across all 3 credit bureaus and I apply for 5 -8 credit or so cards per year. I'm fairly conservative with my travel hacking. Most of the serious folks do 3-5 card every 3 months. Available credit and a low utilization ratio will raise your score. I carry no balances on the cards and pay in full every month. Therefore, my utilization ratio is very low. I will also cancel a card when the first year's annual fee is due unless I plan to keep it for good. I don't cancel old cards since that will lower my average age of account and subsequently lower my score. The inquiries will knock your score down by a few points but that falls off within the first year. As you have more open credit that you don;t keep balances on you lower your utilization which then raises your score due to the new credit lines.

Great info calypso. You should have your own Travel Hacker website!

I was trying to keep wife from knowing anything about the trip, but she will have to get credit cards in her name to get the points.

How about this:

Chase British Airways 50k bonus points for $2k spent. Total points on card 52k (including the money spent to get bonus points).

Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select 30k bonus points for $1k. Total points on card 31k.

CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select 30k bonus points for $1k. Total points on card 31k.

Chase Ink Business Plus 60,000 points for $5k. Total points on card 65k.

Total on cards - 238k for $13k. That should cover first class round trip ticket from DFW to CDG.

Wife signs up for the same cards gets her ticket.

Great info calypso. You should have your own Travel Hacker website!

I was trying to keep wife from knowing anything about the trip, but she will have to get credit cards in her name to get the points.

How about this:

Chase British Airways 50k bonus points for $2k spent. Total points on card 52k (including the money spent to get bonus points).

Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select 30k bonus points for $1k. Total points on card 31k.

CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select 30k bonus points for $1k. Total points on card 31k.

Chase Ink Business Plus 60,000 points for $5k. Total points on card 65k.

Total on cards - 238k for $13k. That should cover first class round trip ticket from DFW to CDG.

Wife signs up for the same cards gets her ticket.

You can still keep her in the dark. My mom got credit cards in my dad's name so she would have the points to fly in first on their first trip to Europe on the London/Paris ABD. During the application process she would request an authorized user card in her name under his application. She would also apply for the same card in her own name under her own application. This way they would have double the points and he didn't have to figure out what to spend on what card. Neither did she for that matter because I'd add post notes to their cards LOL Sadly, my dad passed away the month before that trip and he never did get to go to Europe.

I would not bother with the Citi AA cards at 30K each. You'd be left with enough miles for only one ticket, one way booking through AA. For that, go for the 50K and 60K cards. You can always manufacture the spend using gift cards and a Blue Bird account. By the time they shut down the account you should have the spend completed. This was how we "spent" the $30K on the BA card for the companion pass. Granted that took longer and we went through three Blue Bird account shut downs along the way. I'd stick with the all the Chase cards which would give you 350K points to be transferred and used on BA. Also, keep in mind Chase has a 5/24 rule going on and if you have had 5 accounts opened from any bank in the last 24 months they will decline the application. Hopefully, you already have these cards and the points ready as you will want to book by August/September this year. Use the Chase Ink card to purchase Disney gift cards at office supply stores for 5 points per dollar to pay for you ABD trip. If you pay for this ABD trip that way you will get and additional 40K UR points you can transfer to BA. We pay for ALL of our ABD, DCL, APs, DVC dues etc. this way.

I thought the Citi AA points would transfer to BA Avios.

What are the 50k & 60k cards you mentioned?

Thanks for the tip using Disney gift cards purchased from office supply stores on Chase Ink to pay for the trip.

I thought the Citi AA points would transfer to BA Avios.

What are the 50k & 60k cards you mentioned?

Thanks for the tip using Disney gift cards purchased from office supply stores on Chase Ink to pay for the trip.

No AA points are actually AA miles that will go straight to your AA frequent flyer account without needing to do a transfer. You can book BA flights with those AA miles on AA if an when they are listed there in a saver mile category.

The 50K and 60K cards are both Citi AA card just with a better sign up bonus than 30K.

You're welcome :flower3:

We are thinking of booking the SF ABD for May 2017. We have yet to take an ABD, and this might be the way to break my other half in so we can book bigger ones in the future. We wouldn't need airfare, as we live here. Only downfall, we have done EVERYTHING on the ABD itinerary, with the exception of Silverado Vineyards. Yes, we have even been to LucasFilms.

We are thinking of booking the SF ABD for May 2017. We have yet to take an ABD, and this might be the way to break my other half in so we can book bigger ones in the future. We wouldn't need airfare, as we live here. Only downfall, we have done EVERYTHING on the ABD itinerary, with the exception of Silverado Vineyards. Yes, we have even been to LucasFilms.

The Scotland ABD was I how I broke my other half into ABD. He liked it so much that he was well on board for other ABD trips including the shorter ones. If I were in your shoes, living in the area and had already experienced everything on the itinerary I wouldn't choose an ABD trip that had nothing new to offer me. I'd say look into the Southern California one which should be a 5 - 6 hour drive from your area. I have heard that particular trip is one people will do multiple times. That way, you still won't need airfare and you are getting to experience something new.

We love ABD and I was very excited when one for Disney World was announced since we live in Florida and I wouldn't have to get airfare. When the itinerary came out it included many experiences that were similar to what we have already done with behind the scenes tours there. So, that particular ABD is not on our list. I do hope the re-vamp it, make it shorter and add experiences that aren't anything like those I've already had. Then we might book it. We did the San Francisco ABD and enjoyed it very much. That said, it isn't one that I would do again. We also did New York, and that one I would do again and the same goes for Scotland.

Now, if you are your other half are totally ok with doing things you've already done on your own and are willing to see what an ABD experience can be like then why the heck not. :tilt:

I still wish the isle of Lewis hadn't been taken off the Scotland trip. Seems like they are paring down trip itineraries to lower price. Major bummer.

I'm doing England/france again next year, as the itinerary is different enough. But I would like to see more variety in their destinations.... An all England trip, Portugal, New Zealand and Japan are on my wish list.

I still wish the isle of Lewis hadn't been taken off the Scotland trip. Seems like they are paring down trip itineraries to lower price. Major bummer.

I'm doing England/france again next year, as the itinerary is different enough. But I would like to see more variety in their destinations.... An all England trip, Portugal, New Zealand and Japan are on my wish list.

I know! I would not have minded doing Scotland again. I did request another Scotland trip on feedback with different areas to visit like they have for Italy. Hmm, I will have to look at that England/France itinerary. Who knows, it may go back on the list for round two. Japan has been on our wish list too and is one of the drop all vacation plans and do Japan if it ever becomes a reality. I would love New Zealand as well! Well this year it's Danube River cruise with the Prague add-on and Winter in Wyoming. Next year we are only doing one ABD and that's Italy.

Hi! Guess my mom and I will see you in a year!

I see you are doing the Winter Weekend in Wyoming. You will have to let us know how that is - we were considering it if they do it again next year.

Awesome! My mom will be on this trip with DH and me too.

I am looking forward to it. I met another DISer on the Copenhagen ABD and she really enjoyed it. Her pictures were great and it looks like fun. I will likely do a trip report on it and post here here on the ABD TR thread.

As a Bay Area resident, it would be very hard for me to justify the San Francisco trip. It has taken me several years to justify the Back Stage Magic trip, but we are going to do that next week! We are wrapping some other Hollywood sites/Universal along with it. My rationale for doing the BSM trip as a frequent DL visitor is to get all of the "back stage experience" and Imagineering. My husband and son have actually already toured the studios when my son interviewed a Disney employee for a school career project. I am going to try to do a "mini-trip report" on our trip focusing on the experience for a freuqent DL visitor.

If you did not want jump into one of the longer ABD trips, the NY long weekend is one that I could totally justify with all of the exclusive things you get to do.

We have booked London/Paris for June 5, 2017. Looking to add pre-days in London on our own and post days at DL Paris probably through ABD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter