Has anyone heard rumors of changes to DDP 2009

disneyfan2

<font color=red>Dreaming about a Mouse<br><font co
Just wondering if there will be any changes. I assume it will be officially announced in Aug when the 2009 package rates are released. Has anyone heard rumours(from CM's etc?)

Bump!

This is a good question :) I am waiting on pins and needles for August to find out!

There was another thread on this recently, but I couldn't locate it.

I haven't heard any rumors, but my guess is they will leave it pretty much the same for 2009. I'd guess they'll go back up a buck on both the kids and adult daily prices -- to $10.99 kids and $38.99 adult. But not much change other than that.

I expect them to eventually phase out the basic DDP, only using it for Free Dining and downsizing the menus then.

Then, the only plan they'd offer for purchase would be the Deluxe, which is priced more in line with what they have traditionally offered for dining plans. But I don't expect that to happen in 2009-- maybe 2010, maybe 2011.

I expect them to eventually phase out the basic DDP, only using it for Free Dining and downsizing the menus then.

I would hate to see that. I would not get the deluxe dining plan. You would lose too much time sitting in restaurants every day. If the basic plan was eliminated, I would probably do more quick service meals and a just a couple of sit down meals.

This is a great question and one I am interested in as well.

I hope the plan changes, but things seem to stick for 2 years before Disney makes any modifications. I do not expect we will see any changes to anything except the price.

I would hate to see that. I would not get the deluxe dining plan.
I agree. We skipped DDP on our May trip, and we ate much better for the same money. If we'd been in a budget mode, I'm sure we would have had significant savings.

However, I think the Deluxe plan has been more successful than we thought it would be. It's certainly done better than I thought it would! It would be very interesting to see the actual numbers of how they're doing with the two plans this year.

Also, people who have tried Deluxe DDP seem to love it. I've been a little surprised that we don't hear the "too much food" complaints from the Deluxe purchasers! If regular DDP is too much food, how is Deluxe not too much??? :confused3

And as I said above, the pricing of the Deluxe is more in line with what they did before DDP. If they can get the customers for $70, why charge $40?

Also, people who have tried Deluxe DDP seem to love it. I've been a little surprised that we don't hear the "too much food" complaints from the Deluxe purchasers! If regular DDP is too much food, how is Deluxe not too much??? :confused3

DH and I are super excited for the restaurants, the Deluxe DP (upgraded from free) allows us to do the better restaurants for dinner, and allows DH to get his cherished sit-down breakfasts :)

We're goin for the food! The Deluxe DDP is still cheaper than going into NYC and eating at restaurants comparable to the Cali Grill, Jiko, etc :) So, no complaints here!

I would expect to see some changes to the DDP in 2009. The question really is how extensive will it change; minor changes or major changes.

I expect an increase in price.Especially with the increase in oil and now loss of major crops due to flooding etc.

The CM's at Goofys mentioned that there will be severe cutbacks on the snack options next year.:worried:

I predict. That they will change the plan . When Universal opens Harry Potter land. I think that will give them a little competition. I am pretty sure we will see a change in 2010. Next time I am planning to go back, after this vacation.

The CM's at Goofys mentioned that there will be severe cutbacks on the snack options next year.:worried:

Ahh, so I will at least get two Mickey head treats from Goofy's this year. Since, they may very well be phased out, of the snack options. For years to come. ;)

People are smart and most people tend to maximize the DDP. I don't know anyone that wastes credits on bottled water. We all get the high end ice creams or treats. My thought is- why use a credit for JUST a rice crispy treat when I can use it for a treat that is covered in 4 toppings?! :goodvibes

I like having a plan that allows so much and has so much flexibility. I think others agree. If it means adding $4 or 5 to the plan cost, but leaving the snacks alone AND making the dessert OR appetizer an option, so be it. Others might disagree and like that the plan is 'inexpensive'.

If they make changes to downgrade the basic DDP, I'll have to rethink the DDP completely, perhaps paying for the deluxe to get what I feel is a decent plan. Maybe that's what they want us to do!

I know that DW is not out there to make US happy, they are out there to make $$$....I guess I will just have to get used to it.

People are smart and most people tend to maximize the DDP. I don't know anyone that wastes credits on bottled water. We all get the high end ice creams or treats. My thought is- why use a credit for JUST a rice crispy treat when I can use it for a treat that is covered in 4 toppings?! :goodvibes

I like having a plan that allows so much and has so much flexibility. I think others agree. If it means adding $4 or 5 to the plan cost, but leaving the snacks alone AND making the dessert OR appetizer an option, so be it. Others might disagree and like that the plan is 'inexpensive'.

If they make changes to downgrade the basic DDP, I'll have to rethink the DDP completely, perhaps paying for the deluxe to get what I feel is a decent plan. Maybe that's what they want us to do!

I know that DW is not out there to make US happy, they are out there to make $$$....I guess I will just have to get used to it.

I disagree that most people maximize the DDP. I'd venture to guess that most people don't even use all of their credits.

On a 5 night trip for 4 the difference between getting water for your snack is a value of $50 for water or $100 for a "max value" snack. That's not the value in the plan- the value is the TS credits. There are too many TS credits used for breakfast and lunch to believe that people are "maximizing" the plan!

I disagree that most people maximize the DDP. I'd venture to guess that most people don't even use all of their credits.

On a 5 night trip for 4 the difference between getting water for your snack is a value of $50 for water or $100 for a "max value" snack. That's not the value in the plan- the value is the TS credits. There are too many TS credits used for breakfast and lunch to believe that people are "maximizing" the plan!

I spose I should rewrite that to say that people I know, like DISers are more likely to be maximizers, but I guess the regular population might not think that much about it.

I won't use TS credits for breakfast, and this year we are 'forced' to use 1 for lunch at Coral Reef. We want to go to Coral Reef but there was no dinner time available for us during our trip. I will be getting the strip steak for 21.99. It's the most expensive item on the lunch menu, but I also happen to LOVE steak and could eat it every day at a TS for an entire week :)

We also will be using our CS credits for places like Cosmic Rays that offer the ribs/chicken combo. It's a ton of food for 1 CS credit. We are headed there for dinner 1 night at MK (actually the same day we are going to Coral Reef for lunch). We are going for the free DDP this year and even then, I have tried to maximize our credits.

I do think DW might be reducing the snacks available for the DDP b/c people are using their snack credits for high cost items. I know that we will use ours at goofy's for at least 2 snacks. I also won't ever use a credit for drinks or cheap items. If it's under 3.00, we will pay OOP.

I spose I should rewrite that to say that people I know, like DISers are more likely to be maximizers, but I guess the regular population might not think that much about it.

I won't use TS credits for breakfast, and this year we are 'forced' to use 1 for lunch at Coral Reef. We want to go to Coral Reef but there was no dinner time available for us during our trip. I will be getting the strip steak for 21.99. It's the most expensive item on the lunch menu, but I also happen to LOVE steak and could eat it every day at a TS for an entire week :)

We also will be using our CS credits for places like Cosmic Rays that offer the ribs/chicken combo. It's a ton of food for 1 CS credit. We are headed there for dinner 1 night at MK (actually the same day we are going to Coral Reef for lunch). We are going for the free DDP this year and even then, I have tried to maximize our credits.

I do think DW might be reducing the snacks available for the DDP b/c people are using their snack credits for high cost items. I know that we will use ours at goofy's for at least 2 snacks. I also won't ever use a credit for drinks or cheap items. If it's under 3.00, we will pay OOP.

And I'm of the opinion that it's better to use up the credits FIRST and then pay OOP for anything else. We used our snack credits for everything from a candy bar ($1) to bottles of water ($2.25) to stuffed pretzels and pastries (over $3). We never paid OOP for snacks and still had to use up 2 on the way to the airport on a candy bar and some nilla wafers! :)

Had we paid OOP early in the week for the random soda or bottle of water, etc, we'd have had way too many credits left at the end.

On our last DDP we did what you suggest, we "banked" our snack credits to use for things with the highest value and I ended up with 12/28 left on our last morning. We had a suitcase full of snacks to bring home. While that was fun, it didn't offset the extra $25+ we spend on OOP snacks. JMO.....

Just depends on how many snacks you actually buy I guess. Me? I will normally buy an ice cream/muffin/fries or some sort of snack PLUS a soda each day.

Using my snack credits up is easy, as I tend to buy 2 snacks per day anyway. I use the DDP for the food item and pay OOP for the drink.

We use every single credit. Every person I know who is a yearly disney-goer that uses the dining plan uses every single credit.

On the DxDP I may not do the same, but on the basic, it is not hard to have two meals a day and use a snack credit for water or a Mickey bar. ;)

My guess is that those using DxDDP are mostly purchasing it for convenience. Those using the regular DDP are more looking for a deal. I always got the feeling the "too much food" complaints had a hidden meaning that had little to do with how much food they received. ;)

My guess is that those using DxDDP are mostly purchasing it for convenience. Those using the regular DDP are more looking for a deal. I always got the feeling the "too much food" complaints had a hidden meaning that had little to do with how much food they received. ;)

What do you mean? That people are saying that others overeat? I don't think 2 meals a day is over-eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter