Greetings From England !! Updated 5/6 - Mission Completed - The Votes Are In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just sat here and read all your reviews. Fabulous job, love all your pics and descriptions, just made our ADR's for our next trip, and I really am thinking of adding Tusker House, your pics looked so good. Can't wait for more reviews.:thumbsup2

Yay! You had my favorite quick service lunch or dinner at the Magic Kingdom: The Anchors Aweigh tuna sandwich!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I love it. The new version of the burgers? Not so much.
And you're going to the Writer's Stop. Hmm...could the Carrot Cake Cookie be part of that plan? I hope so! I had my first one for the first time in December. :love: But I need to find a sharing buddy for it next time. It was way too much.

These have been really great reviews ! :goodvibes

I can't believe that the upstairs seating area in CHH is still a "secret" after all these years ! Many are the mellow crowded afternoons we've spent up there, feeling like we had the place to ourselves. (If they had a small pub up there it would be *perfect*.... ;) )

Never seen it roped off before, though...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of your great photos... :)

:cool1:
Columbia Harbour House is another place on my "must-try" list next time I go back to Disney! The food looks really good, and I like hearing it's a quiet place to eat in MK :thumbsup2

Hope you have a good weekend! :)

Thanks :thumbsup2: Columbia Harbour House is well worth a visit

I really enjoy your reviews! And you know what?
You were the one who mentioned the cadbury chocolate bar in Canada that sparked my idea for an Epcot chocolate tasting tour!

THANKS! :thumbsup2

Keep the report coming - it's fabulous!

Yay! bring on the chocolate :cool1:

I have just sat here and read all your reviews. Fabulous job, love all your pics and descriptions, just made our ADR's for our next trip, and I really am thinking of adding Tusker House, your pics looked so good. Can't wait for more reviews.:thumbsup2

Thanks for reading :cheer2: I thought that Tusker House was great. If you review it only on the food it's excellent so the characters are a nice bonus :)

Yay! You had my favorite quick service lunch or dinner at the Magic Kingdom: The Anchors Aweigh tuna sandwich!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I love it. The new version of the burgers? Not so much.
And you're going to the Writer's Stop. Hmm...could the Carrot Cake Cookie be part of that plan? I hope so! I had my first one for the first time in December. :love: But I need to find a sharing buddy for it next time. It was way too much.

Hey BriarRosie, the sandwich was 10 out of 10. As for the Carrot Cake Cookie .................. you'll have to wait and see ;)

These have been really great reviews ! :goodvibes

I can't believe that the upstairs seating area in CHH is still a "secret" after all these years ! Many are the mellow crowded afternoons we've spent up there, feeling like we had the place to ourselves. (If they had a small pub up there it would be *perfect*.... ;) )

Never seen it roped off before, though...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of your great photos... :)

Thanks so much for reading my rambling reports :laughing: I totally agree that a pub at Columbia Harbour House would be the icing on the cake :cool1:

Your reviews are awsome!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post:) I can't wait to read more.

[size=+1]Good morning everyone :wave2:

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend

Anyway, just a quick update from me today but I hope you enjoy it :thumbsup2

We were getting towards the end of our vacation :sad1: so we decided that we would hop over to Hollywood Studios for one last ride on the Tower Of Terror and to check out some of the shows that we hadn't had the time for on our previous visit.

After we had grabbed some Fast Passes and checked out the Beauty And The Beast Show we headed over to the other side of the park to get ready for Indiana Jones.

There was just enough time before the next show to sit in the sun and have a drink and a snack so we stopped off at Writer's Stop

I remember visiting here on our last trip and getting a great cup of coffee but I don't think we tried any of the muffins, cakes or cookies :eek: so it was time to put that right

DH ordered a Coke and decided he would like to try a Chocolate Chip Cookie

IMG_0591-1.jpg

This was a BIG Cookie and it was packed full of Chocolate Chips. He really enjoyed it. He ate half of it straight away and nibbled on the rest during the IJ show

I got my self a Latte but couldn't decide what to get to go with it. The very friendly CM behind the counter said that I just had to try one of these beauties

IMG_0592-1.jpg

Carrot Cake Cookie

Now this item is clearly designed to feed a small, sweet toothed family. It is HUGE :eek:

I grabbed a plastic knife and cut it into four pieces and took my first bite :cloud9:

Oh my word this was good :love: The Carrot Cake outer shell was so moist and light and the filling was just perfect. If you enjoy Carrot Cake (and I do) you have to try one of these. Totally delicious :woohoo:

I continued to eat this throughout the day. I think DH thought I must have bought two because whenever we sat down I would pull out another piece :laughing:

We continued around the park having a wonderful time (I really enjoyed DHS this trip) until it was time to get some liquid refreshment

Just outside the Hollywood Brown Derby a bar had been set up which I hadn't noticed before so I couldn't resist getting one of these

IMG_0625-1.jpg

Blue Margarita

Mmmmm - and another Glow Cube to add to the collection :laughing:

After our final ride on the Tower Of Terror we decided to head out of the park to spend some time back at the hotel to get ready for our exciting night ahead

Next On The Menu ................. California Grill[/size]

Linda, I am SO sorry I have not been checking in here for a few days. Real life was stressful and I started my pre-trippie, so here goes! ;)

But I am back and Ioved the Tony Roma review. We really enjoyed our meal there too. Tom got the rib "sampler" and was really impressed with it! :thumbsup2

I so wanted to try the carrot cake cookie in February and we never got around to get over to the Writer's Stop! It is on my MUST try list for summer! Promise!

And here's a kitchen sink for you!

IMG_2483.jpg

Before ............

IMG_2491.jpg

and after! :rotfl2:

Have a fun Bank Holiday today! :flower3:

Not yet tried the carrot cake cookie from WS but it's on my radar for August...is the filling cream cheese or butter cream?

Looking forward to Cali Grill

Cookies? My son loves cookies....any idea if they are a snack credit? Thanks! Looking forward to Cali Grill!

Linda you are a total inspiration to me!:worship:

You have inspired me to drink more alcohol during my upcoming trip to WDW :rotfl:

Good food I always manage in abundance - but you have shown me the way with an amazing range of alcoholic beverages!:thumbsup2

And here's a kitchen sink for you!

IMG_2483.jpg

:eek: I have never seen so much ice cream in my life ............ I want it NOW :rotfl2:

Not yet tried the carrot cake cookie from WS but it's on my radar for August...is the filling cream cheese or butter cream?

Looking forward to Cali Grill

Oooh you must try the carrot cake cookie :yay: The filling is cream cheese and is yummy

Cookies? My son loves cookies....any idea if they are a snack credit? Thanks! Looking forward to Cali Grill!

Hi there :goodvibes Yes they are a snack credit :thumbsup2

Linda you are a total inspiration to me!:worship:

You have inspired me to drink more alcohol during my upcoming trip to WDW :rotfl:

Good food I always manage in abundance - but you have shown me the way with an amazing range of alcoholic beverages!:thumbsup2

My school teacher always said I was a bad influence :rotfl2:

I knew it!! You did get that carrot cake cookie! :rotfl2:
Next time I get one, I have to find someone to split it with. It's too much for one person at one time.

hey Linda, ive not got the internet at home at the moment but whenever i pop into the Library i try to log on. I always make sure i read your food reports. youre doing a fab job and eating at all the places we want to. The carrot cake cookie is on my list- i love carrot cake but hate raisins. please dont tell me they have raisins in.
sounds like you had a great time, cant wait to read more.xxx:flower3:

I knew it!! You did get that carrot cake cookie! :rotfl2:
Next time I get one, I have to find someone to split it with. It's too much for one person at one time.

Oh but boy it's good :cool1:

hey Linda, ive not got the internet at home at the moment but whenever i pop into the Library i try to log on. I always make sure i read your food reports. youre doing a fab job and eating at all the places we want to. The carrot cake cookie is on my list- i love carrot cake but hate raisins. please dont tell me they have raisins in.
sounds like you had a great time, cant wait to read more.xxx:flower3:

Hey, thanks for checking in :thumbsup2
You are safe by the way, no hidden raisins to catch you off guard :banana:

Ooh, I like the sound of a bar outside the Brown Derby! I hope it's there in August. Did you get drinks at the Tune-In Lounge (next door to 50s Prime Time Café) at any point? We got cocktails there last year- they were STRONG! :rotfl:

Looking forward to California Grill. :thumbsup2

OHHHH, that beautiful carrot cake cookie. My one MUST when I go to the Studios. Last trip in Sept, I went there twice and they didn't have any:scared1: so I am quite looking forward to our next trip.

That Blue Margarita looks awesome, so refreshing !!

[size=+1]Hey everyone, hope you are all having a good start to the week :thumbsup2

So you may have noticed by the title of today’s review, I am nearing the end of my little culinary diary :sad1:

Hopefully I can finish it off in style though with dinner at the California Grill

We both wanted to do something special for the final night of our vacation and after checking out some of the great reviews on the DIS we agreed that the California Grill was the restaurant for us

As always we arrived nice and early for our ADR so that we could take a look around the resort and enjoy a pre-dinner drink. There was a really lovely seating area overlooking Bay Lake and it was a beautiful evening so we grabbed some drinks and headed outside

IMG_0628-1.jpg

Wildberry Margarita

I actually ordered this from the bar at The Wave and it was delicious. Much sharper than most of the other cocktails I had sampled on this trip so if you prefer a less sweet beverage then this is a great choice

DH had his usual Coke and we had a wonderful time sitting and chatting in this very peaceful setting

IMG_0629-1-1.jpg

Our ADR was for 7.35pm so we headed to the check in desk at around 7.25pm and I asked the hostess if there would be any possibility of a window table? She said that it should be fine but that it might extend the wait a little but we were more than welcome to enjoy a drink in the lounge whilst we waited …………. Perfect, we weren’t in any rush

Almost the second we got out of the elevator at CG our buzzer started to flash … now that’s quick !!

We walked over to the podium to hand back the buzzer where we received a very warm welcome and were asked if it was our first time at CG (which it was) The CM explained to us that we were welcome to pop out onto either of the Observation Decks throughout the evening and that if we had finished our dinner before the start of Wishes we were welcome to come back and view the fireworks. He also recommended that we go outside and check out what was expected to be a beautiful sunset

We were than taken to our table and I just couldn’t believe our luck. The view was fantastic

IMG_0657-1.jpg

I was so excited to be here that it almost (almost) made up for the fact that we would be flying home tomorrow

IMG_0662-1.jpg

Mickey Confetti On Our Table

Shortly after being seated our server arrived and introduced herself. She was great and also pointed out that now would be a good time to go outside and check out the sunset so we took her advice and headed outside

IMG_0652-2.jpg

Wow, Wow and once again Wow

When we arrived back at our table we were greeted with two complimentary glasses of champagne

IMG_0667-1.jpg

Champagne

IMG_0666-2-1.jpg

This is my ‘I am very, very happy’ face

Anyway onto the food ………………………

After we had placed our orders we were given some warm sour dough bread with butter and sea salt (sorry no pic) and some iced water

We both decided that we just had to try the sushi and chose two dishes that we could share

IMG_0669-1.jpg

California Roll - jumbo lump crab with avocado and cucumber

IMG_0668-1.jpg

‘Snake In The Grass’ Barbecue Eel with Shrimp Tempura, Avocado and Cucumber

Both dishes were prefect in both presentation and taste.

Everything was fresh, delicate and perfectly balanced. The sauce on the Eel was heavenly and the Eel itself literally melted in your mouth. The California Roll was also excellent but we both agreed that the ‘Snake’ stole the show

Now here is my only criticism of our evening at the California Grill …. I don’t think I had even put down my chopsticks following the last bite of sushi when our entrees arrived. This really took us both by surprise and looking back we should have said straight away that we weren’t ready for them yet (as a side note a couple sitting opposite us had their entrees delivered BEFORE they had finished their appetizers)

Anyway, here is what we chose

First up DHs entrée

IMG_0672-1.jpg

Oak-fired Fillet Of Beef - with Tillamook Cheddar Gratin, broccoli, and teriyaki barbecue

DH really enjoyed his entrée. The Beef was perfectly cooked and very tender and he thought that the teriyaki sauce was an excellent accompaniment. He surprised me by eating the broccoli as he normally hates the stuff. He also gave the potatoes a big thumbs up

And for me …………………

IMG_0671-1.jpg

Pan-seared Loch Duart Salmon - with citrus couscous, marcona almonds, sundried tomatoes, citrus nage

I really wasn’t expecting the meal to be paced in this way and I’m still not sure if this is why I didn’t enjoy my entrée but I really didn’t like it. To my taste this dish was far too sweet, and there was far too much liquid in the dish which gave an overall impression of soggy sweetness. The fish was well cooked but I only ate a couple of mouthfuls before giving up

I ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (Clos Pegase Mitsuko's Vineyard, Carneros-Napa) to accompany my salmon and this was a very light and crisp flavoured wine

When our server returned to check if we wanted dessert we asked if it was OK to take some time out before deciding as we felt that the lack of space between our previous two courses had somewhat spoiled our enjoyment of the meal. She was most apologetic and explained that they had been having a few ‘issues’ with the kitchen that evening and to take as long as we wanted

We both felt like getting some fresh air so we stepped out onto the observation deck at the back of the restaurant. There was nobody else outside and just as we got to the far end of the deck the fireworks over Epcot began to light up the sky ……………. Just perfect :cloud9:

Whilst we were outside we both decided that we would prefer to skip dessert and headed back inside to get the bill which was delivered with a nice little surprise for us to take away

IMG_0674-1.jpg

By this time we were only a few minutes away from the start of wishes so we headed outside to view them in all their magical glory …………………............... I will never get bored of watching this display and standing holding hands with my wonderful hubby with such a fantastic view was the most perfect ending to our final night in WDW :love:

So our evening at California Grill was a good one and I’m not going to dwell on the slightly rushed service because overall we both had a wonderful evening and the majority of our food was delicious

popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:: out of popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

By the way, we shared the chocolate cake back at our hotel with a hot cup of coffee and warm smiles

Coming up next ……………….. A Fond Farewell In Downtown Disney[/size]

Ooh, I like the sound of a bar outside the Brown Derby! I hope it's there in August. Did you get drinks at the Tune-In Lounge (next door to 50s Prime Time Café) at any point? We got cocktails there last year- they were STRONG! :rotfl:

Looking forward to California Grill. :thumbsup2

Hello there :goodvibes thanks for the tip on the Tune-In Lounge .... it's already on the list for our next trip :thumbsup2

OHHHH, that beautiful carrot cake cookie. My one MUST when I go to the Studios. Last trip in Sept, I went there twice and they didn't have any:scared1: so I am quite looking forward to our next trip.

That Blue Margarita looks awesome, so refreshing !!

They will have a small, mad English woman throwing a tantrum if they run out of Carrot Cake Cookies when I next visit :rotfl2:

I am SO sorry to hear that the rushed service didn't let you enjoy your meal to the fullest! :sad2:
That's why we LOVE Ron so much, he paces our meals European style ;)!

Your salmon definitely looks like swimming in sauce. Mine was much dryer, as you can see from the photo and even though there was a light sweetness to the couscous it really went well with the salmon.

IMG_4563.JPG

The chocolate cake is SO yummy there. Tom got a piece for his birthday and we shared it! :cloud9: (I don't have to add that I adore chocolate, do I ;))

I am SO sorry to see your dining review coming to an end! It was so much fun "coming along" with you! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter